Summer Transfer Window 2019

I can’t see anyone coming in for Ralph this summer after half a season here and narrowly avoiding the drop. Howe, Garcia, Santo and Benitez have all been consistently performing for longer and may feel they’ve achieved all they can at their respective clubs.

Disagree. Levy thinks he can waltz in to ours for anyone, and will believe he’s a cut price Klopp.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I can’t see anyone coming in for Ralph this summer after half a season here and narrowly avoiding the drop. Howe, Garcia, Santo and Benitez have all been consistently performing for longer and may feel they’ve achieved all they can at their respective clubs.

Absolutely right. Ralph has lost more games than he's won with Saints, no top club will be running after him as of yet.

If, IF, IF, we are looking at spending around 20m on a winger then that suggests to me that we must have a decent budget for this summer because surely centre back, striker and arguably right back are higher priorities.

It also makes me wonder if we’ve already agreed some deals for outgoing players.

I'd be surprised if a right back is a priority, I think Valery is pretty much nailed on first choice now, they seem to like him a lot and yes he makes mistakes but I think they are willing to accept that as long as he keeps improving. I then think Ramsey (who is also highly rated) and JWP will provide the cover.

Presuming of course we can shift Cedric.

I just can't see us paying like £15-20 million for a right back to shove Valery out of the team after they gave him a new contract and said how impressed they have been with him. Especially as I think more focus is going to be put on developing our own now we have a manager who can improve players.

I'd reckon clear focus is probably on centre-back as we need a real quality player there, then a quality pacey attacker, maybe two (one more striker focused), then I reckon another DM as well.

Not sure about Rogic I have to say.. Does not seem to fit in to our system.

If we are to buy a midfielder and if Leeds fail to get promoted, then it has to be Kalvin Phillips in my opinion.

This lad can play anywhere in the midfield, great passer, aggressive, athletic and young... A future International I think.

He certainly would fit our template.

I'd be surprised if a right back is a priority, I think Valery is pretty much nailed on first choice now, they seem to like him a lot and yes he makes mistakes but I think they are willing to accept that as long as he keeps improving. I then think Ramsey (who is also highly rated) and JWP will provide the cover.

I just can't see us paying like £15-20 million for a right back to shove Valery out of the team after they gave him a new contract and said how impressed they have been with him. Especially as I think more focus is going to be put on developing our own now we have a manager who can improve players.

I'd reckon clear focus is probably on centre-back as we need a real quality player there, then a quality pacey attacker, maybe two (one more striker focused), then I reckon another DM as well.

I tend to agree (both with the theory we don't need one and the theory that we won't think we need one), but it did sound like Maehle was pretty close to coming here in January, and didn't because his club didn't want to sell mid season.

Someone else has also said that Hasenhuttl likes to rotate his full backs, so not out of the question he might bring another one in. If Valery is playing half the games that still helps him develop, and if we have two who are both good we might be able to make a profit on one like we did with Clyne & Chambers.

I’m hoping Cedric is one of the ‘easier’ to shift.

Year left on his contract & despite what we think, will retain a decent reputation in Europe.

Certainly fits the profile. Quick left-back, who's being eyed-up to have a future as a left-sided centre-back.
5' 8" centre back? Unless he's got a hell of a jump on him, I suspect his career will be spent at full back.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

5' 8" centre back? Unless he's got a hell of a jump on him, I suspect his career will be spent at full back.

Yeah that 5’9” Cannavaro was useless at CB.

My mate who has Bristol ST raves about him, very good on the ball etc. This is he wasn’t even getting in their team towards the end of the season, as he ‘wasn’t ready for championship’. Which makes me think the £15m they want would be insane.

He might well be brilliant in a few years and £15m might look a bargain, but I don’t think we’re in a position to take that risk with so many other positions more of a priority this summer

My mate who has Bristol ST raves about him, very good on the ball etc. This is he wasn’t even getting in their team towards the end of the season, as he ‘wasn’t ready for championship’. Which makes me think the £15m they want would be insane.

He might well be brilliant in a few years and £15m might look a bargain, but I don’t think we’re in a position to take that risk with so many other positions more of a priority this summer

Exactly the type of signing we should be making IMO.

Young, English talent. Sign, develop, sell...

Some will disagree I'm sure, but I would like to see us try and sign Gary Cahill on a free.

Yes, a big step away from our usual style of transfer. However we need to get our defence sorted and have a proper leader in there. He's won everything with Chelsea and barring any major injuries, he'll be good for a season or two.

Wages might be an issue though - as they always have been to be fair.

Mitrovic is quality, proper target man that we've struggled without since Pelle left. Holds the ball up, strong, good finisher, no brainer. £30m is the new £15m. Not sure whether we could use Targett as bait for that deal and bring in this young lad from Bristol City to learn from Bertrand.

Mitrovic is quality, proper target man that we've struggled without since Pelle left. Holds the ball up, strong, good finisher, no brainer. £30m is the new £15m. Not sure whether we could use Targett as bait for that deal and bring in this young lad from Bristol City to learn from Bertrand.

Is he a good finisher though? The times I've watched him play he seems to need 3-4 attempts to get it on target.

Doesn’t suit Ralph’s Style, at all. Can’t see it happening, not at £30m anyway.

Doesn’t suit Ralph’s Style, at all. Can’t see it happening, not at £30m anyway.

Well since Ralph has taken over I've watched us bang a hell of a lot of long balls straight up the pitch, and then watched our forward line win practically no headers or demonstrate any ability to hold the ball up whatsoever, so the ball comes straight back at us. So I think someone like Mitrovic would work pretty well the way we currently play especially in the later parts of games when we need to relieve the pressure on our back line. I

Is he a good finisher though? The times I've watched him play he seems to need 3-4 attempts to get it on target.

He's a poor finisher who had a purple patch and people got carried away.

People still say Austin is a good finisher on here and he's dog****.

Exactly the type of signing we should be making IMO.

Young, English talent. Sign, develop, sell...

Agree in principle. But what if we use our limited funds to sign him at the expense of a more experienced, battle hardened CB and he makes a load of errors / is physically outmuscled and we get relegated as a result. Would that be the right thing to do? He literally can’t get into a mid table championship side’s defence. Not sure we have the money to buy players who aren’t capable of being immediately stepping into the first team and making us better. For clarity, think he has played like 5 games as CB in his entire career

As someone said on another thread, we should be looking to bid for someone like Tomori from Chelsea. When we played Derby in the cup he already looked better than what we've got.

Moreover, the club's PR should really start hammering on RH's similarities to Klopp in terms of style of play, enthusiasm etc. Klopp's stock is so high at the moment that it could give us a slight edge in recruitment, particularly with younger British players who might see us as a fast track to playing at that level and in that style.

Well since Ralph has taken over I've watched us bang a hell of a lot of long balls straight up the pitch, and then watched our forward line win practically no headers or demonstrate any ability to hold the ball up whatsoever, so the ball comes straight back at us. So I think someone like Mitrovic would work pretty well the way we currently play especially in the later parts of games when we need to relieve the pressure on our back line. I

Fair point. I guess it comes down to what formation Ralph wants to play.

If it’s 4222 we’d still need a ‘quick play of the shoulder’ type CF to play with him. He’d effectively replace Ings (not saying that a bad thing), but I can’t see us spending c.£50m on 2 strikers in one window.

If he’s looking to play 1 up top and have a focal point then I’d be all for it.

Personally I can’t see it happening.

According to...?

Everyone know that. Are you trying to suggest penalties count as goals in a player’s total?

I’ll grant they count towards goal difference and the actual score.

Yes, I'm puzzled why you would think otherwise! Players who win the Premier League golden boot have penalties included in their total.

I always look at the non penalty table being the purist

I met the guy recently; nice lad and he's hoping to play for England u 21,s in the summer tournament. I'm 6 ft and he's a fair bit taller than me!!

I met the guy recently; nice lad and he's hoping to play for England u 21,s in the summer tournament. I'm 6 ft and he's a fair bit taller than me!!
Yeah, I made a dog's dinner of the conversation from 1.78m, which is what Wikipedia claims he is. 5.8 feet is not the same as 5' 8". He's 5' 10" according to that - but I'm more than prepared to believe he's taller, having never seen him (or maybe I have but didn't notice him).

A tall left sided centre back with pace is something we could seriously use (albeit he sounds like one for the future).