Summer Transfer Window 2019

Heisenberg

Do we have to sign Ings?

Seems like a nice guy and he has quality but he's capable of a good 30 minutes once a week. That's not what we need.

Ideally we'd keep Long and Obafemi so we are sorted for pace and clear out all our other strikers.

Outs

Forster

Cedric

Stephens

Hoedt

Classie

Carillo

Austin

El Useless

Gallagher

A preseason to have a look at

Boufal

Reed

Hesketh

McQueen (if fit)

Ins

Right Back

Centre Back (2 if we can shift Hoedt and Stephens)

CF

We also need new contracts for Hoj and Redmond.

Outs

Forster

Cedric

Stephens

Hoedt

Classie

Carillo

Austin

El Useless

Gallagher

Boufal

Reed

Hesketh

McQueen (if fit)

Ins

Right Back

CF

Yup, this.

Outs

Forster

Cedric

Stephens

Hoedt

Classie

Carillo

Austin

El Useless

Gallagher

Boufal

Reed

Hesketh

McQueen (if fit)

Ins

Right Back

CF

We’re going to have a hard time shifting several of those outs on a permanent basis.

ZfmfZ6c

Expect maybe something like this (green are slots for new signings, yellow loans, red permanent exits). Took the list off wikipedia (and added Klarer).

A few explanations:

Think we will continue with 3-4-3. Many of our players (almost all our defenders and central midfielders) play better when we go with 3 CBs.

I have kept McCarthy though I would be surprised if a new promoted club offered him their number 1 spot. We won't stand in is way but that doesn't mean Forster stays as number 2, we will get someone else in.

Just because Ings' move isn't being made officially permanent until this summer doesn't mean we can't sell him. We can.

McQueen expect will be sent on loan, would have been permanent if not for his injury.

Romeu lacks mobility. Not so much a problem for a CB like Vestergaard but a bit more of an issue for a midfielder in a Hasenhüttl team. Reed performed much better than Sims did on loan yet Sims was able to force his way into the squad, no reason why Reed can't do so too in preseason.

Armstrong and Boufal were fighting over a single place in the squad. Today sealed it, what an utterly pointless player.

Don't think the other outs require much of an explanation.

Today was RH showing Ross ‘you don’t know what you are doing - leave transfer dealings to mentally competent adults. Now sort the paperwork out and make me a coffee, there’s a good lad’. That’s what I’d be saying in RH’s shoes.

Club are going to have to take some serious baths from the gross negligence leaving Les and Ross in charge you can decide which is dumb and dumber - to create an appalling catalogue of insanity. Can’t fathom some of their decisions at all.

Forster - would suggest the club offer him 25pc settlement tax free up front although he will probably want more. Clasie will be a zero sum release eg small fee vs wages. Stephens will get a buyer but he needs a monster of a manager to sort his concentration out in the Champ. Moi - loaned out.

Armstrong is an Ok squad player and we only paid lower champ/L1 fee for him anyway.

So I would retain

Gunn

Valery

Bertrand

Bednarek

Vest

Yoshi

A Jones

Romeu

PEH

Sims

Redmond

JWP

Ings - we have to

T Johnson

Slattery, Ramsay et al

Undecided

Targett

Long

Go

Austin

Stephens

Lemina

Moi - no chance of selling, will be a loan

Clasie

McQueen

Forster

McCarthy - like him, but need to raise funds

Cedric

Hoedt

Carrillo

Boufal

Amazing when you lost it - and sure I’ve missed some of the deadwood there, how appalling Les and Wilson have been.

Outs

Forster

Cedric

Stephens

Hoedt

Classie

Carillo

Austin

El Useless

Gallagher

Boufal

Reed

Hesketh

McQueen (if fit)

Ins

Right Back

CF

Spot on I would say

Today was RH showing Ross ‘you don’t know what you are doing - leave transfer dealings to mentally competent adults. Now sort the paperwork out and make me a coffee, there’s a good lad’. That’s what I’d be saying in RH’s shoes.

Club are going to have to take some serious baths from the gross negligence leaving Les and Ross in charge you can decide which is dumb and dumber - to create an appalling catalogue of insanity. Can’t fathom some of their decisions at all.

Forster - would suggest the club offer him 25pc settlement tax free up front although he will probably want more. Clasie will be a zero sum release eg small fee vs wages. Stephens will get a buyer but he needs a monster of a manager to sort his concentration out in the Champ. Moi - loaned out.

Armstrong is an Ok squad player and we only paid lower champ/L1 fee for him anyway.

So I would retain

Gunn

Valery

Bertrand

Bednarek

Vest

Yoshi

A Jones

Romeu

PEH

Sims

Redmond

JWP

Ings - we have to

T Johnson

Slattery, Ramsay et al

Undecided

Targett

Long

Go

Austin

Stephens

Lemina

Moi - no chance of selling, will be a loan

Clasie

McQueen

Forster

McCarthy - like him, but need to raise funds

Cedric

Hoedt

Carrillo

Boufal

Amazing when you lost it - and sure I’ve missed some of the deadwood there, how appalling Les and Wilson have been.

Good job they’ve both left & neither of them got promoted.

How much deadwood can we realistically clear; how far will Goa back the manager beyond any sales; and will it require us to sell any of our prized assets.

These questions take on special significance this window as we don’t have the windfall from a VVD to reinvest and we are under less pressure to sell our better players who are unlikely to walk straight into a top side.

Do we have to sign Ings?

Seems like a nice guy and he has quality but he's capable of a good 30 minutes once a week. That's not what we need.

Ideally we'd keep Long and Obafemi so we are sorted for pace and clear out all our other strikers.

No we don’t

How much deadwood can we realistically clear; how far will Goa back the manager beyond any sales; and will it require us to sell any of our prized assets.

These questions take on special significance this window as we don’t have the windfall from a VVD to reinvest and we are under less pressure to sell our better players who are unlikely to walk straight into a top side.

I’d sell lemina. Show pony that likes to do too much on the ball in our own half often giving it away. If we could get 25mill plus I’d prob take it. Nit sure RH will turn him in to a consistent player.

I’d sell lemina. Show pony that likes to do too much on the ball in our own half often giving it away. If we could get 25mill plus I’d prob take it. Nit sure RH will turn him in to a consistent player.
I would focus on selling the players who aren't good enough for the PL instead.

Here's what I think, being realistic about the amount of sales and purchases that are likely to happen:

Gunn

McCarthy (why would he leave to sit on a different bench?)

Forster (no one will want him)

Valery

***New***

Yoshida

Vestergaard

Bednarek

***New***

Bertrand

Targett

Hojbjerg

Lemina

Romeu

***New***

Reed

JWP

Boufal

Redmond

Armstrong

Long

Obafemi

Ings

***New***

We need to add:

A right back, so we have two of them (unless Reed can do it)

A better CB

A midfielder who can pass

A striker who can bring others into the game and finish

Obviously it would be great to add another attacking midfielder but are we going to sign 5 quality players? Doubt it.

So outs are Stephens, Hoedt, Gallagher, Austin. I'm sure we would like to get rid of a keeper but I don't know if that will happen.

The other question is whether someone like Yoshida wants a move. Maybe something like that could happen, or if we got a big bid for Lemina.

Here's what I think, being realistic about the amount of sales and purchases that are likely to happen:

Gunn

Valery

***New***

Yoshida

Vestergaard

Bednarek

***New***

Bertrand

Targett

Hojbjerg

Lemina

Romeu

***New***

Reed

JWP

Boufal

Redmond

Armstrong

Long

Obafemi

Ings

***New***

We need to add:

A better CB

Obviously it would be great to add another attacking midfielder but are we going to sign 5 quality players? Doubt it.

So outs are Stephens, Hoedt, Gallagher, Austin. I'm sure we would like to get rid of a keeper but I don't know if that will happen.

The other question is whether someone like Yoshida wants a move. Maybe something like that could happen, or if we got a big bid for Lemina.

Good points.

I would add Hesketh to the squad. I’ve seen the ability he has, just needs the coaching which Hass can provide.

Gunn

Valery

***New***

Yoshida

Vestergaard

Bednarek

***New***

Bertrand

Targett

Hojbjerg

Lemina

Romeu

***New***

Reed

JWP

Boufal

Redmond

Armstrong

Long

Obafemi

Ings

***New***

We need to add:

A better CB

That may indeed be a realistic assessment but the overriding thought on viewing that as our potential squad is an overwhelming mediocrity at best.

The striker options still look weak if we are relying on the 65 minute/half a season Ings,Long,and the untied Obafemi even with a new striker (depending on who it is).

Ideally I'd like to see upgrades throughout and RH given the means to really put his mark on the squad. Doubt it will happen to that degree though.

That may indeed be a realistic assessment but the overriding thought on viewing that as our potential squad is an overwhelming mediocrity at best.

The striker options still look weak if we are relying on the 65 minute/half a season Ings,Long,and the untied Obafemi even with a new striker (depending on who it is).

Ideally I'd like to see upgrades throughout and RH given the means to really put his mark on the squad. Doubt it will happen to that degree though.

I agree, but unfortunately we will be stuck with most of the current bunch for a while because they are mostly overpaid relative to their ability.

I think we will sign a cb, a creative midfielder and a striker and maybe another rb. I think that will be enough, particularly if the likes of boufal and Reed are kept.

Those positions are what we need.

All good enough to start I would say.

Gunn

Valery

***New***

Yoshida

Vestergaard

Bednarek

***New***

Bertrand

Targett

Hojbjerg

Lemina

Romeu

***New***

Reed

JWP

Boufal

Redmond

Armstrong

Long

Obafemi

Ings

***New***

We need to add:

A better CB

Where’s Sims? We also need more pace in attacking areas if we’re going to play RH’s system. I also worry that Long has gone from a dead cert to leave to key squad member on the back of a recent purple patch. If Long reverts to Long and Ings is injured on and off next season, we’re going to be very reliant on the one new striker.

Needless to say, the question is whether Goa will be willing to bankroll four or five new players who are capable of improving the first XI (maybe less important at RB where cover should be sufficient) if we can only shift, for example, Cedric and Austin for reasonable sums.

Edited by shurlock

Where’s Sims? We also need more pace in attacking areas if we’re going to play RH’s system. I also worry that Long has gone from a dead cert to leave to key squad member on the back of a recent purple patch. If Long reverts to Long and Ings is injured on and off next season, we’re going to be very reliant on the one new striker.

Needless to say, the question is whether Goa will be willing to bankroll four or five new players who are capable of improving the first XI (maybe less important at RB where cover should be sufficient) if we can only shift, for example, Cedric and Austin for reasonable sums.

I think Sims is a sub at best, sadly. Too untidy on the ball for PL.

I agree about strikers but can't see us shifting Austin and Long and Gallagher and/or getting out of the Ings deal. Plus we need to shift Carillo again for next season (unless Ralph rates him).

I forgot about Cedric!

I think we could quite easily find buyers or loan options for:

Austin

Gallagher

Cedric

Hesketh

Reed

Targett

McCarthy

More difficult certainly to get rid of permanently would be:

Carillo

Clasie

Boufal

Stephens

Forster

Elyounoussi

Also - lets be honest, we have been poor for two and half years so its not just fringe players who have let us down, its the ones that have played as well.

Wouldn't suprise me if we listened to offers for Yoshida and possibly one or two other suprising ones if RH felt he could use the cash to improve the squad.

For me we need 5 additions:

RB

CB

CM

2 x pacy forwards

In terms of the chances of selling players, this is my take on it:

Forster - would need to be prepared to take a massive wage drop. Even then, uncertain as a 3-0 defeat was his first appearance in nearly 2 years.

McCarthy - I'd rather not sell him, but seeing he's out of the first team, there might be interest.

Cedric - not sure whether we'd get the kind of money we hope, but sellable.

Stephens - doubt there'd be a big fee, but championship teams might take him off our hands.

Hoedt - we'll take a huge loss, but someone might be mad enough to take him on the continent.

Yoshida - don't want to lose him and we wouldn't get much, but plenty of teams would take him.

Jones - was expecting him to feature after coming back from loan. Maybe we'll see him against Huddersfield? Otherwise, put him out on loan again.

Targett - could have sold him for a good fee last summer. Glad we didn't and hope we keep him unless RH thinks Vokins is ready to play more of a part.

Romeu - makes the team look more solid when he plays, so wouldn't sell, unless RH sees an upgrade available.

Lemina - has been a huge disappointment considering how good he can look. Would cash in if we can.

Reed - would like to see him given a chance. Definitely would attract interest in championship if not.

Clasie - doubt we'll get much of a fee, but Holland seems most likely destination

McQueen - terrible injury record, so unlikely to get much of a fee.

Hesketh - was hoping he'd be given a chance this season. Has been good on loan and hope he can impress in pre-season rather than being sold.

Boufal - hasn't done much on lan this season to justify a big fee. We'll see if he is given a chance in pre-season, or whether anyone's prepared to buy him.

Moi - another terrible buy. We would be lucky to give him away.

Austin - not suited to our style and goalscoring record not great recently, but would still attract interest possibly.

Carillo - unlikely to recoup much of the ridiculous amount we spent on him, but can't see him coming back into the first team. Need to shift and move on.

Gallagher - despite our woes up front hasn't been given a chance this season, which indicates he never will, as he's been fit as far as I know.

Long - until his recent form, I assumed he'd be going, but now reckon RH may keep him. Not worth much in transfer fee, anyway.

Ings - if we can cancel the £20m transfer and invest that money in someone else instead, it would be as good as selling someone IMO.

I didn't even comment on Gunn, Bertrand, Vestegaard, Bednarek, Valery, Hojbjerg, JWP, Armstrong, Redmond, Sims or Obafemi, as I don't see any chance of them leaving. We need a big clear out when you look at the (lack of) quality overall. How brave will the club be?

could not agree more, although we have played Redmond quite far forward with some success, which has helped filled a gap to a certain degree.

In addition to getting a striker that can offer pace, power and finishing (hopefully with a first touch too) I think we need to upgrade in terms of forward players like Redmond that offer dribbling skills and pace and if possible some goals.

But we must get rid of players first to free up funds. Our hands are tied at the moment with so much wages going out the door to players offering us nothing or next to nothing

I didn't even comment on Gunn, Bertrand, Vestegaard, Bednarek, Valery, Hojbjerg, JWP, Armstrong, Redmond, Sims or Obafemi, as I don't see any chance of them leaving. We need a big clear out when you look at the (lack of) quality overall. How brave will the club be?

Strangely though, Hojberg and JWP are our most saleable assets, and likely to be subject to most interest, unless there is renewed interest in Redmond on the back of recent form.

could not agree more, although we have played Redmond quite far forward with some success, which has helped filled a gap to a certain degree.

In addition to getting a striker that can offer pace, power and finishing (hopefully with a first touch too) I think we need to upgrade in terms of forward players like Redmond that offer dribbling skills and pace and if possible some goals.

But we must get rid of players first to free up funds. Our hands are tied at the moment with so much wages going out the door to players offering us nothing or next to nothing

don't forget, we are (probably) still pay all/part of Mark Hughes (and team) salary.

amazing stuff

In the past, we've obviously had title-defining players as we see now such as VVD and Mane, and general top 4 quality players- our current squad has none of those players now.

Title Contender: None

Top 6 Starter: None

Top 6 Squad Member: Lemina, Bertrand

Top 10/Best of Rest Starter or Squad Member: Romeu, JWP, Ings (benefit of doubt), Redmond, PEH, Bednarek

11-17th Player/Squad Member: McCarthy, Yoshida, Vestegaard, Long, Armstrong, Gunn, Targett, Sims, Valery

Relegation/Championship Worthy Player/Squad Member: Stephens, Austin, Elyounoussi, Gallagher, Forster

then we still have: Obafemi, Carrillo, Hoedt, Cedric?, Boufal, Clasie, Reed, Mcqueen to categorise too.

I might have been either generous or harsh with some such as Lemina, but the problem is the wages- players like Bednarek are on Championship level wages whilst Forster and Stephens are collectively taking in £120k a week.

Gallagher - despite our woes up front hasn't been given a chance this season, which indicates he never will, as he's been fit as far as I know.

Sam G was in line to start yesterday but did his ankle ligament in Friday's training session. Not been the luckiest of seasons for him.

You know how some posters have suggested we sign Yussuf Poulsen (not happening, unlike Augustin Leipzig actually play him)? And you know how we would like to get rid of Carrillo but don't know who would take him, other than our old friend Pellegrino, but Leganés might not have the money? Well, as luck would have it Leganés have a player who is very similar to Poulsen (height, athleticism, work rate, even the same first name!), is younger and has been their best player. Carrillo + cash?

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/323547/Show/Youssef-En-Nesyri

How long before we get linked with Welbeck?

One of the greatest enigma in the Prem. Never been more than a 5 goal a season man in the league yet many claim we’d be deluded not to want him because he bangs them in against Malta, Brentford and Vorskla Poltava.

Le Soir in Belgium are reporting we have offered €23.5m for Standard Liege's Moussa Djenepo.

https://www.lesoir.be/222439/article/2019-05-06/mercato-southampton-offre-235-millions-pour-djenepo

Never heard of him, but Google says he has 11 goals in 38 games this season (3 in 5 in the Europa League) and plays in any of the three positions behind the striker.

Edited by GGalpin

Le Soir in Belgium are reporting we have offered €23.5m for Standard Liege's Moussa Djenepo.

https://www.lesoir.be/222439/article/2019-05-06/mercato-southampton-offre-235-millions-pour-djenepo

Never heard of him, but Google says he has 11 goals in 38 games this season (3 in 5 in the Europa League) and plays in any of the three positions behind the striker.

Good spot. 20 years old. Never heard of him. Sign him up! ;)

I would find that move very surprising to be honest, at least at that price. Unless we're getting a windfall by selling one of the players we don't want to sell, we simply don't have the cash to take that sort of a risk this summer. He could be a mane, but equally he could be an Ely.

All out for a centre back and centre forward first IMHO, then whatever's left on a right back and attacking midfielder. I know he fits the final position of those, but that much for someone entirely unknown? Not until we know what budget we have left, which we won't know until we discover how much of the dead wood we can shift, and for how much.

I think the biggest issue we will have shifting a lot of our players is not that their won't be takers, it will be that most of them will be like mid table Spanish, Italian, French, Dutch sides, plus the Championship, and many of these players are going to be on like £45 - 65k a week and those clubs simply won't pay those wages.

So we are going to have to shift them whilst probably subsidising a lot of their wages for a years and I think wages for us is going to be a bigger issue than transfer funds, I think the club has transfer funds and can stagger things over the years but the age bill is tighter.

The likes of Long, Austin, Cedric, Forster, Boufal, Hoedt, Carrilo, are probably amongst are highest earners, many in the £60-70k a week bracket and there are limited European and Championship clubs who can afford to pay those sort of wages, especially outside their best players which none of these will be.

He’s young, so if he’s hungry he’s therefore guanreteed to improve. Despite never having heard of him until 20 minutes ago we HAVE to sign him. If we miss out on him Ross Wilson is an incompetent fool who is responsible for everything wrong at this club.

I would find that move very surprising to be honest, at least at that price. Unless we're getting a windfall by selling one of the players we don't want to sell, we simply don't have the cash to take that sort of a risk this summer. He could be a mane, but equally he could be an Ely.

All out for a centre back and centre forward first IMHO, then whatever's left on a right back and attacking midfielder. I know he fits the final position of those, but that much for someone entirely unknown? Not until we know what budget we have left, which we won't know until we discover how much of the dead wood we can shift, and for how much.

You say that, but the odds are that if the story is true and we're willing to spend that kind of money he won't be unknown to the scouts.

Mind you we watched Elyounoussi for six years and look how that's ended up :rolleyes:

I would not be surprised to see us signing a decent Asian player given our ownership. I would also like to see Boufal given another chance with his pace and risk taking encouraged rather than stifled.

As long as it’s not that Sum Ting-Wong guy.

That's a youtube video of him with a horrible filter and a bad generic 'stoner rock' guitar loop.

He looks pretty quick and fairly strong on the ball. Can't really tell anything else about him really as the Pro League isn't exactly the strongest. 8 goals in 33 there probably works out to about 4-5 premier league goals a season if he played every match, I'd guess. So possibly about as effective as Redmond if he can settle into the league. Seems a bit expensive for that sort of goal return, I suppose that we are gambling that Ralph can push him to significantly improve.