Luca Connell

Mbwana Samatta

ohikhuaeme omoijuanfo

Paulhino (haeken)

Ben Heinrichs

Niklas Sule

Ings

Poulsen

we have offered €23.5m for Standard Liege's Moussa Djenepo.

giphy.gif

I would not be surprised to see us signing a decent Asian player given our ownership. I would also like to see Boufal given another chance with his pace and risk taking encouraged rather than stifled.

We've been linked with Ritsu Doan who plays for Gronigen (links further up this thread), but why would signing a Japanese, or even Korean, player appeal to Gao ? Not likely to increase the profile in China which was said to be one of his hopes on buying into the club.

Given the global nature of the market nowadays it's really hard to know enough - there will always be a curve ball out there. Irrespective of how they turned out I'm not sure how many of us had heard of mane, pelle, tadic, Ely, vesti, Maya, gaston, Carrillo, boufal etc.

All I know is that I want a reasonably experienced centre back with a mouth on him capable of giving some leadership and organisation, and we desperately need some pace up front. A centre forward with some physical presence, but still able to actually move (and score every now and then, obviously ...) would be a plus.

Right back is the trickiest position. Not so good he expects to start in front of valery, stopping his progress, but good enough to play when called upon. To that end, I think a loan might work. Plus I suspect if valery has a good season he'll be a wanted man next summer, so could defer the proper replacement for a year (while saving some cash).

Chances are, at least one of the signings will be someone I've very limited, if any, knowledge of.

I hope we change strategy a little and pay for better players.

We signed Forster, and gave him what, a 6 year deal for £90k per week?

why not pay someone better and pay them the same contract but over 4 years ffs

Forster was a good keeper until he got injured. Seems far less mobile now.

For me we need a real line-leading centre forward, we’ve never been the same since we lost Pelle. Appreciate Pelle wasn’t the most mobile so may not have been ideal for Ralph, but someone who is quick but powerful with it is a necessity imo. No surprise that we’re linked with Che Adams because from the little i’ve seen of him that’s what he can bring, a real tough opponent for any defender. Austin, Ings, Long do not have the presence to be a consistent threat in this league imo.

Yes I agree tbh- I actually would prefer we change our wage structure slightly- any incoming transfers should not be offered more than £40k a week- and if that reduces the pool of players we get to choose from then so be it- we have players like Elyounoussi on like £60k a week, who if I recall correctly said something during the international break about how that has set him up for life. Bednarek I think is an example on the lower end of the wage scale (like £20-30k) in comparison to his peers

That way, it gives a sense of progression and maybe a motivation to improve to get on even bigger wages, either with us or for a top 6 club, and equally, should the player not perform, then well it makes it easier to offload too- and perhaps we might be doing that anyway with the way Ralph went on about buying players who would be 'on their 2nd contract'

If they do perform fairly consistently well after say 2 seasons, then yeah sure, offer them £80k-100k (Or sell them!)- I feel that is the balance we need- superstars who warrant that pay (like Palace do with Zaha or how Leicester do with Vardy), and the rest all on £40k a week or less. I guess that might even be the agenda soon anyway- a solid 13/14 players and then the rest from the academy on £20k or less.

Stephens/Hoedt/Elyounoussi/Boufal/Austin and other players on bench/on loan should never be earning more than a starting 11 player, and as a club we have far too many of those.

Yes I agree tbh- I actually would prefer we change our wage structure slightly- any incoming transfers should not be offered more than £40k a week- and if that reduces the pool of players we get to choose from then so be it- we have players like Elyounoussi on like £60k a week, who if I recall correctly said something during the international break about how that has set him up for life. Bednarek I think is an example on the lower end of the wage scale (like £20-30k) in comparison to his peers

That way, it gives a sense of progression and maybe a motivation to improve to get on even bigger wages, either with us or for a top 6 club, and equally, should the player not perform, then well it makes it easier to offload too- and perhaps we might be doing that anyway with the way Ralph went on about buying players who would be 'on their 2nd contract'

If they do perform fairly consistently well after say 2 seasons, then yeah sure, offer them £80k-100k (Or sell them!)- I feel that is the balance we need- superstars who warrant that pay (like Palace do with Zaha or how Leicester do with Vardy), and the rest all on £40k a week or less. I guess that might even be the agenda soon anyway- a solid 13/14 players and then the rest from the academy on £20k or less.

Stephens/Hoedt/Elyounoussi/Boufal/Austin and other players on bench/on loan should never be earning more than a starting 11 player, and as a club we have far too many of those.

A sure fire recipe for signing more garbage. If you want top players you pay whatever they ask. If you don't or can't you get to scrub around in the bargain basement with the results we've seen nigh on every season for about 6 years.

A sure fire recipe for signing more garbage. If you want top players you pay whatever they ask. If you don't or can't you get to scrub around in the bargain basement with the results we've seen nigh on every season for about 6 years.

We can't afford top players. We can either afford a small number of league-proven mediocre players on high wages, or we can afford a larger pool of young players from other leagues on lower wages, some of whom will at least have the potential to transcend mediocrity.

Talking of potential incomings what would people choices be for respective positions e.g. CB, Winger, striker, Right back

If your question is asking what positions we'd target, I would go with the 4 you mentioned.

- Right-back

- Centre-back

- Winger

- Striker

That's a youtube video of him with a horrible filter and a bad generic 'stoner rock' guitar loop.

He looks pretty quick and fairly strong on the ball. Can't really tell anything else about him really as the Pro League isn't exactly the strongest. 8 goals in 33 there probably works out to about 4-5 premier league goals a season if he played every match, I'd guess. So possibly about as effective as Redmond if he can settle into the league. Seems a bit expensive for that sort of goal return, I suppose that we are gambling that Ralph can push him to significantly improve.

Looks good.

Definitely a Charlie Austin type player!

That's a youtube video of him with a horrible filter and a bad generic 'stoner rock' guitar loop.

He looks pretty quick and fairly strong on the ball. Can't really tell anything else about him really as the Pro League isn't exactly the strongest. 8 goals in 33 there probably works out to about 4-5 premier league goals a season if he played every match, I'd guess. So possibly about as effective as Redmond if he can settle into the league. Seems a bit expensive for that sort of goal return, I suppose that we are gambling that Ralph can push him to significantly improve.

No end product.

Whilst watching the final off the Dutch FA cup, between Ajax and Willem II, I finally got to see Alexander Isak in action. He is on loan at Willem II from Dortmund and a striker with pace and good technical skill. One to look out for and maybe put an offer

In for. Mind you, Ajax are also interested and they have been doing some good business already in signing talented players for next season.

Only five Degrees of separation for Moussa Djenepo

Moussa Djenepos agent are 12 management (according to transfermarkt)

Who also manage three players of Red Bull Salzburg

Red bull who also own Red Bull Leibzig.

Whose manager was Hasenhuttl

Before he managed Southampton.

Think it's nailed on.

That double nutmeg by Djenepo was enough for me.

He seems like the sort of player who will divide the fan base. Loads of skill and direct running to get fans excited but then questionable final product which will keep the people who like to groan happy.

Sign him up.

interestingly, Adam Leitch on the TSP said he asked Ralph if he thinks saints will move on up to 10 players in the summer and Ralph was very surprised people think that many will go.
I remember watching the clips of that from the pre WH presser and I don't think RH was that clearcut in his response.

He was quite evasive. I wouldn't read anything into it.

Its pretty obvious lots will be going.

I remember watching the clips of that from the pre WH presser and I don't think RH was that clearcut in his response.

He was quite evasive. I wouldn't read anything into it.

Its pretty obvious lots will be going.

Got to be, surely

when the loan players come back, our squad (and salary) will be huge

interestingly, Adam Leitch on the TSP said he asked Ralph if he thinks saints will move on up to 10 players in the summer and Ralph was very surprised people think that many will go.

Might be less than 10 if you exclude the players who have been out on loan.

If Ralph was surprised, then I'm surprised he was. In January we were on course to finish with a total of 42 first team players (including those on loan and those whose contract was due to end this season, assuming that includes Flanagan, plus academy players who have played for the first team).

So far we has lost 3, Gabbi, Davis and Seager, leaving 39, only 4 of who will count as under 21 next season (ramsay, obafemi, Johnson, valery). Only one more (Flanagan) is due to have his contract end, so 34 over 21 players before we even start. We need to shift 9 (sell or loan) to reach 25, 4 more to bring in the four players we all think we know we need (rb, CB, winger, cf) and that would still leave a working first team squad of 29 including existing known youth prospects, let alone ones that haven't broken through yet (Vokins, smallbone, whoever).

We need to shift about 15 by my reckoning.

Edited by Chewy
Spelling

Le Soir in Belgium are reporting we have offered €23.5m for Standard Liege's Moussa Djenepo.

https://www.lesoir.be/222439/article/2019-05-06/mercato-southampton-offre-235-millions-pour-djenepo

Never heard of him, but Google says he has 11 goals in 38 games this season (3 in 5 in the Europa League) and plays in any of the three positions behind the striker.

Not long ago, the rumor announced Southampton's interest in Victor Osimhen, the Wolfsburg striker on loan to Charleroi with an option to buy. An option that Sporting was quick to raise for an amount of 3.5 million, well aware of the added value it could achieve. And this should be the case since Lille would be willing to extend between 12 and 13 million to acquire the Lagos striker, leaving a profit of 4 to 5 million for the Zebras since the German club must receive a percentage on the capital gain.

If the Nigerian goes to France, it's probably because Southampton has other aims. And the eyes of the "Saints" is rather than one hundred kilometers from Mambourg, or Sclessin where this season broke a certain Moussa Djenepo. Negotiations would have taken place last week to consider the transfer of the Mali Eagle to a club that, during the 2017-2018 winter transfer window, had received $ 84 million for the sale of Virgil van Dijk in Liverpool. If this transfer is confirmed, it would be the second largest outgoing transfer from Belgium.

Le Soir in Belgium are reporting we have offered €23.5m for Standard Liege's Moussa Djenepo.

https://www.lesoir.be/222439/article/2019-05-06/mercato-southampton-offre-235-millions-pour-djenepo

Never heard of him, but Google says he has 11 goals in 38 games this season (3 in 5 in the Europa League) and plays in any of the three positions behind the striker.

If we're talking £20m plus, I'd have though Augustin was more likely to be targeted having performed in a stronger league than Belgium.

If we're talking £20m plus, I'd have though Augustin was more likely to be targeted having performed in a stronger league than Belgium.

Augustin is a striker, Djenepo is more of a winger.

Ralph wants pace in the side so wouldn t be surprised if we are in for both.

Augustin is a striker, Djenepo is more of a winger.

Ralph wants pace in the side so wouldn t be surprised if we are in for both.

In for 'both positions' quite possibly, but two at £20m a piece seems unlikely given our finances.

The problem with paying "no more than £40k", you'll be buying players who are not good enough to play in this league, or certainly won't be yet. Be aware that Targett, Stephens, Gallagher are reportedly on more than £40k / week, and pretty sure that Bednarek will be earning more than that too.

To sign players who are going to make a difference to our team, you're going to be paying them £60k minimum, unless they're coming from an obscure country and don't have anyone else in for them. Our problem with our wage bill, is that we have such a bloated squad, instead of having 20 players on an average of 50/60K, we've probably got more like 30.

The one I would dread is Poch to Man U and then Ralph to the Spuds. Can see that happening the way Ole is going

couldnt agree more! Spoke to my man u mates about it and said i think Man u, despite his start there, are mad to go for Ole over forking out for Poch. It leaves a good manager gap at spurs and the way ralph operates would be very inviting! Its a funny story though him even being here - mess of a club in some ways at the moment (not too much but not too stable either) and the i cant see he needed us as a springboard to get a better job. Maybe he did and thats what this is but he feels like a guy who likes to see people/a club progress in the same way Poch does. Interesting times and i think how he is supported this summer will show a lot about the future with respect to the ownership and manager

couldnt agree more! Spoke to my man u mates about it and said i think Man u, despite his start there, are mad to go for Ole over forking out for Poch. It leaves a good manager gap at spurs and the way ralph operates would be very inviting! Its a funny story though him even being here - mess of a club in some ways at the moment (not too much but not too stable either) and the i cant see he needed us as a springboard to get a better job. Maybe he did and thats what this is but he feels like a guy who likes to see people/a club progress in the same way Poch does. Interesting times and i think how he is supported this summer will show a lot about the future with respect to the ownership and manager

If RH doesn't get the funds to build a team in his image this summer, I doubt we'll get more than another season out of him. He's just too overwhelmingly employable (young-ish, affable, passionate with the fans, coaches a modern game) for someone else not to take a punt on him.

The one I would dread is Poch to Man U and then Ralph to the Spuds. Can see that happening the way Ole is going

I can’t see anyone coming in for Ralph this summer after half a season here and narrowly avoiding the drop. Howe, Garcia, Santo and Benitez have all been consistently performing for longer and may feel they’ve achieved all they can at their respective clubs.

I can’t see anyone coming in for Ralph this summer after half a season here and narrowly avoiding the drop. Howe, Garcia, Santo and Benitez have all been consistently performing for longer and may feel they’ve achieved all they can at their respective clubs.

Agree Raffa and Nuno would be looked at first I suspect.. I don't feel we are under pressure with Ralph this season certainly.

If, IF, IF, we are looking at spending around 20m on a winger then that suggests to me that we must have a decent budget for this summer because surely centre back, striker and arguably right back are higher priorities.

It also makes me wonder if we’ve already agreed some deals for outgoing players.

Disagree. Levy thinks he can waltz in to ours for anyone, and will believe he’s a cut price Klopp.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Absolutely right. Ralph has lost more games than he's won with Saints, no top club will be running after him as of yet.

If, IF, IF, we are looking at spending around 20m on a winger then that suggests to me that we must have a decent budget for this summer because surely centre back, striker and arguably right back are higher priorities.

It also makes me wonder if we’ve already agreed some deals for outgoing players.

I'd be surprised if a right back is a priority, I think Valery is pretty much nailed on first choice now, they seem to like him a lot and yes he makes mistakes but I think they are willing to accept that as long as he keeps improving. I then think Ramsey (who is also highly rated) and JWP will provide the cover.

Presuming of course we can shift Cedric.

I just can't see us paying like £15-20 million for a right back to shove Valery out of the team after they gave him a new contract and said how impressed they have been with him. Especially as I think more focus is going to be put on developing our own now we have a manager who can improve players.

I'd reckon clear focus is probably on centre-back as we need a real quality player there, then a quality pacey attacker, maybe two (one more striker focused), then I reckon another DM as well.

Not sure about Rogic I have to say.. Does not seem to fit in to our system.

If we are to buy a midfielder and if Leeds fail to get promoted, then it has to be Kalvin Phillips in my opinion.

This lad can play anywhere in the midfield, great passer, aggressive, athletic and young... A future International I think.

He certainly would fit our template.

I'd be surprised if a right back is a priority, I think Valery is pretty much nailed on first choice now, they seem to like him a lot and yes he makes mistakes but I think they are willing to accept that as long as he keeps improving. I then think Ramsey (who is also highly rated) and JWP will provide the cover.

I just can't see us paying like £15-20 million for a right back to shove Valery out of the team after they gave him a new contract and said how impressed they have been with him. Especially as I think more focus is going to be put on developing our own now we have a manager who can improve players.

I'd reckon clear focus is probably on centre-back as we need a real quality player there, then a quality pacey attacker, maybe two (one more striker focused), then I reckon another DM as well.

I tend to agree (both with the theory we don't need one and the theory that we won't think we need one), but it did sound like Maehle was pretty close to coming here in January, and didn't because his club didn't want to sell mid season.

Someone else has also said that Hasenhuttl likes to rotate his full backs, so not out of the question he might bring another one in. If Valery is playing half the games that still helps him develop, and if we have two who are both good we might be able to make a profit on one like we did with Clyne & Chambers.

I’m hoping Cedric is one of the ‘easier’ to shift.

Year left on his contract & despite what we think, will retain a decent reputation in Europe.

Certainly fits the profile. Quick left-back, who's being eyed-up to have a future as a left-sided centre-back.
5' 8" centre back? Unless he's got a hell of a jump on him, I suspect his career will be spent at full back.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

5' 8" centre back? Unless he's got a hell of a jump on him, I suspect his career will be spent at full back.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Yeah that 5’9” Cannavaro was useless at CB.