Summer Transfer Window 2019

Heisenberg

Forgotten Obafemi?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

ha cheers! thought about him when starting writing - did some work then i completely forgot about him. Option for a load for him i suppose but doesnt seem the modus operandi (sp?) for ralphs set up. with him there it certainly seems ott.

Adam Blackmore is a top-notch broadcaster and a good bloke.

Got talking to him at Prague Airport the morning after the shambles at Sparta Prague and he was very talkative (not to mention rather indiscreet) even though he would have had no idea who I was. Whereas Merrington just had his head down in a book and didn’t want to know.

Adam Blackmore is a top-notch broadcaster and a good bloke.

Got talking to him at Prague Airport the morning after the shambles at Sparta Prague and he was very talkative (not to mention rather indiscreet) even though he would have had no idea who I was. Whereas Merrington just had his head down in a book and didn’t want to know.

I was at school with Adam Blackmore. I'm sure that he's a nice chap now.

Can we not sell Adam Blackmore, surely we could get a decent fee for him? Maybe Villa are looking for a first class t*sser as well?

well if that’s what they are looking for off you pop then, you fit the criteria, not Adam Blackmore.

I love AB and DM. They're a great team. Like a comfy pair of old slippers.

In other news, Newcastle in for Long...£7 Million!!!!!!!! *Laughing emoji*.

I may be in the minority but would keep Long as a decent foil for Che Adams, and one who does a lot of the running and closing down that others don't. Especially useful when we have a midfield that gets overrun and a defence that is still way too lightweight for another season without worries

I may be in the minority but would keep Long as a decent foil for Che Adams, and one who does a lot of the running and closing down that others don't. Especially useful when we have a midfield that gets overrun and a defence that is still way too lightweight for another season without worries

Agree.

If Obafemi had stayed fit and shown enough promise, then I would have been happy to let Long go. As things stand, Obafemi is still an unknown quantity (as is Adams to a degree). Long isn’t great but the rest of the side is more cohesive and effective when he’s in the side.

Left winger... not convinced it’s true.

Just a few days ago, we were relaying claims that Tottenham had some ‘serious interest’ in Arnaut Danjuma.

They were the only English club named in an article about how the Club Brugge winger was ‘getting ready for a transfer’ this summer, just a year after joining the Belgian side.

However, Voetbal International have found out a bit more on the matter, and they now claim Southampton have also joined the long queue of teams standing outside the 22-year-old’s door.

Danjuma has apparently ‘set his sights’ on a step higher than the Jupiler Pro League, and the player is ‘calmly weighing all options before deciding on his future’.

The forward knows regular football will be needed next year if he stands a chance of returning into Ronald Koeman’s plans in the Dutch national team, and that could be huge for the Saints.

Neither article on Danjuma has suggested how much it would cost to convince Club Brugge to let their new star go, but with a contract currently keeping him at the club until 2022, as well as a great first half of the season under his belt before injury struck, they could ask for a lot more than their original £900k expenditure.

Source: http://sportwitness.co.uk/southampton-latest-join-queue-dutch-international-player-wants-first-team-football/

Best thing we can do is loan Forster out, even if we pay most of the wage. No club will buy him this summer but a loan could put him in the shop window for January/Next summer.
Yep I don't really know why we haven't done that earlier. Even if we paid 75% of his wages that takes a bit off the wage bill. The alternative is to pay up a fair amount of his contract and get him to accept a lower pay packet elsewhere.

Another day, another left winger linked:

Southampton transfer rumour a little concerning – ‘On market’ due to ‘dangerous nutritional habits’:

Celta Vigo aren’t really showing a great duty of care towards Pione Sisto, if claims from their local newspaper are to be believed.

The player has recently been linked with Southampton, and a potential Saints move is covered by Faro de Vigo on Thursday, however, it’s what they say about Celta’s position which is a little concerning.

‘His declining prominence last season combined with depression and dangerous nutritional habits, such as following a radical diet consisting of feeding for several weeks just on fruit, have led to Celta deciding to put Pione Sisto on the market.’

Teammate Iago Aspas recently spoke publicly about the player’s situation, saying it’s ‘something serious’ and that he hoped the club were in contact with the 24 year old. Right now, it appears the Spanish side are keeping everything at arm’s length, just hoping someone else sorts it out for them.

Celta would prefer a sale which allows them to have a percentage of Sisto’s next transfer, presumably hoping his next club can help more than they have. A loan move isn’t ruled out.

Sisto is very talented and could be a good signing for Southampton, if that’s the move the player wants. Should he feel he’d be better leaving Celta behind then a transfer is the right course of action.

Source: http://sportwitness.co.uk/southampton-transfer-rumour-little-concerning-market-due-dangerous-nutritional-habits/

Long is useful if we aren’t relying on him as the main scorer. As part of a front two or a supporting wide player he’s a useful part of the squad. I wouldn’t be selling him for cheap.

he also helps defend from the front in tireless running and closing down. scoring goals he's not so good at

Yep I don't really know why we haven't done that earlier. Even if we paid 75% of his wages that takes a bit off the wage bill. The alternative is to pay up a fair amount of his contract and get him to accept a lower pay packet elsewhere.

Because somebody has to want him and he has to be willing to go. People talk about loaning out or selling players as if its just the clubs choice. Forster is on a King's ransom and we have to accept that if he wants to sit back and earn his wage he can do that.

he also helps defend from the front in tireless running and closing down. scoring goals he's not so good at

A complete myth, we don’t concede any fewer goals when he’s on the pitch when off it. He was on the pitch when we conceded 3 against Bournemouth, West Ham and Liverpool, not to mention all 6 at Man City. We sent him on when we needed to score at Newcastle, ended up conceding again. Everton at home, 2-0 and cruising - brought Long on with 15 minutes left and ended up clinging on to a 2-1 lead.

He does not put pressure on anyone. He gives the ball away, he’s offside, he falls over. Cardiff at home was one of the most pathetic displays I’ve seen, throwing himself to the floor at the lightest of contact and winning nothing.

If I want to see closing down, I’ll go to Homebase. From a Premier League striker we need an awful lot more than that.

Because somebody has to want him and he has to be willing to go. People talk about loaning out or selling players as if its just the clubs choice. Forster is on a King's ransom and we have to accept that if he wants to sit back and earn his wage he can do that.
But in my scenario he still gets his full wage but also gets to play and potentially get a new contract elsewhere.

But in my scenario he still gets his full wage but also gets to play and potentially get a new contract elsewhere.

Your scenario still involves another club wanting Forster as their keeper (who?) and Foster willing to go somewhere. I don't see either as likely so we're stuck with him, hence I think it likely that we'll cash in on Mccarthy who clubs will want.

Your scenario still involves another club wanting Forster as their keeper (who?) and Foster willing to go somewhere. I don't see either as likely so we're stuck with him, hence I think it likely that we'll cash in on Mccarthy who clubs will want.

Well you would just naturally assume that a footballer wants to play football which isn't going to happen here.

Fair point about another club wanting Forster, that's why I think a loan deal is probably most likely. Try before you buy kind of thing. Who knows.

Well you would just naturally assume that a footballer wants to play football which isn't going to happen here.

Fair point about another club wanting Forster, that's why I think a loan deal is probably most likely. Try before you buy kind of thing. Who knows.

Yep. I find it hard to believe that there is literally no club willing to take a chance and a small amount of wages on an ex England keeper. We managed to send out the likes of hoedt and carillo on loan and imo they are worse than forster.

He's certainly not that bad, he needs games for sure and probably a new start, but as hypo says, it seems bonkers for literally no club to want him on any kindof deal.

The player has to want the move though. Think about it for a second, out of the 20 premier league clubs how many have a first choice keeper that Forster would replace either permanently or on loan? Possibly the 3 promoted teams but it's hard to see that Forster is better than any of the other 17 first choice keepers, certainly not enough of an improvement to pay a transfer fee and his huge salary anyway. So that leaves championship clubs which would mean a huge drop in salary for a move or high subsidised wages for a loan. Or there is a move abroad, again a drop in wages or subsidised for a loan, but maybe the player doesn't want to move overseas, for whatever reason. You cant just force a player to leave despite what some of the loons think Les Reed used to do. People go on about players not honouring their contracts but it works the other way too.

The player has to want the move though. Think about it for a second, out of the 20 premier league clubs how many have a first choice keeper that Forster would replace either permanently or on loan? Possibly the 3 promoted teams but it's hard to see that Forster is better than any of the other 17 first choice keepers, certainly not enough of an improvement to pay a transfer fee and his huge salary anyway. So that leaves championship clubs which would mean a huge drop in salary for a move or high subsidised wages for a loan. Or there is a move abroad, again a drop in wages or subsidised for a loan, but maybe the player doesn't want to move overseas, for whatever reason. You cant just force a player to leave despite what some of the loons think Les Reed used to do. People go on about players not honouring their contracts but it works the other way too.

Spot on Del. Somebody will pipe up and say "but we can subsidise" his wages but even if we did that, a club still has to want him, and he still has to want the move. Players have the power to decide if they're moving, not the club and I'm struggling to see why he'd uproot his life and move to another club to sit on a different bench, or drop a league, or move abroad to live in a hotel somewhere for a season. It's easy to see the attraction of rocking up to training, being available if needed/wanted, and taking the cash.

Spot on Del. Somebody will pipe up and say "but we can subsidise" his wages but even if we did that, a club still has to want him, and he still has to want the move. Players have the power to decide if they're moving, not the club and I'm struggling to see why he'd uproot his life and move to another club to sit on a different bench, or drop a league, or move abroad to live in a hotel somewhere for a season. It's easy to see the attraction of rocking up to training, being available if needed/wanted, and taking the cash.

The only way he is going to revive his career is with game time. If the club is willing to subsidise his wages, then there’s every reason to go on loan unless you’re claiming he has little or no ambition or professional pride. That might be true in your case but not for most of us, never mind highly driven and competitive sportsmen.

A reminder that there were noises about FF suffering from mental health problems. If this is true then he is unlikely to want to expose himself to a new environment and new anxieties until he feels mentally ready.