Saints v Sheffield Utd build-up

Shroppie

Meanwhile, back to the crucial issue of the vital 12th place. We need to better Everton's result. Both drawing won't do as we'll miss out by 1 GD. If we both lose, we need to lose by one less than them or if we both win, again we need to be one goal better, in both cases to get it on goals scored.

10 hours ago, Hockey_saint said:

I'm rubbish at remembering my musical notation meanings these days...She could be our captain...being "loud and strong" n'all :D

Piano forte is Italian for soft loud. Unlike the harpsichord, which was unable to vary the volume of notes played (the strings were mechanically plucked), the pianoforte could be played soft or loud, depending on how hard you pressed the keys--activating small "hammers" (covered in cloth or leather) which struck the strings.

25 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Blades can't now make the Europa League places after losing to Everton. Don't know if that works in our favour or not though. 

Edit: that's assuming Palace don't come from behind to beat Wolves. 

Doesn't look like it's happening.

Bit of a nothing game to end the season for both of us now, nothing hanging on it apart from either finishing 8th for them or 11th for us.

No denying Sheffield United have had a good season following promotion, especially as I’d guess a majority of people (me included) had them relegated again, but it’s crazy to think we are one win away from finishing just two points behind them. 

11th or 12th it has been a great second half to the season. What with the quick turnaround time between this season and next, I hope we can continue our good form and start strongly next season. 

2-0 Saints. Danny will miss out on top goalscorer but Adams will get another against his former team.

On 19/07/2020 at 21:28, bpsaint said:

When the fixtures were announced I was looking forward to this game and giving Billy Sharp the send off he deserved, shame we’ve been robbed of that opportunity.

We know what a well organised side United are, and with their mixed form since lockdown it could go either way. A win would be great for momentum but I’d settle for a draw and cement 11th place for the little extra bit of prize money. 

Didn’t realise when I posted this that Everton had a game in hand. With about £2 million at stake for finishing 11th instead Of 12th I hope we go all out for one last hurrah this season, and maybe Bournemouth can hold Everton to a spirited draw that doesn’t do either of them any favours.

28 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

We win and could finish 11th on an upward trajectory, they lose and end up 10th on the downward trajectory.

If it works out like that, let's hope it's an indicator for next season as we cross paths.

If the restart is anything to go by, the Blades could be well down there with Palace, Brighton and whichever of the bottom 4 no hopers somehow stays up. Leicester look every bit the midtable team these days too. 

Not a lot to play for,  Sheffield United have been very good at the back all season and tend to keep things tight, but hopefully this is an open game with plenty of goals to give Ings the chance of grabbing a couple and get the golden boot. 

4-3 saints win. 

19 hours ago, trousers said:

To my eternal shame, I'll always be known as "that mad chap on Saintsweb that suggested we had a squad capable of finishing in the top half of the table in 2020". In retrospect, it was indeed complete and utter madness.

Credit where it is due. Was it a guess or the result of deep seated understanding of the nature of our game and the strengths and frailties of our players?

This mini season post lockdown has given us so much pleasure.  When it was announced, a few weeks ago,  I felt very negative about. As far as I was concerned, the season was already and a handful of matches squeezed together without any spectators didn't feel to me as if it would be worth following.  Obviously, I couldn't have been more wrong.  This has been one of the best periods in which to be  Saints' fan since  promotion.  But to make that feel absolutely true, we do need to win on Sunday.  I don't see the Brighton result as the return of the home jinx, because the performance had to be affected by the five line-up changes.  The team is on form and I feel confident they will win by at least two goals.

Although Ralph said what he liked most about the Bournemouth match was the clean sheet, I'd like to see one change in the final game, which is to play Angus Gunn.  Although McCarthy has made some good saves, he's also shown some weaknesses in gathering the ball and in distribution.   I'd also stick with  Long as he's more likely to create  chances for Danny Ings.

1 hour ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Credit where it is due. Was it a guess or the result of deep seated understanding of the nature of our game and the strengths and frailties of our players?

It was hardly an unreasonable suggestion. It remains possible Saints could end the season only 1 point behind 10th.

A win on Sunday leaves Saints only 2 points behind Sheff Utd.

Edited by Matthew Le God

1 hour ago, Charlie Wayman said:

It was based on the fact that our form last season after Hassenhutl took over from Hughes was 1 point off being top 10, despite a mini collapse in the last 5 games of the season whereby we only mustered 3 points out of 15. That said, and to be fair to the doom and gloom merchants, I didn't foresee said mini collapse continuing into the start of this season, but I always had faith that Ralph would turn things around. (although I admit that faith was very much put to the test after the Leicester result!)

And, of course, the other reason for predicting a relatively decent finish this season at the outset was that I was desperate to be labelled "mad" by Batman..... ;)

Edited by trousers
  • Like 1

...and so to Sunday. The PL website suggests none of the games are being televised. Really? I googled and drew a blank there as well. No TV allocations listed.

Does anybody know what's happening. Surely Sky are not going to miss this chance to sign off the season?

Edited by Charlie Wayman

3 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

...and so to Sunday. The PL website suggest none of the games are being televised. Really? I googled and drew a blank there as well. No TV allocations listed.

Does anybody know what's happening. Surely Sky are not going to miss this chance to sign off the season?

TV companies matches for Sunday will be decided after the mid-week matches, as they will then know which of Sundays games are key to any relegation/european qualification deciders.

Edited by Saint-Reece
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Saint86 said:

Predicted 11th-15th with a chance of top 8 push if we had a good season (we didn't, but at least we've ended superbly given where we were in November!!). Would be delighted if we finished above Everton.

So close to a top 8 push though. Like, 4 points potentially!

I think it highlights how utterly false our 8th position was under Puel - 46 points wasn't it?

8th may be around the 56-58 point mark this year, which is pretty much the norm. Puels' 8th place was nothing to celebrate, it was the start of a big regression.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

So close to a top 8 push though. Like, 4 points potentially!

I think it highlights how utterly false our 8th position was under Puel - 46 points wasn't it?

8th may be around the 56-58 point mark this year, which is pretty much the norm. Puels' 8th place was nothing to celebrate, it was the start of a big regression.

Well i sit firmly on the Puel should have been sacked side of the fence - so I absolutely agree. We hired a terrible manager afterwards, but I have no doubts Puel would have been sacked with us in a relegation fight eitherway had he stayed.

15 minutes ago, fez said:

I think all Sunday's games will be televised but Sky / BBC / Amazon / BT Sport will argue about who gets the juiciest games. Expect we'll be on Amazon

Amazon and the BBC only had 4 games each for Project Restart. Both have already shown their 4 games I think. So if that is the case Sunday's games will only be on Sky & BT.

Edited by Matthew Le God

20 minutes ago, fez said:

I think all Sunday's games will be televised but Sky / BBC / Amazon / BT Sport will argue about who gets the juiciest games. Expect we'll be on Amazon

The schedule is showing 6 Sky Sports channels showing PL and 2 more on BT Sports 1 and 2, the 2 others maybe on the red button?

On 21/07/2020 at 07:08, JRM said:

Not a lot to play for,  Sheffield United have been very good at the back all season and tend to keep things tight, but hopefully this is an open game with plenty of goals to give Ings the chance of grabbing a couple and get the golden boot. 

4-3 saints win. 

Sheffield United have got £5 million to play for because with the easy fixtures Arsenal and Burnley have got, anything less than a win for the Blades will almost certainly see them drop 2 places. I don't know whether this means their owners will be offering them a special win bonus as an incentive.

4 minutes ago, Nordic Saint said:

Sheffield United have got £5 million to play for because with the easy fixtures Arsenal and Burnley have got, anything less than a win for the Blades will almost certainly see them drop 2 places. I don't know whether this means their owners will be offering them a special win bonus as an incentive.

I’m not sure that’s legal. I could have sworn Chelsea got into a bit of trouble for doing just that after a CL tie, not long after Abramovic took over.

26 minutes ago, Nordic Saint said:

19 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

I’m not sure that’s legal. I could have sworn Chelsea got into a bit of trouble for doing just that after a CL tie, not long after Abramovic took over.

Yep, pretty sure I read years back that clubs can't introduce ad-hoc bonus payments during the course of the season. i.e. bonus structures have to be set in place before the season starts. That said, I guess there's nothing stopping a club putting some kind of pre-emptive league position bonus scheme in place at the beginning of each season to cover such eventualities as this anyway....?

Edited by trousers

No Mane, VW and Pelle, along with Fonte and VVD out for half the season. Despite that, a thrilling run to a cup final, in which we were superb and very unlucky to lose. Then lost Gabbi for most of the remainder of the season. Shows how daft it is when pundits judge Puel's points total and style of play without any context.

24 minutes ago, Dark Munster said:

No Mane, VW and Pelle, along with Fonte and VVD out for half the season. Despite that, a thrilling run to a cup final, in which we were superb and very unlucky to lose. Then lost Gabbi for most of the remainder of the season. Shows how daft it is when pundits judge Puel's points total and style of play without any context.

It was garbage,  we didn’t score for our final six home games. Plus he played for a draw against some no mark team from Israel to get us knocked out of a terrible Europa League group. 

I don't know anything about transfers but how about trying to get a marquee player to come at some stage like a Ronaldo, Messi  or Ibrahimovich (all getting towards the end of their careers)? I know it would cost a fortune but would it possibly be worth it?  I've never understood why all the big money appears to be in London and the north. I've never been to Southampton city or the club but both seem pretty prosperous. Isn't it time to be a bit more ambitious and try and get into Europe?

6 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

I don't know anything about transfers but how about trying to get a marquee player to come at some stage like a Ronaldo, Messi  or Ibrahimovich (all getting towards the end of their careers)? I know it would cost a fortune but would it possibly be worth it?  I've never understood why all the big money appears to be in London and the north. I've never been to Southampton city or the club but both seem pretty prosperous. Isn't it time to be a bit more ambitious and try and get into Europe?

I don't even know where to start with unpicking all of  that! 🤔 😃

Messi's wages are £26m per year! About 25% of Saints entire wage bill. He wouldn't have the slightest interest joining Southampton even if they could afford his wages and transfer fee.

Edited by Matthew Le God

38 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

Just wait until Gao completes his work on building the housing, leisure and entertainment developments he is definitely going to build in the city.

The Messis, Ronaldos and Ibras of this world will be flooding into the club. They won't be able to resist.

ok, just a random thought about something I don't really understand. It's just that hoping to stay up or finish in the top half of the table seems to lack ambition. Why not plan to win the PL. If the All Blacks don't win they usually get roasted eg losing to England in the semi-final of the Rugby World Cup last year (and deserving to lose also).  That's also why I can't understand the club selling all it's good players. Is Southhampton City a dump or something? It must be better than Manchester from what I've heard (but, again, I haven't been to either place).

7 hours ago, Jeremy said:

ok, just a random thought about something I don't really understand. It's just that hoping to stay up or finish in the top half of the table seems to lack ambition. Why not plan to win the PL. If the All Blacks don't win they usually get roasted eg losing to England in the semi-final of the Rugby World Cup last year (and deserving to lose also).  That's also why I can't understand the club selling all it's good players. Is Southhampton City a dump or something? It must be better than Manchester from what I've heard (but, again, I haven't been to either place).

If you tell us where you live, we could offer a comparison !

9 hours ago, Jeremy said:

Ok, I'll bite. Not sure whether this is a wind-up or you have a severe lack of understanding.

Football isn't about individual players, although some plastic fans may just want to watch the so-called stars. It's a team game. Paying a has-been a fortune, even if they'd come, is not going to make the team a world beater, and in any case, can't be afforded. You clearly know little about Saints as they are far from affluent. They have to work within a sustainable business model which will always involve buying players with potential, developing our own Academy players. If these are successful, they will move on, hopefully for a profit. 

As Leicester showed, a club with a strong collective team spirit and good coaching can win. But they too could not keep their players, even after winning the league. Players put greed and winning things for their individual glory ahead of loyalty: that's long since gone.

Saints are ambitious and will hopefully be back in Europe soon. But they won't get there by throwing money at vanity projects.

8 hours ago, Jeremy said:

Anyone else getting a whiff of fish around here...? #definitelynotglasgow #nosiree

Screenshot_20200723-071302.png

Screenshot_20200723-071350.png

Edited by trousers

Just now, daldridge7 said:

hello

Sorry I was just testing that this was working. Good to final post on here, as Danso's back to Augsburg and Bedders may potentially still be out are we expecting any young cb's to be on the bench? Klarer and Ramsay I assume can't play because of their loan registrations I guess - I haven't seen anyone new in training