Saints v Sheffield Utd build-up

Shroppie

On 20/07/2020 at 22:49, Lighthouse said:

If the restart is anything to go by, the Blades could be well down there with Palace, Brighton and whichever of the bottom 4 no hopers somehow stays up. Leicester look every bit the midtable team these days too. 

To be fair on Leicester they have had big injury troubles. They have not had Maddison and Pereira for most of the re-start I believe and also have had Chilwell missing for several games now, and then Seyoncu got himself suspended, plus Fuchs the back up left back got injured as well. 

So for the last 4-5 games they have been missing basically 3 of their best players, it would be like us not having Ings, Redmond and JWP or something, we'd probably not be getting the same results. 

Their back 5 against Spurs was James Justin (who was playing league 1 last year I believe), Wes Morgan who is past it, Evans, Ryan Bennet who is like the epitome of a championship level centre back, and Luke Thomas who was playing his second senior appearance.  

Taking on an in form Kane and Son. 

8 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

To be fair on Leicester they have had big injury troubles. They have not had Maddison and Pereira for most of the re-start I believe and also have had Chilwell missing for several games now, and then Seyoncu got himself suspended, plus Fuchs the back up left back got injured as well. 

So for the last 4-5 games they have been missing basically 3 of their best players, it would be like us not having Ings, Redmond and JWP or something, we'd probably not be getting the same results. 

Their back 5 against Spurs was James Justin (who was playing league 1 last year I believe), Wes Morgan who is past it, Evans, Ryan Bennet who is like the epitome of a championship level centre back, and Luke Thomas who was playing his second senior appearance.  

Taking on an in form Kane and Son. 

Since the restart, they've played like relegation candidates, 9 points from 9 games. Their problems have been going on longer than that, only 4 league wins since new years day.

11 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

I don't even know where to start with unpicking all of  that! 🤔 😃

Messi's wages are £26m per year! About 25% of Saints entire wage bill. He wouldn't have the slightest interest joining Southampton even if they could afford his wages and transfer fee.

We used to buy players who had peaked and played well. Osgood, Charlie George, Watson (what a good buy!) Keegan to mention a few plus Case. I could go on and on  .Oh and Ted Macdougal

3 hours ago, daldridge7 said:

Sorry I was just testing that this was working. Good to final post on here, as Danso's back to Augsburg and Bedders may potentially still be out are we expecting any young cb's to be on the bench? Klarer and Ramsay I assume can't play because of their loan registrations I guess - I haven't seen anyone new in training

Is that you Glasgow?

2 hours ago, Totton Saint said:

We used to buy players who had peaked and played well. Osgood, Charlie George, Watson (what a good buy!) Keegan to mention a few plus Case. I could go on and on  .Oh and Ted Macdougal

Those examples are in no way relevant to signing people with £26m annual wages.

Pretty sure there won't be day passes for this one.

They knocked out two back at the beginning of the restart and by my count this will be the second Sky broadcast home game that hasn't also been put free to air on Pick.

4 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

Those examples are in no way relevant to signing people with £26m annual wages.

How did we mange to pay these players who would have been paid top whack where we got them from especially Keegan who still played for England when at saints.I expect their pay in those day was equivalent to the figures you quote (inflation!)

18 minutes ago, Totton Saint said:

How did we mange to pay these players who would have been paid top whack where we got them from especially Keegan who still played for England when at saints.I expect their pay in those day was equivalent to the figures you quote (inflation!)

That is not even remotely close to being true!

Taking into account inflation, £26m per year (£500k per week) in 2020 is the equivalent of paying someone £7.5m per year (£144k per week) in 1980 when Keegan joined Saints.

The average wage for a top league player in 1980 was... £550 per week or £26k per year!

So I'm confident Southampton did not pay a player £144,000 per week in the 1980! 

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, suewhistle said:

Yes, but gets tiresome pretty soon..The trouble is that trolls like Glasgow spoil it for everyone, and render us cynical when new posters turn up..

Peace and love!

44 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

Is Southhampton City a dump or something? It must be better than Manchester from what I've heard (but, again, I haven't been to either place).

My apologies, I didn't intend suggesting I thought Southhampton wasn't much, I meant potential players.  For example, I've read that players have moved to Spain from playng in Enland for the weather and apparent lifestyle.  I live in a really scruffly place that John Cleese once famously called "the suicide capital of the world". The locals laugh about it (I'm origninally from Christchurch.

Anyway, absolutely no offence intended. In fact, I applied for a job at the club a few years' ago just for the hell of it.

This is boring already.

1 hour ago, Jeremy said:

Is Southhampton City a dump or something? It must be better than Manchester from what I've heard (but, again, I haven't been to either place).

My apologies, I didn't intend suggesting I thought Southhampton wasn't much, I meant potential players.  For example, I've read that players have moved to Spain from playng in Enland for the weather and apparent lifestyle.  I live in a really scruffly place that John Cleese once famously called "the suicide capital of the world". The locals laugh about it (I'm origninally from Christchurch.

Anyway, absolutely no offence intended. In fact, I applied for a job at the club a few years' ago just for the hell of it.

Palmerston North is heaven compared with Portsmouth.

13 hours ago, Totton Saint said:

Have you just woken up from a 30 year coma?

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

Taking into account inflation, £26m per year (£500k per week) in 2020 is the equivalent of paying someone £7.5m per year (£144k per week) in 1980 when Keegan joined Saints.

The average wage for a top league player in 1980 was... £550 per week or £26k per year!

So I'm confident Southampton did not pay a player £144,000 per week in the 1980! 

True, but then we didn't have TV money coming in back then either. It would be interesting to see what our wages/turnover ratio was in those days,  both in comparison to now and to other clubs at the time. I'm sure Channon's biography mentions him being highest paid player in England

Not that I'm advocating going back to the ageing superstar approach.

Edited by Wurzel
atrocious typo

55 minutes ago, Wurzel said:

True, but then we didn't have TV money coming in back then either. It would be interesting to see what our wages/turnover ratio was in those days,  both in comparison to now and to other clubs at the time. I'm sure Channing's biography mentions him being highest paid player in England

Tatum? Or Stockard?

17 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

When HMS Ark Royal was launched in 1937 it cost £30m and was hailed as the best aircraft carrier in the world.

When HMS Prince of Wales was launched last year it had cost £4 billion etc

Not much point in hiding your savings under the mattress.

55 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

When HMS Ark Royal was launched in 1937 it cost £30m and was hailed as the best aircraft carrier in the world.

When HMS Prince of Wales was launched last year it had cost £4 billion etc

Not much point in hiding your savings under the mattress.

How is that remotely relevant to what I said? The average top league footballer in 1980 was earning £550 per week. Totton Saint was suggesting paying one player £144,000 per week in 1980. Can you not see the issue with that?

Edited by Matthew Le God

19 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

But why golf?

They seem to be using all the channels where there is spare capacity to squeeze out 8 live games simultaneously

Think the British Masters will be done by Saturday Tea Time and Sky can't be bothered to change the Channel name to Sky Sports Toffee for 2.5 hours. And whatever Golf the Septics have on this weekend doesn't start the live feed until 7pm and beyond.

5 hours ago, Wurzel said:

True, but then we didn't have TV money coming in back then either. It would be interesting to see what our wages/turnover ratio was in those days,  both in comparison to now and to other clubs at the time. I'm sure Channon's biography mentions him being highest paid player in England

The whole make-up of football income was completely different then. All gate receipts (which was the majority of income for all clubs then) was shared 50% - home and away. That's why we could compete with the likes of Utd/Liverpool/Everton/Arsenal in the 80s. It's why clubs like Derby, Forest, Villa won the league and clubs like us and Watford, Ipswich came second. If you could do some decent scouting and management - you could have a good crack at the league.

That changed in the late 80s and when the bigger clubs really started to absolutely dominate. Then came the PL income, Champions League and some clubs generating huge amounts from an overseas fan base - which put them on an untouchable level.

You just cannot compare the two - so many things have changed.

• Like 1

The main points from the press conference..

- Bednarek is training after a light muscle injury but Djenepo and Boufal are both still out.

- RH unmoved on Salisu talk although he expects signings and wants to get these done early.

- Some players have done a "fantastic" job out on loan and might be re-intergrated into the squad whilst others will be sold.

- RH is 100% behind Che Adams and expects him to be fitter & better next season

- Danny Ings is a role model for the club

- RH expects other players to chip in with more goals next season 

Edited by Harry_SFC
  • Like 1