Jump to content

Recommended Posts

15 minutes ago, trousers said:

image.png

 

To dovetail out from this - Blackmore & Sheldon have both mentioned that Smallbone is very well thought of...

I think we will look for another centre-mid, but if wouldn’t surprise me either if we didn’t sign one.

Edited by SuperSAINT
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think going into the season with JWP and Romeu as first choice, and Smallbone/Jankewitz as back up is fine in theory, but if JWP got injured for example (or needs his oil changing!) then surely we wouldn't be content with Romeu and one of the other two for a stretch of games.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Red said:

Is that the poster on the other thread well before you?

Was there? I didn’t look. Probably another itker or of the guys on my pm list I sent this out to on Monday, part of the circle of trust.

Edited by Turkish
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, igsey said:

I think going into the season with JWP and Romeu as first choice, and Smallbone/Jankewitz as back up is fine in theory, but if JWP got injured for example (or needs his oil changing!) then surely we wouldn't be content with Romeu and one of the other two for a stretch of games.

Then it isn't fine in theory, as what you suggest will happen.

Romeu tends to drift out of form (and is bad when doing so), alongside inevitable suspensions he will rack up

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ntcham seems like more of an attacking midfielder when I have seen him play. Totally different to McKennie whose main attributes are defensive ones.

Not sure they are similar profile at all apart from the lazy comparisons.

Unless they have bulked up Smallbone in a month, or Jankewitz is ready to potentially start 15-20 games then we 100% need a new signing (unless Reed were to suprisingly stay). We were so lucky with injuries and suspensions last season, the availability of JWP, PEH and Romeu was not normal.

Also Romeu has had spells where he just needs taking out of the team and certainly needs viable competition.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’d very disappointed if we lose both hojberg and reed and don’t bring anyone in. 

I wonder if we’ll look for someone with some versatility. Ralph has liked in the past moving jwp around tactically which feels less viable now he’s our midfield lynchpin. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Ntcham seems like more of an attacking midfielder when I have seen him play. Totally different to McKennie whose main attributes are defensive ones.

Not sure they are similar profile at all apart from the lazy comparisons.

Unless they have bulked up Smallbone in a month, or Jankewitz is ready to potentially start 15-20 games then we 100% need a new signing (unless Reed were to suprisingly stay). We were so lucky with injuries and suspensions last season, the availability of JWP, PEH and Romeu was not normal.

Also Romeu has had spells where he just needs taking out of the team and certainly needs viable competition.

Totally agree, I thought that we were one midfielder short last year but got away with it. Romeu is a good solid Premier player but we remain one paced in the middle of the pitch and having a quicker more mobile option available will help. I'm not convinced that you'd want to rely on either Smallbone or Janewitz yet in a crisis. Smallbone also strikes me as someone who will play better in a slightly more forward position. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Batman said:

Then it isn't fine in theory, as what you suggest will happen.

Romeu tends to drift out of form (and is bad when doing so), alongside inevitable suspensions he will rack up

 

Agree about Romeu. Good spell during the lockdown period but had been mostly useless prior to that. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Maybe we should look for an experienced loan player for a season and then we can see what's available with more funds next season. 

I’d prefer to just re-invest the 8m Reed money now in a similar championship replacement rather than holding out for some 20m player next summer. It’s too important to be scrabbling around for a makeshift loan.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Romeu is great as a DM when he plays regularly  - but he’s not a box-to-box midfielder which I think is what Ralph wants.  Although he seems to have lost some bulk recently so he can get up and down the pitch a bit more easily. He’s also a great passer of the ball which people seem to have forgotten. 

As much as Reed is homegrown Romeu would play In the DM role over Reed every time for me.

But I think Ralph actually wants another box-to-box midfielder which is where Ntcham comes in - although he could also play the 10 role as Armstrong does.

If we do want a DM how about Marc Roca from recently relegated Espanyol - he is very highly rated.

And people are forgetting as well as Smallbone who has played as a 10 and 8 so far we also have Slattery who plays as a box-to-box midfielder - and Jankewitz who is a DM supposedly.

personally I’d like us to get rid of Boufal and bring in Ntcham and A N other.

As well as £8M for Reed I expect Fulham will be paying a loan fee as well as all of Lemina’s wages.

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

I’d prefer to just re-invest the 8m Reed money now in a similar championship replacement rather than holding out for some 20m player next summer. It’s too important to be scrabbling around for a makeshift loan.

So we're going to spend £8million on a player worse than Reed to be back up? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

So we're going to spend £8million on a player worse than Reed to be back up? 

I’d hardly call it back up as it’s not as if Romeu is a nailed on starter. I don’t see why an alternative would definitely be worse, not like every midfielder in the league is rubbish and Reed was the only beacon of okayness.

we signed Armstrong for 7m from Scotland, so it’s not as if you can’t potentially get a decent player without having to spend 15-20m.

 

Edited by Baird of the land
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

So, of all the other centre-mid's we've been linked with...

- Olivier Ntcham

- Dejan Ljubicic

- Orel Mangala 

- Ronaldo Vieira

- Soualiho Meite

If we are skint, Just take someone on loan with an option to buy next summer. 
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Archers Road Stand said:

 

Agree about Romeu. Good spell during the lockdown period but had been mostly useless prior to that. 

Really have to challenge that statement.  Romeu started last season very well and finished off brilliantly.   He wasn't selected for much of the middle period with Ralph preferring JWP and PEH.  Romeu didn't play well in the Leicester debacle, but neither did JWP or PEH.    There's been a lot of myth making about OR...."legs gone", "can't pass" etc.    Having said all that, it will be a worry if next season starts and there's only JWP, Romeu, Smallbone, Slattery and Jancewitz as the midfield candidates.

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

So, of all the other centre-mid's we've been linked with...

- Olivier Ntcham

- Dejan Ljubicic

- Orel Mangala 

- Ronaldo Vieira

- Soualiho Meite

Neil Lennon has suggested in his post match tonight that players have told him they want to go.

Pure guesswork on my part here but I wonder if Ntcham is one of those.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, GGalpin said:

Neil Lennon has suggested in his post match tonight that players have told him they want to go.

Pure guesswork on my part here but I wonder if Ntcham is one of those.

Very likely, I’d say.

The annual wait-for-Celtic-to-qualify-or-crash-out-of-champs-league before wheels start to spin.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Lets offer them 60m for Ntcham, Ajer and Edouard....be a good investment 😁

Plus, thought they lose to Fenerbache and thought thats not too bad...then realised it was Ferencvaros! Terrible for them 😄😄

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, skintsaint said:

Lets offer them 60m for Ntcham, Ajer and Edouard....be a good investment 😁

Plus, thought they lose to Fenerbache and thought thats not too bad...then realised it was Ferencvaros! Terrible for them 😄😄

To be fair they absolutley battered them, Ely had a good game. They just didn't have anyone clinical as Edouard was 'injured.' (He's the one I reckon Lennon is commenting on)

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

So, of all the other centre-mid's we've been linked with...

- Olivier Ntcham

- Dejan Ljubicic

- Orel Mangala 

- Ronaldo Vieira

- Soualiho Meite

He was linked at £3m, but apparently was also due to join an MLS side in January before injury, that doesn't inspire confidence.

16 hours ago, stevy777_x said:

If we are skint, Just take someone on loan with an option to buy next summer. 
 

That strategy didn't work so well with Danso though did it?

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, stevy777_x said:

If we are skint, Just take someone on loan with an option to buy next summer. 

 

37 minutes ago, Badger said:

That strategy didn't work so well with Danso though did it?

 

2 minutes ago, qwertyell said:

But did with Bertrand, Alderweireld and Ings. Some you win, some you lose.

I think you are pushing it to say it worked with Alderweireld. Great player but the loan deal wasn't structured well! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, austsaint said:

Really have to challenge that statement.  Romeu started last season very well and finished off brilliantly.   He wasn't selected for much of the middle period with Ralph preferring JWP and PEH.  Romeu didn't play well in the Leicester debacle, but neither did JWP or PEH.    There's been a lot of myth making about OR...."legs gone", "can't pass" etc.    Having said all that, it will be a worry if next season starts and there's only JWP, Romeu, Smallbone, Slattery and Jancewitz as the midfield candidates.

I agree with your comments although I'd add that there is no myth that Romeu lacks pace (Though like you  I don't subscribe to the lazy 'legs gone'). We still refer to Romeu as Slowmeu is our household. Unfortunately it isn't anything that he can change, but he adapts his play to these limitations. Where it does get exposed is when he is further up the pitch and the ball is swiftly played by the opponents on a counter attack and he gets left behind and takes ages to catch up with play. I think this means he is more effective away from home where he doesn't play so far forward and gets exposed. 

I just think that we need a pacey defensive midfielder so that we can subdue teams who like to play like that on the counter. JWP is also very one paced (as was Hojbjerg) and this is where we should invest (good in the air would be nice too :-). )

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Sky Sports reporting...

Image

I'm actually hopeful about landing Ntcham. We have a good relationship with celtic, he wants out, and we have already been rumoured to have offered £20m for McKennie which would probably be enough to secure him. The way Celtic fans describe him he seems like our sort of signing too, all the technical ability and physicality but some concentration issues and a tenancy to go missing, both of which a top manager like Ralph could fix.

Link to post
Share on other sites

504 ERROR

The request could not be satisfied.


CloudFront attempted to establish a connection with the origin, but either the attempt failed or the origin closed the connection. We can't connect to the server for this app or website at this time. There might be too much traffic or a configuration error. Try again later, or contact the app or website owner.
If you provide content to customers through CloudFront, you can find steps to troubleshoot and help prevent this error by reviewing the CloudFront documentation.


Generated by cloudfront (CloudFront)
Request ID: jo3Tdl3orwoLrgMSYkcp8NnMDxcvjCnhJ1jWobBwVGU6e1QslfxC8w==
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, TWar said:

I'm actually hopeful about landing Ntcham. We have a good relationship with celtic, he wants out, and we have already been rumoured to have offered £20m for McKennie which would probably be enough to secure him. The way Celtic fans describe him he seems like our sort of signing too, all the technical ability and physicality but some concentration issues and a tenancy to go missing, both of which a top manager like Ralph could fix.

Can that be coached ? 

Ralph can probably motivate players, but he remains a football coach not a 'shrink'. If he was he might have fixed Lemina's attitude and application.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I really don’t see that we would be interested in ntcham If McKennie was the top target.. ntcham just seems like a technical midfielder who is a bit lazy and only turns it on when he feels like it. Doesn’t sound like the pressing beast we would be interested in.

i think it’s more likely we turn our attention to ronaldo Vieira or even Mangala tbh

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

I really don’t see that we would be interested in ntcham If McKennie was the top target.. ntcham just seems like a technical midfielder who is a bit lazy and only turns it on when he feels like it. Doesn’t sound like the pressing beast we would be interested in.

i think it’s more likely we turn our attention to ronaldo Vieira or even Mangala tbh

Very good point

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Convict Colony said:

Already has the same agent as Moussa

So he does! As does Patson Daka.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/12-management/beraterfirma/berater/4053

If we do want to sign Mwepu or another player involved in the Champions League qualifiers, I suspect we might have to wait until they are done. In Salzburg's case, they are already through to the playoff round so they won't be done until September 30th.

Link to post
Share on other sites

How about Maitland-Niles. He’s fast, good defensively and Arsenal don’t want him. I know he thinks he’s a winger, but he completely outplayed Mane yesterday.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, goso said:

How about Maitland-Niles. He’s fast, good defensively and Arsenal don’t want him. I know he thinks he’s a winger, but he completely outplayed Mane yesterday.

We're not going to spend 20 million plus on a player we don't need.

 

We probably won't spend that on a player we do need.

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 27/08/2020 at 23:31, pimpin4rizeal said:

I really don’t see that we would be interested in ntcham If McKennie was the top target.. ntcham just seems like a technical midfielder who is a bit lazy and only turns it on when he feels like it. Doesn’t sound like the pressing beast we would be interested in.

i think it’s more likely we turn our attention to ronaldo Vieira or even Mangala tbh

What do we think to Jefferson Lerma of the parish of Boscombe? At least he has Premier League experience.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, the saint in winchester said:

According to Spotrac, he's on £50k. Any chance Bmth put in relegation wage clauses? Could we go to £50k? I think we could. My googling suggests we were paying PEH £50k.

I read somewhere they hadn't, but no idea how reliable that was. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})