Hojbjerg replacement?

KingswoodSaint

19 hours ago, tajjuk said:

I think it's more about Romeu being our first choice, he's ok but really IMO we should be upgrading.

Plus those two central roles are very demanding, we can't expect JWP not to get injured he's done very well to avoid it this year and Romeu is a pretty much guaranteed booking so he'll get suspensions. 

I think ideally you'd want 3 first choice players for those two slots and then the youngsters battle it out for the 4th spot IMO. (presuming Reed goes). 

I know people here don't rate Hojberg but he was IIRC first in the league for ball recoveries and very high up on some other stats, he does need replacing. 

This

If we were to have two players for every position. At the moment that row of midfield is solely JWP and Romeu. Reed and Lemina are the only other two I can think of on the books.

If Lemina, as it's likely goes out on loan again we need someone, if we sell Reed we need two.

But we urgently need cover in case of injury.

33 minutes ago, Nolan said:

If we were to have two players for every position. At the moment that row of midfield is solely JWP and Romeu. Reed and Lemina are the only other two I can think of on the books.

If Lemina, as it's likely goes out on loan again we need someone, if we sell Reed we need two.

But we urgently need cover in case of injury.

Smallbone and Jankewitz are the cover as it stands. I severely doubt we buy two players and block both of them completely from competing for the top spots. More likely we buy one if Reed goes and then JWP and new CM start with Smallbone, Jankewitz and Romeu deputising. Wouldn't be surprised if we brought in no one though and had those two competing to see who could replace Romeu in the starting XI over the course of the season.

33 minutes ago, TWar said:

Smallbone and Jankewitz are the cover as it stands. I severely doubt we buy two players and block both of them completely from competing for the top spots. More likely we buy one if Reed goes and then JWP and new CM start with Smallbone, Jankewitz and Romeu deputising. Wouldn't be surprised if we brought in no one though and had those two competing to see who could replace Romeu in the starting XI over the course of the season.

I know he is young, but I'm not seeing Smallbone as being ready/good enough to provide solid midfield cover - based on what I've seen of him.     Could someone who has seen him in the u/23's   describe the attributes he has.     Very eager to see what Jankewitz can add at the higher level.    I'd love Harry Reed to be part of the set up next season but it doesn't look likely.    I believe a replacement for Hoj is needed.                                        

2 minutes ago, austsaint said:

I know he is young, but I'm not seeing Smallbone as being ready/good enough to provide solid midfield cover - based on what I've seen of him.     Could someone who has seen him in the u/23's   describe the attributes he has.     Very eager to see what Jankewitz can add at the higher level.    I'd love Harry Reed to be part of the set up next season but it doesn't look likely.    I believe a replacement for Hoj is needed.                                        

Smallbone played for the younger teams more as an attacking midfielder, or a number 10. He's a poor man's Lallana for me. I don't see him in one of the two in front of the back 4, but he's not a wide man either so doesn't really fit into the wide slots. I've only seen Jankewitz once but he impressed me. Very much a CM, looked strong, always eager for the ball, uses it well, quick over the first few yards. He had something about him from what I saw. 

1 minute ago, egg said:

Smallbone played for the younger teams more as an attacking midfielder, or a number 10. He's a poor man's Lallana for me. I don't see him in one of the two in front of the back 4, but he's not a wide man either so doesn't really fit into the wide slots. I've only seen Jankewitz once but he impressed me. Very much a CM, looked strong, always eager for the ball, uses it well, quick over the first few yards. He had something about him from what I saw. 

Interesting observation.    The games WS has played wide, he looked lost - he doesn't seem to have the quick feet or the guile for a 10 role.   I suppose if you take JWP as an example, then maybe Smallbone will come good with time and maturity.     I still feel that the Club missed a trick with Reed - perhaps with Morgan, Vic and a young JWP about the place the midfielder house was fairly crowded.

1 hour ago, TWar said:

Smallbone looks to have been used in straight swaps for Armstrong in the middle row of 2's in the 4-2-2-2, rather than the DM row in the games he's played

in one of his interviews ralph has spoken about how smallbone's preferred position is actually more of a 8 and not a 10. dont see it myself though, especially in the 4222 that ralph uses. perhaps he could do it in a 3 but not enough power to play in a 2 in the prem from what ive seen

On 13/08/2020 at 10:43, Disco Stu said:

I'd be quite satisfied with a Romeu + Ward-Prowse partnership but we will need another midfielder. Personally, I'd love a more creative midfielder than Hoijbjerg; somebody physical, full of energy but with a bit of vision to help transition the ball forward.

On 13/08/2020 at 10:53, Toussaint said:

You say replacement, I'm more than happy with Romeu, so I'd be looking for a cover / understudy / succession planning. 

On 13/08/2020 at 12:14, tajjuk said:

I think it's more about Romeu being our first choice, he's ok but really IMO we should be upgrading.

Have to say I'm not convinced that we should be relying on Romeu as a starting choice, especially to cover the full season. The downside of a good end to season is that many have glossed over the inadequacies of the previous two seasons.

Although Romeu still has something to offer he's been shown in the last couple of years to be exposed as a bit slow and sometimes cumbersome on the ball. 

Definitely need a replacement, hopefully an upgrade on Hojberg.

Jankewitz from what I've read is promising but the fact he wasn't given a run out towards the end of season indicates RH doesn't feel he's ready.

10 minutes ago, Batman said:

the idea creeping into the heads of some loon's that we do not need to bring in a CM and that Rom+JwP is just fine - is laughable

we clearly need to bring in a starting quality CM, like we have a CB and RB

So having an opinion categorises you as mentally unwell (loon) and an object of ridicule (laughable)?  Interesting point that you make. 

25 minutes ago, Badger said:

Have to say I'm not convinced that we should be relying on Romeu as a starting choice, especially to cover the full season. The downside of a good end to season is that many have glossed over the inadequacies of the previous two seasons.

Although Romeu still has something to offer he's been shown in the last couple of years to be exposed as a bit slow and sometimes cumbersome on the ball. 

Definitely need a replacement, hopefully an upgrade on Hojberg.

Jankewitz from what I've read is promising but the fact he wasn't given a run out towards the end of season indicates RH doesn't feel he's ready.

This. Replacement required it’s a long old season.

McKennie's move from Schalke to Hertha BSC failed - overall package too expensive

If it was said less than a week ago that Hertha BSC had a good chance of signing Weston McKennie , the deal has now apparently broken. According to the " Bild ", Berlin and FC Schalke 04 had  gotten closer - but not enough. Now the negotiations came to a standstill.

Accordingly, Hertha was ready to transfer a little less than 20 million euros including bonuses for the 21-year-old midfielder to Gelsenkirchen. The financially badly shaken Schalke would have insisted on 25 million euros for their home-grown McKennie. Together with the American's salary expectations, the entire package was too expensive for Hertha, with a four to five year contract over 40 million euros, according to the newspaper.

In addition, for McKennie the "old lady" was not the ideal option. The national player, however, continues to dream of a transfer to the Premier League . The Southampton FC , Leicester City and Wolverhampton Wanderers were traded as prospects for McKennie in recent weeks in the TM rumor mill.

According to "Bild", it is above all the "Saints" of trainer Ralph Hasenhüttl who are in need after the sale of ex-Schalke Pierre-Emile Höjbjerg (25; Tottenham) and are therefore showing interest. Schalke would like to continue selling McKennie in order to be able to use the fresh money that is currently not available for other important positions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Batman said:

the idea creeping into the heads of some loon's that we do not need to bring in a CM and that Rom+JwP is just fine - is laughable

it's down to the 'end of season syndrome'. Not just for MF, but reading the posts on here after our run-in people expect next season goals will flow aplenty as Adams has found his shooting boots, not for the first time in his career Stephens has eclipsed Maguire, and KWP will be the greatest right back we've ever had...

5 hours ago, Batman said:

Has anyone said that? The idea has crept into my head that we may not bring in a CM. That's a different thing. 

10 hours ago, edprice1984 said:

Matty Longstaff rumoured again

Potential bargain, as he's out of contract (though compensation still has to be paid), but isn't he just basically Harrison Reed? Lots of energy, hustle, keeps it simple, ginger.

I suppose if we're losing Harry for £8m and we can get in a younger Harry for a bit less, it's good business.

4 hours ago, qwertyell said:

Potential bargain, as he's out of contract (though compensation still has to be paid), but isn't he just basically Harrison Reed? Lots of energy, hustle, keeps it simple, ginger.

I suppose if we're losing Harry for £8m and we can get in a younger Harry for a bit less, it's good business.

Well he's 5 years younger so that is a start and I'm presuming there is an expectation that he might be able to improve even more. 

• Like 1

On 14/08/2020 at 08:19, Professor said:

One name I haven't seen mentioned is Callum Slattery.  Was on loan to De Graafschap in the Eerste Divisie, the German second tier side.  The season there ended early due to COVID-19 and back in Southampton, Slattery signed a 2-year contract extension to June 2022.  Now aged 21, if he is to fulfil his early promise, this would be the season for him to make his mark. if he is in the frame, an indication would be to see him training with the first team.

Come bro you know netherlands isn't germany 😂😂😂

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8620167/Jose-Mourinho-finally-beloved-midfield-anchor-man-Pierre-Emile-Hojbjerg.html

That was a decent read, until the end of this sentence:

"Tottenham's club motto is 'To Dare is To Do'. Hojbjerg's mentality encaptures that saying and he's the kind of player fan gets off their seats for. "

Not quite sure he's *that* kinda player...

8 minutes ago, trousers said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8620167/Jose-Mourinho-finally-beloved-midfield-anchor-man-Pierre-Emile-Hojbjerg.html

"Tottenham's club motto is 'To Dare is To Do'. Hojbjerg's mentality encaptures that saying and he's the kind of player fan gets off their seats for. "

I guess if you’re going to leave early, they’re not wrong.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, trousers said:

There's a lot of shite in the media like this. Honestly, they've described him as a positive/forwarding thinking midfielder, someone they haven't had since Eriksen and now someone who gets fans off their seats.

Spurs fans are going to be completely bewildered when they see him. Maybe the media are just having a huge troll-fest with Spurs fans? Would be funny.

Edited by S-Clarke

29 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

There's a lot of shite in the media like this. Honestly, they've described him as a positive/forwarding thinking midfielder, someone they haven't had since Eriksen and now someone who gets fans off their seats.

Spurs fans are going to be completely bewildered when they see him. Maybe the media are just having a huge troll-fest with Spurs fans? Would be funny.

They don’t actually seem to know what sort of player he is. Some claimed we were trying to bring Lallana back as Hojbjergs replacement. It’s very odd them seem convinced he’s an attacking creative player when he’s anything but.

On 15/08/2020 at 18:41, Matthew Le God said:

Decent passer of the ball and better than Hojberg with that aspect of the game but shooting is similar. Celtic fans I work with rate him highly but do say he will attempt a dozen shots on goal from outside the box with only one on target. They are also not sure why Lennon does not start him more in games. 

13 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Lets be honest, if he struggles to get in the Celtic side, it's unlikely he's ready to be starting in the premier league. Scottish league is Championship level at best

Armstrong also struggled to get into the Celtic side...

43 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Lets be honest, if he struggles to get in the Celtic side, it's unlikely he's ready to be starting in the premier league. Scottish league is Championship level at best

To be fair Celtic fans are bemused as to why he's not playing and rate him as their best CM. 

2 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

He's probably their best player technically (in midfield), but he's struggled with commitment at times and has been known to switch off. Technically very gifted though, above the Scottish level without question. I worry he may be another Lemina style player.

Edited by S-Clarke

20 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

He's probably their best player technically (in midfield), but he's struggled with commitment at times and has been known to switch off. Technically very gifted though, above the Scottish level without question. I worry he may be another Lemina style player.

Sounds exactly like Lemina to me...loan for a season possibly..

1 hour ago, Colinjb said:

Swear they said this about Van Dijk.

Yeah, similar was said for sure. But it was because he was 'too good for the league' and he used to stroll around a bit, according to them

He certainly was too good for that league!

Edited by S-Clarke

Wouldn't it be great to get a Hojbjerg replacement who's actually an upgrade who then makes Hojbjerg look a bit of a tit when we play Spurs?

Their fans would hate it.  I'm not sure how it's going to go for him at Spurs, he's definitely not getting anyone out of their seats (other when they've got to dive out of the way of his row Z shots).

On 15/08/2020 at 18:41, Matthew Le God said:

Hard to say if we still have interest -- But I wonder if Celtic want to get through Champs league qualifying before potentially selling him?*

(MLG Disclaimer -- I'm aware he's not a starter for them).

50 minutes ago, Turkish said:

My sources tell me it wont be Mckennie. We are pulling out of the race and likely to go to Juventus, unless something changes.

Is that the poster on the other thread well before you?