Hojbjerg replacement?

KingswoodSaint

I posted this on the ownership thread earlier but might be worth an airing on this thread....

This Jackson Yueill fella struck me as being a potentially decent replacement for Hojbjerg.... seems to have more of an eye for a forward pass than our erstwhile midfielder too, which is a bonus.... and if there's a smidgen of truth in any of these vague rumours of Amercian investment/ownership, then having an Amercian player on board would tie things together nicely..... anyone know anything about his credentials? Definitely has the right age and valuation profile for a Saints prospect

MLG notes:
(a) yes, I'm fully aware that its a lower standard of football and that the premer league might be beyond his capabilities
(b) yes, I know the American ownership thing is probably pie in the sky

Edited by trousers

On 07/09/2020 at 10:22, the saint in winchester said:

I don't think any Bournemouth players impressed last season. But the chance to play in a decent Saints side under an expressive manager may invigorate Lerma's game. Although, he could be another Lemina, I don't know. Just would rather have a player that has experience in the EPL than an overseas league player.

Apart from their names, I believe Lerma and Lemina are very different.  Lerma is a proper destroyer type, gets yellow cards for days.  I think he could be a very clever signing and from the way Bournemouth are selling, I suspect they need lots of cash coming in.

1 hour ago, trousers said:

I posted this on the ownership thread earlier but might be worth an airing on this thread....

This Jackson Yueill fella struck me as being a potentially decent replacement for Hojbjerg.... seems to have more of an eye for a forward pass than our erstwhile midfielder too, which is a bonus.... and if there's a smidgen of truth in any of these vague rumours of Amercian investment/ownership, then having an Amercian player on board would tie things together nicely..... anyone know anything about his credentials? Definitely has the right age and valuation profile for a Saints prospect

MLG notes:
(a) yes, I'm fully aware that its a lower standard of football and that the premer league might be beyond his capabilities
(b) yes, I know the American ownership thing is probably pie in the sky

Loving the MLG notes i'm seeing

34 minutes ago, egg said:

Jeez. He's shocking. A downgrade on Hoj, and Reed. 

Always struck me as an old fashioned limited thug of a player in the middle. Could add some steel to our centre, but he's really reckless and quite dirty, probably why Leicester would let him come to us, if they do.

I like Choudhury - he's a raw talent. Reckless at times, but I can see him being the kind of player Hasenhuttl would enjoy: hares around the pitch, physical, neat on the ball. 

I remember him absolutely dominating our kids back when he was in the u23s. Easily the best player on the pitch.

There's something to work with. But I can't imagine Leicester selling him cheap, nor us coughing up the numbers when we could source an overseas player for half the price.

8 hours ago, stevy777_x said:

Just take somebody on loan with an option to buy next summer.

clubs who are skint do that all the time. No need to take risks and spend money on players who weren t on our initial list of targets.

The slight flaw in your brilliant plan is that the selling club have to agree to it as well. 

2 minutes ago, Turkish said:

The slight flaw in your brilliant plan is that the selling club have to agree to it as well. 

And then the player agree to sign on expiry of the loan rather than just use us a shop window for a season(The 'Toby' rule  2015).

1 hour ago, skintsaint said:

Its all gone quiet on this front.....no credible links for a new midfielder anywhere? Look forward to our last min window deadline loanee...

The whole market feels a bit dead to be honest.

We could probably do with losing Hoedt first to free up a little more $$. Towards the end of this month things will ramp up in my opinion. Clubs see how their squads settle in after a few weeks/react to injuries etc. 

We'll see what happens.

Edited by S-Clarke

As we're struggling to find a fee, we should take a look at Delar Kuzyaev, 27 years old, out of contract midfielder who plays anywhere across midfield. A real box to box midfielder. Wages might be highish as he played for Zenit At Petersburg last but might be attainable for around £50k per week. 

Screenshot_20200912-105342.png

Face facts...

1. We haven't got a replacement lined up.

2. We potentially had one but sold him to Fulham.

3. The 'targets' that were supposedly identified were clearly just a load of hot air. McKennie, Ntcham, Choudhury. Why would any of them come to Saints?

4. We'll end up with some kid on loan from somewhere like Spurs or Liverpool. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sidney Fudpucker the 3rd said:

Face facts...

3. The 'targets' that were supposedly identified were clearly just a load of hot air. McKennie, Ntcham, Choudhury. Why would any of them come to Saints?

I think you'd struggle to justify any of those are 'facts'.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sidney Fudpucker the 3rd said:

Face facts...

Go and get your nappy changed

21 minutes ago, TWar said:

We still have a number of targets (Mangala, Ntcham, choudhury) that haven't gone anywhere yet and probably even more behind the scenes that haven't hit the media. No need to panic that there is no one left. 

I think the "worry" is there is no money available rather than no potential targets left.

We haven't got any money - or very little anyway.

We had to sell Hojberg to fund KWP.  The extra from this and the new sponsor paid for Salisu.

And I expect any money we got for the loans of Cedric and Yoshida - which wasn't used to pay them off - was spent on KWP and Salisu.

And if we sell Boufal for £3-4 million most of this will go on paying him off as well.   So we have the Reed money and maybe a little bit extra to buy a much needed CM and a RW/AM. But I think we are selling Boufal to get him off the wage bill more than anything else.  

Romeu, Josh Sims, Hesketh, McQueen and Bertrand all have a year left on their contracts so there is no real money to be made in selling them - just like with Boufal.  

And the ones we want to sell we can't - by the time Hoedt, Vestergaard, Forster have a year left on their contracts next summer we will be able to sell them - but most of the money raised from doing so will probably have to go towards paying the last year of their contracts off.  

Our only hope is next summer Fulham stay up and have to buy Lemina and Elyounoussi has such a great season at Celtic and with 2 years left on his contract we can sell him for a decent amount.  

But we'll have to sell Bednarek who will only have a year left on his contract for less than he is worth like Hojberg this summer.  

On 08/09/2020 at 16:31, Jeremy Corbyn said:

Apart from their names, I believe Lerma and Lemina are very different.  Lerma is a proper destroyer type, gets yellow cards for days.  I think he could be a very clever signing and from the way Bournemouth are selling, I suspect they need lots of cash coming in.

I was going to suggest Jefferson Lerma might be just the sort of in your face midfielder who'd be available

On 20/09/2020 at 19:12, supaimpy_returns said:

I was going to suggest Jefferson Lerma might be just the sort of in your face midfielder who'd be available

I've been saying that for past two weeks, but does Ralph read what I say? :) They need cash, lots of it, so may be an issue to raise it, but as per ebay style, put it a late offer and they may take it.

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, TWar said:

If he keeps playing like he did today romeu will be our Hojbjerg replacement. Will be hard for Diallo to displace. 

Agreed but there will be games we need an extra defensive midfielder as well as injuries and suspension.

Have always loved Oriol my type of player I loved Brian O’Neill

30 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

Agreed but there will be games we need an extra defensive midfielder as well as injuries and suspension.

Have always loved Oriol my type of player I loved Brian O’Neill

I think Brian O' Neill was a lot more mobile around the pitch though.

8 minutes ago, Chocolate Box said:

Now there was a player

Agreed, but can you imagine the horror in the media if we still had him tearing around the pitch, socks round ankles with no shin pads, making his trademark tackles on the tarts playing for the Big 6 ? In O'Neill's day there wasn't a major problem as the big clubs accepted it was part of the game and had players who could dish it out in equal measure. (Although Shankly did take exception in 1970).

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Badger said:

I think Brian O' Neill was a lot more mobile around the pitch though.

Agreed, but can you imagine the horror in the media if we still had him tearing around the pitch, socks round ankles with no shin pads, making his trademark tackles on the tarts playing for the Big 6 ? In O'Neill's day there wasn't a major problem as the big clubs accepted it was part of the game and had players who could dish it out in equal measure. (Although Shankly did take exception in 1970).

Would be fun to watch though ,until he was sent off.

11 minutes ago, Chocolate Box said:

Would be fun to watch though ,until he was sent off.

Agree.

Shame we can't bring back Jim Steel, John McGrath and Jimmy Gabriel  in their prime whilst we're at it although not sure they'd cope with the lifestyle and diet changes required now.