January 2021 transfer window

mcbendy

40 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

That's how loan deals work, every loan deal has a fee attached to it.

40 minutes ago, MarkSFC said:

I think you're missing the point. To loan you usually pay a fee anyway. In this case we could pay the same fee but sign King on "permanent terms" for 6 months to get past the maximum loan period. Win win. 

But the only players we've signed on loan in the last few years were players we had intent of signing permanently anyway. 

Looks like this season will be Another wasted opportunity due to a complete lack of ambition/willingness to invest in the club by the owner. 

At the start of Jan we had a very good chance to challenging top 6, maybe even top 4 if we were lucky. A thin squad full of inadequate backups for a prolonged period of time has cost us. 

I’m getting to the point where I hope Ralph walks to be honest. We have some good people on charge of the club, their hands are just completely tied behind their back because Gao. Who’s probably the worst owner in the PL. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Sky reports that West Brom have dropped out of pursuit of AMN

“Ainsley Maitland-Niles was the one they were keen on, but he’s dropped out. Expect them instead to go for somebody else. I’ve got a couple of names in the frame that I’m checking out and I’ll get back to you on that one.

6 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Ramsey plays at right back as well as centreback doesn't he?

I think he has played there once or twice already in the early days of Ralph’s tenure  but hasn’t been considered a viable option since it seems. 

It’s a shame that injuries and square pegs in round holes will likely badly affect what has been a promising season. 

2 minutes ago, SKD said:

Looks like this season will be Another wasted opportunity due to a complete lack of ambition/willingness to invest in the club by the owner. 

At the start of Jan we had a very good chance to challenging top 6, maybe even top 4 if we were lucky. A thin squad full of inadequate backups for a prolonged period of time has cost us. 

I’m getting to the point where I hope Ralph walks to be honest. We have some good people on charge of the club, their hands are just completely tied behind their back because Gao. Who’s probably the worst owner in the PL. 

Whatever you think of Gao, he can’t be blamed for our lack of income due to the pandemic. Many clubs are stuggling financially. As for a top four finish, was never going to happen imho. Nor top 6. We had a purple patch but were never going to sustain it. We aren’t the kind of club that can attract or afford real quality in depth.

1 minute ago, Matthew Le God said:

Why on earth would you hope for that?

Perhaps it’ll be the kick up the backside Gao needs. Or maybe he’ll lose a shit load on his investment. 

Either way would be a result for me. At this point, we may as well be fan owned, the bloke brings nothing at all to the table... and Newcastle think they have it bad under Ashley. 

1 minute ago, sadoldgit said:

Whatever you think of Gao, he can’t be blamed for our lack of income due to the pandemic. Many clubs are stuggling financially. As for a top four finish, was never going to happen imho. Nor top 6. We had a purple patch but were never going to sustain it. We aren’t the kind of club that can attract or afford real quality in depth.

It’s not just 1 window though, is it. Time after time we go into a season without any real depth. For example we knew we needed full back cover in October! 

surely, as an owner, if the club with a very talented manager, we’re on the brink of top 6 you’d pump some money in to try and achieve that (thus likely making back your revenue stream). 

we’re not talking a huge war chest with 100m+ here, we’re talking 2 or 3 players at most. 

we’re toothless without ings goals (he’s not even getting the service) we are desperate for a full back and someone with a bit of creativity up the top end of the field. 

3 minutes ago, SKD said:

Perhaps it’ll be the kick up the backside Gao needs. Or maybe he’ll lose a shit load on his investment. 

Either way would be a result for me. At this point, we may as well be fan owned, the bloke brings nothing at all to the table... and Newcastle think they have it bad under Ashley. 

Cutting off your nose to spite your face. Losing a good manager isn't something to be hoped for.

Fan owned isn't going to happen. Saints are a £200m+ company. That doesn't make fan ownership feasible.

• Like 1

Just now, SKD said:

It’s not just 1 window though, is it. Time after time we go into a season without any real depth. For example we knew we needed full back cover in October! 

surely, as an owner, if the club with a very talented manager, we’re on the brink of top 6 you’d pump some money in to try and achieve that (thus likely making back your revenue stream). 

we’re not talking a huge war chest with 100m+ here, we’re talking 2 or 3 players at most. 

we’re toothless without ings goals (he’s not even getting the service) we are desperate for a full back and someone with a bit of creativity up the top end of the field. 

Do you not think, when you look at how little transfers have happened this window, that maybe no one has the money to bring new players in?

What we have at the moment is an injury crisis, we aren't a big enough club to spend our way out of it. But we are attempting to get some cover in at full back, but I can see this being damn hard to achieve today, given the bigger clubs aren't bringing players in, they're mostly going to be reluctant to let anyone go out, even on loan (see Williams at Man Utd).

20 minutes ago, manzo said:

Do you not think, when you look at how little transfers have happened this window, that maybe no one has the money to bring new players in?

What we have at the moment is an injury crisis, we aren't a big enough club to spend our way out of it. But we are attempting to get some cover in at full back, but I can see this being damn hard to achieve today, given the bigger clubs aren't bringing players in, they're mostly going to be reluctant to let anyone go out, even on loan (see Williams at Man Utd).

It's not 'just because of COVID' - it's the in fashion excuse for most things at the moment. Our situation was exactly the same before COVID.

We had to sell Targett for the exact sum of money we needed to pay Birmingham for Adams for example. We couldn't bring in KWP on loan until we'd loaned out Cedric for a fee etc. We have been run like this for several years now, whilst it can be called sustainable, it's also like operating with your arms tied up behind you with no flexibility when problems such as now occur.

Obviously as with all clubs we have been further hit by the 'football pause', but it's not fair to say that we are like this just because of COVID. We have been run on a shoestring for sometime now, but we've been lucky not to have been hit by injuries as we have now.

Let's hope we can pull some rabbits out of the hat before the closure of the window.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 2

Hoping Ralph leaves to stick 2 fingers up to Gao.

Questioning why we haven’t got the squad depth to cover for injuries to 4 or 5 key players.

Asking why we aren’t competing for the top 4 after we had such a positive start.

... standard stuff all in one morning, impressive. We are Southampton - we will win some games, we will lose some games, we will struggle when players are injured, we will sign some good players who move on, we will sign duds that stay until the end of their contracts.

Just try and enjoy the good times, such as when we have a manager like Ralph, and engage brain when you’re asking why we aren’t competing with billion of pounds at the top of the Prem.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, sadoldgit said:

Owner lets football people run the club, football people fuck up and make bad expensive signings and this makes us struggle financially (and then we have massive Covid impact on finances on top), owner then replaces football people with better football people, who make better signings, but owner is still bad, doesn't really make any sense.

If owners get involved in clubs too much and change too much fans complain, now we have fans complaining the owner is bad because he doesn't get involved enough, you couldn't make it up.

Basically it seems if you don't throw money into a football club then you are a bad owner, which means most of the clubs in the PL have bad owners. 

Honestly some people, and I'd include Newcastle fans in this, because Ashley is nowhere near as bad as made out to be, need a reality check and need to go look at like Bury etc.  I believe Basingstoke, who are a local club to here have basically had their ground sold by their owner to get turned into some sort of development even though it has a covenant on it saying it has to be used for football for the next 50 years but this means they have no home ground to play on, people need to get some perspective what an actual bad owner is, someone who lets the club run itself and doesn't interfere in football decisions is above average on the scale of football owners IMO. 

Yeh it would be good if we had more investment to push on this season and yes sadly I think this may be an opportunity missed, but it is what is, we could be a lot worse off and a lot of clubs are. 

Edited by tajjuk

Just now, Saint Garrett said:
Southampton have ended their interest in Arsenal’s Ainsley Maitland-Niles, after becoming increasingly frustrated in negotiations with his reps #saintsfc will continue to pursue other targets between now & 11pm

Clearly wanted CM assurances which he wouldn't of got. A shame but no surprise

From what I read, AMN wanted to push for a chance in midfield for England at the Euro's - that's where he sees himself. He wanted regular football in midfield, but it seemed quite clear we were going to use him exactly as Arsenal used him - a squad player to add cover to numerous areas, currently full back.

6 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

From what I read, AMN wanted to push for a chance in midfield for England at the Euro's - that's where he sees himself. He wanted regular football in midfield, but it seemed quite clear we were going to use him exactly as Arsenal used him - a squad player to add cover to numerous areas, currently full back.

He's been a victim of his own versatility and being a good pro at Arsenal, can't blame him for forcing his chance at CM at this stage.