January 2021 transfer window

mcbendy

So, what's going to happen? At the moment it looks like the one position we'd like to strengthen in is second choice full-back. If KWP or Bertrand are injured our second string players are a significant step down. Where else will we strengthen? Any players who might leave us in January?

Blimey, this feels a bit early! But then you think, it's only 10 or so weeks away.

Let's see how we go is my answer at the mo. Looking at the squad as a whole at the moment we look fairly balanced in most places, two full backs either side, 4 centre backs, way too many goal keepers, nice options in CM. Attacking options look interesting too.

I guess it depends on form and injury really, that'll dictate what we do. My main concern has always been what do we do if Ings gets injured? I feel we shouldn't have renewed Longs contract and used that space to get another CF, but it's not always that easy.

I don't think we urgently need anything right now though, which I guess makes the last window a success - one of the first ones in many a year where I feel we haven't left a glaring hole in an obvious area, which is pretty good going given that we've had to do that with little to no money.

Edited by S-Clarke

Everyone's second choice players are a significant step down at fullback. Last season Liverpool won the league with youth players at back up fullback of Neko Williams and Lewis, or maybe an out of position James Milner. This whole "we'd be screwed if X went down" thing is born out of a massive overestimation of what acceptable squad depth is. If we had anywhere near the quality of back up full back as our primary fullback then we would be ahead of most teams in the league back up wise. Youth as back up in some positions (fullback, 4th cb, 4th CM, 4th striker) is pretty much the norm. 

8 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

As of right now I don’t really see much need to bring anyone in, although given that we tried to sign Williams on loan, we may go for another FB. If Theo does play up front we might see Long loaned out until next summer but probably not.

Probably find after the Shaw measured hack on Sunday, his head wobbles,  and we find Shaw being offered on loan as Williams is considered the safer head on the pitch.

Valery is a massive concern - he’s way off the required level at the moment (really not sure what has happened to him), I’m less concerned about Vokins who has looked OK when required. I think you would struggle to find a worse reserve right back in the division. And we simply don’t know about dm - if Dallio is a quick starter then we should be ok. 

17 minutes ago, Hodgey said:

Valery is a massive concern - he’s way off the required level at the moment (really not sure what has happened to him), I’m less concerned about Vokins who has looked OK when required. I think you would struggle to find a worse reserve right back in the division. And we simply don’t know about dm - if Dallio is a quick starter then we should be ok. 

To be fair to Valery he has had a hell of a lot going on in his personal life. Not surprising that his performance has suffered.

I guess it will depend on what happens re the EFL window. I can't see us going through the whole season with McCarthy, Forster and Gunn on the books. Might incomings depend on injuries? Personally I don't think we have enough depth at fullback on either flank. Valery really hasn't impressed me. Vokins looks raw still.

On 07/10/2020 at 08:16, Hodgey said:

He's only looked decent as a RWB in a back 5, he's not had one good game at RB.  He's not anywhere good enough positionally to play there, but has had good games when he can go forward.

He's ok for a few months, lets just hope that KWP doesn't get injured.  More likely you'd see Diallo/Romeu in CM with JWP playing RB I would think.

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, mcbendy said:

With Virgil out for the season (maybe), if Salisu hits the ground running then...

If Virgil is out for the season they'd most likely get Steven Caulker on loan again. 

• Haha 1

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12113276/fa-threatens-premier-league-clubs-over-january-foreign-signings

"The Football Association has urged Premier League clubs to accept its new system that will block "lower quality foreign players" from joining in the January transfer window."

So, so more signing 'hidden gems' like Mané for clubs of our stature then...

2 minutes ago, trousers said:

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12113276/fa-threatens-premier-league-clubs-over-january-foreign-signings

"The Football Association has urged Premier League clubs to accept its new system that will block "lower quality foreign players" from joining in the January transfer window."

So, so more signing 'hidden gems' like Mané for clubs of our stature then...

The potential new system outlined in the article doesn't apply to him as Mane isn't European. 

"Whatever we do it's inevitable that your access to European talent will be reduced from the current free access, however we want to increase the access you have to non-European talent so that the Premier League can maintain its position as the leading league in the world,"

So if anything, it would make it easier to sign players like Mane!

Edited by Matthew Le God

FFS MLG... I was attempting to see if anyone else would pick up my deliberate misinterpretation of the article. At least give the others a couple of hours to discover it before you jump in with your reveal. Jeez, I thought we had an understanding on this by now :(

• Like 1

Is everyone trying to one up each other with the shit ideas in football at the moment? 

“Government requirements are that players coming to play here should be internationally established at the highest level; making a significant contribution to football; and not taking the place of already settled talent.“

We can’t afford such players. We would not be able to sign Diallo under such rules. 

Edited by HarvSFC

1 hour ago, HarvSFC said:

Is everyone trying to one up each other with the shit ideas in football at the moment? 

“Government requirements are that players coming to play here should be internationally established at the highest level; making a significant contribution to football; and not taking the place of already settled talent.“

We can’t afford such players. We would not be able to sign Diallo under such rules. 

It's 2020, nothing ceases to amaze me.

They'll probably say goalkeepers can't use their hands next.

1 hour ago, HarvSFC said:

Its Brexit, of course it will be a shit idea.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

Reckon Rose would be good enough for backup for the season if given a freebie from Spurs?

We aren’t going to have Bertrand, Rose and Vokins on the books. Given that the bar for reserve fullbacks has been set by the likes of Fox, Pied, Martina, Targett and Valery in recent years, I can’t see us bringing in anyone above JV.

43 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

We aren’t going to have Bertrand, Rose and Vokins on the books. Given that the bar for reserve fullbacks has been set by the likes of Fox, Pied, Martina, Targett and Valery in recent years, I can’t see us bringing in anyone above JV.

Was speculating due to us apparently going for Williams on a season loan so feel RH may want better than JV at left back this season. Maybe JV can prove him wrong and step up when needed :)

7 hours ago, mcbendy said:

The lack of cup games is a shame. It would have been good to see more of the likes of Vokins to judge how short we are prior to the January window

I don't think it is, our team is highly organised and plays at a frantic pace, we know we perform a lot better with decent rest and time for Ralph to prepare for games.  No league cup helps us with that, especially with a constricted calendar this year. 

I also don't think we need anyone else, there are areas we can improve but I doubt you'll find that in January. We have cover for most positions maybe not like for like quality but then who really does, even the big clubs struggle with that. 

Get the 3 contracts done is the biggest priority, and then by next summer we are hopefully further clear of the deadwood and there will be more room in the finances for a couple of quality upgrades. 

A good season, maybe around the top 8, no relegation flirting, no sales of key players and then more room in the budget to try to push on for a European place the following season. (that's if the big boys haven't completely shut that down by then)

Depending on how Salisu performs (which might create the need for another centre-back), I reckon main upgrade areas would be GK and a no.10.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, skintsaint said:

Was speculating due to us apparently going for Williams on a season loan so feel RH may want better than JV at left back this season. Maybe JV can prove him wrong and step up when needed :)

Brandon Williams is a right back, if we were going for him, it was for back up for KWP.

15 minutes ago, igsey said:

Brandon Williams is a right back, if we were going for him, it was for back up for KWP.

Almost all his games for United have been as a left back, and he seems almost completely two footed, so I guess he was seen as good cover for both sides.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, saintwbu said:

Almost all his games for United have been as a left back, and he seems almost completely two footed, so I guess he was seen as good cover for both sides.

Oh I know most of his games are at LB, but he's an out-of-position RB. If you watch him he is the exact opposite of two-footed - watching him run to the byline, cut back and cross with his right foot is painful at times. He has no left foot.

I agree though that we were interested in him for his ability to cover on both sides, but I don't think Vokins is as far down the pecking order as Valery is.

5 hours ago, igsey said:

4 hours ago, saintwbu said:

Not to mention KWP can play left back too, and has done for Spurs. Signing Williams would give us great versitility, although I would like him on a permanent, which I don't think United would be open to.

We really need a keeper upgrade, not sure who we could get though that's affordable and an upgrade. I'd actually like us to go for a more experienced keeper than trying to sign younger ones like we have been. Get someone who's at least 29 in to solidify us at the back more.