January 2021 transfer window

mcbendy

10 hours ago, mcbendy said:

Or more to the point, here is a list of saints players not getting a look in at the moment. No insight as to why any one of these players might go out on loan, just idle speculation based on a list and (lack of) appearances. The Sam McQueen one is absurd, given that he is not even back in full training yet. Also unlikely that both Forster and Latham will go on loan. There's a long way to go this season, and the players listed will get chances at some point when injuries and suspensions set in. We actually have a very small squad at the moment.

22 minutes ago, Badger said:

Can't see that happening now. I think KWP has taken that role.

We're after more options at fullback though, given our link to Brandon Williams - so we obviously feel we need a bit more (probably down to the lack of confidence in Valery etc)

6 minutes ago, LeG said:

Maehle can play LB, LWB, LM, RB, RWB and RM. Young, rapid, PL build and excellent fitness. Wouldn't cost too much. He would displace KWP let alone challenge him imo. It would really help us to have this kind of player. Hope we get him. 

Any idea how much? Must be approaching £20m given we had a bid of £11.5m (?) turned down in the January 2019 window.

33 minutes ago, LeG said:

Maehle can play LB, LWB, LM, RB, RWB and RM. Young, rapid, PL build and excellent fitness. Wouldn't cost too much. He would displace KWP let alone challenge him imo. It would really help us to have this kind of player. Hope we get him. 

Maybe he’s seen as the long term replacement for Bertrand then? Be surprised to see KWP dropped he’s been excellent 

6 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Maybe he’s seen as the long term replacement for Bertrand then? Be surprised to see KWP dropped he’s been excellent 

Doubt it as he is primarily a RB who can cover at LB. Much like KWP.

I don't think he will end up here as doubt we have £10m+ to spend on a backup full back.

Just now, LeG said:

Somewhere else. Same as when I said Walcott was on a shortlist, so is Maehle. He has been on it a while though. I'm very suprised he isn't already here to be honest. Might be a financial thing....waiting for January. We know the player wants out. Maybe the club viewed Williams as a better option, but im not convinced united will sell and we sure as hell arent developing other teams' players without an indication of a permanent move down the line. 

Cheers.  Yeah, it’s been a while.  Burnley wanted him too apparently but finances scuppered that.

6 hours ago, LeG said:

We've never really replaced Jeremy Pied , versatile and reliable, useful player to have , Valery could probably do with a loan to develop some confidence playing in front of crowds again once allowed back. 

I also get the impression that Obafemi is being overtaken by N'Dululu for first team bench. Obafemi's goals at Chelsea and Man United last season have given the impression he's a better player than he really is. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

We're after more options at fullback though, given our link to Brandon Williams - so we obviously feel we need a bit more (probably down to the lack of confidence in Valery etc)

I'm sure we are, but Wiiliams was a loan as I recall. I don't see us spending the kind of £ that Genk are likely to want for Maehle to be an "option" or cover.

10 hours ago, LeG said:

From the little I've seen I'd be pleased to see him here. I'd have preferred him or Zeefuik in the summer ahead of KWP though I'm not sure he would displace KWP at the moment.

To be fair KWP hasn't looked out of place this season (opening two games aside in which the whole team were poor),and has been been a pretty consistent performer, better than I expected. 

2 hours ago, Appy said:

I think another full back that can cover either side what would an important addition, as it stands if KWP gets injured we’re in a bit of trouble. 

KWP does play both sides, so what we really need is a new RB, even one who only plays on the right, since Valery looks a write off.  As far as transfermarkt is aware, Maehle has only ever played on the right.

15 minutes ago, Cartman said:

KWP does play both sides, so what we really need is a new RB, even one who only plays on the right, since Valery looks a write off.  As far as transfermarkt is aware, Maehle has only ever played on the right.

Maehle often plays left internationally.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Appy said:

I think another full back that can cover either side what would an important addition, as it stands if KWP gets injured we’re in a bit of trouble. 

Do they exist? Not sure I can name any in the premier league that play left and right back 

18 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

Castagne or Justin at Leicester?

Hmm Castagne I can vouch for, I think Justin is predominantly a right back.

Honestly I don’t know any player can play on both sides at equal strength at fullback position

Cancelo is the other one I am half thinking but he is definitely better on the right side 

if they exist they’ll also cost a fortune or just be average

4 minutes ago, nta786 said:

Honestly I don’t know any player can play on both sides at equal strength at fullback position

Cancelo is the other one I am half thinking but he is definitely better on the right side 

Azpilicueta is another exception to this

7 minutes ago, nta786 said:

Denis Irwin

13 minutes ago, nta786 said:

Chris Makin.

Interesting comments coming out of the club recently regarding signings. It seems unlikely that we'll bring in anyone high profile. I wonder though whether we might with a few more young rough diamonds to polish. I still think we'll bring in a second choice full-back on loan.

1 hour ago, mcbendy said:

Interesting comments coming out of the club recently regarding signings. It seems unlikely that we'll bring in anyone high profile. I wonder though whether we might with a few more young rough diamonds to polish. I still think we'll bring in a second choice full-back on loan.

I hope we go for more £5m signings like Bednarek, Romeu, Juanmi (okay that didn’t pay off but it could have!)

We just need to make sure if we make such signings they are on really low wages so we can get rid just as easy too if they don’t cut the grade

Edited by nta786
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, nta786 said:

I hope we go for more £5m signings like Bednarek, Romeu, Juanmi (okay that didn’t pay off but it could have!)

We just need to make sure if we make such signings they are on really low wages so we can get rid just as easy too if they don’t cut the grade

£20 million buys you quality if you shop right. Ings and Vestergaard (now he's settled in and got better) seem good signings for around that money. But yes we have had a few expensive stinkers and it shows there are bargains to be had if you scout right.