Kgaogelo Chauke

Nordic Saint

6 hours ago, The Cat said:

Mad that he was playing for Thatcham Town until we signed him.

Why? He was only 14 when he was playing for them and when we signed him. Probably a good thing, some experience playing with seniors in a competitive environment rather than playing age group football at the Academy, probably "toughened him up".

15 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

Why? He was only 14 when he was playing for them and when we signed him. Probably a good thing, some experience playing with seniors in a competitive environment rather than playing age group football at the Academy, probably "toughened him up".

I misread the article. Most really good kids are in a pro team's academy long before they are 14 though. There's obviously the odd exception, he must be one of them. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

https://www.timeslive.co.za/sport/soccer/2021-01-06-safa-may-have-to-fight-england-for-services-of-southampton-teen-kgaogelo-chauke/

David Notoane:

"Kgaogelo Chauke is definitely one of the players that we want to have a look at before we make the final selection for the Tokyo Olympics‚”

"He is definitely on the radar for the Olympics together with the likes of Khanya Leshabane at Leicester City‚ Philippe Sandler at Manchester City‚ Ricardo Schutte at CD Mirandés in Spain and Sphephelo Sithole who is with Belenenses SAD in Portugal."

“I have always said that any talented young South African player who plays at a high level and is showing signs that he can compete will get an opportunity."

"We are working behind the scenes going through video material and looking at different players and what they can bring."

“Kgaogelo is a player who will definitely bring a different perspective to our game‚ similar to [Vitoria Guimaraes striker] Lyle Forster because they are big and strong."

1 hour ago, Master Bates said:

https://www.timeslive.co.za/sport/soccer/2021-01-06-safa-may-have-to-fight-england-for-services-of-southampton-teen-kgaogelo-chauke/

David Notoane:

"Kgaogelo Chauke is definitely one of the players that we want to have a look at before we make the final selection for the Tokyo Olympics‚”

"He is definitely on the radar for the Olympics together with the likes of Khanya Leshabane at Leicester City‚ Philippe Sandler at Manchester City‚ Ricardo Schutte at CD Mirandés in Spain and Sphephelo Sithole who is with Belenenses SAD in Portugal."

“I have always said that any talented young South African player who plays at a high level and is showing signs that he can compete will get an opportunity."

"We are working behind the scenes going through video material and looking at different players and what they can bring."

“Kgaogelo is a player who will definitely bring a different perspective to our game‚ similar to [Vitoria Guimaraes striker] Lyle Forster because they are big and strong."

Tremendous name.

I was lucky enough to see a lot of his football going through the age groups (my son played in the same team).  He's a lovely lad, his parents I'm sure are keeping him grounded and let's hope he can build a career from here.  It's a great example of a young boy with all the attributes that somehow the scouting nets failed to find, finally entering the system and benefitting from full time coaching.  Good luck to Kegs!

• Like 9

49 minutes ago, malcolm waldron said:

I was lucky enough to see a lot of his football going through the age groups (my son played in the same team).  He's a lovely lad, his parents I'm sure are keeping him grounded and let's hope he can build a career from here.  It's a great example of a young boy with all the attributes that somehow the scouting nets failed to find, finally entering the system and benefitting from full time coaching.  Good luck to Kegs!

What can you tell us about his playing style?

4 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:
4 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

What can you tell us about his playing style?

It's a while ago now but he had extreme balance and could get on the ball early and beat a player on either side.  He could turn and pirouette on the proverbial pound coin and so always got the ball and team moving forward in midfield.  I won't say anymore as things can change so quickly but you could see the natural attributes were there, and there's no reason why they shouldn't still be there.  Hopefully the rest is down to full time professional coaching rather than enthusiastic amateur coaching!  I'll say again that he has a very grounded family and so hopefully all the support is in place to help him progress.  In my view he deserves it.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, malcolm waldron said:

It's a while ago now but he had extreme balance and could get on the ball early and beat a player on either side.  He could turn and pirouette on the proverbial pound coin and so always got the ball and team moving forward in midfield.  I won't say anymore as things can change so quickly but you could see the natural attributes were there, and there's no reason why they shouldn't still be there.  Hopefully the rest is down to full time professional coaching rather than enthusiastic amateur coaching!  I'll say again that he has a very grounded family and so hopefully all the support is in place to help him progress.  In my view he deserves it.

Thanks for posting all that, Malcom.  Appreciate it.

• 5 months later...
12 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Not sure why...can't see him getting a chance for England.

Rules on switching allegiances are just so lax now.

You can even change nations providing you haven't played a competitive game. So if in 5 years when it becomes obvious he won't make it into the England squad, can easily change his mind. 

On 06/01/2021 at 18:27, malcolm waldron said:

You can bet on the Southampton coaches to coach every bit of creativity and guile out of him! Just look at what’s happened to Redmond, Djenepo et al.😜

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

How's he been getting on?  Seemed to be a lot of enthusiasm when he joined.

Been injured for the last few months.

I know he was set to sign for Reading and we came in at the 11th hour and pinched him, they were, and still are, gutted about it which is a good sign.

Think he'll be a slow burner, but a decent prospect, reminds me a bit of Chambers in the sense of others having a higher reputation, but he'll have a better long-term career

• 5 months later...
15 hours ago, Master Bates said:

Being scouted by Man City, Borussia Monchengladbach and Anderlecht.

Probably agent chat, trying to increase what we're offering him on a new contract, or putting pressure on the club to offer him one....

I think he has promise, but he's certainly not standing out like, for example, Tino. Will be interesting to see where he is come May, and how much game time he's had for us.

Edited by Saint Garrett

There seems to be an expectation that all youngsters will develop into fantastic players as soon as they turn pro. Unfortunately it doesn’t work like that. As a club, Saints do give plenty of time to see if players fulfil their potential- perhaps sometimes the method isn’t right but certainly better than most clubs.  

On 16/11/2021 at 09:05, Roo1976 said:

So if the big boys are sniffing around to hoover up young talent,talent that we have (or asset) why doesn't he figure more for us?

It's an early in the pipeline acquisition. He isn't at a level to play for us or the big boys yet but they suspect in 3-4 years he will be a very fine player and they want those 3-4 years to be spent in their academy learning their style rather than staying with us and them having to pay through the nose post development.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’m sure i will get calls of saying i dont know what I’m talking about etc, but the times I have seen him play, nothing suggests he is going to be an outstanding player, or even PL level. He hasn’t had chances he wants int he first team as he isn’t yet good enough. 

I’m sure I will have these words pushed back where they came from, but are we missing much if he leaves?

Maybe others who have seen lots of games he has played in can let us know.

• 4 months later...
3 minutes ago, Dusic said:

On his way out this summer? Still no contract, had skippered the U23s but not even in the squad for tonight's game.

Could be injury/illness but clearly a reason for him not signing a new deal til now.

Injury. But likely to leave regardless unless things have changed 

1 minute ago, SuperSAINT said:

Injury. But likely to leave regardless unless things have changed 

Any idea why? Can only assume he feels he should have had more first team exposure?

Brave move...would be interesting to see where he ends up.

Edited by Dusic

48 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Any idea why? Can only assume he feels he should have had more first team exposure?

Brave move...would be interesting to see where he ends up.

Ditto the Jankewitz thing, I think.

I’d heard (not sure how true) he wanted to know if we would be signing (for example) a Chelsea or city equivalent who would further block his path.

On 25/04/2022 at 19:04, SuperSAINT said:

Ditto the Jankewitz thing, I think.

I’d heard (not sure how true) he wanted to know if we would be signing (for example) a Chelsea or city equivalent who would further block his path.

And the answer was in the affirmative…..?

6 hours ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

Pretty reasonably query tbf.

I agree. No point signing a long term deal, just to spend most of it frustrated or on various loan deals. If he backs himself and wants to play, then off he goes. Perhaps a clause in his development plan/ contract, could have have a release/ sale clause based on incoming pathway blockers.

• 3 weeks later...