Summer Transfer Window 2021

Dusic

4 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Wasn't there a transfer window recently where everyone said no I comings and then the club bought someone in anyway after that? 

Certainly remember Koeman saying "we are not signing a central defender" days before we signed Toby.

Who did we buy in Ralph's first summer? I think there was a surprise but I forget.

10 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

I think the point is we should have prioritised replacing our front line, clear number 1 choice CB with a first choice CB - like when we signed Van Dijk (£13m) or Lovren (£8m).

What we didn't need is to sign someone who has to "prove himself" to get ahead of Jack bloody Stephens.

Absolutely. Getting in a prospect that needs polishing to maybe replace one of the CB options in time is perfectly fine if you've got a decebt first choice defensive pairing. We don't have that and let's not forget our defence was absolutely appaling last season and we've already conceded six in our first three games. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

We needed to sign a CB that would improve us, not a backup to Stephens. Stephens is not an improvement on Vestergaard therefore our central defensive positions are overall weaker than last year. The signing of Lyanco is of pivotal importance to our season and assuming we don't sign anyone for defensive midfield it's probably our most vital area of the pitch that may be the difference between survival and relegation. 

I am pretty confident, from what I have already seen this season, that Salisu will go on to be better than Vestergaard ever was for us.

Stephens showed in the second half of 2016/17 and after the restart in 19/20 that if you give him a run of games he is capable of performing adequately for our level. He's not perfect, but at least he is a known quantity. He and Bednarek are much of a muchness, in that they have some strengths but will also make occasional costly mistakes.

Lyanco is the unknown quantity here. He could turn out to be an absolute beast, or he could be a flop.

Overall, I don't think we are significantly weaker at CB than we were last season. But then I don't think we are any stronger either.

• Like 3

Newcastle have signed a mexican kid called Santiago Munoz which is the same name as the character from the Goal! movies (about a mexican kid who signs for Newcastle).

Bit mental but I like it. Its like Jedi FC signing Luke Skywalker or something.

19 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

I am pretty confident, from what I have already seen this season, that Salisu will go on to be better than Vestergaard ever was for us.

Stephens showed in the second half of 2016/17 and after the restart in 19/20 that if you give him a run of games he is capable of performing adequately for our level. He's not perfect, but at least he is a known quantity. He and Bednarek are much of a muchness, in that they have some strengths but will also make occasional costly mistakes.

Lyanco is the unknown quantity here. He could turn out to be an absolute beast, or he could be a flop.

Overall, I don't think we are significantly weaker at CB than we were last season. But then I don't think we are any stronger either.

Is vestergaard stronger than Stephens? If the answer is yes which it obviously is then I'm not sure how you can argue we aren't weaker given the public statements about Lyanco. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

Couple of helicopters hovering just north west of Southampton, so would likely be from the South West or Wales.  Safe to assume the late capture of Jefferson Lerma!

image.png.2a59cd9a1512c6b3bd19d7b81ff3eaab.png

Now this is the kinda of conspiracy I love reading :D

5 minutes ago, adriansfc said:

It seems better than last season, although I feel sorry for all the centre backs having the league's most indecisive ghost of a goalkeeper behind them. 

But our CB strategy is a long way from what it was. We come up and sign Yoshida to play with Fonte, who both do alright. Then sign Lovren to come in and improve it, which he does. He leaves, so we bring in Alderweireld to improve it, which it really does. He goes and we sign Van Dijk.

We seemed to have a plan, wanted a first choice pairing and benefitted from those partnerships working so well. Now it seems we'll have a lot of rotation there, prospects and not good enough try hards like Stephens. Signing too many players as backup and competition is such a dangerous step towards mediocrity. 

Exactly. Signing some youngsters and good prospects with a lot of potential or rough diamonds is a great strategy and one I fully support but it has to be supplemented with quality starters to allow these signings the time and opportunity to develop. No one is going to convince me that Stephens as a starting centre back most weeks is going to lead to a solid and steady defence. My evidence for this is enhanced by the fact we have already conceded six goals in three league games despite some promising performances. 

Edited by hypochondriac

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

Is vestergaard stronger than Stephens? If the answer is yes which it obviously is then I'm not sure how you can argue we aren't weaker given the public statements about Lyanco. 

Is it? I'm not so sure on that. JV had a purple patch at the start of last season but he's horribly limited and was badly at fault for quite a few goals last season. He has a total lack of pace and a strange inability to win aerial duels despite his height advantage. Stephens, isn't a great header of the ball either but is at least more mobile than JV will ever be.

I don't think we are any weaker because Salisu wasn't ready for the first team last season, and only played a bit part towards then end of it. If he makes the step up to first choice starter and is an improvement on JV (which he already looks to be on the evidence so far), then even if Lyanco takes time to settle, as Salisu did last season, then we are no weaker than we were.

If Lyanco turns out to be the player we all hope he is, and Salisu continues to impress, then we will be in a stronger position than we were for last season.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, nta786 said:

Now this is the kinda of conspiracy I love reading :D

Yep! Except Flightradar24 shows aircraft tracks and it's easy to check where they've come from. Sloppy work Jeremy! :-)

Mind you, I know a two seater helicopter without the tracking equipment, just a squawk for ATC, so that would be the best bet. Or back to the ol' superyachts in the Solent..

'Apparently' Weston McKinnie has been offered out to clubs, Burnley one of the clubs in particular.

It will be a loan deal. Ticks a lot of boxes for us.  1) we were interested before, 2) it's a loan....3) it's a midfielder 4) if Burnley can potentially afford it...

If Burnley get him on loan and we don't then that would be a bit perplexing. Could be one of those classic twitterphere non-rumours though.

Edited by S-Clarke

2 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Is it? I'm not so sure on that. JV had a purple patch at the start of last season but he's horribly limited and was badly at fault for quite a few goals last season. He has a total lack of pace and a strange inability to win aerial duels despite his height advantage. Stephens, isn't a great header of the ball either but is at least more mobile than JV will ever be.

I don't think we are any weaker because Salisu wasn't ready for the first team last season, and only played a bit part towards then end of it. If he makes the step up to first choice starter and is an improvement on JV (which he already looks to be on the evidence so far), then even if Lyanco takes time to settle, as Salisu did last season, then we are no weaker than we were.

If Lyanco turns out to be the player we all hope he is, and Salisu continues to impress, then we will be in a stronger position than we were for last season.

I didn't say vestergaard was particularly good, simply that he is demonstrably better than Stephens which he clearly is to anyone with eyes and a working brain. Anyone can nit pick about an attribute where Stephens may be better but he's clearly an inferior centre back based on performances alone. If it true that we have brought in Lyanco as a backup option to the first team in order to learn his trade then that's a real folly that we may come to regret come the end of the season. Its vital that our central defence was improved significantly on the dire performance from last year and even if Salisu has improved, overall there's no evidence so far that it's better. We could look back on this with real regret. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

'Apparently' Weston McKinnie has been offered out to clubs, Burnley one of the clubs in particular.

It will be a loan deal. Ticks a lot of boxes for us.  1) we were interested before, 2) it's a loan....3) it's a midfielder 4) if Burnley can potentially afford it...

If Burnley get him on loan and we don't then that would be a bit perplexing. Could be one of those classic twitterphere non-rumours though.

They've been trying to get rid of him for weeks....not 100% sure why. I thought he was doing ok at Juve.

6 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Errrmmm...

image.png.a451312a5570a920b3d02a389ccd880e.png

image.png.8273855fe312a67000d18ef39ff1a3dd.png

Flying out of Milan.  Timing makes sense.

image.png

Edited by Jeremy Corbyn
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Yeah, I agree.  JV was good for pinging long diagonals but for most of his time with us was not that great defensively - I think Salisu is much better in that regard.  For a lot of the back half of last season we were missing at least one of our fullbacks and playing people out of position to cover.  We've addressed that now and personally think that was more important.  Also think that a lot of our defensive problems aren't necessarily because of the personnel - our shape is all out attack and we leave ourselves too open.  We could probably improve the players but I'm not sure it would make that much difference.  Overall pretty happy with the window - we've given ourselves options and have at least one great prospect (Livramento) and hopefully Small has a similar impact at some stage.  Adam Armstrong looks to be a decent replacement for Ings.  The only thing I could question would be Walcott.

40 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I posted about him hinting he was about come to the premier League on his insta when he was saying bye to Ronaldo. 
I instantly thought it could be us. 
I would be chuffed if it  was manageable for us to get him in. 
For me,besides a keeper,it would be some outstanding business this window. 
he would be wasted at Burnley. 

Edited by saint lard

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

No I expected us to get in someone to play alongside Salisu obviously. 

So a Bednarek or Stephens replacement. Completely unrealistic. As the club have said, Salisu replaces Vestergaard in the team, and Lyanco has replaced Salisu in the squad.

• Like 3

Kamara or McKennie in on loan would make this a 9/10 window for me (can't be 10/10 with these two keepers even though I understand why we can't add another).

A lack of DM coming in would leave a slightly sour taste in my mouth as we're so weak if any of the three we have get injured, and I still don't think Romeu is starting quality any more.

Just now, Saint Matty 76 said:

Kamara or McKennie in on loan would make this a 9/10 window for me (can't be 10/10 with these two keepers even though I understand why we can't add another).

A lack of DM coming in would leave a slightly sour taste in my mouth as we're so weak if any of the three we have get injured, and I still don't think Romeu is starting quality any more.

Same here. I guess the issue is getting a starter on our budget is difficult, and getting someone half decent willing to be 4th pick equally so. 

Just now, egg said:

Same here. I guess the issue is getting a starter on our budget is difficult, and getting someone half decent willing to be 4th pick equally so. 

Teams are seeming increasingly willing to do a loan > obligation this window, so you'd like to think the opportunity is there. Especially if we've just pulled in £2/3m for Obafemi.

2 minutes ago, egg said:

If we're just about to pocket £5m from Obafemi, that may give us a little to play with in terms of a loan fee.

Just now, S-Clarke said:

If we're just about to pocket £5m from Obafemi, that may give us a little to play with in terms of a loan fee.

Hopefully so. We need more bodies, and quality, in CM. Instinct is that we'll do something. 

1 hour ago, CB Fry said:

I think the point is we should have prioritised replacing our front line, clear number 1 choice CB with a first choice CB - like when we signed Van Dijk (£13m) or Lovren (£8m).

What we didn't need is to sign someone who has to "prove himself" to get ahead of Jack bloody Stephens.

I get it, but it's not what we do.  I'd have liked Saints to sign a CB better than Vestergaard to partner Salisu, but our strategy is generally to promote from within and buy replacements who have to prove themselves.  IMO in the CB rankings Salisu has been promoted to replace Vestergaard, Stephens and Bendarek are in the same places in the rankings as they were last season and Lyanco is probably bottom of the pile at the moment.  If he  proves to be better than Stephens or Bednarek then he moves up the ranking.

We might be better at CB overall if Salisu can be better than Vestergaard.  I reckon that's possible over the whole season.

15 minutes ago, egg said:

So a Bednarek or Stephens replacement. Completely unrealistic. As the club have said, Salisu replaces Vestergaard in the team, and Lyanco has replaced Salisu in the squad.

Absolutely laughable that you'd consider an upgrade on Stephens as completely unrealistic for the team who had the second worst defence in the league last year. Its not unrealistic and wouldn't be difficult to get an upgrade in Stephens. We've clearly made a choice. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

Absolutely laughable that you'd consider an upgrade on Stephens as completely unrealistic for the team who had the second worst defence in the league last year. Its not unrealistic and wouldn't be difficult to get an upgrade in Stephens. We've clearly made a choice. 

Well, assuming we've spent all the money we had available then who would you not have signed?  Obviously not Lyanco so that gives you 6M and I'd assume not Walcott which would give you some wages.  That still doesn't give you a lot of money to play with so presumably you wouldn't have signed at least one of Perraud or Livramento?

10 minutes ago, Alanh said:

I get it, but it's not what we do.  I'd have liked Saints to sign a CB better than Vestergaard to partner Salisu, but our strategy is generally to promote from within and buy replacements who have to prove themselves.  IMO in the CB rankings Salisu has been promoted to replace Vestergaard, Stephens and Bendarek are in the same places in the rankings as they were last season and Lyanco is probably bottom of the pile at the moment.  If he  proves to be better than Stephens or Bednarek then he moves up the ranking.

We might be better at CB overall if Salisu can be better than Vestergaard.  I reckon that's possible over the whole season.

It's not what we do? So peraud was someone we promoted from within? Kwp? Armstrong? 

3 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

Well, assuming we've spent all the money we had available then who would you not have signed?  Obviously not Lyanco so that gives you 6M and I'd assume not Walcott which would give you some wages.  That still doesn't give you a lot of money to play with so presumably you wouldn't have signed at least one of Perraud or Livramento?

I highly doubt that 6 million was our limit. Let's not rewrite history and pretend that Lyanco was literally our only option. No one on the forum knew who he was a couple of weeks ago. 

• Like 4