Summer Transfer Window 2021

Dusic

Personally, I'm glad some of our regulars moved on and were replaced. I think the squad was looking stale, at least as far as the first team regulars were concerned. If you look at the core of last year's team; Forster/McC, Bertrand, Stephens, Bednarek, Vest, Romeu, JWP, Redmond and Ings have all been here three years plus. Some of them 7 or 8.

Man City have just left their all time top scorer go, when many were saying give him another contract. Instead they brought in a £100m player many feel they didn't really need. United got rid of Stam, Sharpe, Cantona, Yorke, Cole and Beckham and kept winning things.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

The last time we had an experiment to intentionally play a team of young prospects it didn't end that well. 

I was unconvinced by last summers window despite universal acclaim on here about what great signings Diallo and Salisu were: they proceeded to do pretty much jack shit in the subsequent season. Maybe, one year on, they may step up. 

This summer, we look like we have replaced Ings well, and Livramento may be an absolute diamond.

But I am not convinced we have resolved our issues in goal and through the spine of the team, especially central defence. This is as well as our issues with resilience/mental toughness. Both could have been resolved by spending our significant cash reserves on a decent front line CB. Instead we have just swelled the ranks of middling interchangeable CBs who are okay bordering on disastrous.

I worry we are just a pound-shop version of late-period Wenger Arsenal. Lots of flattering to deceive prettiness and "faith" in gifted young players. But ultimately gutless losers when the pressure is on.

Today will be a useful test.

Good post, I share your fears as well in terms of the youthful focus, which like you say aren't going to fix any of the experience/mental issues we face. But It's probably the only way we can go at the moment, it's still a huge gamble but somewhat exciting. It's a sink or swim season really.

I think the club have been brave but time will tell if they've been daft. I'd say this is the ultimate test for Ralph as well, isn't it something like 8 new additions? Much bigger squad in certain areas and lots of players to develop, which he prides himself on....so this is up his street now, I hope and expect to see him in his fore.

21 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

The last time we had an experiment to intentionally play a team of young prospects it didn't end that well. 

Signing Chelsea's academy player of the season and signing Everton's youngest ever player who they desperately wanted to keep is a bit different to having Lloyd James and Simon Gillet trying to keep us up in the Championship.

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Good post, I share your fears as well in terms of the youthful focus, which like you say aren't going to fix any of the experience/mental issues we face. But It's probably the only way we can go at the moment, it's still a huge gamble but somewhat exciting. It's a sink or swim season really.

I think the club have been brave but time will tell if they've been daft. I'd say this is the ultimate test for Ralph as well, isn't it something like 8 new additions? Much bigger squad in certain areas and lots of players to develop, which he prides himself on....so this is up his street now, I hope and expect to see him in his fore.

Yep..."You can't win anything with kids"....

2 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Signing Chelsea's academy player of the season and signing Everton's youngest ever player who the desperately wanted to keep is a bit different to having Lloyd James and Simon Gillet trying to keep us up in the Championship.

Have to agree. This is a very different investment in youth than the days of Wotte and the other bloke whose name started with P.    This is not a Rupert Lowe sideshow.   Might be a tough season but Livramento, Broja, Small are all genuinely talented.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Signing Chelsea's academy player of the season and signing Everton's youngest ever player who the desperately wanted to keep is a bit different to having Lloyd James and Simon Gillet trying to keep us up in the Championship.

We also had Surman, Dyer, Schneiderlin and Lallana.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Staying in the Premier League is a bit different than finishing above the likes of Barnsley/Plymouth/Doncaster/Blackpool in the Championship.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Staying in the Premier League is a bit different than finishing above the likes of Barnsley/Plymouth/Doncaster/Blackpool in the Championship.

Currently only one teenager in our starting line-up. He isn't remotely out of place in the Premier League. He just had a man of the match performance in a draw vs Man Utd.

Certainly beats this... http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_1/7815964.stm

14 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Currently only one teenager in our starting line-up. He isn't remotely out of place in the Premier League. He just had a man of the match performance in a draw vs Man Utd.

Certainly beats this... http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_1/7815964.stm

You're comparing a season that has happened with one that has barely started. 

I was at the 1-0 win at Derby that season (basically the equivalent weekend to this) and people were buzzing that that team could do well.

The concept is the same - let's go with kids, for financial reasons, and let's hope its enough. Execution is slightly different as different league different budget.

Anyway I have no interest whatsoever in debating anything with you being that we will be no more than two posts away from your usual routine of your "I never said that I never said that I never said that I never said that" denials whenever anyone tries to (perfectly accurately) paraphrase anything you say. I can't be bothered with your horseshit again.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 4
  • Confused 2

4 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

Grim days them...

Yeah not great but this is one of my fondest away days: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_1/7565074.stm

Svensson and the kids playing a team off the park - was never going to end well over the course of a season but very satisfying to see our youth players do so well and have so many of them in the team.

56 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

I was unconvinced by last summers window despite universal acclaim on here about what great signings Diallo and Salisu were: they proceeded to do pretty much jack shit in the subsequent season. Maybe, one year on, they may step up. 

This summer, we look like we have replaced Ings well, and Livramento may be an absolute diamond.

But I am not convinced we have resolved our issues in goal and through the spine of the team, especially central defence. This is as well as our issues with resilience/mental toughness. Both could have been resolved by spending our significant cash reserves on a decent front line CB. Instead we have just swelled the ranks of middling interchangeable CBs who are okay bordering on disastrous.

I worry we are just a pound-shop version of late-period Wenger Arsenal. Lots of flattering to deceive prettiness and "faith" in gifted young players. But ultimately gutless losers when the pressure is on.

Today will be a useful test.

Reasonable concerns but I think circumstances largely dictate the policy. We all know the financial realities of the club and how hampered we have been with some poor recruitment/management.

The policy does come with clear risk but there is also a fair chance it may bear fruit. We've also managed to keep some experience in the side and even Lord D has recently been impressed with Stephens showing some 'grit'.

I share the concerns about the CB situation and would have felt more comfortable is we had signed somebody with more obvious pedigree but that aside I'm largely comfortable with the type of signings we have made recently and can't see what our genuine alternative pathway would have been.

As you say today, and the coming weeks, will be a good test of our credentials. Our record at St James is woeful but St Max aside I don't really fear Newcastle.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

Maitland-Niles would be a decent signing.  Arsenal want to sell.

I think we'll see a lot of opportunities crop up now, opportunities we didn't' think were possible a month or so ago. Clubs have to trim their squads, register the final squads etc, so there will inevitably be movement - just got to hope we're all over it in terms of the 'midfield' options.

6 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I think we'll see a lot of opportunities crop up now, opportunities we didn't' think were possible a month or so ago. Clubs have to trim their squads, register the final squads etc, so there will inevitably be movement - just got to hope we're all over it in terms of the 'midfield' options.

Quite. Think we've done well to get much of the 'core' business done before the daftest period of the window. And hey, if a too-good-to-miss opportunity crops up now...

3 hours ago, egg said:

Am I alone on thinking that SKDman is an alt login of another prominent poster? Similarities are uncanny for me. 

I’m not from Glasgow/Kenya/ a big fan of breaking bad, if that’s what you’re getting it. Southampton (well just slightly north) born, bred and still living. 

I am a genuine fan (not just on a wind up), probably more so than most on this site in terms of actually travelling to watch games (I keep all my ticket stubs/old season tickets so happy to prove 😉), just maybe more pessimistic than most on here. 

As for the well ran club comment, it was more in relation to previous years, people have been peddling the well ran, net spend champions, sustainable club as some kind of achievement. Using cases like Pompey if we dare to spend more than we make in player sales. 

I do agree that the current board are running us as well as they possibly can, but are obviously working with their hands behind their back with Gao’ slack of investment. 

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, UpweySaint said:

Reasonable concerns but I think circumstances largely dictate the policy. We all know the financial realities of the club and how hampered we have been with some poor recruitment/management.

The policy does come with clear risk but there is also a fair chance it may bear fruit. We've also managed to keep some experience in the side and even Lord D has recently been impressed with Stephens showing some 'grit'.

I share the concerns about the CB situation and would have felt more comfortable is we had signed somebody with more obvious pedigree but that aside I'm largely comfortable with the type of signings we have made recently and can't see what our genuine alternative pathway would have been.

As you say today, and the coming weeks, will be a good test of our credentials. Our record at St James is woeful but St Max aside I don't really fear Newcastle.

I think that had we got in some experience at the back to marshall the defence that many of the concerns would disappear. If Lyanco isn't the answer then I'm very concerned that we are even weaker in central defence than we were last year and we were already very poor there last season. I think to a large degree the success or otherwise of our season will hinge on the success of Lyanco and how adaptable Ralph is. The latter showed some good signs last week and the former is yet to be seen. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

No it isn't! There is one teenager in our starting line-up today. An exceptional one at that.

14 minutes ago, niceandfriendly said:

How many kids are in our starting line up? One?

I thought this was thread about our transfer business this summer.

You two don't think we have consciously prioritised high-potential young players in our business this summer, then? Fair enough, I think we have and there's been articles and plenty of comments about it. Shame you don't agree.

Edited by CB Fry

1 minute ago, CB Fry said:

You two don't think we have consciously prioritised high-potential young players in our business this summer, then? Fair enough, I think we have and there's been articles and plenty of comments about it. Shame you don't agree.

We have gone for younger players this summer, but they aren't in the starting line-up. Broja and Small for example are back-up players.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Matthew Le God said:

We have gone for younger players this summer, but they aren't in the starting line-up. Broja and Small for example are back-up players.

So a conscious decision to focus on high potential youth rather than experienced players for the first team. A conscious decision, a conscious strategy, a conscious concept. Glad you agree then.

• Confused 2

34 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Apologies I thought you meant we have gone with the strategy of playing only kids in the first team, I misread. Yes we have bought some very talented young players which most of us at least are delighted about because these youngsters look brilliant.

We also signed Perraud, Lyanco, Armstrong and Walcott. They aren't kids as far as I know, so clearly we aren't just "only going with kids".

32 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

So a conscious decision to focus on high potential youth rather than experienced players for the first team. A conscious decision, a conscious strategy, a conscious concept. Glad you agree then.

22 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Wasting your time 

Perraud 23 years old 

Lyanco 24 years old 

Walcott 32 years old

Armstrong 24 years old

Isn't simply going solely for 'kids'.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Goalkeeper essential

1 hour ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Buy a GK.

Buy a CM.

We'll improve significantly.

Very few will disagree with that, but realistically, and from what has been said, it isn't going to happen. Be delighted to be surprised though.

For CM I assume you're looking at a DM, ("No 6" as seems to be called).

Edited by Badger

9 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

Reckon we’ll get a midfielder in.

I agree with you too,

We played well second half vs Manchester United when he put the extra midfielder in.

I just think if we had a good ball winner this would give us a better option.

26 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

I agree with you too,

We played well second half vs Manchester United when he put the extra midfielder in.

I just think if we had a good ball winner this would give us a better option.

Whoever we sign isnt going to be a starting player I wouldn't have thought.

Besides, isn't Romeu statistically one of the best ball winners in the PL?

I think we are more lacking a creative passer in that area than a ball winner.

Nixon saying we want Sheff Utd striker Jebbison: https://the72.co.uk/248620/sheffield-united-youngster-a-target-for-premier-league-side-southampton-fee-mentioned/

18 year old striker.  On the surface of it, you’d think we don’t need it, but we’re going to lose 3 at the end of the season.

Edited by SuperSAINT
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Nixon saying we want Sheff Utd striker Jebbison: https://the72.co.uk/248620/sheffield-united-youngster-a-target-for-premier-league-side-southampton-fee-mentioned/

18 year old striker.  On the surface of it, you’d think we don’t need it, but we’re going to lose 3 at the end of the season.

Recall watching him in a Blades game last season, and he showed up well and put himself about a lot.

Not every 18 years starlet makes the grade at Prem-level, but hopefully (if signed) he may progress later on.

Our current " B team"  is in dire need of goalscorers, as the majority of that squad are last season's U18's who 

have moved up and suddenly find it hard to adapt to the higher level. 

On 28/08/2021 at 09:19, egg said:

Am I alone on thinking that SKDman is an alt login of another prominent poster? Similarities are uncanny for me. 

Really? I can’t see any similarities at all completely different posting styles with it being pure coincidence that one turns up a few days after the other stops posting 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

Really? I can’t see any similarities at all completely different posting styles with it being pure coincidence that one turns up a few days after the other stops posting 

I'm not talking about Dman being the reincarnation of SKD - that they're one and the same is obvious. 

• Like 1

Southampton are considering a late, cut-price move for 26-year-old Scotland international centre-back Jack Hendry; it is believed that a deal could be struck with Belgian side Oostende for around £4million #saintsfc [mail]

I guess we MIGHT be. But hmm

6 minutes ago, SFC Forever said:

Just read the Jack Wilshire article in the Athletic. Training alone and hungry for a chance to play. Is he worth a shot for us?

Training alone because Bournemouth didn’t offer him a contract in the Championship. I’ll pass thanks.

1 minute ago, HarvSFC said:

That's his level now.

He'd be daft to pass that one up, could be a good opportunity for him. He needs to take his blinkers off and stop aiming for the 'top', his top level career is done and is in the bin.

It's a shame as he obviously had a lot of talent, but he didn't look after himself well enough and the injuries are just chronic. If he wants to play then clubs like Wigan are probably a fair shout.

• Like 1