Summer Transfer Window 2021

Dusic

3 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Are you suggesting Saints should sign him?

On tbe basis we do not bring another CM in, I'd be quite happy with him added to the squad as opposed to what it is now, as long as it was some sort of pay as you train/play deal. 

• Confused 2

3 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Am i the only one laughing at the no offers stuff. I'm assuming that's no offers at his ridiculous expectation and wage level.

Exactly im sure if he asked for 10k a week or so then he would have plenty of offers especially if he has been injury free. 1 year deal, he has a great season then he can ask for more next time.

• Like 1

The bloke took his career for granted. Never took football seriously, smoked all the time, etc

Assumed he'd always have a good career because he was talked up when he was young. Not a 10, not a DM not a wide player, and rarely fit enough to stick enough games together. And then gets involved with this article....I'm sure if he was that interested in playing he could have gone to Derby when they had 7 players or whatever it was a few weeks ago.

I don't have a lot of sympathy for him tbh. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

The bloke took his career for granted. Never took football seriously, smoked all the time, etc

Assumed he'd always have a good career because he was talked up when he was young. Not a 10, not a DM not a wide player, and rarely fit enough to stick enough games together. And then gets involved with this article....I'm sure if he was that interested in playing he could have gone to Derby when they had 7 players or whatever it was a few weeks ago.

I reckon if he dropped his demands enough even Palace would have given him a shot considering they released almost everyone. 

We have no money for transfers and currently have only 3 CM players which is less than teams have for a 3 week Summer tournament much less an entire PL season so we need one more CM player in the squad.  If wages could be agreed then I wouldn't have an issue if JW was signed.  We won't get much better in the bargain bins we are looking at unless Chelsea have an embryo they might loan us?

35 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Exactly my thoughts if he wanted to stay in championship and not drop down league. Can't see them having turned him down if he was fit and had sane expectations.

2 minutes ago, once_bitterne said:

We have no money for transfers and currently have only 3 CM players which is less than teams have for a 3 week Summer tournament much less an entire PL season so we need one more CM player in the squad.  If wages could be agreed then I wouldn't have an issue if JW was signed.  We won't get much better in the bargain bins we are looking at unless Chelsea have an embryo they might loan us?

Smallbone is a centre-mid and Armstrong is a centre-mid.  Supposedly also Lyanco has played DM. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, once_bitterne said:

Saints can not loan another Chelsea player. The rules only allow one loan from another PL team at a time and Saints already have Broja.

Saints also have Armstrong who can play in central midfield, with lots of alternatives to him not being in the AM role. Plus Smallbone will be back at some point soon.

Edited by Matthew Le God

7 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Saints can not loan another Chelsea player. The rules only allow one loan from another PL team at a time and Saints already have Broja.

Saints also have Armstrong who can play in central midfield, with lots of alternatives to him not being in the AM role. Plus Smallbone will be back at some point soon.

Could do the same sort of buy back deal as with Livramento though? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Saint Garrett said:

Smoking wasn't the only thing he put in his body that he shouldn't, One of the reasons he was farmed out on loan to Bournemouth (Same with Clyne).

4 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

think that is us done surely

I think we will "keep our eyes open" as Ralph likes to say. But I think that is it for our planned for transfers. If a great player becomes available near the end at a great deal we have a little bit set aside now to act.

Just now, Billy the Kidd said:

I see Sam Johnstone isn’t playing tonight.

Well, one can hope, cant he…

It's not unknown for West Brom to loan their first team players to PL clubs, who then sign them the following year. Depends how desperate they are really, but I still don't think we could realistically handle 3 goalies on the wages they'd be on.

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

It's not unknown for West Brom to loan their first team players to PL clubs, who then sign them the following year. Depends how desperate they are really, but I still don't think we could realistically handle 3 goalies on the wages they'd be on.

Yeah, not sure they would loan him, being in the final year of his contract, although not beyond the realms of possibilities.

I’m still hoping something will happen with a keeper, but I’m pretty content with the summer window, our best one for quite a while.

7 minutes ago, Uncle Albert said:

Very happy just amazed we haven’t got a new keeper.

Yes pretty good window overall - best for a while:

Positives;

Good money for Ings and reasonable for Jannik

Got rid of Lemina, Gunn and Hoedt

Armstrong looks like a decent striker for reasonable money

Tino looks a steal 

We now have at least 2 players for each position - v important

Negatives

Could maybe have got a new keeper and got rid of Forster / McCarthy

Would have been good to have a Romeu replacement

We signed Walcott

Edited by Sir Ralph
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Sir Ralph said:

Yes pretty good window overall - best for a while:

Positives;

Good money for Ings and reasonable for Jannik

Got rid of Lemina, Gunn and Hoedt

Armstrong looks like a decent striker for reasonable money

Tino looks a steal 

We now have at least 2 players for each position - v important

Negatives

Could maybe have got a new keeper and got rid of Forster / McCarthy

Would have been good to have a Romeu replacement

We signed Walcott

If you buy into the view that we have spent all the money we have available, then Walcott for free and Lyanco to cover for centre back and Romeu was about as good as we could do 

No. We haven't really addressed two of our biggest problems, cover for DM (Romeu) and Goalkeeper. Everything else is fine (would have been happier to see Redmond and Long go but there you go). Maybe Lyanco can cover Romeu, but then he's not available for CB so it's not really a solution.

On 25/08/2021 at 14:48, Matthew Le God said:

But Armstrong is not a CM player and is not very good there.  That's why we don't tend to win games when he plays there.  Likewise not sure that CM is Smallbone's best position, his best game for us was the one he was injured in where he was playing in a more advanced role.

So, as I said, going into a season with only 3 CM players is a bit of a gamble and it means that JWP ends up playing against the likes of Newport which is fine until he picks up a 10 game injury doing this.

Thanks for your through explanation of the PL loan rule.  My bit about signing an embryo from Chelsea was actually a joke (strictly speaking embryos aren't able to play football so it would not have been a viable option).

You seem to struggle with humour a bit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, once_bitterne said:

But Armstrong is not a CM player and is not very good there.  That's why we don't tend to win games when he plays there.  Likewise not sure that CM is Smallbone's best position, his best game for us was the one he was injured in where he was playing in a more advanced role.

So, as I said, going into a season with only 3 CM players is a bit of a gamble and it means that JWP ends up playing against the likes of Newport which is fine until he picks up a 10 game injury doing this.

Thanks for your through explanation of the PL loan rule.  My bit about signing an embryo from Chelsea was actually a joke (strictly speaking embryos aren't able to play football so it would not have been a viable option).

You seem to struggle with humour a bit.

I think Armstrong is pretty good at CM and makes us a much more exciting side through the middle.  The problem is playing in a 2, he's too attacking and we get overrun, he'd be great in a 3.