Summer Transfer Window 2021

Dusic

7 hours ago, Pilchards said:

Don’t shoot the messenger but I heard Ronaldo was offered to all teams in the EPL and we turned down the offer.

I can only guess it was for financial reasons or perhaps we didn’t need a striker.

According to Sky, Man City are interested. He is only demanding £500k/week.

7 hours ago, Pilchards said:

Don’t shoot the messenger but I heard Ronaldo was offered to all teams in the EPL and we turned down the offer.

I can only guess it was for financial reasons or perhaps we didn’t need a striker.

Ha! That said, imagine if we weren't wasting £200k + PW on Forster, Theo and Long...could have thrown that money at something pretty decent on a loan or free. 

• Like 2

I wouldn't underestimate how important Walcot is in the dressing room. Youngsters need guidance and he'll be providing that. He also has the capacity to have a good game still.

As Egg says Forster and Long don't offer the same value. Just need to put up with it until next year.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, macca155 said:

I wouldn't underestimate how important Walcot is in the dressing room. Youngsters need guidance and he'll be providing that. He also has the capacity to have a good game still.

As Egg says Forster and Long don't offer the same value. Just need to put up with it until next year.

Out of curiosity, where does this come from? What can he offer in the changing room that someone like Kelvin Davis, for example, can't give? Personally I don't get the argument for paying £7m + over 2 years for someone to be a motivator and bit part player when motivation should be a job for the coaching staff. 

17 minutes ago, macca155 said:

How do you know that Walcott is significantly better than Long in motivating/encouraging/supporting the young players? Why wouldn't/doesn't Long do that as well?

Either way it's a pretty nebulous reason to give a player 2 years on seventy odd grand a week.

2 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

How do you know that Walcott is significantly better than Long in motivating/encouraging/supporting the young players? Why wouldn't/doesn't Long do that as well?

Either way it's a pretty nebulous reason to give a player 2 years on seventy odd grand a week.

I originally typed the same question, but altered it to Kelvin as he's already here. Theo surely was never signed as Mr Motivator. 

41 minutes ago, egg said:

Ha! That said, imagine if we weren't wasting £200k + PW on Forster, Theo and Long...could have thrown that money at something pretty decent on a loan or free. 

Scary isn’t it £10m a year on players who will contribute hardly anything this season. 

• Sad 1

48 minutes ago, beavis17 said:

Won the best player (Golden Ball Award) in the Under 20 World Cup in 2019 so probably on the scouting lists of most clubs but suspect that's where Crocker knows about him.  Seems a decent player but probably more of a 10.  Anyway, other notable winners of the golden ball award have been Maradona, Messi, Aguero, Pogba, Adama Traore and erm.....Dominic Solanke.  Mostly good company then.

He was touted as a bit of a wonder kid, I think he came through their academy.

Valencia have turned into a bit of a crazy club though. Firing managers every year, huge player turnovers and they've now announced enormous losses in the 400m euro mark I think. Apparently this lad is frustrated because he doesn't get to play enough. Only 20, stacks of potential.

And a huge, huge marketing opportunity.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

A Korean international 20 year old who has been highly rated and has top flight experience in La Ligs, ON A FREE, seems a no-brainer to me, come on Saints do it, sell the stepping stone young players etc. etc. line. 

He has an extremely highly PA on FM 

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, egg said:

Out of curiosity, where does this come from? What can he offer in the changing room that someone like Kelvin Davis, for example, can't give? Personally I don't get the argument for paying £7m + over 2 years for someone to be a motivator and bit part player when motivation should be a job for the coaching staff. 

Well obviously don't know for sure, so just an opinion.

I base it on the fact that Walcot is an experienced international, has played at the highest level. He comes across as a good pro. That is important when you have an inexperienced squad. I'd prefer a Jimmy Case type but the club simply cannot attract those players at the moment.

KD good for morale maybe, but he struggled to maintain form consistent enough for the Premier league.

Worth 7 million I'm not sure. I guess time will tell.

4 hours ago, CB Fry said:

Just an opinion. Not meant to be controversial.

Walcot is an experienced international and Prem player. He doesn't come across as a Billy big bollocks and hopefully can guide the youngsters we have packed our side with.

Long has the same attributes but is a busted flush on the pitch now.

However Theo has to offer something on the pitch as well.

4 hours ago, egg said:

I wouldn't have given him such a salary either, but a players value/worth can really be worked out by transfer fee paid plus salary over length of contract. Theo came on a free. Would you feel better about it if we paid a £3.5m transfer fee for him and gave him half as much in wages? 

I also agree that he isn't exactly the player he once was, but I do still feel it is useful to have him in our squad. He scored 3 and got 3 assists in the league last season, and I am pretty sure got an assist or two in the cups. Loads of people would be creaming themselves if we had signed Loftus-Cheek (which would likely cost £17-20m and around 80/90kpw in wages) yet he only managed 1 goal and zero assists last season..... 

Not comparing Theo to him but - look at how much PSG are paying Messi, and a raft of other free transfers they have brought in this summer, do you think they would be paying him/them such salaries if they had to have forked out a suitable transfer fee as well?

Sometimes I think some people just want to find something to moan/complain about. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

I think you watch different games to the rest of us. Sure we'd prefer him in the 'number 10 role', but he has done a good job filling in in the 'number 6' role.

Could you supply the WLD record of games he has started as a number 6?  I'm sure it must be 'good'.

5 hours ago, Turkish said:

Scary isn’t it £10m a year on players who will contribute hardly anything this season. 

If you went through all the clubs squads, I wonder how many players would be regarded as `non contributors' and what the total cost/wasted monies spent would be. 

Edited by Chez

I think Walcott was a fairly low risk comfort blanket signing. He did ok for us last year, he clearly is respected and works hard in training so can help the younger players a bit and seems from the videos and stuff to be well respected by his teammates. 

We didn't know how the window would go, we probably had targets but pretty much all of them Armstrong, Lyanco, Tino, Small, etc. have had other clubs as strong suitors and we didn't know what would happen with Ings and Vestergaard. But we clearly knew we needed bodies and more squad depth, so being able to get him to sign back in June or whatever was a safe move.

Yeh sure with hindsight and how the window has gone, with potentially more opportunities opening up for a late deal by the looks of things, his signing looks a little unneeded, but back in May/June I think it makes sense. 

5 hours ago, Turkish said:

And yet people still bang on about how well we are ran as a club.

So well ran, we have to downgrade on every position we sell and can’t afford to add quality to a vital area for us (GK). 

1 hour ago, InvictaSaint said:

What are your stats?

I remember doing it 8 times in an afternoon but I got a real bad headache. On the other hand I thought Gaston Ramirez might come good in time and I got that one wrong.

Edited by Mystic Force
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

I think Walcott was a fairly low risk comfort blanket signing. He did ok for us last year, he clearly is respected and works hard in training so can help the younger players a bit and seems from the videos and stuff to be well respected by his teammates. 

We didn't know how the window would go, we probably had targets but pretty much all of them Armstrong, Lyanco, Tino, Small, etc. have had other clubs as strong suitors and we didn't know what would happen with Ings and Vestergaard. But we clearly knew we needed bodies and more squad depth, so being able to get him to sign back in June or whatever was a safe move.

Yeh sure with hindsight and how the window has gone, with potentially more opportunities opening up for a late deal by the looks of things, his signing looks a little unneeded, but back in May/June I think it makes sense. 

Anyone unhappy with Walcott's signing needs to explain who they would have signed instead for the same money, or who they would have sold/not signed to fund a better replacement, or if they would have just gone without and relied on Redmond/Ely etc to step up 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

Anyone unhappy with Walcott's signing needs to explain who they would have signed instead for the same money, or who they would have sold/not signed to fund a better replacement, or if they would have just gone without and relied on Redmond/Ely etc to step up 

Ryan Christie would have been a better use of the money. Lower wages, 6 years younger and a low transfer fee as his contract expires soon.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

Romero (the GK)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

Leaving you short in the wing positions

not really, Mo has come in and done as much as Theo already this season and doesn't look like he is going anywhere. 

Redmond

Armstong

Djenepo

Smallbone

Tella

Thats enough I think.

Edited by skintsaint

21 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

not really, Mo has come in and done as much as Theo already this season and doesn't look like he is going anywhere. 

Redmond

Armstong

Djenepo

Smallbone

Tella

Thats enough I think.

TBH I think that's pretty weak but arguably not as much as our GK position I suppose.

We ought not to forget that Walcott had some good games last year, albeit he hasn't done it in a while

49 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

Perhaps we could sell Walcott now he is under contract, or even loan out for a fee…..?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Dman said:

So well ran, we have to downgrade on every position we sell and can’t afford to add quality to a vital area for us (GK). 

How do you know yet we have downgrades? 

Bit of a weird statement, other than Ings who would always be hard to replace and didn’t look particularly arsed in the 2nd half of last season. 

Perraud doesn’t look like a downgrade, and we have seen Lyanco play for us yet. 

I mean you always like to be negative but this is odd even for you. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Dman said:

Who have we downgraded other than arguably ings ? A striker who clearly didn’t want to be here and has been replaced by arguably a more promising option who is younger and may have less games missed due to injury. 

It’s all too early to tell after a couple of games 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Matthew Le God said:

Ryan Christie would have been a better use of the money. Lower wages, 6 years younger and a low transfer fee as his contract expires soon.

Yep, agree on this or Dell Days suggestion of Sergio Romero. Probably couldn’t have done both with the Theo contract money unless Forster took the message to move. Hope Theo can find a bit of early last season form, I don’t actually think loss of pace is the issue but dropping stamina and strength, hence getting forced off the ball very easily when he does run into trouble. As with Redmond, Theo has never been blessed with strong game awareness but he seems to be bullied out of games more than he was at times last season.