Summer Transfer Window 2021

Dusic

24 minutes ago, SFC Forever said:

Just read the Jack Wilshire article in the Athletic. Training alone and hungry for a chance to play. Is he worth a shot for us?

Nope, he was done a long time ago. Lower leagues or time to retire, sadly. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

He'd be daft to pass that one up, could be a good opportunity for him. He needs to take his blinkers off and stop aiming for the 'top', his top level career is done and is in the bin.

It's a shame as he obviously had a lot of talent, but he didn't look after himself well enough and the injuries are just chronic. If he wants to play then clubs like Wigan are probably a fair shout.

That's a bit harsh. He can't really help having a succession of injuries. You're right though, he should jump at the chance of Wigan. 

West Ham have found their cheque book. Hot on the heals of Zouma...

Weren't we linked with this guy a few months back? A lot of money for someone who was shipped out of this league 2 years ago.

BREAKING NEWS

West Ham are close to agreeing a £25million deal to sign CSKA Moscow and Croatia attacking midfielder Nikola Vlasic.

Edited by S-Clarke

21 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

West Ham have found their cheque book. Hot on the heals of Zouma...

Weren't we linked with this guy a few months back? A lot of money for someone who was shipped out of this league 2 years ago.

BREAKING NEWS

West Ham are close to agreeing a £25million deal to sign CSKA Moscow and Croatia attacking midfielder Nikola Vlasic.

Guess that’s a no from Lingard. 

48 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

image.jpeg.1db168772b8e71c6d7805d56b12e1c1b.jpeg 

Well, it is official, the new strategy is obviously "buy the best youth players we can get". We are targeting the best young up and coming youth players that the present clubs do not want to sell !! but the word is out, we have a coach that wants a team of young star players, and they will be given a chance,  and they are actually coming here!! This is the key, they now want to come here! Excellent!! For around 5 mil we are able to get very tallented young men that can be ready for the step up to first team quite quickly, with their potential already discovered ( best of breed)   we just have to continue to developed these future Stars. I love this strategy.  It is the only sensible way for a club our size to improve our team qualities.  We used to buy around the 15mill player already seasoned and ready to go into first team,  but it had gotten harder and harder to find the really good players at that bracket, now many average players are asking that fee, and we got screwed with quite a few dross that were not worth the contracts and then hampers us financially.  

So we leave the over inflated established player market as it get more difficult to get a star at our price levels, and tap up the best of the teenager star market, Brilliant 👏.  4 players with huge potential  vs one 20mill established player that could be an expensive flop is far more sensible to me. 

I am really excited for our club, the new super kids coming in give me great hope we are still heading in the right direction   just doing it differently,  smarter,  and more in line with what Ralf wants. Players who will run their ass off implementing one of the hardest systems to master. If Ralf and playbook can stick around long enough to see this come to fruition, we may well be mixing it up with the big teams. I hope he does. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

Nixon saying we want Sheff Utd striker Jebbison: https://the72.co.uk/248620/sheffield-united-youngster-a-target-for-premier-league-side-southampton-fee-mentioned/

18 year old striker.  On the surface of it, you’d think we don’t need it, but we’re going to lose 3 at the end of the season.

Nixon is just below Crook in terms of credibility imo but young top talents is clearly a part of our remit now so sounds plausible. Although Everton have been keen on this kid all summer and with Kean leaving they can offer him a place right behind Calvert-Lewin which we can't (at least for another year anyway). Nixon is clearly fed information by selling teams a lot as well to boost buying teams into moving quicker (see his insistence throughout the Armstrong stuff that Palace and Norwich were in advanced talks) so again, I'd take it with a pinch of salt for now.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SFC Forever said:

Just read the Jack Wilshire article in the Athletic. Training alone and hungry for a chance to play. Is he worth a shot for us?

I'm also a NO. It disappointed me his "what do I tell my son when he asks why no-one wants me?" Er, you tell him "because, son, I ask for £100k a week and I can't stop getting injured, so no-one can afford to hire me."

He said he wants to play abroad, after Wigan made him an offer.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, the saint in winchester said:

I'm also a NO. It disappointed me his "what do I tell my son when he asks why no-one wants me?" Er, you tell him "because, son, I ask for £100k a week and I can't stop getting injured, so no-one can afford to hire me."

He said he wants to play abroad, after Wigan made him an offer.

Would it not be worth at least having a look at him?

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, Ivan Katalinic's 'tache said:

Any hint of a number 6 coming in before the window closes? Or are we done?

I can see a couple more heading out on loan, like Long or Obafemi.

I personally think it will be a loan option as we should have one to use up.

Its a matter of the right player becoming available if the team he’s from gets the ones they want in.

So who’s buying what in the last few days?

Maybe West Ham, Villa and Liverpool could have a no 6 who’s not going to feature for them?

1 hour ago, Ivan Katalinic's 'tache said:

Any hint of a number 6 coming in before the window closes? Or are we done?

I can see a couple more heading out on loan, like Long or Obafemi.

I know someone in the academy coaching team who says we're "talking" to Wilshere about a pay as you play deal. But a long way off and "very unlikely". Sounds like we're just sounding out options.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Ivan Katalinic's 'tache said:

Any hint of a number 6 coming in before the window closes?

Was about to say Delaney...but he has gone to Sevilla for a touch over 5m quid.

Is Koopmeiners in our range? Would be a good strong DM with a good touch/pass on him.

4 hours ago, skintsaint said:

Is Koopmeiners in our range? Would be a good strong DM with a good touch/pass on him.

Going to Atalanta for €12M apparently. 

Would imagine we might leave our PL loan spot open for January as if not we surely would have very little wiggle room to do anything without selling a first team player.

Would be stupid to loan in a 4th choice centre mid and then be constrained in Jan because of it.

If we get anyone I expect it will be a young player like Livramento or Small.

No links though at this stage, and there are less than 48hrs to go...

5 minutes ago, Butthole_Surfer said:

Sheffield's Sander Berge to ramp up our defensive midfield or Bologna's Matthias Svanberg who SFC has been linked with earlier would be awesome.
Besides a keeper that could catch a ball that is…

Sander Berge would really top this window off. Watched him again the other night and he was absolutely head and shoulders above everyone on the pitch. Would really add legs to our centre midfield, drives forward really well and a big lad too.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, saintwbu said:

Sander Berge would really top this window off. Watched him again the other night and he was absolutely head and shoulders above everyone on the pitch. Would really add legs to our centre midfield, drives forward really well and a big lad too.

We aren't suddenly going to find a spare £15m unless we sell a key player. I don't know how that isn't clear by now!

Anyway, Sky saying we are probably done, with loan the only possibility for us now. 

In terms of incomings, I like what we have done. We needed to freshen things up and have done that. Losing Ings was a blow, not bothered about Bertrand and Vestergaard.

If Lyanco turns out good then its probably been our best window for a while.

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Surely if it’s a loan we’ll be extending his contract?

Certainly a weird one. Apparently, the fee agreed with Blackburn was nowhere near the £6m reported.

With Bournemouth & Fulham rumoured to be interested, money shouldn’t be an issue.

46 minutes ago, Dusic said:

We aren't suddenly going to find a spare £15m unless we sell a key player. I don't know how that isn't clear by now!

I trust your judgement, but am I right in saying that  ?

Outgoing:   Ings (28m) + Vest(14m) + Gunn (5m) + Lemina (4m) = £51m   I have purposely missed out Hoedt/Jankewitz on the basis that price was very low. 

Incoming: Perraud (£12m) + Livremento (£5m) + Lyanco (£7m) + Small/Simeu (£5m) = £29m

I recognise that I am going to be inundated by people telling me all about agents fees, signing on fees, Broja loan cost etc but the difference of £22m does seem rather large to me. Plus the likes of Perraud and Lyanco are not going to be paid the same salary as the Bertrand, Ings & Vest. 

I am getting old, so maybe I have missed someone or my maths is wrong, but based on the above I still cling onto the hope that we will suddenly find £10m+ in our back pocket tomorrow and suddenly swoop for a big, physical centre mid as a starter. 

Perhaps at my age I shouldn't be so optimistic - (or as I say above, perhaps I have just forgotten somebody .....) 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Surely if it’s a loan we’ll be extending his contract?

He'll have to want to sign it, unless we have an option. If he wants regular football, he'll need to move on. I think there's a really good player in there, but I just can't see it happening for him here. He needs a good season at a decent championship club to kick start his career. 

4 minutes ago, WALK DMC said:

Outgoing:   Ings (28m) + Vest(14m) + Gunn (5m) + Lemina (4m) = £51m   I have purposely missed out Hoedt/Jankewitz on the basis that price was very low. 

Incoming: Perraud (£12m) + Livremento (£5m) + Lyanco (£7m) + Small/Simeu (£5m) = £29m

I recognise that I am going to be inundated by people telling me all about agents fees, signing on fees, Broja loan cost etc but the difference of £22m does seem rather large to me. Plus the likes of Perraud and Lyanco are not going to be paid the same salary as the Bertrand, Ings & Vest. 

I am getting old, so maybe I have missed someone or my maths is wrong, but based on the above I still cling onto the hope that we will suddenly find £10m+ in our back pocket tomorrow and suddenly swoop for a big, physical centre mid as a starter. 

Perhaps at my age I shouldn't be so optimistic - (or as I say above, perhaps I have just forgotten somebody .....) 

Yep I am old. I missed Armstrong - £15m

Ignore that last post 🙂

7 minutes ago, WALK DMC said:

I think there's a few issues. We don't know what the initial fees received were (ie without add ons) and can't be sure on outlay. If your figures are right though and we've paid say 10% out from the sales as loyalty bonuses, paid from the fees, that drops receipts to about £45m. If we've paid 10% from the receipts on top of incoming fees on signing on fees, that increases them to about £32m. That leaves £13m...if we pay say £3m in agents fees from that, we've still got you're £10m left over...maybe something will happen. 

EDIT 

Just see your post about Armstrong...there's the money gone. 

Edited by egg

3 minutes ago, WALK DMC said:

Exactly - plus we are no longer committed to the £20m contract (£100k a week x 4 yrs) we put on the table for Ings - there is no way we are paying Armstrong anywhere near that, so there's likely £10m there straight off. Anyone that goes on about agent fees and all these "hidden costs" never consider the hidden benefits of the departure of high earners.

It's interesting that in this window the "we can only spend what we bring in" has now transformed into "we can only spend half of what we bring in".

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dusic said:

Anyway, Sky saying we are probably done, with loan the only possibility for us now. 

In terms of incomings, I like what we have done. We needed to freshen things up and have done that. Losing Ings was a blow, not bothered about Bertrand and Vestergaard.

If Lyanco turns out good then its probably been our best window for a while.

Think a loan with an obligation to buy next summer could suit all parties given Sheff Utd don’t look like a team that will be competing for promotion this season. Guaranteeing a decent amount of money coming in next summer whilst Berge’s value is relatively high instead of risking a drop off over the next 9 months.

8 hours ago, skintsaint said:

4 hours ago, Yozzman said:

Going to Atalanta for €12M apparently. 

Annoying as both should have been within our price range.

Delaney looked to be exactly what we needed. Koopmeiners less experienced but looks good, although have to caveat that and say so did Jordie Clasie from his days in Netherlands.

Edited by Badger

16 minutes ago, Badger said:

Delaney looked to be exactly what we needed. Koopmeiners less experienced but looks good, although have to tcaveat thta and say so did Jordie Clasie from his days in Netherlands.

Even if we did try for them, Sevilla and Atalanta are more attractive propositions for players than us at the moment unfortunately

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Badger said:

Delaney looked to be exactly what we needed. Koopmeiners less experienced but looks good, although have to tcaveat thta and say so did Jordie Clasie from his days in Netherlands.

Never really understood the Delaney link. Made zero sense as we've already got a 29 yr old DM.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

Even if we did try for them, Sevilla and Atalanta are more attractive propositions for players than us at the moment unfortunately

True, especially in Koopmeiners case that would be an enormous pull, but Delaney has played in the CL for Dortmund so possibly the attraction of the EPL (and wages) might have swung it. All conjecture of course.

2 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Never really understood the Delaney link. Made zero sense as we've already got a 29 yr old DM.

Delaney is a 29 year old with International and CL experience. Bringing that quality and experience  at the figures mentioned made sense to me.

2 hours ago, Dusic said:

Would imagine we might leave our PL loan spot open for January as if not we surely would have very little wiggle room to do anything without selling a first team player.

Would be stupid to loan in a 4th choice centre mid and then be constrained in Jan because of it.

That's a good point actually, especially if we don't know where Lyanco is going to fit in, DM or CB, wonder if Ralph knows yet ! Depending on this we could be in need of a CB or MF.

(Oh, and a GK of course).

1 minute ago, saint lard said:

Ntcham from Celtic wouldn’t surprise me. 🤷🏻‍♂️
just a rumour. 

If this is correct he's a free agent.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11787/12369960/olivier-ntcham-leaves-celtic-after-four-year-spell

Thought I read somewhere that his attitude was questioned by Marseille whist he was there last season.