Summer Transfer Window 2021

Dusic

Just now, hypochondriac said:

I highly doubt that 6 million was our limit. Let's not rewrite history and pretend that Lyanco was literally our only option. No one on the forum knew who he was a couple of weeks ago. 

Ah right, so you think we have some more cash down the back of the sofa?  That's fair enough - none of us really know what the state of the finances are.  I'm inclined to think we probably don't have that much money so even if it wasn't Lyanco then it would have been someone around that price range.  

2 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I highly doubt that 6 million was our limit. Let's not rewrite history and pretend that Lyanco was literally our only option. No one on the forum knew who he was a couple of weeks ago. 

Which I find hugely concerning. Desperate for the club to have pulled a rabbit out of the hat with this one. I hate writing off players without ever seeing them play or anything like that, but with the options that were mooted on here, am very concerned thetas the best we have come up with. 

2 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

It's not what we do? So peraud was someone we promoted from within? Kwp? Armstrong? 

Last post for the day, so not interested in or able to have a prolonged discussion.  I think you know why some transfers are exceptions to the concept of 'buying to develop'.  We needed a starting quality LB after Bertrand left and we had zero options coming through the ranks hence Perraud, we needed a starting quality RB at the time KWP was brought in as Cedric had left and Valery wasn't up to it.  We needed at staring striker after Ings left as neither Obafemi or Nlundulu were up to it so we brought in Armstrong.

The club obviously think Bednarek and Stephens good enough to be part of the 4 CBs in the squad  so decided to bring in another player to join the CB group.  Lyanco might turn out to be more Lovren than Forren, we'll just have to wait and see.

• Like 2

If we are seeking to sign a fifth defensive misfielder, then I'm surprised that we haven't made a move for a player like Claudio Gomes from Man City, though I don't know whether he is more of a Romeu-type DM or a JWP-type DM. I think our shortage is cover for Romeu rather than cover for JWP. As I see it our defensive midfield options look like this:

Traditional UK Number 4 (in Germany a number 6) - defensive holding midfielder

• Romeu

More attack-minded or box-to-box style DM - traditionally a number 7 or 8 in the UK

• JWP
  • Diallo
  • Smallbone

While JWP or Diallo can switch into the number 4 (6) position, that is not their greatest strength.

Nevertheless, I do wonder if there is a player in the academy of one of the big clubs who could be given a chance at Saints in that position, in the same way that Livramento and Small have been given the opportunity to challenge at full back.

18 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Absolutely laughable that you'd consider an upgrade on Stephens as completely unrealistic for the team who had the second worst defence in the league last year. Its not unrealistic and wouldn't be difficult to get an upgrade in Stephens. We've clearly made a choice. 

Expecting us to sign an upgrade on Stephens, as well as a Vestergaard replacement, is as unrealistic as expecting us or sign another keeper.

We have Stephens, Bednarek and Salisu under contract. We've signed 1 to replace 1 in the squad.

As lovely as it'd be to replace all our average players with better, it's unrealistic. You know that. 

• Like 2

Totally fail to understand why JV is talked about like he was the second coming. Other than a handful of games at the start of last season he's been bang average for us and utterly derided on this very forum. Stephens rightfully kept him out 2 seasons ago after the Leicester City incident and Leicester fans are already questioning the signing due to his fitness issues. Stephens still has the ability to mature into a very good central defender and clearly has a desire to do well for the club. 

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, mynameisthehulk said:

Totally fail to understand why JV is talked about like he was the second coming. Other than a handful of games at the start of last season he's been bang average for us and utterly derided on this very forum. Stephens rightfully kept him out 2 seasons ago after the Leicester City incident and Leicester fans are already questioning the signing due to his fitness issues. Stephens still has the ability to mature into a very good central defender and clearly has a desire to do well for the club. 

it's the SaintsWeb way.

Fully agree with your post.  A rarity of common sense on many threads.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, egg said:

Expecting us to sign an upgrade on Stephens, as well as a Vestergaard replacement, is as unrealistic as expecting us or sign another keeper.

We have Stephens, Bednarek and Salisu under contract. We've signed 1 to replace 1 in the squad.

As lovely as it'd be to replace all our average players with better, it's unrealistic. You know that. 

Agree, however The vestergaard replacement should have been the upgrade on Stephens. 

Sounds like this new fella will need time to bed in. Time is something we don’t really have. 

• Like 1

To those Aviation buffs The Helicopters are in Boscombe Down - Old Sarum area also Helicopter training carried out from Thruxton and AAC at Middle Wallop just to the NE.

Edited by derry

19 minutes ago, SaintJackoInHurworth said:

If we are seeking to sign a fifth defensive misfielder, then I'm surprised that we haven't made a move for a player like Claudio Gomes from Man City, though I don't know whether he is more of a Romeu-type DM or a JWP-type DM. I think our shortage is cover for Romeu rather than cover for JWP. As I see it our defensive midfield options look like this:

• Romeu

More attack-minded or box-to-box style DM - traditionally a number 7 or 8 in the UK

• JWP
  • Diallo
  • Smallbone

While JWP or Diallo can switch into the number 4 (6) position, that is not their greatest strength.

Nevertheless, I do wonder if there is a player in the academy of one of the big clubs who could be given a chance at Saints in that position, in the same way that Livramento and Small have been given the opportunity to challenge at full back.

On the total saints podcast, think it was Dan Sheldon was saying the club rate academy player Ryan Finnegan highly. Not seen him play myself but if that is true can’t see them wanting to pay to bring in another kid from elsewhere.

• Like 1

Just now, Baird of the land said:

On the total saints podcast, think it was Dan Sheldon was saying the club rate academy player Ryan Finnegan highly. Not seen him play myself but if that is true can’t see them wanting to pay to bring in another kid from elsewhere.

A few years ago that was Slattery, look how that's turned out. Unless Finnegan is first team ready now, which I doubt, we shouldn't be making any transfer decisions with him in mind. 

2 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Probably discussed before but any idea what happened to kbilly and Guan?

Looking through the SaintsFC hashtag and seeing the mountains of people pretending to be ITK (looking at you CabbageFace) so sprung back to my mind.

Very good point. They were our proper itk's, although Appy seems to know some stuff too. 

10 minutes ago, Dman said:

Agree, however The vestergaard replacement should have been the upgrade on Stephens. 

Sounds like this new fella will need time to bed in. Time is something we don’t really have. 

Maybe the club couldn't find anyone who they thought was a suitable upgrade within their price range.

We all want better players but sometimes it's not possible.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Restark19 said:

A few years ago that was Slattery, look how that's turned out. Unless Finnegan is first team ready now, which I doubt, we shouldn't be making any transfer decisions with him in mind. 

This is crazy we should always be making transfer decisions with the academy in mind, if we have a lad who is on the verge of first team selection we shouldn’t block his path by bringing in another player in that position unless that player is already proven good enough to displace the player occupying that position. Bringing in a gamble that then clogs up the squad for two/three years is crazy when we could have gambled on the youngster and lost nothing.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, a1ex2001 said:

This is crazy we should always be making transfer decisions with the academy in mind, if we have a lad who is on the verge of first team selection we shouldn’t block his path by bringing in another player in that position unless that player is already proven good enough to displace the player occupying that position. Bringing in a gamble that then clogs up the squad for two/three years is crazy when we could have gambled on the youngster and lost nothing.

I would rather not get relegated than gamble on youngsters.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, a1ex2001 said:

Finnegan is 17. He'd have to be absolutely exceptional to be making a dent in the first team in the next 3-4 years playing in central midfield.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

Couple of helicopters hovering just north west of Southampton, so would likely be from the South West or Wales.  Safe to assume the late capture of Jefferson Lerma!

image.png.2a59cd9a1512c6b3bd19d7b81ff3eaab.png

would love a bit of Lerma or Brooks tbh or even at a push Billing / Mepham

4 minutes ago, SaintLondon said:

Adam Blackmore confirmed none expected in. So I’d say that’s that my friends. Bit of a damp squib but there we go..

None expected at the moment but things could change was the case this morning. Not sure that's the usual "that's all folks" tweet. Not far off now surely though, if nothing has popped up by now then that is probably that. 

With dosh incoming from Swansea I hope we don't fully give up this evening. London is close enough to us to score a last minute loan. That said I think our squad is in better shape than last season so we just have to hope that we can pick up a few good results soon to boost morale.

2 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

🚨 Southampton midfielder Will Smallbone is set to return to full training in two weeks #saintsfc [@AdamBlackmore]

will give more competition but think we are a defensive midfielder light when Romeu out

Not good enough to fill that defensive midfield role. Not really sure what his best position is to ne honest. 

2 hours ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Which I find hugely concerning. Desperate for the club to have pulled a rabbit out of the hat with this one. I hate writing off players without ever seeing them play or anything like that, but with the options that were mooted on here, am very concerned thetas the best we have come up with. 

Same here. Our defence has been shocking for a while. Really hope the new guy is as good as he says he is .

If not we’re in trouble if we have to rely on Bednarek and Stephens.

29 minutes ago, Ted Bates Statue said:

Think the last time they posted they were dropping heavy hints that Flores was going to be our next manager.

Honourable mention to EricB and LeG. Also SKD for quite a while.

I think you’ve forgotten someone…….

2 hours ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Probably discussed before but any idea what happened to kbilly and Guan?

Looking through the SaintsFC hashtag and seeing the mountains of people pretending to be ITK (looking at you CabbageFace) so sprung back to my mind.

2 hours ago, egg said:

Very good point. They were our proper itk's, although Appy seems to know some stuff too. 

46 minutes ago, Ted Bates Statue said:

Think the last time they posted they were dropping heavy hints that Flores was going to be our next manager.

What happened to LeG...? His user ID no longer exists and all his posts have disappeared. Did I miss something?

48 minutes ago, Ted Bates Statue said:

I believe SKD lost his contact at the club a while back. Very found memories of the Poch years in particular and said the club lost its ‘family feel’ when he left. (I get the impression everyone at the club was a huge fan of him as a person, not just a manager).

Also he was a Friend of friends of a couple of players who have now left. 

18 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

I thought Lyanco could play DCM - he would almost certainly be in the Romeu mould? If so and he gets the chance to prove his versatility, perhaps there’s less of a need to waste money on a less flexible, squad player?

The clamour on here a while back was that Jack Stephens was the perfect man for that role….

1 minute ago, Dman said:

I believe SKD lost his contact at the club a while back. Very found memories of the Poch years in particular and said the club lost its ‘family feel’ when he left. (I get the impression everyone at the club was a huge fan of him as a person, not just a manager).

Also he was a Friend of friends of a couple of players who have now left. 

He was such a good poster, really miss him. I don’t think anyone could replace him. 

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Dusic said:

Doubt we will be getting more than a couple of million for Obafemi seeing as his contract is up at the end of the season. Swansea have very little cash albeit just got £2m from Bournemouth for Lowe.

..." only a couple of million " ?    ...it's better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick, and a real chance for him to get regular first team football. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SaintJackoInHurworth said:

• Romeu

• JWP
  • Diallo
  • Smallbone

If we end up with Salisu and Lyanco as regular CB's ..we might do worse than using Stephens as Romeu's back-up.

Jack looks more impressive when he's on the move, and he knows how to tackle with some determination. 

2 hours ago, Wade Garrett said:

I would rather not get relegated than gamble on youngsters.

We won’t get relegated because we didn’t block the pathway for a youth team player, if we get relegated it will be because the starting 11 and senior backups were not good enough.

1 hour ago, verlaine1979 said:

Finnegan is 17. He'd have to be absolutely exceptional to be making a dent in the first team in the next 3-4 years playing in central midfield.

I was talking in general and if you read what I said it doesn’t apply to this individual if he is that far off the first team.

Just now, a1ex2001 said:

We won’t get relegated because we didn’t block the pathway for a youth team player, if we get relegated it will be because the starting 11 and senior backups were not good enough.

I was talking in general and if you read what I said it doesn’t apply to this individual if he is that far off the first team.

If we get relegated it will be because Lyanco isn't good enough, because our centre backs aren't up to scratch as a pair and because we don't have enough strength in DM. Let's hope not though eh? 

3 minutes ago, david in sweden said:

If we end up with Salisu and Lyanco as regular CB's ..we might do worse than using Stephens as Romeu's back-up.

Jack looks more impressive when he's on the move, and he knows how to tackle with some determination. 

CBs play there because they ain't good enough to play CM. 

I get a bit gloomy on our chances when I see experienced players replaced with less experienced players.

But at least the club has a strategy of buying youth talent on the verge of regular first team appearances. Which is better than just random youth talent, or squad fillers.

We're clearly not shopping in the same places as other teams at the moment, so I can only hope it's enough. I remind myself I'm gloomy nearly every season, and we've stayed up this far. 🙂

Still want someone to win the ball in midfield though...

11 minutes ago, david in sweden said:

So a guy with fu** all awareness at cdm, no thanks ill pass on that one 

• Like 1