Sheffield Utd 0-2 Saints - Match Thread

Harry_SFC

If ever there was a banker for a nil nil draw this is it. Both teams are struggling for goals, they are probably marginally more shit up front then we are at the moment. Not sure how the best way to approach this game is. Our usual all or nothing first half, hope to score a couple to get a decent cushion for the second half. Or just be as conservative as we have been lately, concentrating on keeping the ball.

17 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

If ever there was a banker for a nil nil draw this is it. Both teams are struggling for goals, they are probably marginally more shit up front then we are at the moment. Not sure how the best way to approach this game is. Our usual all or nothing first half, hope to score a couple to get a decent cushion for the second half. Or just be as conservative as we have been lately, concentrating on keeping the ball.

They are missing all three of their first choice CB's, very much doubt a 0-0.

2 hours ago, alehouseboys said:

To lighten to gloom - fast forward to 1:40 to see VAR working for us followed by a moment of magic

Thanks for sharing that, brings back memories of a cracking away day, sun shining, loads of good pubs, 3000 Saints fans in the away end. 

Adams looked a proper striker in that first half, very unlucky with shot and header, good technique for both. 

Our recent record is good against the Blades, need that to continue on Saturday, it will be interesting to watch their game on Wednesday against Villa , at some point they'll mentally stop fighting and accept they are down. 

12 hours ago, Roger said:

Forster didn’t do anything wrong rather he play in goal. 

Just let in 1 goal, let in a disallowed goal, saved an offside goal out of how many shots, 1  legitimately on target? He's no better than he was previously, he just hasn't been tested in his recent appearances.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Your confidence in our ability to keep a clean sheet is rather touching, i just hope you are right 

17 hours ago, Harry_SFC said:

Huge game coming up on Saturday. 

I think we need two more wins to be safe. If we don't get one here then serious questions need to be asked.

Forster; KWP/Ramsay, Vestergaard, Bednarek, Bertrand; Diallo, JWP; Armstrong, Minamino/Djenepo; Tella, Ings.

This is not a relegation decider. But it will define our relegation status at this moment.

What gave we got like 13 or so games left? And we are on total relegation form, the games are fast disappearing, we have to turn this around & fast starting with Sheffield United, there can be no excuses not to take three points.  People say no danger of relegation but I'm not so sure, losing becomes a habit & at the moment one goal is enough against us 

Bring in Minanimo, KWP, Diallo and it's a different proposition. Leave Redmond at home. I'd have Tella start instead of Adams, too. The latter has been pretty anonymous and was impressed with Tella when he came on. Go to be brave and go for the jugular. Time to ditch the patient tippy tap approach, Ralph

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Toussaint said:

Just let in 1 goal, let in a disallowed goal, saved an offside goal out of how many shots, 1  legitimately on target? He's no better than he was previously, he just hasn't been tested in his recent appearances.

Distribution was way better. Exuded more presence. Sorry. As if McCarthy would have saved the first one...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DT said:

Distribution was way better. Exuded more presence. Sorry. As if McCarthy would have saved the first one...

I've no idea if he would have saved the first one. I just responding to the point Fraser didn't do anything wrong with the reality that he didn't have to do anything, and has had very little to do in the games he has played. My view, just my view is McCarthy isn't the problem, if he was it's unlikely the Frasier would be the answer. Don't get me wrong, I respect Frasier and want him to do well, I'm just sceptical he will, and for whatever reason he gives me the jitters. Maybe a hangover from his last spell. 

Actu

Just now, Toussaint said:

I've no idea if he would have saved the first one. I just responding to the point Fraser didn't do anything wrong with the reality that he didn't have to do anything, and has had very little to do in the games he has played. My view, just my view is McCarthy isn't the problem, if he was it's unlikely the Frasier would be the answer. Don't get me wrong, I respect Frasier and want him to do well, I'm just sceptical he will, and for whatever reason he gives me the jitters. Maybe a hangover from his last spell. 

Frasier would probably be better, you're right. Excellent sitcom...

Point taken. I get the jitters more when McCarthy has the ball at his feet than F. But it's marginal, agreed...

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

McCarthy isn't THE problem but he is a problem, we have been conceding well over xG over the last 10 games or so, he is not performing like he did last season and earlier this, no glaring mistakes but he is statistically below par.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, DT said:

Frasier would probably be better, you're right. Excellent sitcom...

Point taken. I get the jitters more when McCarthy has the ball at his feet than F. But it's marginal, agreed...

You've hit on something, every time Saints play in future I'll watch a re run of Frasier, much better for the blood pressure and general sense of well being! 

11 years ago I was at St Mary’s as we tore Huddersfield a new hole in a 5 nil win. 

So for no other reason, I predict we will beat Sheffield United 5-0 as we finally click and banish all talk of relegation.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Mr X said:

What gave we got like 13 or so games left? And we are on total relegation form, the games are fast disappearing, we have to turn this around & fast starting with Sheffield United, there can be no excuses not to take three points.  People say no danger of relegation but I'm not so sure, losing becomes a habit & at the moment one goal is enough against us 

For Chelsea it wasn't enough

I think that if we score we’ll go on to win with a degree of comfort. 

Fingers crossed for KWP return but if not we should at least play someone there who will get forward. Djenepo created our best chance yesterday by getting forward into the space created by Tella and Armstrong being central.

Bertrand doesn’t do this enough down the left, perhaps under instruction, so hopefully Minamino is fit so Redmond can take a seat on the bench. Can’t have our entire left flank slowing it down and going backwards.

If Diallo is back then that could free up Armstrong to play in the left advanced role and get us moving forward more.

Predicting 2-0 Saints, Ings (2)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Saint Garrett said:

Next you'll be saying it's a "must win" game, despite being 7 points above the relegation zone.

I don’t often go in with the ‘must win’ game but we clearly need to stop the rot. Heads have dropped and losing to the leagues bottom side would dent fragile confidence.

While of course there will be more opportunities to get the last few results we need to completely ease any relegation mutterings this is clearly one of the better ones. Worth nothing Sheff Utd have injury worries of their own at the back and look blunt up top.

I would hope if we hit 36/37 points soon tension would ease and we can start playing with more bravery. It would also be good to give Tella, Nlundulu and Jankewitz (possibly even get Ferry off the bench) a few run outs  to get a view to their squad roles next year and hopefully have a small positive impact on their overall development.

Despite the  result (losing 2-0 at home to Liverpool) you couldnt fault Sheffield United's effort on Sunday evening. Similar against us will make it a real battle. 

I'll watch their game tonight, my hope is similar levels of effort against Villa and they'll be spent by Saturday, nothing left in the tank with realisation of relegation kicking in. 

30 minutes ago, JRM said:

Despite the  result (losing 2-0 at home to Liverpool) you couldnt fault Sheffield United's effort on Sunday evening. Similar against us will make it a real battle. 

I'll watch their game tonight, my hope is similar levels of effort against Villa and they'll be spent by Saturday, nothing left in the tank with realisation of relegation kicking in. 

If we fail to match their effort it will be criminal and we will risk losing the game.

Just now, Chapel End said:

Of course they are, who wouldn't be.

What's your point?

It making our job harder at the weekend to get an essential win over a team high on confidence. That’s my point. 

Just now, Chapel End said:

It won't have any bearing on our game at all, if we play as we know we can we will win, that is the point 

Them having more confidence after winning won’t have a bearing on the game. Righto 

• Haha 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Sheffield Utd 0-2 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic