Sheffield Utd 0-2 Saints - Match Thread

Harry_SFC

8 minutes ago, Chris cooper said:

Who remembers a stern John double against Sheffield Utd to keep us in the championship I  think over 10 years ago now .. last game of season pitch invasion at St Mary’s .

We were driving home from a brass band contest in Buxton.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, DT said:

They have a big incentive to beat us now.  Really not our year. 

What's their big incentive, exactly?

I hope our fans don't start creating this all conquering Sheff U juggernaut which is clearly never going to drop a point again, just like Fulham. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

We were driving home from a brass band contest in Buxton.

I was there and remember it well. Looking for positives from their result tonight at least we shouldn't be at risk of complacency having seen that and they'll be without Jagielka.

The team we should be focusing on is Fulham , as they are in the last relegation place and their next 3 games are Spurs , Liverpool and Man City . I really don't see them getting many points from those 3 . So although not getting a decent result against Sheffield Utd  would be bad for confidence it probably wont make much difference to league position compared to them.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, sad saints fan said:

The team we should be focusing on is Fulham , as they are in the last relegation place and their next 3 games are Spurs , Liverpool and Man City . I really don't see them getting many points from those 3 . So although not getting a decent result against Sheffield Utd  would be bad for confidence it probably wont make much difference to league position compared to them.

Anyone can beat Liverpool this season. 

25 minutes ago, Shroppie said:

They have now. That didn't go according to plan

I thought they were impressive, reminded me of the Sheff Utd of last season who seemed to grind out single goal victories, Ramsdale looking confident. 

Red card could be overturned like the Bednarek one after Man Utd. 

1 minute ago, JRM said:

I thought they were impressive, reminded me of the Sheff Utd of last season who seemed to grind out single goal victories, Ramsdale looking confident. 

Red card could be overturned like the Bednarek one after Man Utd. 

I thought so too. Worked hard, defended well, lacking quality but capable of grinding a result out. We will find it hard at the weekend, just got to hope the shorter rest and effort put in means they’re not as fresh 

14 minutes ago, sad saints fan said:

The way things are going I think it's a nailed-on Fulham win tomorrow

1 hour ago, Shroppie said:

They have now. That didn't go according to plan

What plan? If you had offered me that their only remaining fit CB was to be sent off, but they would win the game (which matters little anyways), I would have taken that all day

• Like 1

On 02/03/2021 at 11:54, Toussaint said:

Just let in 1 goal, let in a disallowed goal, saved an offside goal out of how many shots, 1  legitimately on target? He's no better than he was previously, he just hasn't been tested in his recent appearances.

I have been one of Fraser's most vitriolic critics over the course of his mostly shambolic career with us. I watch most games with my Dad, and he can't stand Fraser either.

But.

It's all well and good slating someone when they are genuinely shite, and make no mistake, he surely has been for much of his time here, but it is only fair to dish out the praise too on the rare ocasions it is merited. And we both agreed (having been anticipating some horror shows upon his recent recalls) that he has very clearly been working on his game. So credit where it is due to him.

My biggest criticisms of him have consistently been his abysmal "command" of his box (eg, complete lack of it) and woeful distribution. Have to say there were very noticable improvements in these areas during his recent performances. Sure, he's always going to get down for shots like a tree being felled in the forest, due to posessing the agility of an oil tanker -- but really feel he looked so much better with the ball at his feet (by the end of his 2nd recent display I no longer shat myself whenever the ball was played back to him) and noticed a number of occasions where he confidently left the nosebleed territory of his six yard box to either claim or clear a few high balls.

Having said all that, I can only hope that he keeps working hard to improve, and putting in some consistent performances.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

What plan? If you had offered me that their only remaining fit CB was to be sent off, but they would win the game (which matters little anyways), I would have taken that all day

Accepted that's goodish news, but I'd rather they'd also been demoralised by a couple of late Villa goals.

• Like 1

I think a big part of the game will be about who scores first.  If we do, it might just give us the confidence to go on and win it.  If they do, well we all know the script, there will be very little fight from us.   Its totally set up for them now though, the pressure is off them, they are already down, nobody expects them to stay up.  Of all the games they could've had after tonight, we are absolutely perfect for them, unfortunately.  Sticking with my one nil loss prediction.  Perhaps we'll win the next one.....

19 minutes ago, Micky said:

I think a big part of the game will be about who scores first.  If we do, it might just give us the confidence to go on and win it.  If they do, well we all know the script, there will be very little fight from us.   Its totally set up for them now though, the pressure is off them, they are already down, nobody expects them to stay up.  Of all the games they could've had after tonight, we are absolutely perfect for them, unfortunately.  Sticking with my one nil loss prediction.  Perhaps we'll win the next one.....

Sheffield United have already won 3 home games in 2021 and are way ahead of us in form (last 10 games) , I've not checked the odds but would expect bookies to make them favourites. 

Edited by JRM

47 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Why, because we face one of the worst teams in Premier league history after they actually won a game, with 10 men, 2 days after we last played. 

Fuck me, we’re soooo unlucky...

Yeah that’s it. You’ve got it exactly right. 

8 minutes ago, JRM said:

I've not checked the odds but would expect bookies to make them favourites. 

Nope.

You can get close close to evens for Saints and close to 3/1 for Sheff Utd.

Because even though our form isn't good... we are the better team.

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, JRM said:

Sheffield United have already won 3 home games in 2021 and are way ahead of us in form (last 10 games) , I've not checked the odds but would expect bookies to make them favourites. 

They are 13/5. We are 11/10 at Betfair. 

------------------------Forster----------------------------

KWP--------Bednarek---------Vestergard-------Bertrand

---------------JWP------------Diallo---------------------

-----Armstrong----------------------Minamino----------

--------------Ings------------Adams--------------------

Subs: McCarthy, Ramsey, Stephens, Salisu, Jankevich, Djnepo, Redmond, Tella, N'Lundulu

2-0 Saints

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Turkish said:

I thought so too. Worked hard, defended well, lacking quality but capable of grinding a result out. We will find it hard at the weekend, just got to hope the shorter rest and effort put in means they’re not as fresh 

I agree it will be hard, but I'm hoping Ralph can adapt his gameplan,  yep I just just check and I said adjust his gameplan.

They need to come at us, they need to victory more than us, which could suit us.  I'd like us to try sitting a little deeper on the press, and then full on counter. I think they'd find that hard. 

Playing like we did v Everton, or Newcastle I think we lose, 1st half v Wolves or Leeds, think we win.

Wonder what side of Jekyll or Hyde will turn up. 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Sheffield Utd 0-2 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic