Jump to content

Any love for Redmond?


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Chapel End said:

I'm not sure that our players take to much on here seriously especially as most of it is shyte, however the Redmond comments do have some merit.

What you’ve got on is about 40% of people who know fuck all about football and there is no helping them. Another 50% who don’t know much but just on the back of whatever the popular opinion is or what stats/computer games tell them and 10% who actually get what’s happening on the pitch. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t blame Redmond for producing another crap performance. I blame the manager who just can’t see how poor he is at the moment.

Honestly he makes my blood boil when he messes up the most simplest of things.

Link to post
Share on other sites

My biggest gripe with Redmond is that he never really commits to winning/receiving the ball- too often dangling out a weak leg in hope. He made one tackle today where he really went for it. Not sure Djenepo offers much more going forwards, he also is far too negative in possession. I think Tella should earn that position next season and keep Ings/adams up top. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Turkish said:

What you’ve got on is about 40% of people who know fuck all about football and there is no helping them. Another 50% who don’t know much but just on the back of whatever the popular opinion is or what stats/computer games tell them and 10% who actually get what’s happening on the pitch. 

Happily I am in the 10% group and I can categorically state that Redmond is a great player.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I missed the game today so can’t judge today’s performance, but I think this thread shows how over the top reactions can get: people were praising him a few days ago, and now they are murdering him again.

Redmond is an acceptable player for PL level, he’s not gonna to produce every game that’s just the reality of playing in such a high quality league. It doesn’t help that a lot of his contributions come off the ball, which are inevitably missed. I hope we can improve on him, because it’s possible, but people really do overreact to everything he does.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Useful Idiot said:

I don't hate him, but I do think he should be dropped for the next couple of games. His confidence looks shot and his decision making has completely gone.

That’s what people say every time he has a bad game. Can we not just accept that generally his decision making isn’t very good?

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Turkish said:

That’s what people say every time he has a bad game. Can we not just accept that generally his decision making isn’t very good?

Without a doubt ain’t the sharpest pencil in the box never has been, papers over the cracks with the odd assist, but you watch just about every other player on the pitch and he’s a friggin passenger 99% of the time by comparison.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Nemi said:

I missed the game today so can’t judge today’s performance, but I think this thread shows how over the top reactions can get: people were praising him a few days ago, and now they are murdering him again.

Redmond is an acceptable player for PL level, he’s not gonna to produce every game that’s just the reality of playing in such a high quality league. It doesn’t help that a lot of his contributions come off the ball, which are inevitably missed. I hope we can improve on him, because it’s possible, but people really do overreact to everything he does.

You see, I dont get this. He really isnt an acceptable player for the premier league for the reasons that I mentioned on this thread two days ago. Im not someone who flipflops on my opinion of him also. Hes a winger who can't beat a defender. Who can't finish a one on one. He goes half heartedly into challenges,  but to be honest, the list goes on, but the one thing, the one thing that constantly stands out, the one thing that i believe makes the difference between the premier league and the leagues below, is the decision making and he nearly always chooses the wrong decision. Out of evetything that I see in a top flight game,  thats one of the things that i find most unforgivable,  especially by someone of his experience. Watch yesterdays game ( itll be the same as most of his for the past 18 months). He was frustratingly appalling,  and Id also like to add that I played the game to semi pro level ( Im no Pep) but I know a little bit of what Im talking about. Hes not a premier league player anymore.

  • Like 8
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Turkish said:

That’s what people say every time he has a bad game. Can we not just accept that generally his decision making isn’t very good?

His decision making is never great, but when he's out of confidence it gets much, much worse. It's like he over thinks things instead of being decisive, then makes the wrong decision anyway.

When he's confident, he takes his opponent on and tends to run at them before thinking about it. When he's out of form he just ends up dallying on the ball then giving it away anyway. I think that we're mostly building attacks down the right and that is making that problem even worse as he doesn't have an overlapping fullback supporting him to help him get into 1v1 situations.

He's been here five seasons now, and for two of them (the season he arrived and two years back) he was reasonably good. During the times he plays well he trusted Bertrand to back him up and offer an attacking threat on the same wing. This season, that's not happened and Redmond's game has suffered for it.

I think this is his worst season by far and he shouldn't be starting at the moment, but I also think he's not really being helped out by the way we're set up.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

If he's as shocking and useless as everyone makes out why does he get picked so much? The way people go on about him you'd have thought that the manager might have noticed and he'd be nowhere near the team. Yesterday we had Djenepo, Walcott and Tella who can play in the same position as him sat on the bench.

Hasenhuttl obviously rates him more than the fans. If you want to compare player stats then go ahead. Redmond has a better passing accuracy, creates more big chances (6, Walcott has 1 and Djenepo none) and has had more shots on target.

I don't love Redmond and find him frustrating at times however he gets far too much unnecessary abuse from fans.

He has been ok for us. Not great, not terrible. Definitely doesn't deserve some of comments hurled at him though.

 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, The Cat said:

If he's as shocking and useless as everyone makes out why does he get picked so much? The way people go on about him you'd have thought that the manager might have noticed and he'd be nowhere near the team. Yesterday we had Djenepo, Walcott and Tella who can play in the same position as him sat on the bench.

Hasenhuttl obviously rates him more than the fans. If you want to compare player stats then go ahead. Redmond has a better passing accuracy, creates more big chances (6, Walcott has 1 and Djenepo none) and has had more shots on target.

I don't love Redmond and find him frustrating at times however he gets far too much unnecessary abuse from fans.

He has been ok for us. Not great, not terrible. Definitely doesn't deserve some of comments hurled at him though.

 

If you saw the interview with Ralph when Redmond signed his new contract, got the impression Ralph is a bit scared of Nathan’s Mum 😳🤪

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Pilchards said:

I don’t blame Redmond for producing another crap performance. I blame the manager who just can’t see how poor he is at the moment.

Honestly he makes my blood boil when he messes up the most simplest of things.

This

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, The Cat said:

If he's as shocking and useless as everyone makes out why does he get picked so much? The way people go on about him you'd have thought that the manager might have noticed and he'd be nowhere near the team. Yesterday we had Djenepo, Walcott and Tella who can play in the same position as him sat on the bench.

Hasenhuttl obviously rates him more than the fans. If you want to compare player stats then go ahead. Redmond has a better passing accuracy, creates more big chances (6, Walcott has 1 and Djenepo none) and has had more shots on target.

I don't love Redmond and find him frustrating at times however he gets far too much unnecessary abuse from fans.

He has been ok for us. Not great, not terrible. Definitely doesn't deserve some of comments hurled at him though.

 

Probably out of hope that he has that 1 good game in 10 he’s got in him.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/05/2021 at 08:42, The Cat said:

If he's as shocking and useless as everyone makes out why does he get picked so much? The way people go on about him you'd have thought that the manager might have noticed and he'd be nowhere near the team. Yesterday we had Djenepo, Walcott and Tella who can play in the same position as him sat on the bench.

Hasenhuttl obviously rates him more than the fans. If you want to compare player stats then go ahead. Redmond has a better passing accuracy, creates more big chances (6, Walcott has 1 and Djenepo none) and has had more shots on target.

I don't love Redmond and find him frustrating at times however he gets far too much unnecessary abuse from fans.

He has been ok for us. Not great, not terrible. Definitely doesn't deserve some of comments hurled at him though.

 

There was an interview with Bertrand and Ings about a month ago. One of the questions that came up was who is the teacher's pet. Redmond came up top of the list. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Im still a fan of Nathan and feel he gets unjustly criticised by fans. He curled in a shot the other day, the keeper dived to save it and pushed it away, fans said he should have scored 5 minutes later an almost same shot was done by one of the fans favourites and it was oooooo unlucky.

Whilst I agree he can infuriate, he still is involved in many chances we create. After the game Saturday I was listening to Solent and Blackmore said that he said Nathan didnt have a good game but not having an overlapping full back made his life difficult as his options were reduced.

Anyway Im still delighted he is playing for us and hope it carries on.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I also note that listening to the brilliant Totalsaints podcast ( if you dont listen you really should, and also become a Patron) one of the contributors who also does a fantastic blog, gave Nathan 1 out of 10 for the Fulham game. Totally unwarranted when he gave Minamino 3. Its fine to have an opinion, but to be so warped and unfair is very wrong.

We need to be balanced with criticism and not kick one of our squad so viciously.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, OldNick said:

I also note that listening to the brilliant Totalsaints podcast ( if you dont listen you really should, and also become a Patron) one of the contributors who also does a fantastic blog, gave Nathan 1 out of 10 for the Fulham game. Totally unwarranted when he gave Minamino 3. Its fine to have an opinion, but to be so warped and unfair is very wrong.

We need to be balanced with criticism and not kick one of our squad so viciously.

You've been around long enough to know that our players are only allowed one poor game before the abuse kicks in. Diallo is the latest target. There is no way back for Redmond. Only Forster has managed to retrieve some measure of respect but he had to leave for a couple of years to do so.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Charlie Wayman said:

You've been around long enough to know that our players are only allowed one poor game before the abuse kicks in. Diallo is the latest target. There is no way back for Redmond. Only Forster has managed to retrieve some measure of respect but he had to leave for a couple of years to do so.

Sadly you are correct. Whatever he does they will hide back into the their shell and when a chance comes they come back in force to spit their bile. I havent seen the Diallo stuff but that just shows how dense some are. I still recall the disagreements I had with fans over MLT !!! who said he was a luxury player etc etc, that was before he really hit his vein of form,the same can be said of Crouch, fans wont have it but he was booed as he used to come on for us!! Shame there isnt the posts from Saintsforever? the former forum to this where you can see the numbskulls saying how bad he was.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

People are too black and white about these things. Redmond is a great depth option for a club of our size who gets played too much because Theo and Minimino have both been pretty average, Armstrong is needed in midfield, Tella  is our only good youth product, is pretty average as a 10 and much better as a forward, and Djenepo hasn't really kicked on. With any luck we won't need Stu as a 6 and we can sign another attacking mid and Redmond won't be needed as much. He's definitely not shit and I'm happy to have him in our squad, he just isn't good enough to start for a top half side, which is fine.

I will say Redmond starting over Adams up top drove me mad, but fortunately that period seems to have come to an end.

Edited by TWar
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TWar said:

People are too black and white about these things. Redmond is a great depth option for a club of our size who gets played too much because Theo and Minimino have both been pretty average, Armstrong is needed in midfield, Tella  is our only good youth product, is pretty average as a 10 and much better as a forward, and Djenepo hasn't really kicked on. With any luck we won't need Stu as a 6 and we can sign another attacking mid and Redmond won't be needed as much. He's definitely not shit and I'm happy to have him in our squad, he just isn't good enough to start for a top half side, which is fine.

I will say Redmond starting over Adams up top drove me mad, but fortunately that period seems to have come to an end.

Hes not a depth option though is he, he starts pretty much every game he's available. If he was coming off the bench or playing when others were out you might have a point.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

You've been around long enough to know that our players are only allowed one poor game before the abuse kicks in. Diallo is the latest target. There is no way back for Redmond. Only Forster has managed to retrieve some measure of respect but he had to leave for a couple of years to do so.

I really disagree here. My judgement on Redmond is based on the the five seasons he has been here.  I think it is far more knee jerk for people to think he's good because he curls a shot marginally wide, or hammers a championship opponent. Over a large sample of time, his output has been really poor.

The Bournemouth game was presented as 'Redmond is back, watch how good he is with confidence!'. Since then he has added a goal and 2 assists in 7 EPL games, and managed to stand out as extra poor in amongst a bunch of poor players in the FA Cup Semi-Final. 

But actually, I think a telling indicator of his level is where he gets the goals and assists. Bearing in mind, his output is already low to begin with, he is mainly doing better against the poorer sides (all goals and assists from EPL)

image.png.bd59c405ff0c5fc4eff081da42f8fc3a.png

His numbers this season would be okay if he was a nipper. But he is now a 27 year old footballer with over 150 appearances for us, and over 200 EPL appearances. He is not going to suddenly kick on from here.  I would love to see someone like Djenepo be given a run around. Maybe he's not good enough either, but he deserves his chance. Tella obviously as well. 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think currently redmond is in the team purely for defensive purposes at the moment as Betrand/Stephens sit back as KWP attacks so as they squeeze over to the right he's there to breakdown counter attacks down that side.

Expect competition to be Moussa/Nathan next year if he doesnt get moved on.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, sydney_saint said:

I really disagree here. My judgement on Redmond is based on the the five seasons he has been here.  I think it is far more knee jerk for people to think he's good because he curls a shot marginally wide, or hammers a championship opponent. Over a large sample of time, his output has been really poor.

The Bournemouth game was presented as 'Redmond is back, watch how good he is with confidence!'. Since then he has added a goal and 2 assists in 7 EPL games, and managed to stand out as extra poor in amongst a bunch of poor players in the FA Cup Semi-Final. 

But actually, I think a telling indicator of his level is where he gets the goals and assists. Bearing in mind, his output is already low to begin with, he is mainly doing better against the poorer sides (all goals and assists from EPL)

image.png.bd59c405ff0c5fc4eff081da42f8fc3a.png

His numbers this season would be okay if he was a nipper. But he is now a 27 year old footballer with over 150 appearances for us, and over 200 EPL appearances. He is not going to suddenly kick on from here.  I would love to see someone like Djenepo be given a run around. Maybe he's not good enough either, but he deserves his chance. Tella obviously as well. 

I notice the figures above, it says no goals v Bournemouth!! I thought he was part of Ings goal V Liverpool. Assists are fine if they find an in form goalscorer who scores but assists are not shown if the attempt is missed, that does skew the stats. Messi would get no assists some seasons with the profligate goalscorers we have had (Apart from Danny)

Im not pitting one player against another but as with all stats you can pick and choose but whilst SA could be said to have better stats they are not a lot different ( Nathan has had 4 less games)

Nathan Redmond Statistics | Premier League 

Stuart Armstrong Statistics | Premier League

Both are integral IMo but perhaps I have a more balanced view than some ( or wrong)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, OldNick said:

I notice the figures above, it says no goals v Bournemouth!! I thought he was part of Ings goal V Liverpool. Assists are fine if they find an in form goalscorer who scores but assists are not shown if the attempt is missed, that does skew the stats. Messi would get no assists some seasons with the profligate goalscorers we have had (Apart from Danny)

Im not pitting one player against another but as with all stats you can pick and choose but whilst SA could be said to have better stats they are not a lot different ( Nathan has had 4 less games)

Nathan Redmond Statistics | Premier League 

Stuart Armstrong Statistics | Premier League

Both are integral IMo but perhaps I have a more balanced view than some ( or wrong)

I can't see where he scored against Bournemouth in the league, or where he got an assist against Liverpool? I get the point on assists (and sometimes the opposite happens when you get one with little work or an astonishing finish like Ings), but Redmond has played enough game to have got more.

Though you are getting a bit silly comparing Armstrong to Redmond. This is from March, can't be bothered to update it. Takes their entire Saints career. Done by minutes, as appearances can be very misleading if a player keeps coming off the bench and another always plays 90. 

Redmond- 11,841'- 19 goals, 13 assists

Armstrong- 4,886'- 11 goals, 8 assists

Che Adams - 3,020'- 8 goals, 7 assists

Danny Ings - 6,158' - 37 goals, 8 assists

Shane Long - 9,339' - 27 goals, 20 assists

Djenepo- 1,963' - 3 goals, 2 assists

Tadic- 9,617'- 21 goals, 30 assists

Charlie Austin- 3,157'- 16 goals, 3 assists

Gabbiadini- 2,271'- 10 goals, 0 assists

Obafemi- 813'- 4 goals, 3 assists

Boufal - 3,072' - 3 goals, 4 assists

Edited by sydney_saint
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/05/2021 at 07:19, Jeremy said:

The trademark of all very good sportspeople is composure. Maybe Redmond's lost that.

Honestly can't ever remember him having it in the first place. Loses the ball way too much. Doesn't score enough.  (check out that early slice shot yesterday into row z) Moans at his teammates too much. I think (though obvs don't know, I know) a destabilising factor. We will be a far more balanced side when/if we can move him on. All just my opinion, of course.

(awaits usual suspects)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, sydney_saint said:

I can't see where he scored against Bournemouth in the league, or where he got an assist against Liverpool? I get the point on assists (and sometimes the opposite happens when you get one with little work or an astonishing finish like Ings), but Redmond has played enough game to have got more.

Though you are getting a bit silly comparing Armstrong to Redmond. This is from March, can't be bothered to update it. Takes their entire Saints career. Done by minutes, as appearances can be very misleading if a player keeps coming off the bench and another always plays 90. 

Redmond- 11,841'- 19 goals, 13 assists

Armstrong- 4,886'- 11 goals, 8 assists

Che Adams - 3,020'- 8 goals, 7 assists

Danny Ings - 6,158' - 37 goals, 8 assists

Shane Long - 9,339' - 27 goals, 20 assists

Djenepo- 1,963' - 3 goals, 2 assists

Tadic- 9,617'- 21 goals, 30 assists

Charlie Austin- 3,157'- 16 goals, 3 assists

Gabbiadini- 2,271'- 10 goals, 0 assists

Obafemi- 813'- 4 goals, 3 assists

Boufal - 3,072' - 3 goals, 4 assists

I was just making a comparison for this season, Redmond gets caned but Armstrong gets plaudits and there is little between them stat wise. Sorry the Bournemouth one was in the cup, I know in the Ings goal he palyed a part but cant recall what he did, come to think of it he was praised for blocking a Liverpool defender

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, sydney_saint said:

I can't see where he scored against Bournemouth in the league, or where he got an assist against Liverpool? I get the point on assists (and sometimes the opposite happens when you get one with little work or an astonishing finish like Ings), but Redmond has played enough game to have got more.

Though you are getting a bit silly comparing Armstrong to Redmond. This is from March, can't be bothered to update it. Takes their entire Saints career. Done by minutes, as appearances can be very misleading if a player keeps coming off the bench and another always plays 90. 

Redmond- 11,841'- 19 goals, 13 assists

Armstrong- 4,886'- 11 goals, 8 assists

Che Adams - 3,020'- 8 goals, 7 assists

Danny Ings - 6,158' - 37 goals, 8 assists

Shane Long - 9,339' - 27 goals, 20 assists

Djenepo- 1,963' - 3 goals, 2 assists

Tadic- 9,617'- 21 goals, 30 assists

Charlie Austin- 3,157'- 16 goals, 3 assists

Gabbiadini- 2,271'- 10 goals, 0 assists

Obafemi- 813'- 4 goals, 3 assists

Boufal - 3,072' - 3 goals, 4 assists

Tadic really was a machine for us and still is for Ajax

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, DT said:

Honestly can't ever remember him having it in the first place. Loses the ball way too much. Doesn't score enough.  (check out that early slice shot yesterday into row z) Moans at his teammates too much. I think (though obvs don't know, I know) a destabilising factor. We will be a far more balanced side when/if we can move him on. All just my opinion, of course.

(awaits usual suspects)

Probably time for him to return to his spiritual home of Carrow Road next season.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, OldNick said:

I was just making a comparison for this season, Redmond gets caned but Armstrong gets plaudits and there is little between them stat wise. Sorry the Bournemouth one was in the cup, I know in the Ings goal he palyed a part but cant recall what he did, come to think of it he was praised for blocking a Liverpool defender

Are their stats that similar? Armstrong is beating Redmond in nearly every single one. 24 vs 36 passes per game (and we know from the eye Armstrong passes it forward far more), crossing accuracy way higher for Armstrong, more goals, more assists, better defensive numbers.

Redmond wins some pretty meaningless ones, like shooting accuracy. The only meaningful stat he wins is big chances created, which is pretty subjective anyway.

All it confirms is what the eye shows anyway. Armstrong is a much better player which is why he gets plaudits. Anyone watching knows Redmond is cowardly with the ball, berates team mates, misses big chances, and just isn't very good. The stats kinda back all of that up. Perfectly fine for a team aiming for 30 points a season. But not good enough for us.

Edited by sydney_saint
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, OldNick said:

I was just making a comparison for this season, Redmond gets caned but Armstrong gets plaudits and there is little between them stat wise. Sorry the Bournemouth one was in the cup, I know in the Ings goal he palyed a part but cant recall what he did, come to think of it he was praised for blocking a Liverpool defender

This season Redmond has 2 goals and 3 assists in league 1620 minutes. Armstrong has 4 goals and 5 assists in 2594 league minutes. The means Redmond gets 0.11 goals per 90 and 0.16 assists per 90, which actually isn't dreadful but also isn't great. Armstrong on the other hand gets 0.14 goals per 90 and 0.17 assists per 90 so tops Redmond in both regards.

Furthermore, Redmond has played a lot of his games this season as a forward, where you would expect his stats to be better as he is closer to the goal. Armstrong has played mostly at an attacking midfielder but has also recently played as a holding midfielder. Owing to this, him having better goal scoring and better assist stats than Redmond is all the more impressive.

People also rate Armstrong because of his ability to progress play, his safety on the ball, and his positivity, all of which can be proven statistically should you have the inclination.

Edited by TWar
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Probably time for him to return to his spiritual home of Carrow Road next season.

I think that would be a very good outcome. Or to Birmingham...

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, sydney_saint said:

Are their stats that similar? Armstrong is beating Redmond in nearly every single one. 24 vs 36 passes per game (and we know from the eye Armstrong passes it forward far more), crossing accuracy way higher for Armstrong, more goals, more assists, better defensive numbers.

Redmond wins some pretty meaningless ones, like shooting accuracy. The only meaningful stat he wins is big chances created, which is pretty subjective anyway.

All it confirms is what the eye shows anyway. Armstrong is a much better player which is why he gets plaudits. Anyone watching knows Redmond is cowardly with the ball, berates team mates, misses big chances, and just isn't very good. The stats kinda back all of that up. Perfectly fine for a team aiming for 30 points a season. But not good enough for us.

As I sadi initially it wasnt putting one player against another but to show that his stats were not far away from a 'hero'.

'Pretty meaningless stats' of shooting accuracy and big chances created seem to be quite important but there you go. 

We are not going to change each others opinions as I believe he is a decent player for us and you dont. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, TWar said:

This season Redmond has 2 goals and 3 assists in league 1620 minutes. Armstrong has 4 goals and 5 assists in 2594 league minutes. The means Redmond gets 0.11 goals per 90 and 0.16 assists per 90, which actually isn't dreadful but also isn't great. Armstrong on the other hand gets 0.14 goals per 90 and 0.17 assists per 90 so tops Redmond in both regards.

Furthermore, Redmond has played a lot of his games this season as a forward, where you would expect his stats to be better as he is closer to the goal. Armstrong has played mostly at an attacking midfielder but has also recently played as a holding midfielder. Owing to this, him having better goal scoring and better assist stats than Redmond is all the more impressive.

People also rate Armstrong because of his ability to progress play, his safety on the ball, and his positivity, all of which can be proven statistically should you have the inclination.

In very simple terms, Armstrong always puts in a shift, Redmond almost never does. If Redmond cares about moving up the fans popularity stakes, then it would go a very long way if he was seen to be trying, really hard, even if it wasn't coming off for him.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, OldNick said:

DT when you are against a player I know Im right lol 

Touché

Interestingly (ish) Armstrong's stats on Fantasy Football (for what it's worth) are almost double those of ol' lose-the-ball Nathan R. Armstrong is a fine footballer, and, it struck me, almost the epitome of what Ralph likes - superb engine, gets up and down, transitions well, tackles, and scores goals. Redmond has, erm. Not so much.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, DT said:

Touché

Interestingly (ish) Armstrong's stats on Fantasy Football (for what it's worth) are almost double those of ol' lose-the-ball Nathan R. Armstrong is a fine footballer, and, it struck me, almost the epitome of what Ralph likes - superb engine, gets up and down, transitions well, tackles, and scores goals. Redmond has, erm. Not so much.

I regret putting up the comparison as it has people comparing the 2 when all I wanted to do was show that Nathan was not far behind one of our better players this season.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Stats are fun but watching players really does form your opinion.

Just watched a vid and some amusing stats:

- Zidane & Giggs = 7 goals per season average

 -Bergkamp = 10 goals a season at Arsenal

They would all be crap in the Is Che Adams good enough thread as well

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

In all seriousness I think the problem with Redmond is his 'looseness' with the ball. His retention always seems poor, and is a major flaw in the way RH wants to play. It often seems to break down with him.

1 minute ago, Convict Colony said:

Stats are fun but watching players really does form your opinion.

Just watched a vid and some amusing stats:

- Zidane & Giggs = 7 goals per season average

 -Bergkamp = 10 goals a season at Arsenal

They would all be crap in the Is Che Adams good enough thread as well

 

Zidane is awful. Can't even get on the bench at the moment.

😉

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/05/2021 at 21:53, Saint Billy said:

Happily I am in the 10% group and I can categorically state that Redmond is a great player.

Whew, I was wondering who the one person was.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Medrurkin said:

Whew, I was wondering who the one person was.

It was sarcasm, but I actually do think there is a good player in there somewhere but for some reason it only manifests itself once or twice a season. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, OldNick said:

Im still a fan of Nathan and feel he gets unjustly criticised by fans. He curled in a shot the other day, the keeper dived to save it and pushed it away, fans said he should have scored 5 minutes later an almost same shot was done by one of the fans favourites and it was oooooo unlucky.

Whilst I agree he can infuriate, he still is involved in many chances we create. After the game Saturday I was listening to Solent and Blackmore said that he said Nathan didnt have a good game but not having an overlapping full back made his life difficult as his options were reduced.

Anyway Im still delighted he is playing for us and hope it carries on.

But surely being a winger, you shouldn't rely on an overlapping fullback to beat the player infront of you ?......or does he need to keep recycling the ball from the 18 yrd line back to the halfway line due to lack of confidence?........hes a well paid professional footballer that just lacks conviction to get it wrong and takes the easy option.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, OldNick said:

I also note that listening to the brilliant Totalsaints podcast ( if you dont listen you really should, and also become a Patron) one of the contributors who also does a fantastic blog, gave Nathan 1 out of 10 for the Fulham game. Totally unwarranted when he gave Minamino 3. Its fine to have an opinion, but to be so warped and unfair is very wrong.

We need to be balanced with criticism and not kick one of our squad so viciously.

You're right. 1 out of 10 is too harsh. 2 out of 10 perhaps would've been fairer. He was shocking against Fulham and has been all season except in one game against a Championship defence. 

Not hating on the guy, just stating reality. 

Edited by niceandfriendly
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, niceandfriendly said:

You're right. 1 out of 10 is too harsh. 2 out of 10 perhaps would've been fairer. He was shocking against Fulham and has been all season except in one game against a Championship defence. 

Not hating on the guy, just stating reality. 

Is that you Theo?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})