Any love for Redmond?

whelk

3 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Do you really believe Claude Puel, Mark Hughes and Pelligrino, all combative players, plus the present manager (who I don’t know what was like as a player), let a player get away with “faking it”? Do you believe that all his team mates for the past few years have let him stand around “watching like he’s got a season ticket”.

Of course they don’t, you’re writing pony. 

All those very successful Saints Managers and players? A bit suprised you didn’t call me Pal. 

22 minutes ago, Saintelsewhere said:

All those very successful Saints Managers and players? A bit suprised you didn’t call me Pal. 

All three were very very good players, all three were extremely competitive. If you think they’ll let a player fake it, you’re deluded. Still what do they know about what’s needed to perform at the top level? 

11 hours ago, sydney_saint said:

He is not good enough. This isn't a nipper with room to improve, this is a (nearly) 27 year old with over 200 EPL appearances. This is him. If you take a look at our key forward players over the last five years, his output is comparatively terrible

Redmond- 11,841'- 19 goals, 13 assists

Armstrong- 4,886'- 11 goals, 8 assists

Che Adams - 3,020'- 8 goals, 7 assists

Danny Ings - 6,158' - 37 goals, 8 assists

Shane Long - 9,339' - 27 goals, 20 assists

Djenepo- 1,963' - 3 goals, 2 assists

Tadic- 9,617'- 21 goals, 30 assists

Charlie Auston- 3,157'- 16 goals, 3 assists

Gabbiadini- 2,271'- 10 goals, 0 assists

Obafemi- 813'- 4 goals, 3 assists

Boufal - 3,072' - 3 goals, 4 assists

These are the most telling stats for me. Shane long getting more assists than a player who is supposed to be a provider in over 2000 less minutes?

Get rid in the summer. Doesn't offer us too much at all. Could get 10m or so from a promoted team if lucky, esp if we send a 2 min youtube vid of his best moments since joining us...might have to do a few slow mo replays though to fill the minutes out.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, whelk said:

From my WhatsApp, Twitter and here, and of course what saw with my own eyes, there must be consensus that he is woeful and shouldn’t be in the team?

Is there anyone who thinks he should start? All the love in here for Ralph but cannot recall any player being so universally unpopular and shit with only the manager being blinded to what is clear to everyone else..

Jermaine Wright and George Burley spring to mind 🤣

Redmond needs a break from the team, and he genuinely could do with the help of a sports psychologist as he is trying too hard and its affecting his game. Seems so desperate to impress that it’s just resulting in mistakes.

• Like 1

He had a few good games the first season when he arrived but nothing since, he is 27 in a few days & what you see is what you get now I.e repeated bad decisions & constant losing of posession, he isn't going to miraculously improve from any kind of coaching as he never had a football brain to begin with, I thank him for his contribution to the club but it's best for both parties if he moves on, would be a no brainer to get him off the wage bill.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mr X said:

He had a few good games the first season when he arrived but nothing since, 

He won players player & supporters player of the year in his third season. I understand people think he’s pretty useless, I think so myself, but let’s stick to facts and not let blind hatred warp the discussion. He did ok the first season & was decent a couple of seasons back (hence his awards). To say he’s “done nothing “ since his first season is pony. 

• Like 2

I used to rate him when he ran at players at pressed them into making mistakes. Now he is increasingly back to the old 'get the ball in space, stop, look around, get tackled, moan' mentality of old. He is everyone wrong with the team at the moment - few poor decisions and bad results and his confidence is completely destroyed to the point where he might as well not bother being on the pitch.

That said, if the top opposite corner of the goal was a metre higher and wider he'd have doubled his goals tally for us...

16 hours ago, Saintelsewhere said:

I think the best way to describe his football is:  Cowardly.

His whole game is based on giving a maximum of 70% (I’m being kind)  to each and every single aspect of play. 

I have not disliked a player so much since Danny Fox’s display on our return to the Premier League, fortunately his tenure at that level only lasted a few months whereas Redmond has been faking it for 4/5 seasons - although it feels like 10.

If you watch him in isolation, Redmond often stands and ball watches- maybe he has a season ticket -when he should be making space to recieve a ball or staying with the man he is marking.

What I find incredible is that his Managers and teammates let him get away with his lack of effort and ability whilst also putting up with him moaning at them. A good Captain would have sorted, or more likely shifted, him ages ago, unfortunately Saints just haven’t had that leader since he’s been with us.

Danny Fox was a key part of our championship team. He wasn't good enough for the Premier league but that's how it is, why you would dislike a player for that is weird but then so are your claims a player has been faking it for 5 seasons. 

23 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Danny Fox was a key part of our championship team. He wasn't good enough for the Premier league but that's how it is, why you would dislike a player for that is weird but then so are your claims a player has been faking it for 5 seasons. 

Agree with this completely. I never once questioned Fox's commitment or him trying to get better. He just wasn't good enough. Same with Hooiveld. He tried, but was never going to be an EPL player.

5 hours ago, Mr X said:

He had a few good games the first season when he arrived but nothing since

That is nonsense.

He joined in 2016.

As recently as 2019 Redmond won the fan's and player's player of the season...

https://www.southamptonfc.com/news/2019-05-07/player-awards-round-up-southampton-football-club-7-may-2019

Edited by Matthew Le God

Shows what we were like that season.

I think Redders won player of the season because it more of a participation award that season as he had 36 appearances when the next player was hoj on 31.

Ings & JWP had 7 goals

Redders 6

Long 5

Using whoscored as the rating sytem both Jan and Jannik were rated better that season than redders.

I remember last season when he came off the bench at Pompey that we were all excited to have him back from injury, as he’d been so good the season before. Let’s not pretend he hasn’t had good periods for us. At the moment however, he’s going through a really bad one (not his first). I felt sorry for him on Monday, it reminded me of Hojbjerg at home to Inter - just playing so bad he should be removed for his own benefit. But if the manager keeps playing him, that’s not his fault. 

6 minutes ago, Master Bates said:

Playing for Jamaica?!?

If he wants to play International football it's probably his best chance tbh. Cant see him getting back into the England reckoning.

Not sure if/how you can change alliance when you've already featured at senior level for England though.

His best ever game for us imo was the first leg of the League Cup semi against Liverpool...................and he missed 2 sitters in that.  He's been alright in patches, in fact had a season of looking pretty good in a thoroughly shit team. He's scored the odd good goal, there's clearly ability there but overall he's just fucking annoying because he simply doesn't show it enough and hasn't ever kicked on. I also think he'd be even worse right now if there were crowds in the stadium because they would be right on his back. 

Edited by stknowle
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

If he wants to play International football it's probably his best chance tbh. Cant see him getting back into the England reckoning.

Not sure if/how you can change alliance when you've already featured at senior level for England though.

He can if he hasn't played in a competitive match. His only cap was a friendly against Germany. Came on for someone calle Lallana?

By far the most frustrating thing about Nathan "Thierry" Redmond, is that somewhere in there are the raw attributes of a decent player. They just only seem to all come together into an acceptable level of performance once every seven games or so, if I'm being generous.

We signed him as a relatively young player, as we often do with that inticing elixir of "the potential to improve". He simply hasn't fulfilled it.

In both his playing position and his responsibility as a senior pro, he is the kind of player we are looking to, to make things happen. To take a game by the scruff of the neck, to be a creative force, to drive at defences and cause panic. But the only panic he regularly causes is in Saints fans seeing his name is once again on the team sheet. One dire performance after another. 

What on earth does the guy have to do to get dropped?

Every once in a while, he still seems capable of turning it on, albeit in brief flashes. Against Chelsea, credit where it's due, he chipped in with that fantastic through ball assist for Minamino, and on at least one occasion actually beat a man on the outside, made it to the byline, and managed to get the ball into the danger area.

Which sums up his biggest issues for me. Absolute inconsistency, and a complete lack of basic footballing intelligence. All too often, whatever is the potential worst choice in any given scenario -- guaranteed he'll take that one. If he was any thicker, he would set.

Just not cut out for the level we need unfortunately. But it's not his fault he keeps being selected, despite turning in a succession of abject displays. Needs taking out of the firing line immediately. Tella has earned a chance, and at the end of the day, the way Redmond is playing, he can't do any worse.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Rivers said:

By far the most frustrating thing about Nathan "Thierry" Redmond, is that somewhere in there are the raw attributes of a decent player. They just only seem to all come together into an acceptable level of performance once every seven games or so, if I'm being generous.

We signed him as a relatively young player, as we often do with that inticing elixir of "the potential to improve". He simply hasn't fulfilled it.

In both his playing position and his responsibility as a senior pro, he is the kind of player we are looking to, to make things happen. To take a game by the scruff of the neck, to be a creative force, to drive at defences and cause panic. But the only panic he regularly causes is in Saints fans seeing his name is once again on the team sheet. One dire performance after another. 

What on earth does the guy have to do to get dropped?

Every once in a while, he still seems capable of turning it on, albeit in brief flashes. Against Chelsea, credit where it's due, he chipped in with that fantastic through ball assist for Minamino, and on at least one occasion actually beat a man on the outside, made it to the byline, and managed to get the ball into the danger area.

Which sums up his biggest issues for me. Absolute inconsistency, and a complete lack of basic footballing intelligence. All too often, whatever is the potential worst choice in any given scenario -- guaranteed he'll take that one. If he was any thicker, he would set.

Just not cut out for the level we need unfortunately. But it's not his fault he keeps being selected, despite turning in a succession of abject displays. Needs taking out of the firing line immediately. Tella has earned a chance, and at the end of the day, the way Redmond is playing, he can't do any worse.

Doesn't deserve such a long post.

• Haha 1

Jamaican football federation is trying to convince these players to play for them:

Ivan Toney
Mason Holgate
Andre Gray
Demarai Gray
Max Aarons
Liam Moore
Kemar Roofe
Nathan Redmond
Isaac Hayden

Redmond is keen on the idea to try and get in their World Cup squad. 
he’s only ever played in one friendly for the full England side. 
barring U17s etc. 

Awful player. Never have rated him, would sooner have a youth player in the squad over him. I'd play one of our keepers outfield ahead of him he really is that bad. He had one good season . What we see week in week out is his level, anything above that is a blip an anomaly.

Bizarrely I think we'd actually get a reasonable price for him though his knows why. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, saintadjg said:

Awful player. Never have rated him, would sooner have a youth player in the squad over him. I'd play one of our keepers outfield ahead of him he really is that bad. He had one good season . What we see week in week out is his level, anything above that is a blip an anomaly.

Bizarrely I think we'd actually get a reasonable price for him though his knows why. 

Maybe the returning Norwich will fork out a 8 -10 million fee for their prodigal son.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, saintadjg said:

You clearly don't like him and that's your perogative but to say you would rather play a goalkeeper ahead just makes you look a bit of an idiot.

He isn't brilliant but he's ok and sometimes good, at the moment he is very low in confidence like most of the team are so let's hope the team return to the confidence they have shown earlier in season because this will help him and in turn help turn the tide for us

Edited by Chapel End

On 07/03/2021 at 20:23, S-Clarke said:

Someone mentioned Lookman on another thread. If we could sell Redmond and bring in Lookman I'd take that, massive upgrade imo.

That would be a dream result.  Lookman in.........Redmond back to Norwich (or anywhere else).

• Like 1

10 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

His impact as a sub at the weekend was probably the worst I've ever seen from a professional.

What is the point of having him on the bench if that's all he can muster?

His very first touch after coming on was to try some fancy flick that went straight to there midfielder on the halfway line and they broke on us 

Edited by danjosaint

My view is that he lacks the basic speed to unsettle Premiership defences, the nous to release the ball consistently to a Saints player, a shot that is often little more than a scuff and a non-existent heading ability. Other than that he's not bad.

• Like 3

When Ralph talks about players bot executing his style I always think of Redmond. 
Theo, when fit, and Armstrong will turn and make headway forwards after picking up the ball. Do they lose it? Often. But we go forwards. KWP is the same albeit from a different role. None of these players feels the need to endlessly roll their foot over the ball a couple of time then roll it back and give it to Bertrand. 
Redmond did actually turn, run and shoot against city, once, and it got us the corner from which we won a penalty (I think). But that’s the only time he’s done it in recent memory.

• Like 2

On 07/03/2021 at 10:23, S-Clarke said:

Someone mentioned Lookman on another thread. If we could sell Redmond and bring in Lookman I'd take that, massive upgrade imo.

I think they're much the same, inconsistent and very little return for their place in the team.

With each passing game I like him less. He's everything that's wrong about our team at the moment.

1) Never brave enough to take a chance and sprint into the box to tempt a trip or set up a chance

2) As soon as he gets the ball he stops. It's pass and move, not pass and wait for the other team to reorganize

3) His shooting is absolutely abysmal. Frequently basing over or just muffing it straight to the keeper

4) His passing is atrocious frequently passing straight to a defender when he has wide open team-mates.

5) Also, he doesn't appear to understand the value in a lead pass, playing the ball into space for someone to run onto. When his passes don't find an opposing player they are either behind or straight at a team-mate, killing moves stone dead.

6) He's moaning at his own team-mates but having a chit chat and a laugh with the oppo.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

When he came on against Brighton his performance reminded me of Churchill’s quote about the Anzio landings.

"I had hoped we were hurling a wildcat into the shore, but all we got was a stranded whale."

Swap a whale for a jellyfish then it'd be spot on

• Like 1

On 03/03/2021 at 15:11, Matthew Le God said:

That is nonsense.

He joined in 2016.

As recently as 2019 Redmond won the fan's and player's player of the season...

https://www.southamptonfc.com/news/2019-05-07/player-awards-round-up-southampton-football-club-7-may-2019

This, lots here with short memories.

He's had injuries, and like any human being he has off days, but he's a decent footballer.

• Like 1