Any love for Redmond?

whelk

49 minutes ago, Danbert said:

This, lots here with short memories.

He's had injuries, and like any human being he has off days, but he's a decent footballer.

And some of us with even longer memories remember that most of the time he has been with us he has been poor. I'm gonna repost this, because I think it tells the story of Redmond. No attacking player has been given as many chances as him over the last 5 years or so. And our return for how much we have played him has been woeful. You stick most championship attacking players in our side and play them regularly, and I bet most of them would still have a better return than Redmond. 

Redmond- 11,841'- 19 goals, 13 assists

Armstrong- 4,886'- 11 goals, 8 assists

Che Adams - 3,020'- 8 goals, 7 assists

Danny Ings - 6,158' - 37 goals, 8 assists

Shane Long - 9,339' - 27 goals, 20 assists

Djenepo- 1,963' - 3 goals, 2 assists

Tadic- 9,617'- 21 goals, 30 assists

Charlie Auston- 3,157'- 16 goals, 3 assists

Gabbiadini- 2,271'- 10 goals, 0 assists

Obafemi- 813'- 4 goals, 3 assists

Boufal - 3,072' - 3 goals, 4 assists

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Chapel End said:

I know Redmond has not been great for us very often but this thread is getting a bit much now, we have all got the message now, we know some of you loathe him but it's time to give it a rest 

Loathing doesnt come into it, its pure frustration. All he needs to do is put in a shift, even if things don't come off for him the flack will massively reduce.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Nor Charlie George come to that

It wasn't starting it he had a problem with, just turning it off when it got blocked and he turned it over to clear the blockage!

"One man went to mow, one man went to mow a meadow", and "Charlie Charlie, give us a wave!" the opposition fans had some banter with those.

On 18/03/2021 at 12:49, Danbert said:

This, lots here with short memories.

He's had injuries, and like any human being he has off days, but he's a decent footballer.

Yep, agree with this. 

Clearly a confidence player and at the moment he has none and isn’t playing well, but the reaction on here is ridiculous. 

Technical Ability wise, he’s probably one of our best players, he doesn’t show it enough, pretty much as Pep said to him. 

That being said, he’s played under some pretty average managers who’ve probably wrecked his confidence. 

He’s very much our level of a bottom Half PL player. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, verlaine1979 said:

FFS he's going to be dining out on the fact that Guardiola once spoke to him for the rest of his career.

Wasn’t it Pellegrino who was the manager when Pep had the chat? Two mangers on he still does the same thing,‘maybe it’s not the manager that is the issue?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Viking Saint said:

But have the horrible feeling he'll be starting today.....

Eight outfield players pretty much pick themselves. With Minamino cup-tied, the remaining slots will almost certainly be filled by two from Tella, Redmond & Djenepo (doubt Nlundulu would be considered for a start), so I guess there is a reasonable chance that Redmond could start today.

18 minutes ago, CamSaint said:

Eight outfield players pretty much pick themselves. With Minamino cup-tied, the remaining slots will almost certainly be filled by two from Tella, Redmond & Djenepo (doubt Nlundulu would be considered for a start), so I guess there is a reasonable chance that Redmond could start today.

plus the fact that he seems to have something on Ralph as he kept getting picked even when we had a full squad to choose from. Would much rather see Tella start. Granted, he didn't play well last week (but then who did?), but he's offered far more in the games he's played.

42 minutes ago, Avenue_Saint said:

I would love for him and Stephens to be sold. 

There won’t be any mass rehabilitation for either player after all these years. Both have deep inherent flaws. A potential liability for the team in any given game.

Added to the fact that Redmond is 27 years of age.

Was shocked when I Googled it, I assumed he was 24/25.

At 27, he's not going to get any better. 

I'd say we got our monies worth out of him at £10M, if we put him up for sale I'd say we'd get about £8M and if that was offered we should be taking the arm off whatever club offers it.

1 hour ago, Avenue_Saint said:

There won’t be any mass rehabilitation for either player after all these years. Both have deep inherent flaws. A potential liability for the team in any given game.

We probably pay them far more than they're both worth so slim chances of them being sold. 

On 18/03/2021 at 13:41, sydney_saint said:

And some of us with even longer memories remember that most of the time he has been with us he has been poor. I'm gonna repost this, because I think it tells the story of Redmond. No attacking player has been given as many chances as him over the last 5 years or so. And our return for how much we have played him has been woeful. You stick most championship attacking players in our side and play them regularly, and I bet most of them would still have a better return than Redmond. 

Redmond- 11,841'- 19 goals, 13 assists

Armstrong- 4,886'- 11 goals, 8 assists

Che Adams - 3,020'- 8 goals, 7 assists

Danny Ings - 6,158' - 37 goals, 8 assists

Shane Long - 9,339' - 27 goals, 20 assists

Djenepo- 1,963' - 3 goals, 2 assists

Tadic- 9,617'- 21 goals, 30 assists

Charlie Auston- 3,157'- 16 goals, 3 assists

Gabbiadini- 2,271'- 10 goals, 0 assists

Obafemi- 813'- 4 goals, 3 assists

Boufal - 3,072' - 3 goals, 4 assists

Forget Redmond (I wish I could), Gabbiadini never got an assist!?

2 hours ago, Avenue_Saint said:

Stephens is our 4th choice centre half. What sort of standard do you expect for that role at a club like ours? 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

1 hour ago, notnowcato said:

WANTED: New SW Scapegoat 

Don't choke on the humble pie lads. 

Not really. My current view of him was been determined by over 150 EPL appearances for us. Not on one game of football. In the same way I won't feel vindicated when he plays shit in his next game. IF he goes on, scores goals, creates goals and has a cracking end to the season, sure, more than happy to. In fact I would genuinely be thrilled to be wrong.

But those feeling vindicated right now have either a very low bar for success, or are incredibly knee jerk. 

• Like 1

Interesting goal celebration and post match comments - seems to show fans reaction/comments does affect his game. Which begs the question why doesn't the club enlist a motivational / confidence booster coach - they are not that expensive compared to other operating costs in football. Number of other players and indeed Ralph would benefit from this also IMO

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Red said:

Interesting goal celebration and post match comments - seems to show fans reaction/comments does affect his game. Which begs the question why doesn't the club enlist a motivational / confidence booster coach - they are not that expensive compared to other operating costs in football. Number of other players and indeed Ralph would benefit from this also IMO

Of course it does. They’re humans not robots. 

Id imagine the club already do employ a physiologist but ultimately good performances and goals build confidence. 

Redmond was superb today. He is far better suited to playing through the middle as a striker. Thought he played instinctively today and was always looking to drive forward. Contrast that to when he is out wide as part of the midfield and has too long to think about what he is going to do and mainly ends up going backwards or down blind alleys. Admittedly the opposition was poor today but hope Ralph appreciates this position is where you'll get most from him. Two great finishes and an assist should do his confidence the world of good and his all round contribution was exceptional today. Can he do it more regularly against Prem opposition? Would be great to think he can.

4 minutes ago, Teddeer said:

Redmond was superb today. He is far better suited to playing through the middle as a striker. Thought he played instinctively today and was always looking to drive forward. Contrast that to when he is out wide as part of the midfield and has too long to think about what he is going to do and mainly ends up going backwards or down blind alleys. Admittedly the opposition was poor today but hope Ralph appreciates this position is where you'll get most from him. Two great finishes and an assist should do his confidence the world of good and his all round contribution was exceptional today. Can he do it more regularly against Prem opposition? Would be great to think he can.

This could be right.  I thought he was very decent away at Wolves, and pretty decent at home against Chelsea and Wolves when he was in the front 2.  I really hope he can kick on now.  He was voted Player of the Season for 2018-19, there is a quality player in there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Red said:

SirJohn Thompson would probably do it for a donation to a Foster Charity.

That was his best ever game in a Saints shirt. He has had good runs of form before but today he really was superb. Let's hope today has restored his confidence and we see him carry that form over into our remaining games. One of his problems in the past is that he's been afraid to shoot. I expect to see him looking to score more goals after that performance.

24 minutes ago, Snopper said:

We need a new scapegoat now then?

I wouldn't worry too much - plenty of prospective candidates. Bertie, Stephens, McCarthy, Adams, and ones on loan (Val, Long. Leaving out the ones we want rid of). Sure there's more I haven't thought of

Brilliant performance against lower league opposition. The biggest thing for me was in his post match interview he acknowledged that he isn't running at defenders as much as he used to and he isn't sure why he changed. 

First step to fixing a problem is admitting there is one. Hopefully this spurs him onto a run of form till the end of the season and we can finally turn a corner with him.

• Like 3