WBA vs Saints - Match Thread

SuperSAINT

Tricky game to call. If West Brom still think they have a chance to escape relegation (11 points gap and a shitty goal difference says otherwise) and buoyed on by their Chelsea win, then they will come out fighting (especially an Allardyce team although he's bitten off more than he can chew this time). However they may realise they're down now and feel deflated, not to mention we just had a decent victory against Burnley and have a cup semi to come. Even if they hit 2 points out of 3 though (16 points puts them on 37, only 5 more than Newcastle have now) I don't think it will be enough. It is probably one of those games that will end in a draw - not enough for WBA and it keeps us edging closer to that 40 point mark. Win though, and we hit 12th, so there is incentive for us too, especially going into a cup semi.

Sod it, I'm going 2-1 Saints. Let's get a Diallo goal.

Edited by SNSUN
In before anyone realises my mistake... :-)

On 08/04/2021 at 10:05, DT said:

I think Maitland-Niles is decent, and would be excellent cover for when Ward-Prowse gets injured (for it has to happen, or he is superhuman) or even if we can re-persuade him about being a defender occasionally

He rejected us in January 

1 hour ago, LiberalCommunist said:

So, today is the day the country has been waiting for. People excitedly getting ready, a buzz around the community.

Children laughing, Mum singing & Dad whistling. The end to what feels like a long wait for the country. 

MATCH DAY

You make it sound like Christmas (which is kind of a taboo subject on this forum) but I admire your enthusiasm!

Come on Saints!

2 hours ago, SKD said:

He rejected us in January 

He rejected us .... because we made it clear we wanted him to play RB. If we want him as CM, his response may be different.

However, there's also suggestions we are interested in Harry Winks and Yangel Herrera (Man City owned, loaned to Grenada as he can't get a work permit yet; so doubt we could either).

6 minutes ago, the saint in winchester said:

He rejected us .... because we made it clear we wanted him to play RB. If we want him as CM, his response may be different.

However, there's also suggestions we are interested in Harry Winks and Yangel Herrera (Man City owned, loaned to Grenada as he can't get a work permit yet; so doubt we could either).

Have the work permit rules now changed post-Brexit?

This might be the type of new opportunity that sometimes gets said

17 minutes ago, the saint in winchester said:

What’s changed since January to suggest that we all of a sudden think that he’d be a suitable CM option and best position isn’t full back?

Edited by SKD

1 hour ago, the saint in winchester said:

He also fucked us around all day on deadline day aswell.

He knew what we wanted him for and he could have said yes or no well before deadline day.

24 minutes ago, BARCELONASAINT said:

Nervous as hell about tonights game...not because i'm worried about losing but because i am really worried we don't lose any of our players to injury before next weeks semi-final.

I would like to think we have used up all our bad luck with injuries already this season, but I realise it doesn't work like that.

There’s no point in not playing because you’re worried about injuries. The whole point of having a professional football club is to play games. Holding them back would be like having a shiny luxury car in the garage and not driving it because you’re afraid of getting it scratched.

• Like 1

I could definitely see the temptation to wrap a couple of players in cotton wool for Sunday but think we’ve just got to go out with our best team to win the game. KWP was a bit rusty against Burnley so could probably do with tonight’s game to get up to speed anyway. We can’t not play him for every game after the semi if we got through, to keep him fit for the final, so might as well just take the chance.

11 minutes ago, saintwbu said:

I could definitely see the temptation to wrap a couple of players in cotton wool for Sunday but think we’ve just got to go out with our best team to win the game. KWP was a bit rusty against Burnley so could probably do with tonight’s game to get up to speed anyway. We can’t not play him for every game after the semi if we got through, to keep him fit for the final, so might as well just take the chance.

2 minutes ago, SonicBoom said:

We are at home against the second worse team in the division. We really should be beating this lot if we put in a half decent performance. Ralph needs to send them out fired up and not lethargic in the first half. 

I agree. Nothing but the best team available, and nothing but the best performance from all the players.

Imagine the humiliation and devastation to morale if we can't beat WBA. That would not be way to approach a semi final..

1 minute ago, eelpie said:

I agree. Nothing but the best team available, and nothing but the best performance from all the players.

Imagine the humiliation and devastation to morale if we can't beat WBA. That would not be way to approach a semi final..

Agreed - a strong performance and comfortable win, with key players looking sharp, and I may start to allow myself to get a bit excited for the semi final. It’s the hope that kills you!

1 hour ago, BARCELONASAINT said:

Nervous as hell about tonights game...not because i'm worried about losing but because i am really worried we don't lose any of our players to injury before next weeks semi-final.

I thought you "couldn't give a toss" about this game, and that our team didn't deserve to go to Wembley anyway?

10 minutes ago, SonicBoom said:

We are at home against the second worse team in the division. We really should be beating this lot if we put in a half decent performance. Ralph needs to send them out fired up and not lethargic in the first half. 

We're away

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, SonicBoom said:

We are away. But yes.

We should definitely be winning this one tonight, a win which would see us upto 12th in the table. Also would give us further momentum before Sundays Cup semi-final :) im expecting a couple of changes to last weekends team. Minamino will start I think as he is cup tied on Sunday. Che could come back in too. 4-1 to us tonight - Ings x2, Redmond and Minamino :) COYR

I think we'll lose this one, sorry. Half an eye on FA Cup and avoiding injuries, thinking we're safe, underestimating them and especially as they have nothing to lose. Equals home win I suspect. Would be happy with a draw and no injuries.

17 minutes ago, Totton Saint said:

Who would you drop to make room for Minamino?

Walcott, but I'd rather fit Che in to be honest with you if possible. Djenepo is also a great asset with his workrate and directness. It's a nice problem to have.

22 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Great to see.

Get the job done early so we can bring on the likes of Adams and Djenepo - if they can come on and score goal number five and six then they can stake a claim for a Wembley starting place too.

Amazing what a narrow victory at home to Burnley can do for confidence...

3 hours ago, SonicBoom said:

they just stuffed Chelsea. Second bottom or not, they will be confident. 

5 minutes ago, jawillwill said:

Amazing what a narrow victory at home to Burnley can do for confidence...

yep. We've been largely shit for months, but that seems to have been forgotten now. 

WBA form over last six games is 2 wins, 2 draws and 2 defeats, while ours is 4 defeats and 2 wins.

• Lighthouse changed the title to WBA vs Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic