Liverpool 2-0 Saints - Match Thread

SuperSAINT

1 minute ago, Pamplemousse said:

We created chances, didn't take them. Ho hum. Play like that in our next two games and we get 6 points.

I am beginning to think we need to do better than Adams. I like him, I just think he's a confidence player and he's not in good form.

Tella wasn’t much help to him.

When I thought it wasn’t possible to be ponderous,now we seem determined to roll it out to JV….only for him to distribute in a piss poor fashion. 
it’s no surprise we are always camped in our own half. 
no speed,no movement off the ball….and if you give Walcott a contract you need shooting. 

Pretty harsh result in the context, but generally a massive lack of any quality in the final third for us. That's what makes the difference and without Ings fit/on form/scoring, we are blunt.

Adams is getting coaching from Davis on finishing apparently, well it's not helping so scrap that idea and get a proper coach in.

Very frustrating because there is so much right, but ultimately just not enough quality in this team to be competitive over a season.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Heisenberg said:

Are we talking 8 points from our last 17 games? 8 from 51 🤷‍♂️🤷

A truly awful record. Not sure I can think of any other example where the manager was retained. Alex Ferguson in his early days?

1 minute ago, miserableoldgit said:

Wasn't he given MoM?

In truth, it was a game that lacked any real quality. He made a couple of decent saves, we should have probably done better with. 

2 minutes ago, SaintMB said:

Liverpool played like a team that knew they didn't need a second goal. Saints played like a team that forgot the reason why they were on the pitch.

No idea what game you were watching. Saints played like they were one nil down, but didn't want to leave themselves overly exposed to their pace up front. We are not a good side, but played pretty well

• Like 2

Just now, verlaine1979 said:

Not all 15m strikers scuff the ball as badly has he does. He's got the technique of a 5m striker, though his hold up play is good.

Not all £15m strikers work as hard as he does, bring others into play and score 7 league goals a season, scuffed or otherwise. For reference Ollie Watkins cost £33m and has 13 goals so far, that’s the current exchange rate. Low double figures is £25m+ these days.

3 minutes ago, Chez said:

you mean being overly brave, trying at all costs to keep the ball and not to just hoof it aimlessly that ends up turning over possesssion and means we have to chase after it for five minutes?

It was the last minute and 1-0 down. Fannying around and giving the ball away in a dangerous area isn't what I'd hope for.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, OttawaSaint said:

Is it just Saints that do this? I watch a fair few other matches and other teams really go for it when trailing late on, throwing everything forward.

We just slowly pass it around a bit and don’t attack.

This is my gripe with JWP, I just don’t think he demands the ball enough and when he does get it it usually just for straight back to the cbs. Romeu has his flaws but without him there is no one who can get the ball forward.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Chez said:

No idea what game you were watching. Saints played like they were one nil down, but didn't want to leave themselves overly exposed to their pace up front. We are not a good side, but played pretty well

Do you mean we played for a 1-0 loss?

Just now, S-Clarke said:

Pretty harsh result in the context, but generally a massive lack of any quality in the final third for us. That's what makes the difference and without Ings fit/on form/scoring, we are blunt.

Adams is getting coaching from Davis on finishing apparently, well it's not helping so scrap that idea and get a proper coach in.

Very frustrating because there is so much right, but ultimately just not enough quality in this team to be competitive over a season.

Yep. The chances Adams and Tella had 2 of those 3 are in the net if they fall to Ings. Two soft goals conceded as well. We looked a good side, some good performances, quality moves, just lacking a bit of quality with final pass and finishing

• Like 1

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

Good post from you as it usually is

Away at the champions, 2-0 loss, still missing Ings and Romeu, not the end of the world. A bit of composure in and around their penalty area and it could've been a different story. Was expecting the second goal for a while, the back 4 look knackered.

Edited by gsweet87
  • Like 2

Just now, DT said:

A truly awful record. Not sure I can think of any other example where the manager was retained. Alex Ferguson in his early days?

We are a laughing stock really who else would say that was acceptable? Where else could you keep your job after that, that said we tried tonight & put in a shift it's just frustrating 

• Haha 1

They had the quality up top, we didn't. 

Are Redmond, Adams, Djenepo or Walcott really Premier League quality players? I don't think they are myself. I don't think they would have suitors if we went down. 

We played well but we just didn't have the quality upfront to put away our chances. I know the club are saying they're confident about Ings being here next season but there is absolutely no chance we will allow him to enter his last year if we can sell. We have to replace him well in the summer because the lot that will be left do not score enough goals. I hope we don't sign Walcott, save the wages for someone else. He hasn't been a good loan signing. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Might explain why all are hit straight at the keeper. He always did struggle to save those. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, davefizzy14 said:

Thought we played well but lacked the clinicalness in Ings absence. Never mind, something to build on for Tuesday night when hopefully we can get back to winning ways.

Yes, things are improving but its a shame some refuse to see it

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Yep. The chances Adams and Tella had 2 of those 3 are in the net if they fall to Ings. Two soft goals conceded as well. We looked a good side, some good performances, quality moves, just lacking a bit of quality with final pass and finishing

Yep, all on the players tonight. 

Ive been a critic of Ralph, but he can’t do anymore if his forwards aren’t good enough to put the ball away. 

He didn’t have a bad game, but I find the continual changing of keeper odd 

• Like 1

Just now, Lee On Solent Saint said:

If that's true, that's absolutely ridiculous. Doesn't Lambert still live locally??

It’s beyond belief if true. Get Le Tissier working with him, he’s employed by the club as an ambassador isn’t he?

2 minutes ago, SKD said:

Clutching a bit there I think. First home clean sheet in a long and 2nd home Win for something like 10 Games. 

Theyre a poor team this season. 

And were not?........................................................................................................................................................................how are we not in the bottom 3?........i know points on the board etc,but seriously...........Same old bench warmers and nothing new to offer as per,i cant remember any of our subs in recent games to come on and make a difference,but then again the starting line up doesn't do much in that respect either. Wallcot very bang fucking average,new contract?, not for me but is he our price bracket so what do we as fans expect?......... Jankewitz just give him a go you bloody pick him as a sub nearly every game go on man grow some if he fuck up you tried so do it next game instead of Wallcot .

• Like 1

I thought Tella played well to be fair, stretched them and got in behind well. He just lacks that final touch, he's still very raw and you can't put expectations on him yet. It's a shame it all has to fall on him as we have nothing else. I think there is a player there though, one of the big pluses to come out of this season for me.

• Like 2

Unfortunately we are so unsure at the back it means we are scared stiff to take risks and go forward in numbers. As others have said it seems we are more interested in keeping the score line half acceptable than in trying to win football matches. That is not a great place to be in.

14 minutes ago, OttawaSaint said:

Is it just Saints that do this? I watch a fair few other matches and other teams really go for it when trailing late on, throwing everything forward.

We just slowly pass it around a bit and don’t attack.

In all honesty, with the exception of maybe west Ham, Leeds, and Burnley, it is a gripe that most fans have with their team. City fans were having a go at their team when they lost to Leeds, Leicester fans groan and feel the same when they are chasing, wolves fans certainly do, Brighton have long standing gripes that they don't throw the kitchen sink at the end, Spurs fans say they are too narrow and don't get the ball in the box when they need a result. Personally I would rather teams go hell for leather, but I don't think we are that unique in the way we play at end whilst chasing. We do have a real issue with quality at key moments. 

Edited by sydney_saint

1 minute ago, SKD said:

Ive been a critic of Ralph, but he can’t do anymore if his forwards aren’t good enough to put the ball away. 

Agree about the keeper. Stick with McCarthy.

5 minutes ago, obelisk said:

It was the last minute and 1-0 down. Fannying around and giving the ball away in a dangerous area isn't what I'd hope for.

sure, but there were several minutes of injury time. Keeping the ball is still key. Boot it long and lose it and you may not see it for ages.  

Not sure we have the personnel to smash it long either. 

1 minute ago, SKD said:

But what difference did the change of keeper make.

It is nice to see you back tracking again, good lad 🤭

• Haha 1

Why not play salisu ? Defensively we are naive ...u Can’t let Thiago run along your 18 yd box unchallenged..outcome was inevitable! Would have left Armstrong next to jwp ..diallo came on and gave the ball away and was his usual lightweight self .. Liverpool didnt even play well and still had plenty for us Che Adams is not a premier league striker .. postives .. tella and jwp

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, SKD said:

Clutching a bit there I think. First home clean sheet in a long and 2nd home Win for something like 10 Games. 

Theyre a poor team this season. 

You're struggling with the whole we all can have an opinion thing aren't you. 

4 minutes ago, Chapel End said:

Yes, things are improving but its a shame some refuse to see it

certainly better, but Liverpool looked a bit fragile at the back and we didnt expose that much.

Played well box to box, looked very good across the pitch with Redmond, Teller and Vest all impressing.  But massive gap in finishing quality, with two clear chances for Adams and one Teller chance.

KWP at fault for both goals, the second one admittedly when feeling the injury.  We miss Ings’ conversion of chances big time.

2 minutes ago, Roo1976 said:

And were not?........................................................................................................................................................................how are we not in the bottom 3?........i know points on the board etc,but seriously...........Same old bench warmers and nothing new to offer as per,i cant remember any of our subs in recent games to come on and make a difference,but then again the starting line up doesn't do much in that respect either. Wallcot very bang fucking average,new contract?, not for me but is he our price bracket so what do we as fans expect?......... Jankewitz just give him a go you bloody pick him as a sub nearly every game go on man grow some if he fuck up you tried so do it next game instead of Wallcot .

Try that again in legible sentences 🤣

1 minute ago, Chapel End said:

But what difference did the change of keeper make.

It is nice to see you back tracking again, good lad 🤭

It probably has more impact than you think. It’s all about partnerships, the best teams have a consistent back 4 who know each other and form A partnership. 

Name another team who changes their keeper every week? 

I wouldn’t expect you to understand, I doubt you have ever played any competitive sport. 

2 minutes ago, Chez said:

certainly better, but Liverpool looked a bit fragile at the back and we didnt expose that much.

Yeah, that's my main frustration from tonight. They were gettable but we just didn't have the quality to do anything about it. Worked ourselves into good possessions through our decent players, such as JWP/Armstrong/KWP etc but we are blunt as hell.

• Like 1

Yeah, that's my main frustration from tonight. They were gettable but we just didn't have the quality to do anything about it. Worked ourselves into good possessions through our decent players, such as JWP/Armstrong/KWP etc but we are blunt as hell.

We lack creativity in midfield. Have done since Tadic left. All our wingers are quick, direct, run at you types. 

At our best, we had Lallana and Tadic, neither of which were quick but both had great feet kept the ball well and could pick a forward pass. 

That's my main concern for next season, even if Ings stays, can we rely on him to stay fit?

4 minutes ago, Chris cooper said:

Why not play salisu ? Defensively we are naive ...u Can’t let Thiago run along your 18 yd box unchallenged..outcome was inevitable! Would have left Armstrong next to jwp ..diallo came on and gave the ball away and was his usual lightweight self .. Liverpool didnt even play well and still had plenty for us Che Adams is not a premier league striker .. postives .. tella and jwp

Think Ramadan might be a factor.

KWP got caught in possession and from then on we were in big trouble. Not really the CBs fault for that goal.

Need a striker. Not sure its on the cards though unless Ings goes.

1 minute ago, SKD said:

It probably has more impact than you think. It’s all about partnerships, the best teams have a consistent back 4 who know each other and form A partnership. 

Name another team who changes their keeper every week? 

I wouldn’t expect you to understand, I doubt you have ever played any competitive sport. 

Who is the goalkeepers partner.🤣

You are on about the back 4 mate, idiot.

You do post some shyte.