Liverpool 2-0 Saints - Match Thread

SuperSAINT

5 minutes ago, SKD said:

The fact is he was 10 yards out, 1-1 had time to take a touch and then slot it in. He chipped it straight at the keeper. 

That’s the facts mate. 

SWF mafia right there: "my opinion is fact".

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dorchester Saint said:

I hope we’re not planning to keep Theo Walcott, he’s shit!

He’s terrible, great chance just now, falls over. He doesn’t look like he has an ounce of confidence and his passing is absolutely shocking. Would prefer to see Djenepo or even give Obafemi a chance. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, egg said:

Yep, under hit and a spilt second too late meaning he was too close to the keeper when he received the ball. 

Which makes his decision to try and chip him even worse, no? 

Losing, but in terms of performance it's been one of the best in recent weeks. There's a certain speed and directness that been missing. 

In the grand scheme of things, this game doesn't matter. Nice to see them having a go.

• Like 5

So let me make sure I have this correct, we are one nil down against the current champions, a team with immeasurably greater assets than us, on their own patch but they are winning because our players are letting them?  Nothing to do with the fact they might be better.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, SKD said:

If he didn’t miss at least one of those a game, people may give him the benefit of the doubt. 

just watched it back, keeper done very well, but he should be doing better. He anticipated the keeper would dive. 

I'd need to see it again, but to me it looked like a weak ish ball played too late, meaning he had to check a little and received the ball when the keeper was on top of him. People are making out it was a sitter - it wasn't. 

• Like 2

Overall not that bad. Liverpool's attacking passing is scarily good.

Tella very good.

Redmond good. KWP ok.

Armstrong anonymous.

McAdam's needs lessons from Ings.

No LB on show, Salah will punish us in the 2nd half unless Stephens wakes up.

Walcott a waste of space.

Just now, Teddeer said:

Never mind missing a bit of lunch because of Ramadan, Salisu on hunger strike should still be the first name on the team sheet for this back four - shambles.

He could have just had a nice big breakfast. Full English, obviously not with a pork sausage and bacon. 

1 minute ago, Saint NL said:

Losing, but in terms of performance it's been one of the best in recent weeks. There's a certain speed and directness that been missing. 

In the grand scheme of things, this game doesn't matter. Nice to see them having a go.

Agree. Again, missing certain players and our attitude is significantly more positive. 

Just now, Saint NL said:

Agreed. We have done well and look much better than in recent months. Carrying on from the last game. We just lack the final cutting edge. Ings or whomever

I'm not sure why Redmond is getting so much stick? He's been central to most of our play going forward. Not seen anything from Walcott at all - IMO he's the one who should be under scrutiny.

Unfortunately Stephens is looking like a centre back playing left back and vestergaard is still an accident waiting to happen.

Otherwise we've not been too bad so far. Controlled most of the possession and shouldn't really be losing.

Thought that was quite decent actually, the goal aside and some pants decision making in the final third. 

Passing has been good and a lot of forward momentum instead of the sideways stuff. 

Not our worst half of football, to be fair.

Just got vibes of the Spurs game about it: play pretty well against a half-asleep opponent for a half, but don't take our chances. Then fall away once they wake up and go through the gears.

Hopefully not - hopefully we'll keep up the pressure in the second half. But I wouldn't be confident.

Redmond's having one of his more positive days out. He's trying to make things happen, which is all anyone really asks. Walcott continues to offer nothing beyond anonymity.

Tella might get a few more fouls if he wasn't such a persistent diver.

Hey ho.

1 minute ago, egg said:

I'd need to see it again, but to me it looked like a weak ish ball played too late, meaning he had to check a little and received the ball when the keeper was on top of him. People are making out it was a sitter - it wasn't. 

It wasn’t a sitter, the ball wasn’t great it was ever so slightly behind him and the keeper done well. But any striker should be doing better from 10 yards out. If he puts that low in the corner he scores. 

Ings doesn’t miss that 

• Like 1

Just now, OttawaSaint said:

Just seen replay, was an underhit pass by Tella. 

Michael Owen says he’d have just poked it through the keeper’s legs but Che is no Owen that’s for sure.

Tella should have taken another touch for sure but the position Che was in he still should have scored, on the floor either side of Allison and it goes in. 

• Like 1

Just now, StrangelyBrown said:

I'm not sure why Redmond is getting so much stick? He's been central to most of our play going forward. Not seen anything from Walcott at all - IMO he's the one who should be under scrutiny.

Unfortunately Stephens is looking like a centre back playing left back and vestergaard is still an accident waiting to happen.

Otherwise we've not been too bad so far. Controlled most of the possession and shouldn't really be losing.

The accident has already happened when he played Mane onside for their goal. He just plods around in his own ego-driven world totally disinterested in what the rest of the team are trying to do. The sooner he goes to Spurs, the better.

• Haha 1

Just now, NewYorkSaint said:

The snark on here is mind-blowing.  The boys just played a really good half against one of the world's best teams.   JWP, Tella have been wonderful. 

To be fair, the only criticism I'm reading is that Vestergaard is a bit statuesque, that we didn't score when we had chances, and that Walcott looks poor.

It's been said that we've played some good stuff and that Tella looks decent. It can't be ignored though that he missed a chance which (for me) was easier than Adams, and that he should have played the ball to Adams earlier and firmer. 

We're allowed to call what we see mate, its a forum. 

Was pretty good with two golden chances missed. The passing around the back is putting us unnecessary pressure but when we manage to keep the ball we are having joy at attacking Liverpool. Redmond taking on TAA is great to see. He can do it so it's a mystery why he doesn't do it week in week out. Need to have better ball retention in second hand. If so still a way back for us.

3 minutes ago, OttawaSaint said:

Just seen replay, was an underhit pass by Tella. 

Michael Owen says he’d have just poked it through the keeper’s legs but Che is no Owen that’s for sure.

It was and to be honest, I'm not sure how people couldn't see that rather than pelting Adams. 

2 minutes ago, aintforever said:

Playing OK, has 3-0 written all over it though. 

competing, not throwing men forward, but working hard to prevent then getting between the lines and breaking. Normally, as our players get tired, spaces open and that extra covering player is not there and then the class tells. 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Liverpool vs Saints - Match Thread
Just now, egg said:

It was and to be honest, I'm not sure how people couldn't see that rather than pelting Adams. 

I think it’s because Adams regularly misses chances that he should be doing better. 

But agree, the pass from Tella wasn’t great.

18 minutes ago, SKD said:

The fact is he was 10 yards out, 1-1 had time to take a touch and then slot it in. He chipped it straight at the keeper. 

That’s the facts mate. 

Watch it again! Take a touch, you are having a laugh.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, StrangelyBrown said:

He has played more minutes than any other southampton player in the last 4 seasons and has scored 18 goals. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NewYorkSaint said:

The snark on here is mind-blowing.  The boys just played a really good half against one of the world's best teams.   JWP, Tella have been wonderful. 

This. We played really well and took the game to them that first half - unlucky not to be level at least. Tella playing better than I've ever seen him, Redmond a handful when he has confidence and takes his man on, KWP good...others doing their job including Forster.

More of the same please.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, egg said:

It was a tough chance, Addison was right on top of him, best option was probably to hit it hard and low hope it went though his legs but was far from an easy chance. Shake Redmond shot weakly straight at keeper in the follow up too

• Like 1

Just now, Vancouver Saint said:

This. We played really well and took the game to them that first half - unlucky not to be level at least. Tella playing better than I've ever seen him, Redmond a handful when he has confidence and takes his man on, KWP good...others doing their job including Forster.

More of the same please.

Agree, decent first half. BUT can we turn up for the 2nd half for a change?

Just now, SKD said:

I think it’s because Adams regularly misses chances that he should be doing better

Nonsense. Call the situation for what it is, not what he did the other week. 

Decent enough performance from Saints first half. But for a bit if better finishing we could have scored a couple, equally Liverpool could have scored a couple more. There for us to get something if we're more clinical second half. COYR.

Just now, egg said:

Nonsense. Call the situation for what it is, not what he did the other week. 

Not sure that really works for football mate. Previous performances is of course going to impact opinion. 

14 minutes ago, egg said:

He's decent. I'd like to have seen more of Watts as he's got something about him too. 

Yep, he did seem to, played with a smile on his face and wasn’t afraid to try things. We know what we get from Walcott, so wouldn’t hurt to try him instead 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SKD said:

I think it’s because Adams regularly misses chances that he should be doing better. 

If he is regularly missing chances then why do you think he should be scoring there?

An on form Ings would likely have tucked it away, but Che’s not Ings nor confident.