Liverpool 2-0 Saints - Match Thread

SuperSAINT

1 hour ago, SKD said:

When he’s not happy it absolutely is. I know someone who’s seen / experienced it first hand. 

My cousin's mate's father-in-law's dog walker says that's a load of old pony. Let's call this one a draw.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, egg said:

Behave. Someone isn't a "tosser" cos they say no to the pay that they're offered. It's Bertrand's job, and probably his last contract. We could be offering half his current wages, pay as you play, month to month, anything that he thinks unfair. 

That said, I wouldn't offer anything as he looks finished and disinterested to me, but don't be throwing the insults around when you don't know what's happening. 

Fair enough. I take it back. Not a tosser. But he hasn't really looked like he gives much of a toss for quite a while. May be just his style.

• Like 4

They have been relatively (for them) woeful at home for a while so there is a chance, but we have also been in relegation form since the new year so I don't hold out much hope. 

Just hope they actually give it a go and don't play as if they are on the beach, otherwise we will just play Liverpool into form, put them under some pressure and they might crack. 

2 hours ago, Convict Colony said:

Some interesting comments from Jurgen ahead of this game - Link plays from the specific comments

He comes across very well, intelligent, articulate and considered, I hadn't previously listened to him other than post match sound bites. Certainly a bigger admirer of Saints than we are at times!

1 hour ago, DT said:

Fair enough. I take it back. Not a tosser. But he hasn't really looked like he gives much of a toss for quite a while. May be just his style.

Correct, its his style no more than that and its always been like that.

36 minutes ago, Chapel End said:

Correct, its his style no more than that and its always been like that.

Probably time to move on, though, for both parties. Struggling to think where he might go. Palace? West Ham?

3 hours ago, DT said:

On that we agree. He doesn't look interested to me. Quite happy to see him go. 

It's odd isn't it? A few years back, most of our attacks went up the left wing with Bertrand and Redmond overlapping effectively.  Then it all seemed to stop and, since KWP came, we now do most of our build up down the left.  If only, we could manage both.

13 hours ago, VictiAbNonem said:

Jack made more, and more threatening, runs forward against Leicester than I've seen from Bertie for ages

I hope he continues to cover there while RB's out and does well enough to get back in Ralph's good books

I recognise that Bertrand hasn't got forward as often recently, and I also thought Jack had a good game against Leicester but it was a "backs against the wall" performance from the whole team. It just isn't true to say that he made more and more threatening runs forward than Bertie has been doing. 

Jack has had two good performances at Left Back against Leicester and Newcastle home, but other matches at full back have been less successful (e.g. Right Back v Newcastle away). He is just about good enough to cover full back (particularly when out of possession), but let's get some proper full back cover going forward. This season has highlighted putting square pegs in round holes doesn't work in the long term. 

• Like 2

On 07/05/2021 at 02:39, egg said:

Behave. Someone isn't a "tosser" cos they say no to the pay that they're offered. It's Bertrand's job, and probably his last contract. We could be offering half his current wages, pay as you play, month to month, anything that he thinks unfair. 

That said, I wouldn't offer anything as he looks finished and disinterested to me, but don't be throwing the insults around when you don't know what's happening. 

Agree, always looks pissed off and miserable when he's playing.

26 minutes ago, Atlanta Saint said:

Agree, always looks pissed off and miserable when he's playing.

Bertrand doesn't look like he's enjoying playing for us then again can you blame him could anyone enjoy playing with this team at the moment?

Would love any kind of result against the ex saints tonight, they should be way too strong on paper but if we can play with no fear you never know... But if we simply Aim to park the bus and nothing else we will get destroyed against a better attack than Leicester 

10 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Bertrand doesn't look like he's enjoying playing for us then again can you blame him could anyone enjoy playing with this team at the moment?

Would love any kind of result against the ex saints tonight, they should be way too strong on paper but if we can play with no fear you never know... But if we simply Aim to park the bus and nothing else we will get destroyed against a better attack than Leicester 

If we go all gung ho we will lose too, so a cautious approach but not bus parking maybe the way to go.

Which of our players will see the dodgy red today?

Edited by Chapel End

What is going on - why so few posts? Is there a social media ban from Saints fans protesting our appalling 2021 form that I've missed?

Great Telegraph article about why we've been so bad...taking our foot off the high press pedal (as we know injury and tiredness) plus worst goalkeepers in the league (both equally bad and need replacing according to stats).

Hard to predict how this game will go. Either we go down to 10 men after 10 minutes as is our wont and it's a rout that inspires Fulham to a four-game winning spree (stranger things have happened and, after all, we are Saints) - or, we play with some real spirit against a deflated Liverpool team and win 2-0! Draw not impossible either...So that covers every possibility then.

I would like to see Jankewitz play - enough of whatever punishment or issues there are with him and Ralph/the team. We need more drive and grit in midfield.

1 hour ago, Mr X said:

Apart from Mane are there any other ex Saints playing? Maybe Ox on the bench. Think the ex Saints thing is a bit past its sell by date now 😕

12 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

I really don’t understand the reluctance to play Salisu after his last couple of appearances 

8 minutes ago, Totton Saint said:

Agreed,

I see  Diallo  is not starting so who is parering Prousie

Salisu and Diallo have both been fasting in recent weeks, so they are not in peak condition. 

6 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Salisu and Diallo have both been fasting in recent weeks, so they are not in peak condition. 

Oh I remember Ralph saying about this in his press conference on Thursday, in Ralph we trust :)

Edited by davefizzy14

Just now, Pamplemousse said:

Salisu is going to be a big player for us next season. Stephens did well at left back in fairness.

Their central defence can be got at, no question at all.

Yep, let's have a go but be careful to not go gung ho

Not focussing on the next game then Sky like you usually do when there are back to back games... oh no that's right... someone other than the big 6 is playing.... c*nts the lot of them.