Pre Season 2021-22

kjurwi

1 minute ago, Chapel End said:

Fair point but all this whining is a joke, its a friendly Ffs and will have little bearing on the actual season

I don’t see any “whining” just football talk amongst some rightly concerned Saints fans. Mistakes have been made today in team selection and on the pitch. Hopefully we learn from them.

Just now, OttawaSaint said:

I don’t see any “whining” just football talk amongst some rightly concerned Saints fans. Mistakes have been made today in team selection and on the pitch. Hopefully we learn from them.

Its just a practice match.

Yes hopefully we will

1 minute ago, Chapel End said:

Fair point but all this whining is a joke, its a friendly Ffs and will have little bearing on the actual season

How is getting stuffed in a pre season friendly good for the club / players and fans  going into the first game.

It doesn’t matter that some won’t be starting next week playing shit and getting hammered doesn’t do anyone any good.

Just now, TWar said:

Not Valery's fault that one, Armstrong can't give the ball away there. Good finish but I still feel a keeper shouldn't be done at his near post from that angle.

There were a few faults in the build up to that goal, they broke midfield too easily, got at our back 4 who backed off. And Valery was totally out of position and no where near their left sided player who was in the box.

6 minutes ago, Chapel End said:

No one is whining. People are commenting on the game. You should try it instead of just posting about other posters 

Just now, northam soul said:

How is getting stuffed in a pre season friendly good for the club / players and fans  going into the first game.

It doesn’t matter that some won’t be starting next week playing shit and getting hammered doesn’t do anyone any good.

Mmmmm

Didn't Everton get stuffed today ?

Just now, Chapel End said:

Its just a practice match.

Yes hopefully we will

True.

But from what we know Ralph can be very stubborn in his approach/tactics. We can’t really afford to take 0 points from the first few games. 

Not saying that will happen but this last game should be as close to our starting line up as possible. 

Ref could have given us a pen just to help try and make a game of it. Would have probably missed anyway.

As an attacking force Saints look as sharp as a big wobbly, bobbly thing. We looked ok for 15 minutes or so but then Athletic had the measure of us. Is this performance designed to fool Everton into taking it easy next week?

6 minutes ago, Saints foreva said:

HT. Piss poor which I guess was to be expected when you're playing with two League One standard strikers. 

Would explain the 0 but the midfield and defence are to blame for at least the second of the 2, ( assuming you blame Long for the first ).

Edited by badgerx16

I do like the way that Long always lets the man get in between him and the ball, including the scorer of the first goal.  If he is not doing that, then he is offside !

The man still has no understanding of the game of football after 24 years FFS !

Just now, Maya's Dad said:

are we expecting valery to stay this season? just asumed the chelsea lad would be 2nd choice

hope we pick our level up considerably next week...we look so shit with the ball

Nothing up front, soon as it goes to midfield we lose it as neither long or Obafemi are any good at finding space. 

Good confidence builder this. Long and Obafemi having their own private competition to see which one of them can be caught offside more often. Armstrong invisible other than giving away possession leading to the second goal. We have created the square root of diddly squat. They are coasting and still 2 up at half time. Surprisingly thought Valery looked reasonable. Ah well, it's only a friendly and I'm sure we will be fine tuned like a well oiled machine by next week.

4 minutes ago, redkeith said:

I do like the way that Long always lets the man get in between him and the ball, including the scorer of the first goal.  If he is not doing that, then he is offside !

The man still has no understanding of the game of football after 24 years FFS !

I think his legs are gone. Shouldn’t be anywhere near our bench let alone on the pitch. I’m thankful to him for his service but he knows that he can’t do it in the EPL anymore. Club should have let him go rather than get sentimental with the extension.

Edited by OttawaSaint
  • Like 3

Didn’t MLG assure us that we’d be saving our best team for the final friendly of the season? He’s never wrong, so I look forward to the HT subs. 

Edited by LGTL
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, LGTL said:

Didn’t MLG assure us that we’d be saving our best team for the final friendly of the season? He’s never wrong, so I look forward to the HT subs. 

Presume you mean sandwiches as in subs because our bench is down to the bare bones.

6 minutes ago, obelisk said:

Ref could have given us a pen just to help try and make a game of it. Would have probably missed anyway.

As an attacking force Saints look as sharp as a big wobbly, bobbly thing. We looked ok for 15 minutes or so but then Athletic had the measure of us. Is this performance designed to fool Everton into taking it easy next week?

Is that what everton were trying by losing 4-0 to utd today.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, LGTL said:

Didn’t MLG ensure us that we’d be saving our best team for the final friendly of the season? He’s never wrong, so I look forward to the HT subs. 

We’ve only got 5 subs, they have 12. I have no idea what Ralphy boy is hoping to take from this game,

Thanks to  whoever posted the link.. I'm trying to take a few positives from the game but it's difficult. Obafemi is certainly putting more effort in and looks faster but Long alongside him makes me despair. Salisu looking better all the time, McCarthy definitely not.. Valery looks stronger but his full back positional play is no better although he has used his pace once or twice to recover situations. Armstrong not quite at the races but he's not a worry in the longer term. Djenepo is Djenepo, shame he spoiled that final run by going down so easily but at least he's likely to do something unexpected.

Just now, Give it to Ron said:

Don’t blame Valery he has 2 players every time Armstrong going through motions leaving Valery alone. 
All our play is through Valery who went up pitch when Armstrong gifted it away.

The forward line wouldn’t cope in league 2 but absolutely no service 

Don’t tell me he’s had his head turned as well!

1 minute ago, suewhistle said:

Thanks to  whoever posted the link.. I'm trying to take a few positives from the game but it's difficult. Obafemi is certainly putting more effort in and looks faster but Long alongside him makes me despair. Salisu looking better all the time, McCarthy definitely not.. Valery looks stronger but his full back positional play is no better although he has used his pace once or twice to recover situations. Armstrong not quite at the races but he's not a worry in the longer term. Djenepo is Djenepo, shame he spoiled that final run by going down so easily but at least he's likely to do something unexpected.

Unexpected as in pass to one of his team mates rather than the opposition

4 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

We’ve only got 5 subs, they have 12. I have no idea what Ralphy boy is hoping to take from this game,

It’s really bizarre. Was there any explanation for this. We are a team with a paper thin squad, what if we’ve made our subs and a key player gets a slight knock. We can’t afford to have players try to play on through an injury. 

• Like 1