Other Games 21/22

whelk

I only watched the last two Egypt matches in the tournament, but Salah was anonymous in both. Looked overall, and he only scored two goals in the tournament, despite playing the full 90 and then extra-time where required in each of Egypt's 7 games. Although, to be fair Egypt only managed four goals overall. So, I guess he did bag 50% of their goals.

Fantastic result for Notts Forest although one suspects that Leicester 'threw' this one because of their fixtures pile-up and Europen ambitions. Nevertheless, Forest under Cooper look the real deal. He's becoming a superb manager and if Forest continue the way they are then they will have a very good chance of promotion. Can they keep hold of Cooper remains to be seen but good to see a Brit manager coming good.

53 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Fantastic result for Notts Forest although one suspects that Leicester 'threw' this one because of their fixtures pile-up and Europen ambitions. Nevertheless, Forest under Cooper look the real deal. He's becoming a superb manager and if Forest continue the way they are then they will have a very good chance of promotion. Can they keep hold of Cooper remains to be seen but good to see a Brit manager coming good.

He's certainly done well wherever he has been, he did a decent job at Swansea too and got them close to promotion a couple of times.

Weirdly the Swansea fans felt his football was a bit stale and boring and they were desperate for a change of manager, I wonder if they still think that as they sit towards the bottom of the Championship.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

He's certainly done well wherever he has been, he did a decent job at Swansea too and got them close to promotion a couple of times.

Weirdly the Swansea fans felt his football was a bit stale and boring and they were desperate for a change of manager, I wonder if they still think that as they sit towards the bottom of the Championship.

Hasn’t he been coaching with the England set up? But yes good manager.

19 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Hasn’t he been coaching with the England set up? But yes good manager.

Yeah, he was the manager when we won the U17 world cup. He was in and around the England setup at the same time as Crocker, Ashworth etc.

13 hours ago, HarvSFC said:

I only watched the last two Egypt matches in the tournament, but Salah was anonymous in both. Looked overall, and he only scored two goals in the tournament, despite playing the full 90 and then extra-time where required in each of Egypt's 7 games. Although, to be fair Egypt only managed four goals overall. So, I guess he did bag 50% of their goals.

Egypt play a very defensive and organised style of football. Salah is the exception for their squad re quality. Compare their team to Senegal and their is a huge gulf in class.

Expecting more from Salah would be like putting him in lower championship team, telling them to park the bus, and then expecting him to shine vs a top 6 prem team imo.

Edited by Saint86

14 hours ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

Weird ref decisions in this one. Over zealous with cards in the first half. A game littered with stoppages for free kicks.

Ref's reluctance to follow through on his card decisions meant there were bookable, persistent fouls in the second that were let go.

He booked someone for winning a header at one point. Yet, he was always in control of the game and there weren't too many complaints from the players.

He did offer his book and whistle to Salah, after some complaining as if saying "are you running this game?"

Agreed , Mane should've been off but ref bottled it 

Congratulations to Boreham Wood for beating the "biggest" team on he south coast.   🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Changing subject - Well played Nottingham Forest too. I popped over to the Leicester "Foxes Talk" Forum. They definitely think Brendan Rodgers has lost the dressing room and want him out. Vestergaard gets quite a few mentions as their worst signing ever.........and he didn't even play yesterday. They say whoever sanctioned his signing should be sacked.  I have to say, without Vardy (as much as I dislike him) they don't look a great outfit and one wonders where they would have been and what they would have achieved without his goals for the past few seasons. And Maddison.....Mr Billy Big Bollocks.....undoubtedly a talented footballer, but to me,  his attitude stinks and I actually think we dodged a bullet  by not signing him him. 

It makes me wonder, when they got Bertrand (on a free) and paid big money for Vestergaard, why they didn't also buy Wesley Hoedt for £25m at the same time. I think they missed a trick there. 😉 In seriousness I do find it odd that they signed two defenders (half of the back four) that leaked so many goals last season. 

My prediction: Brendan will be the next Prem manager to go......

He has done very well to be fair. Used his contacts to make some smart loans at Swansea on their limited budget. Guehi, Gallagher, Woodman and Brewster when he was good among the names. Swansea’s “money”did run out in the summer, hence why they let one of their better players in Andre Ayew leave on a free and Jamal Lowe going to Bournemouth. He left over a month after the play-off defeat, so it does look more like it was his decision and now Swansea have gone from 4th to 16th.

He’s doing similar at Forest. Panzo, Surridge and Davis, he’d have all known from the England setup and when he took over Forest they were in 22nd. They’re now 8th and he holds a 56.5% win record. 

On 06/02/2022 at 09:38, Turkish said:

So despite you posting about it until 4am it looks like you are the only person who thinks I’m wrong them. Ever thought it might be you that is hilariously wrong?

Hahahahaha. 

Bless. Try to move on.

(Btw, when it's 4am in England, it can actually be a different time in other parts of the world - not sure if you knew that? That includes SE Asia, where I am at present. Oddly, the natives aren't on GMT...)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SaintBobby said:

Hahahahaha. 

Bless. Try to move on.

(Btw, when it's 4am in England, it can actually be a different time in other parts of the world - not sure if you knew that? That includes SE Asia, where I am at present. Oddly, the natives aren't on GMT...)

:lol: “Try to move on” except it wasn’t me that made an unprovoked dig at someone about something they got wrong and actually agreed with but rather than admit they made an arse of themselves have stuck their fingers in the ears screaming “you’re wrong move on” 🤣🤣

1 hour ago, LiberalCommunist said:

Big week of football starts tonight.

The bottom teams kick it off, and I'm not getting complacent just yet, I want them to all lose.

Toon V Everton, a draw, but wouldn't begrudge the blues a nice solid 3 pts here.

Newcastle v Everton is one where you'd want both to somehow come out with no points. But Newcastle are on a different level of dislike for me, so seeing them thumped heavily in every game until the end of the season would be nice.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Would you take 17th and a Newcastle relegation? 😅

Depends if the other offer is 8th and they stay up. I’d take that. But it would be very sweet if they went down but I’m not holding my breath as it’ll only lead to disappointment.

I still think someone from the clutch above the bottom 4 will drop into shitsville. I just hope it’s not us. I can see Brentford continuing to slide...

34 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

Depends if the other offer is 8th and they stay up. I’d take that. But it would be very sweet if they went down but I’m not holding my breath as it’ll only lead to disappointment.

I still think someone from the clutch above the bottom 4 will drop into shitsville. I just hope it’s not us. I can see Brentford continuing to slide...

Would love it to be Brighton,but I fear they already have too many points on the board 

I think it’s more likely to be Brentford, they took a lot of people by surprise at the start of the season but have since been found out. Key players not firing on all cylinders. They’re very much on the slide.

It’ll be between Brentford, Watford, Burnley and Norwich for the drop.

I think Leeds, Everton, Newcastle and us have got enough to push on (injuries permitting).

9 hours ago, Turkish said:

:lol: “Try to move on” except it wasn’t me that made an unprovoked dig at someone about something they got wrong and actually agreed with but rather than admit they made an arse of themselves have stuck their fingers in the ears screaming “you’re wrong move on” 🤣🤣

Turkish are you taking PR advice from Boris now ??

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

I think it’s more likely to be Brentford, they took a lot of people by surprise at the start of the season but have since been found out. Key players not firing on all cylinders. They’re very much on the slide.

It’ll be between Brentford, Watford, Burnley and Norwich for the drop.

I think Leeds, Everton, Newcastle and us have got enough to push on (injuries permitting).

Out of that lot, an Everton, Leeds *and* Newcastle bottom three would be perfect. I can dream...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Turkish said:

Still want us to sign 6+ Burnley players to improve our first team? Top bants. Lol.

2 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Very frenetic isn't it, hasn't settled down yet. No real pattern to it.

I guess we’ve been involved in enough tense bottom of the table arm wrestles, I was just expecting a bit more from two sides with relatively new managers and some new signings 

In a perfect world (for me) tonight’s results would be wins for Utd, Everton and West Ham. I want the relegation places to be decided ASAP, even though I’d be surprised if we slipped towards them, but really the only result I REALLY care about is for anyone to beat Newcastle. For the lols

• Like 2