Other Games 21/22

whelk

1 hour ago, sydney_saint said:

Would absolutely love Big Ange here when it is time to part with Ralph. I know some will say he's a nobody manager. But Celtic fans said the same and they absolutely adore him now. He's a serial winner everywhere he has been. Not only that, but he plays fantastic football whilst cleaning up silverware. 

You could manage where he has and win trophies 😅

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, whelk said:

Whenever I have watched any of AFCON it has been so shit. The shittiest tournament of all time without doubt. That shite Greek side would look flamboyant against these teams

It is for the football hipsters. The same people ho probably watch NFL and tell everyone about it.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

It is for the football hipsters. The same people ho probably watch NFL and tell everyone about it.

Surely the only reason you’d watch it is If you have nothing other than football in your life. The standard of football is dreadful, hardly heard of some of the countries let alone players, yet we get told that Europeans don’t respect the competition enough. I’m sure its a big thing if you live or are from the continent but if you don’t I’m not really sure why you’d bother watching any of it. And as for the NFL watched by geeks who wish they were yanks 

10 hours ago, whelk said:

Whenever I have watched any of AFCON it has been so shit. The shittiest tournament of all time without doubt. That shite Greek side would look flamboyant against these teams

Substandard tournament. Substandard refs. Substandard crowd control. Substandard players exc the usual few.

They set out to promote it, but this has damaged it badly.

Its just a shame we didn't get to play L'pool, that could have been the one plus point for the shambles! 

I've only watched highlights and any other clips that appears on my feed when something controversial happens i.e. referee blowing whistle early. To be fair I did look at the scores and hoped Djenepo would win the thing.

What is odd is that whilst people say the AFCON deserves greater recognition, I wonder why no one says similar for other continental tournaments. I, and a lot of my friends certainly don't know when the Asia cup is played or who last won it etc, and same goes for the Americas. However, I think some have an idea of who won the last 2/3 AFCONs.

What you need to know about the CONCACAF cup is when is the final? So you can watch USA and Mexico play another bad tempered game against each other. To be fair a lot of the central American teams are quite good considering their small populations, with a couple Island nations often having a few useful players and the rest of the team very athletic if not as technically gifted.. The games are at a decent standard, the facilities are excellent because it it always played in the US, which is not an inbuilt home advantage due to the number of people from all those other countries living here, and the refs for the most part decent, everyone in Latin America hates the US and all the other countries in Latin America hate Mexico for being the big boy so the bias is often against the big teams!. A bit more predictable than the Euros, but with the team Canada has right now the next one might be quite tasty. Normally held every 2 years, between World cups and Euro years.

I have not watched the S. American version as much, But you got some of the biggest countries in football in there. And even the lesser countries produce good teams. Use to be better when they were allowed to invite a couple other counties to participate to bring the numbers up to a better number to construct groups out of. Always included Mexico, plus a few other semi regulars (I know US and Japan have both participated.) But now they are not allowed to do so. Not sure how it is currently handled but at one point the full International team was not allowed to participate in another regions competition, but an U23 or Olympic squad was allowed in. Obviously a bunch of youngsters are not going to be able to handle Messi, or a full Brazil squad, making these games mostly to fill up a calendar rather than properly competitive matches.

Both competitions are held in our summer so player availability is good and does not effect premier league squads although MLS is played through the summer (because winter for most of the continent makes playing impossible which does effect that completion, a lot of MLS teams have a high proportion of those central American players) A lot of games will be played at night here so not at a good time for watching in Europe.

Edited by Mystic Force

2 minutes ago, Turkish said:

How is that not disallowed 🤣🤣🤣

Apparently because there was another touch before it was put in the net.

I'm still in favour of using VAR but that's farcical. Such an obvious handball. What's the point of even having VAR if it's not going to pick that up. 

4 minutes ago, Yozzman said:

VAR worked as it should because that is the law now.

If an attacking player’s accidental handball immediately precedes another player scoring, the goal will now be awarded, when last season it was likely to have been ruled out.

Even though the attacker miscontolled it gaining a clear advantage with his arms outstretched at shoulder height, joke of a rule 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, whelk said:

£45? FFS

United have got away with charging full price for cup games for years as a) it's often a big day out for the away team who just pay it and b) for big cup semi finals or finals they give priority to season ticket holders who attended every home cup game, it means they have to all buy to have a chance of a final ticket. That said a few years without any finals they might not get away with that approach. 

Great win for Boro, suppose its too much to hope Plymouth or Fulham will get a shock win today? 

11 hours ago, CB Fry said:

I imagine this might gain some support on here

Not to mention allowing endless rolling subs to allow a better reflection of a club's true xG potential for those 90mins. Offside can go too.

If that still isn't enough to stack the deck, big clubs should go into games with xG bonuses based on their last season plus a bonus based on their TV audience draw.

The future of football! 😊

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, SaintBobby said:

Burnley 0 Watford 0.

A match so dire I think my retinas are permanently scarred.

Bit of a disastrous result for Burnley that one, struggle to see how they get out of it this time round. Spurs, Liverpool and Man Utd in the next 4.

I'd say they're all but gone, but the other 3 above them are equally bad that they'll always be within touch. It's going to be a low 'safety' total though, I'm pretty sure on that.