Other Games 21/22

whelk

12 hours ago, HarvSFC said:

Signed for us 10 years ago today. Brilliant short term impact signing to help us get over the line. Shame he never got a chance in the premier league with us. Top lad. Where does the time go.

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, nta786 said:

In other news, Manchester United have had to issue a statement as apparently Mason Greenwood has domestically abused his girlfriend.

If true, then what a waste of talent, he may just well have thrown his career away.

Done A bit more than that it seems…

1 hour ago, nta786 said:

In other news, Manchester United have had to issue a statement as apparently Mason Greenwood has domestically abused his girlfriend.

If true, then what a waste of talent, he may just well have thrown his career away.

f**king hell, stupidly listened to the audio, sickeningly disturbing. Innocent until proven guilty of course. But if that audio is even remotely true (and there is no reason to think it isn't) then he is an utter scumbag and deserves everything that is coming to him. Just absolutely awful. How can you do that to someone you love and care for? I hope she gets the support she needs.

Assuming this goes to court, that will be three court cases for EPL footballers for sexual assault.

Edited by sydney_saint
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Turkish said:

Signed for us 10 years ago today. Brilliant short term impact signing to help us get over the line. Shame he never got a chance in the premier league with us. Top lad. Where does the time go.

I always thought the same, but then I guess people who make those decisions know what they see in a player. When you consider how long he has been consistently banging them in since he left us in the Championship, he has been very effective at that level. He is a combative player and maybe those that know could see that any attempt to finesse him to fit the premier league would simply dull his edge - and early signs in pre season made their minds up about him. You could say “ah but Lambert”, Rickie himself admits that he was a pie eating beer drinker when he came to us, until Pardew gave him a kick up the backside. With the facilities and science at Saints compared to Bristol Rovers, as he got fitter he realised what more he could do and as we went through the leagues his untapped potential had a chance to develop at a steady pace. Billy Sharp came to us as an established player who had followed the necessary fitness regimes to make it, and by comparison the pot of untapped potential was smaller than Rickies. Whos pot at the time nobody could see the bottom of - first Prem game “oh he can do it’s at this level” away at City. Roll the clock on - England debut “can he do it at this level” we all know the answer. 
Maybe he could have adapted as Che took his time to do. Maybe when you think back to Nigel Adkins interview after the Coventry promotion game, Sharp had served his purpose. 
Obviously this is a Sunday morning rambling.
Maybe he could of adapted

56 minutes ago, John Boy Saint said:

I always thought the same, but then I guess people who make those decisions know what they see in a player. When you consider how long he has been consistently banging them in since he left us in the Championship, he has been very effective at that level. He is a combative player and maybe those that know could see that any attempt to finesse him to fit the premier league would simply dull his edge - and early signs in pre season made their minds up about him. You could say “ah but Lambert”, Rickie himself admits that he was a pie eating beer drinker when he came to us, until Pardew gave him a kick up the backside. With the facilities and science at Saints compared to Bristol Rovers, as he got fitter he realised what more he could do and as we went through the leagues his untapped potential had a chance to develop at a steady pace. Billy Sharp came to us as an established player who had followed the necessary fitness regimes to make it, and by comparison the pot of untapped potential was smaller than Rickies. Whos pot at the time nobody could see the bottom of - first Prem game “oh he can do it’s at this level” away at City. Roll the clock on - England debut “can he do it at this level” we all know the answer. 
Maybe he could have adapted as Che took his time to do. Maybe when you think back to Nigel Adkins interview after the Coventry promotion game, Sharp had served his purpose. 
Obviously this is a Sunday morning rambling.
Maybe he could of adapted

I would have back Sharp to score two or three a season coming off the bench, he would certainly have contributed more than his replacement Mayuka did 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nta786 said:

that's the problem if Giggs is the one you looked up to.

49 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I would have back Sharp to score two or three a season coming off the bench, he would certainly have contributed more than his replacement Mayuka did 

Ah yes Mayuka - I had an evening in the presence of Mayuka along with “Tuesday Night” Jos, and Yoshida. Pre season in Cataluña under Poch and I struck gold as we had a friendly 5 mins from where we were staying. We were sat up in the little stand on the row in front of them. Jos was good value and funny - but serious too, my mate asked the occasional question as we watched the first half “then said I’m not wishing to being rude, need to concentrate on this - at half time I will answer all the questions” and he did. Mayuka was sat next to Maya all through the first half, “what formation are we playing now” was said more than once as Poch dabbled “why is he playing there” - “why didn’t he pass there” Maya explained and Jos chipped in when he could find the english - you did think really? 
When he went it was much of surprise, performances aside.

What was the chant aimed at Akinfenwa which seems the have got some many people at it? Game stopped yesterday and club asking fans to stop, all I’ve seen is that it’s been labelled sick and vile but also that it wasn’t racist 

21 minutes ago, Turkish said:

What was the chant aimed at Akinfenwa which seems the have got some many people at it? Game stopped yesterday and club asking fans to stop, all I’ve seen is that it’s been labelled sick and vile but also that it wasn’t racist 

The same one sung to Ronaldo every week, yet no fuss made (from what I’ve seen) there. 

Not racially motivated at all, basically being called a Sex offender 

10 minutes ago, Dman said:

The same one sung to Ronaldo every week, yet no fuss made (from what I’ve seen) there. 

Not racially motivated at all, basically being called a Sex offender 

Oh is that it? The way they’re going on about it I thought it was going to be something horrendous. 

5 hours ago, sydney_saint said:

f**king hell, stupidly listened to the audio, sickeningly disturbing. Innocent until proven guilty of course. But if that audio is even remotely true (and there is no reason to think it isn't) then he is an utter scumbag and deserves everything that is coming to him. Just absolutely awful. How can you do that to someone you love and care for? I hope she gets the support she needs.

Assuming this goes to court, that will be three court cases for EPL footballers for sexual assault.

Looking at this from a very cold business perspective, do football clubs insure themselves against such events? The evidence seems pretty damning and Utd could be losing an asset that was 'worth' 10's of millions. I know clubs are insured against career ending injuries, so assume that there's something for this type of eventuality (same with City and Everton recently) - given that they have little control over their players' personal lives?

Edited by Saint Mikey
Clarity

Just now, LiberalCommunist said:

Game stopped for crowd medical incident.

Manager stops game because he hears chant.

Government stops game before of cold virus.

Derby stop game because bank unhappy.

Will the last person to leave the ground please turn the light off.........

You forgot Clubs/PL stop games due to injuries, illness and international call ups

17 hours ago, sydney_saint said:

I think this is down to the culture around young footballers these days. We're paying teenagers millions and millions of pounds, putting them on a pedestal where they are adored worldwide, the trophy Instagram model girlfriend is just another possession to them so why can't he use her for what he wants when he wants? 

1 hour ago, Saint_clark said:

I think this is down to the culture around young footballers these days. We're paying teenagers millions and millions of pounds, putting them on a pedestal where they are adored worldwide, the trophy Instagram model girlfriend is just another possession to them so why can't he use her for what he wants when he wants? 

Because most people know that rape and slapping women about is wrong, perhaps?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Sorry this is just bollocks. Either someone is predisposed to being an amoral violent rapist or they're not. Money doesn't come into it. 

The overwhelming majority of young footballers don't rape their girlfriends because they're not evil c*nts. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

Because most people know that rape and slapping women about is wrong, perhaps?

1 hour ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Sorry this is just bollocks. Either someone is predisposed to being an amoral violent rapist or they're not. Money doesn't come into it. 

The overwhelming majority of young footballers don't rape their girlfriends because they're not evil c*nts. 

I think it's naive to think that someone who has been told yes their entire life and had people falling over themselves to worship them won't then refuse to take no for an answer. 

Saying someone is predisposed to this sort of thing suggests that they could have been raised by anyone, anywhere in the world using any parenting techniques and morals and they would still end up being a rapist. Totally wrong. People are, by and large, a product of their environment. 

Don't mistake this for defending him - the guy is a c**t, no doubt.

3 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

I think it's naive to think that someone who has been told yes their entire life and had people falling over themselves to worship them won't then refuse to take no for an answer. 

Saying someone is predisposed to this sort of thing suggests that they could have been raised by anyone, anywhere in the world using any parenting techniques and morals and they would still end up being a rapist. Totally wrong. People are, by and large, a product of their environment. 

Don't mistake this for defending him - the guy is a c**t, no doubt.

I suspect you're in a very small minority on this. 

Getting too much too young does not make someone a rapist or wife beater. The environment a person is raised in does not make someone do either of those things. 

I went on a seminar with an esteemed behavioural psychologist some years ago about the behaviour of youths and adolescents entitled "nature or nurture". The gist of it was that if someone is wired wrong, no amount of nurture can save them. 

I'll join the very small minority.

I think upbringing plays a much bigger part than nature, particularly the very early years.  So I am not saying it's just about his money or status but I am agreeing with @Saint_clark on a couple of things.  Firstly that we are largely a product of our primary care givers and secondly that, with the wrong upbringing, excess fame and fortune will breed entitlement and a lost moral compass, along with providing an environment in which bad behaviour can escalate unchecked.

@eggI'd be interested in knowing who the esteemed behavioural psychologist was as this is a topic I'm interested in.  The nurture v nature debate is a fascinating one and by no means resolved by the psychologist community.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, LiberalCommunist said:

Game stopped for crowd medical incident.

Manager stops game because he hears chant.

Government stops game because of cold virus.

Derby stop game because bank unhappy.

Will the last person to leave the ground please turn the light off.........

Electricity was cut off  because the club couldn't afford to pay the bill.... 

24 minutes ago, egg said:

I suspect you're in a very small minority on this. 

Getting too much too young does not make someone a rapist or wife beater. The environment a person is raised in does not make someone do either of those things. 

I went on a seminar with an esteemed behavioural psychologist some years ago about the behaviour of youths and adolescents entitled "nature or nurture". The gist of it was that if someone is wired wrong, no amount of nurture can save them. 

Congratulations on attending a seminar once some years ago. Not once have I tried to say the environment he's in is the ONLY reason he's behaving like this. 

Edit; reading this back and it's a lot more hostile than I intended, I apologise. Worth pointing out I work for prison and probation and have done a lot of work with/about rapists and other sex offenders, as well as heavy deep dives into the mentality of offenders and what leads them to the choices they make. Before I started this career I was very black and white on the issue but there are actually miles and miles of grey area, it's a very complicated topic that in all honesty we don't really want to be discussing in depth on a football forum.

Edited by Saint_clark

13 minutes ago, The Left Back said:

I'll join the very small minority.

I think upbringing plays a much bigger part than nature, particularly the very early years.  So I am not saying it's just about his money or status but I am agreeing with @Saint_clark on a couple of things.  Firstly that we are largely a product of our primary care givers and secondly that, with the wrong upbringing, excess fame and fortune will breed entitlement and a lost moral compass, along with providing an environment in which bad behaviour can escalate unchecked.

@eggI'd be interested in knowing who the esteemed behavioural psychologist was as this is a topic I'm interested in.  The nurture v nature debate is a fascinating one and by no means resolved by the psychologist community.

The whole topic is fascinating to me, and it does seem as if the more we learn, the more we find that genetics play at least as big a role as the environment in an individual's outcomes. I read this book (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blueprint_(book)) last year after listening to podcast by the author with Sam Harris which was really eye opening. They can get very useful data from identical twin studies, where two people with identical genetics have been separated at birth and brought up in totally different environments. One of the most interesting takeaways from the book for me as a parent was how little difference your own parenting/choice of school etc actually makes to the outcomes for your children. It's still quite a contentious issue, of course, and intuitively most are unable or unwilling to believe it (including myself), but the data doesn't lie.

7 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Just put the Pompey game on. They are getting it handed to them by Charlton. Blue few are losing 1-0, by a goal that should have been flagged for offside

I’m watching it too, they are absolutely shite, hilariously poor linesman for the goal but still lucky to only be 1-0 now

that young Charlton player half a yard away from goal of the season. 

looking forward to the boos at half time 

Edited by Turkish

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

That was good fun.

But it's also a shame we probably won't get to see the glorious playoff knockout this year. Just a mid-table l1 season for them, and probably for the foreseable.

I'm hoping for a late playoff push just missing out on the last day. 

Still no news on the rearranged Newcastle game then. Of all our remaining games it’s the one I want to win the most. As petty as it is, I hope their overpaid panic buys are underwhelming and ultimately get them relegated 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jack said:

Still no news on the rearranged Newcastle game then. Of all our remaining games it’s the one I want to win the most. As petty as it is, I hope their overpaid panic buys are underwhelming and ultimately get them relegated 

Agreed but on paper the new DM they have looks quality 

5 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Agreed but on paper the new DM they have looks quality 

Yeah agreed. However one player doesn’t make a team and Eddie Howe has never been great at organising a defence. 
Targett is hardly prem standard, Burn was decent at Brighton when I saw him but then they were well coached and organised under Potter. It’s yet to be seen if Trippier fancies the battle. 
And I still don’t think they’ve got loads of goals in them. 

Maybe clutching at straws. 

1 minute ago, Jack said:

Yeah agreed. However one player doesn’t make a team and Eddie Howe has never been great at organising a defence. 
Targett is hardly prem standard, Burn was decent at Brighton when I saw him but then they were well coached and organised under Potter. It’s yet to be seen if Trippier fancies the battle. 
And I still don’t think they’ve got loads of goals in them. 

Maybe clutching at straws. 

Not at all - fair comments. If they are relying on Targett well murder them on that side of the pitch.

I can't help thinking. if I was a Newcastle fan, with all that supposed wealth, I would be slightly underwhelmed at the signings of Chris Wood, Matt Targett, Kieren Trippier  and Dan Burn. The Brazilian Bruno Guimaraes looks like he might be ok, but as yet unproven in the Premier league. They will all take time to bed in to a new system as well. Eddie Howe's has a history of squandering decent money so it remains to be seen, but hopefully (from our prospective) it'll be an abject failure.

And of those signings, how many of those would get into the current Saints starting line-up. Guimaraes possibly? Trippier over KWP or Livramento - I don't think so. Wood over Broja - no way, Dan Burn over Beds, Lyanco or Salisu - Definitely not the latter, and Targett over Perraud - not for me. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, igsey said:

Wouldn't be at all surprised if the teams in the relegation battle spend their games vs Newcastle kicking lumps out of Guimaraes.

As soon this transfer was mooted, someone put up an analysis of his game, apparently he doesn't like being pressed.  Just hope for him that no opposition Coaches have access to that info! 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, jawillwill said:

The atmosphere at Celtic looks pretty intense this evening.

No Rangers fans there, but have it on good authority they've been making themselves know outside the stadium and around the city.

1-0 Celtic after 5 minutes.

3-0 at half time, Rangers had a great chance to make it 1-1 but a crap ball, Celtic went up the other end and score to make it 2, then another just before half time. Rangers have been awful

Would absolutely love Big Ange here when it is time to part with Ralph. I know some will say he's a nobody manager. But Celtic fans said the same and they absolutely adore him now. He's a serial winner everywhere he has been. Not only that, but he plays fantastic football whilst cleaning up silverware.