Other Games 21/22

whelk

VAR is still making decisions instead of assisting with them, how on earth they can rule the ref was wrong and that is a penalty is beyond me.

The issue with VAR is that it’s still down to the interpretation of the ref sat in front of the screen at Stockley Park. I honestly believe if it had been that c**t Mike Dean on VAR last night then De Bruyne gets a penalty, Bednerak gets a red and Armstrong gets a red card. There’s still no consistency whatsoever.

5 hours ago, whelk said:

Anyone other than the refs think that was a pen? Shocking decision.

Great  ‘shit referee’ chant from Palace

Such a shame it wasn’t on BT so we could hear Peter Waltons expert analysis to defend the onfield decision 

10 hours ago, bpsaint said:

VAR is still making decisions instead of assisting with them, how on earth they can rule the ref was wrong and that is a penalty is beyond me.

The issue with VAR is that it’s still down to the interpretation of the ref sat in front of the screen at Stockley Park. I honestly believe if it had been that c**t Mike Dean on VAR last night then De Bruyne gets a penalty, Bednerak gets a red and Armstrong gets a red card. There’s still no consistency whatsoever.

VAR, AKA PL HQ, decides what is right or wrong for the PL. It should be for the integrity of the game....they wouldn't be trying to manufacture a more exciting title race would they....

• Like 1

VAR is much worse than the issue it was supposed to deal with . Most of these incidents now wouldn't even been thought of as a problem before as no one had seen the offence/thought there was one several phases before the goal . In alot of cases play has moved on and no player has appealed so the game has flowed , now they can't just score they have to hang around for 5 mins before the game is restarted . Major review needed after this season , not just tnkering .

• Like 2

I'm currently watching Ref Watch on Sky. How infuriating. Listening to Dermot defend all the bullshit decisions. There is no hope for the game getting better with var, and all these incompetent twats lording it over us. Its all too subjective, with just more people putting their view on things. God I miss the old days where slightly offside goals were legit. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LiberalCommunist said:

I'm currently watching Ref Watch on Sky. How infuriating. Listening to Dermot defend all the bullshit decisions. There is no hope for the game getting better with var, and all these incompetent twats lording it over us. Its all too subjective, with just more people putting their view on things. God I miss the old days where slightly offside goals were legit. 

Or slightly onside were given offside. 😉

Edited by Toadhall Saint

VAR is not the issue, some teething problems with the tech and sorting out margin of errors for the offside lines etc. But ultimately the issue is the Refs themselves and the fact they are also running VAR. VAR needs to be run by an independent panel, with at least 3-4 like ex-pros or something running it who have nothing to do with the teams involved. The other issue being the vast majority of English professional referees are really really bad.  I watch a lot of the Bundesliga highlights and they seem to have less issue with VAR and less controversy. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

RainerI has been sacked

That is such a pointless football club. Their fans have been conditioned to want the manager gone if he loses a few as well. It's a poisoned chalice for anyone, and no one is ever going to be able to build anything there.

That must be a horrific club to support. Pointless.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

RainerI has been sacked

He must have built up a nice little retirement nest egg, given the clubs he has been with since Leicester success. But boy what an absolute basket case of a club, you could be forgiven for wondering if the players have a book on how long each of their new managers will last.

• Like 2

Ranieri (and any Watford manager) is a dead man walking, but I thought a couple of their new signings looked OK on Friday against Norwich in the first half at least - Kayembe and Kamara. Be interested to see who takes the job now.

• Like 1

Probably comes under other clubs rather than other games per se but quite a nasty fire at Molineux on early hours of Sunday morning https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/wolverhampton-wanderers-fc/2022/01/24/several-days-until-full-facts-of-molineux-fire-fully-known/

Faulty electrical appliance thought to be the cause. Whereas this non fire related damage at Bristol City purely the result of Cardiff fans https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/bristol-city-fc-cardiff-city-6535608

Many Saints fans remember the mayhem they (Cardiff) caused on a visit in spring 2006. 

Why wouldn't you manage Watford? No risk to your reputation if it goes poorly because everybody expects them to get relegated, they're always desperate for a new manager and you can probably get a nice hefty severance package guaranteed in a few months.

2 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

That is such a pointless football club. Their fans have been conditioned to want the manager gone if he loses a few as well. It's a poisoned chalice for anyone, and no one is ever going to be able to build anything there.

That must be a horrific club to support. Pointless.

Absolutely agree. Must be ridiculous supporting a club who give managers a shelf life of less than a year. With that philosophy they are always going to struggle to maintain a foothold in the Premier League 

56 minutes ago, saint1977 said:

Probably comes under other clubs rather than other games per se but quite a nasty fire at Molineux on early hours of Sunday morning https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/wolverhampton-wanderers-fc/2022/01/24/several-days-until-full-facts-of-molineux-fire-fully-known/

Faulty electrical appliance thought to be the cause. Whereas this non fire related damage at Bristol City purely the result of Cardiff fans https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/bristol-city-fc-cardiff-city-6535608

Many Saints fans remember the mayhem they (Cardiff) caused on a visit in spring 2006. 

Seeing the state of those bogs at Aston Gate after the Cardiff visit,that sheep must have put up one hell of a fight.

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, whelk said:

Blimey - nice little payday for Woy

5009B2A2-6A03-444C-928C-A922EF05BF00.jpeg

I hope Penas gets it. Then when he keeps them up, they can erect a Penas statue outside of the ground and cheer “ We all love Penas” 

...and other schoolboy-humour related jokes...

42 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

I hope Penas gets it. Then when he keeps them up, they can erect a Penas statue outside of the ground and cheer “ We all love Penas” 

...and other schoolboy-humour related jokes...

With the problems in recent times with statues, I'm sure they'd be grateful for ideas on how to keep their Penas statue erect.

I'm not sure Roy Hodgson needs the aggro does he? He must be financially comfortable already. He left Palace with a good degree of respect and is generally well thought of in football. I don't see he's got much to gain from going through the managerial revolving door at Watford except perhaps another pay off in a few months time when they decide to get another manager.

3 hours ago, Give it to Ron said:

Hodgson in at Watford he will get them organised at least.

I was surprised by this as thought he had retired after Palace 

Redknapp once said managing Southampton would be his last job in football. Think he ended up saying that a few times about different clubs.

Agreed it is a bit odd though as I thought Hodgson had some genuine sentiment towards Palace. But then again it must be reasonably local for him, he's not battling against any of his former clubs and as it's Watford, it's a one month rolling contract, so no big deal.