Other Games 21/22

whelk

5 minutes ago, Chez said:

How did we ever lose to Newcastle? They are so average. A big man up front and a big man at the back and that's it. They're basically Burnley. 

They were pretty dreadful, agreed. Terrible game all in.

Not a great advert for the 'best league in the world'.

• Like 1

Ffs .. sandcastle were woeful couldn’t play like that against us could they ! Neverton will get out of trouble no doubt but want them to suffer ! Owe them for the Semi at Highbury ! Smallest bloke on the park with header at the far post in the last min ,Agony ! Not liked them ever since ! Koeman affair rekindled that hatred ! 

Got to say that the red card is just the sort of tackle that, although probably isn't a red under the current rules (maybe it could be classified as reckless), really ought to be. He has zero intention of going for the ball, so basically is trying to kick the player and achieved it.

Totally understand the reason for the foul, but its still a filthy tackle. Hate seeing players go clean past an opponent, a break is on and then the player is just hacked. OK, so it's the same end result as being pulled back, just a cynical, but there's the physical violence to it too. Maybe their is no intent to hurt, but there is intent to make contact and take his legs from under him.

Even though it probably wasn't a red, I felt he deserved one.

18 minutes ago, Yozzman said:

Never seen so much diving and cheating. Ugly football but strangely entertaining. 

I don't find watching players cheat, feign injury and roll around like they have been shot all that entertaining. Spent half the game shouting at Richarlison to fuck off. Such a fucking pathetic...

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Chez said:

Got to say that the red card is just the sort of tackle that, although probably isn't a red under the current rules (maybe it could be classified as reckless), really ought to be. He has zero intention of going for the ball, so basically is trying to kick the player and achieved it.

Totally understand the reason for the foul, but its still a filthy tackle. Hate seeing players go clean past an opponent, a break is on and then the player is just hacked. OK, so it's the same end result as being pulled back, just a cynical, but there's the physical violence to it too. Maybe their is no intent to hurt, but there is intent to make contact and take his legs from under him.

I agree. To kick out at a player with no chance of getting the ball should be violent conduct and not serious foul play. The punishment should be the same as it would be for a kick at another player anywhere on the pitch.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Chez said:

Yeah, I thought it was a nasty challenge, ASM was full pace and Allan just takes him clean out with a sliding foul where his leading leg was clearly off the ground. Significant risk of serious injury. Was a yellow plus and I think the referee having considered all of the angles and evidence has the justification to make that a red.

A munter of a game and poor quality football, plenty of drama from the fouling and spitefulness. That late win has done Burnley in though, even with Saints happy to roll over for a probable 2-0 defeat at Turf Moor. 

10 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

That's a big blow for the current bottom 3 in my opinion. I haven't seen a way out for the 3 of them for months.

I dunno, Watford got a decent win last time out … 🤦🏻‍♂️

I can only assume that Everton thought they were owed a favour, because that was a stupid appeal to lodge. 

Then, a second appeal to downgrade the ban for excessive punishment was rejected.

Everton received an apology from referees' chief Mike Riley this season after they were denied a penalty during a 1-0 defeat by Manchester City last month.

Mike added today; 'They can fuck right off if they think we'll be levelling this shit out.......'

😄

Just now, DT said:

That Jimenez is a right dirty bastard. Bad fouls, and then pretends he’s injured too to try to ameliorate what should be two reds. Kevin Friend falls for it of course. 

Good Jimenez off. Deserved. 

36 minutes ago, DT said:

Feel very sorry dor him. Obviously distressed. 

Looked like his hammy went when he lifted his leg high to stretch for the ball. I did that a few years back and it feels awful. You know that you need to stop running ASAP because every stride is making it worse. 

I really feel for him.  :(

Edited by OttawaSaint

25 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

Why the love for dirty Leeds? We do play them next and they will be riding high following back to back last minute wins. We'll likely be coming off the back of 4 straight defeats

I have friends who are Leeds and they're good people. They've suffered a lot. I'd like to see them stay up. Obviously I want us to beat them though. 

Just now, OttawaSaint said:

I have friends who are Leeds and they're good people. They've suffered a lot. I'd like to see them stay up. Obviously I want us to beat them though. 

Live in the heartland of them. They are despite what a lot of people outside the area large and loyal fan base. That said though they become annoying as fuck when they do well. I don’t mind Leeds though, good club, well supported not as entitled as similar sized clubs. I’m amazed no billionaire has bought them, them seem to bounce from one lunatic owner to the next 

Leeds are six points behind us.

Our hard work of last month has been quickly undone after defeats to Villa, Newcastle and Watford.
It does show how tight the bottom half of the league is in regards to quality of teams. 
A bit like the EFL where it’s a free for all and everyone beats everyone.

I think we’ve just about done enough to stay up, but those teams at the bottom are scrapping for points, it could well be we finish around the 14/15th position.

Obviously I hope not, but we need to pick ourselves up quickly!

I don’t think there are many people who would’ve had Brentford winning two on the bounce, Leeds winning two on the bounce, Watford beating us. We need to be scrappy too.

22 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Leeds are six points behind us.

Our hard work of last month has been quickly undone after defeats to Villa, Newcastle and Watford.
It does show how tight the bottom half of the league is in regards to quality of teams. 
A bit like the EFL where it’s a free for all and everyone beats everyone.

I think we’ve just about done enough to stay up, but those teams at the bottom are scrapping for points, it could well be we finish around the 14/15th position.

Obviously I hope not, but we need to pick ourselves up quickly!

I don’t think there are many people who would’ve had Brentford winning two on the bounce, Leeds winning two on the bounce, Watford beating us. We need to be scrappy too.

We're really 7 points ahead as they're GD is hoŕrendous (like most clubs at the bottom), and they've also played a game more.

Not overly surprising to see them winning two on the bounce when they both played Norwich (Brentford also played Burnley at home).

Tbh when you see the jekyll and hyde nature of our last 6/7 games you can see why we're very unlikely to finish top half and why 12th-14th is a more realistic final position

8 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Is it really time for the, "yeah but what if we score minus four points from our last 12 games," posts again? Wouldn't be March without it.

It’s lucky for us the Brighton are as in and form as we are. Everton are in good form, Leeds are in good form, Newcastle are in good form, Watford are in good form and Burnley are like we were in the 90s. I’d take 17th in a heart beat at the moment. So much so I hope we lose on Sunday so we aren’t distracted by the cup look what happens for Wigan when they did 

Edited by Turkish
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Turkish said:

It’s lucky for us the Brighton are as in and form as we are. Everton are in good form, Leeds are in good form, Newcastle are in good form, Watford are in good form and Burnley are like we were in the 90s. I’d take 17th in a heart beat at the moment. So much so I hope we lose on Sunday so we aren’t distracted by the cup look what happens for Wigan when they did 

We could be cut adrift by the end of April.

26 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Dalek, is that you? :lol: 

29 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

We could be cut adrift by the end of April.

I won’t relax until we’ve got those 40 points in the bag, which looks a million miles away at the moment. We have 3 of the top 4 at home and we rarely beat the top teams then we have loads of away games against teams below us, real six pointers. Away at teams with great support and in good form fighting for their lives whilst our players are already in Dubai and Vegas. Worrying end to the season 

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1