Other Games 21/22

whelk

2 hours ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Watford beat them 5-2 at Goodison earlier in the season. As we discovered to our cost recently, they are capable of grinding out important wins. And Everton have the worst away record in all the English leagues this season.

Been saying it for a while now - they don't have the stomach for a fight and will be favourites to go down if they lose at Turf Moor.

To be fair you have been saying that. Assumed they'd have enough quality to get out of it but they seem to be getting worse if anything. Abolute shambles 

3 hours ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Watford beat them 5-2 at Goodison earlier in the season. As we discovered to our cost recently, they are capable of grinding out important wins. And Everton have the worst away record in all the English leagues this season.

Been saying it for a while now - they don't have the stomach for a fight and will be favourites to go down if they lose at Turf Moor.

🙏 

7 hours ago, Turkish said:

Not sure why the media seem relucant to give Viera any praise. Has transformed Palace this season they were great last night. Doing a much better job than Gerrard or Lampard. 

Yep, he's been a revelation, despite having some average players in his squad. N comparison, Lampard has had a shocker at Everton, and will hopefully take them down. 

7 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Still reckon they'll stay up. It will be annoying but they'll manage it somehow.

I agree, reckon Everton will stay up. Goodison will help them, they'll win at home to Brentford and Palace end of season , could get points at home to Man Utd and Leicester as well 

54 minutes ago, JRM said:

I agree, reckon Everton will stay up. Goodison will help them, they'll win at home to Brentford and Palace end of season , could get points at home to Man Utd and Leicester as well 

Brentford game will definitely be one Everton are targeting, but it looks far more difficult since the Eriksen signing. He’s given Brentford a huge boost.

1 hour ago, JRM said:

Did you see Palace destroy Arsenal last night? Nothing easy about a match against them.

Vieira has been excellent this season, Palace’s biggest issue has been consistency but to have near enough a whole squad out of contract and rebuild and be in the position they’re in is very good.

Would like to see Everton drop, they have no fighters in that team. Whereas Watford and Burnley are capable of having a scrap and a go for it. If Everton don’t win tomorrow I think they’re down.

Also, watching Man City currently, classic defending by Atletico by putting eleven men across their penalty area. Classic City passing it side to side, no end product so far. Crossing it seems to be their tactic - can’t see it working when the tallest forward player is Sterling.

57 minutes ago, waylander said:

Did you see Palace destroy Arsenal last night? Nothing easy about a match against them.

I did, they've looked particularly impressive against 'top' sides, but they play Everton away on Thursday in the last week of the season, nothing at stake potentially a few days after the cup final,  Brentford will be safe by then as well nothing to play for 

I recall Ben Foster saying this on one of his podcasts: "One thing I will say is, if you can get on top of Everton early doors, the Everton fans are horrible to Everton players. They get right on top of them. For sure they get into the players' heads.

All we said before the game is, 'right lads, we need to start fast and get on top of them'.

"We won the game 5-2 and we make a point of saying it, the Everton fans are horrible. If it looks like we're overrunning them, they get on the Everton players like crazy."

So, Goodison Park won't be too much of a factor if they do unfortunately stay up. Opposition players know how to play there. We don't, but, yeah...

1 hour ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Pompey currently drawing with Bolton. They'll be 12 points off the playoff places tonight if it stays that way. What a shame. 

Current odds for them to be promoted on PaddyPower....175/1.  🤣

Looks like our post-Covid 2 division social distancing from The-Smell-with-the-Bell is secure for another year.

7 hours ago, Wurzel said:

Current odds for them to be promoted on PaddyPower....175/1.  🤣

Looks like our post-Covid 2 division social distancing from The-Smell-with-the-Bell is secure for another year.

Yes but its important to remember they have a precious game in hand.

Were they to win that, then....they still would be nowhere near getting into the play off places.

Just the eleven straight seasons in the lower leagues, then. At least. 

Edited by CB Fry

1 hour ago, CB Fry said:

Yes but its important to remember they have a precious game in hand.

Were they to win that, then....they still would be nowhere near getting into the play off places.

Just the eleven straight seasons in the lower leagues, then. At least. 

At least they'll get to take part in their favourite Papa John's Trophy still, they might get lucky and get our u21s in the draw. 

Going to be some big sides still in league one next year with the likes of Derby, Ipswich, Sunderland, Bolton, Sheffield Wednesday, all teams with bigger crowds / better grounds than them, they're not even  a big team for the third tier! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, HarvSFC said:

I recall Ben Foster saying this on one of his podcasts: "One thing I will say is, if you can get on top of Everton early doors, the Everton fans are horrible to Everton players. They get right on top of them. For sure they get into the players' heads.

All we said before the game is, 'right lads, we need to start fast and get on top of them'.

"We won the game 5-2 and we make a point of saying it, the Everton fans are horrible. If it looks like we're overrunning them, they get on the Everton players like crazy."

So, Goodison Park won't be too much of a factor if they do unfortunately stay up. Opposition players know how to play there. We don't, but, yeah...

I think tonight will be a big decider in how things go, if Everton win at Burnley then it's virtually all over anyway. 

BUT if Everton do need home wins in the last week v Brentford and possibly Palace then I back them to get them with the Goodison crowd right up for it. 

Personally I wouldn’t give that a pen but in this day and age when your arms are around like that it can get given. Just naive defending.

I do think if Dean didn’t give it then VAR wouldn’t have intervened to make him check the monitor. 

1 minute ago, Whitey Grandad said:

I give up. The game that I love has become a complete joke. I can't be arsed to watch it any more.

What, you mean because VAR picked up an obvious foul that the on-field ref missed? 

I'm not happy Everton are winning by any means, but it was the right call to give it. 

4 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

What, you mean because VAR picked up an obvious foul that the on-field ref missed? 

I'm not happy Everton are winning by any means, but it was the right call to give it. 

Obvious foul? What foul? Mike Dean didn't think it was. Both penalties were jokes.

2 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Obvious foul? What foul? Mike Dean didn't think it was. Both penalties were jokes.

One of the replay angles shows quite clearly Lennon caught his trailing foot. It was the right call. 

It's telling that Lennon himself didn't complain too much. He knew he had caught him. 

Edited by Sheaf Saint

To be fair Burnley really are a poor side.  It's all hoof and hope, no craft,  guile or finesse about them.   Can't see where one goal is coming from, let alone two.  Reckon Everton will rack up a couple more as well.