Other Games 21/22

whelk

This games just petered out now. Job done for Spurs.

Three of the current bottom five will go. Norwich and Watford I think will go. The final spot will be decided between Burnley, Everton and Leeds.

Brentford are a 50/50. Their next couple of games will decide if they want to be part of the battle.

Newcastle are safe, sadly.

The big question is which of those teams have the most fighters in it, Burnley do, Leeds have some, based on what I’ve seen of Everton this season they’re in big, big trouble!

1 minute ago, Yozzman said:

Blimey Pickford has a rating of 2.8 out of 10 on Fotmob! I don't think I have seen a score that low.

He automatically has a couple of points deducted for his haircut. So that doesn't help.

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Then after that West Ham A, Man United H, Liverpool A, Chelsea H 😳

But Everton are a big club so that won’t cause any fear.

We know they’re a big club because their fans were on here in 2016 telling us.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Everton going down would be huge... I'd love to see them struggle in the Championship for a few years.

Given their Russian owner, proposed stadium plans and almost to the tune of 1/2 a billion squandered, would be great to see them go down and have a fire sale.

I see Everton in the same way I see WHU, Leicester, Wolves, Villa, Newcastle and I'm going to include Leeds too... these are all clubs who have much higher transfer records and clubs we are competing with on a small budget for the top half... eliminating as much of these as we can whilst filling the PL up with as many yo-yo clubs is ideal.

However, I think Everton will survive, all you need when you're 17th is 2 wins and you're practically out of it, they have quality players who whilst it didn't work tonight, can bring them out of it when they play those teams around them.

11 hours ago, whelk said:

Any players we want from Everton when they are relegated?

Anthony Gordon would be a big upgrade on Redmond and probably available for a realistic fee. 

If they go down they will be in serious financial trouble and will need to sell some major assets sharpish. 

12 hours ago, Badger said:

Don’t see Burnley putting the points together.

Shame as otherwise the Championship clubs would be preparing for a visit to the home of where dugouts started 

Everton still have to play at Turf Moor. Proper 6-pointer.

5 hours ago, The Cat said:

The violence at that game in Mexico at the weekend is absolutely sickening. 17 dead. People stripped naked and beaten to death. Absolutely crazy scenes.

Don't think this has been verified...

Local Gov there still saying no fatalities, I think...

7 minutes ago, StDunko said:

Don't think this has been verified...

Local Gov there still saying no fatalities, I think...

Local government are clearly lying. I'm not advocating that anyone watches the videos that are easily accessible but if you are unfortunate enough to see them there's clear evidence of dead bodies. 

4 hours ago, The Cat said:

Local government are clearly lying. I'm not advocating that anyone watches the videos that are easily accessible but if you are unfortunate enough to see them there's clear evidence of dead bodies. 

Ah, OK. I wasn't aware of that...

The thing with Everton going down is they'll probably come straight back up and be a force again. 

However.... the relegation will be etched in history for all time. They'd finally have popped their relegation virginity for the first time in about, what, 70 years and there's no getting that back.

I hope Burnley can be all Burnley and go on their traditional end of season run of form. It would keep the relegation battle interesting.

6 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

The thing with Everton going down is they'll probably come straight back up and be a force again. 

However.... the relegation will be etched in history for all time. They'd finally have popped their relegation virginity for the first time in about, what, 70 years and there's no getting that back.

I hope Burnley can be all Burnley and go on their traditional end of season run of form. It would keep the relegation battle interesting.

Would it be that easy for them though? They're saddled with FFP problems, they've lost most of their sponsors and their financial backing. They'd lose Calvert-Lewin, Richarlison, Pickford, Daccoure, Allan, Van De Beek - basically all their half decent players.

That leaves them with a core of Keane, Coleman, Davies, Gray, Alli which is predominantly championship level bar Ali, but that's still him living on past rep as he still looks a shadow of a PL player right now. They'd have very little money to buy any decent quality up front, in goal, in midfield to replace the quality they lost. Very tricky times if they go down in my opinion.

I still don't see them going down though, they'll probably win the next two games or at least 4 points. I still can't see a way out for the current 3, I don't think any of them are good enough and that will be Evertons saving grace as they're not really good enough either - just slightly less shit, same goes for Leeds.

If Burnley do enough to get out of it (I'm not sure they will now) then I think Leeds are more likely to be the victims than Everton.

Leeds, fundamentally are still an over performing Championship team: now stripped of their manager, the source of that over-performance, they look pretty weak. The injuries they've had have exacerbated that. This new guy could be a Pochettino but he could very easily be a Felix Magath/Carlos Carvahal/etc.

Everton, annoyingly have enough quality to cobble together the points. It will be a quite breathtaking achievement for Lampard to relegate them. I'd love it but I can't see it.

13 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

If Burnley do enough to get out of it (I'm not sure they will now) then I think Leeds are more likely to be the victims than Everton.

Leeds, fundamentally are still an over performing Championship team: now stripped of their manager, the source of that over-performance, they look pretty weak. The injuries they've had have exacerbated that. This new guy could be a Pochettino but he could very easily be a Felix Magath/Carlos Carvahal/etc.

Everton, annoyingly have enough quality to cobble together the points. It will be a quite breathtaking achievement for Lampard to relegate them. I'd love it but I can't see it.

Totally true and it's a shame.  I'd love Leeds to pick up points and drop Everton in it, even if they don't ultimately get relegated, just for the fun, watching them squirm.  I'd love Everton to drop but I wouldn't bet on it.  

7 hours ago, StDunko said:

They Everton fans I spoke to in the pub after we played them hated DCL, they said he was lazy and selfish...

Dcl would be shit in our press .. very lazy and moody player .. relies on bullying defenders and being physical..give him a 30 yd ball over the top to chase he just gives up ! 

2 hours ago, goneawol said:

Everton forum is a good read atm ! 
Don’t think points deduction can be applied until next season tho if any rules have been broken .

They Think they are in the clear but not so sure.

13 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Would it be that easy for them though? They're saddled with FFP problems, they've lost most of their sponsors and their financial backing. They'd lose Calvert-Lewin, Richarlison, Pickford, Daccoure, Allan, Van De Beek - basically all their half decent players.

That leaves them with a core of Keane, Coleman, Davies, Gray, Alli which is predominantly championship level bar Ali, but that's still him living on past rep as he still looks a shadow of a PL player right now. They'd have very little money to buy any decent quality up front, in goal, in midfield to replace the quality they lost. Very tricky times if they go down in my opinion.

I still don't see them going down though, they'll probably win the next two games or at least 4 points. I still can't see a way out for the current 3, I don't think any of them are good enough and that will be Evertons saving grace as they're not really good enough either - just slightly less shit, same goes for Leeds.

I can't agree with your assessment I'm afraid.

Everton have already lost more games than Burnley. In fact, only Norwich and Watford have lost more games than them.

Burnley's defensive record is much better than Everton's (and better than ours even).

Following their decent start, Everton's form since October is bottom of the league, worse even than Norwich or Watford. Burnley's points record over the same period is more than double Everton's.

Since the beginning of 2022, Burnley have made up 7 points on Everton and are now only a point behind them.

I really don't see them beating Wolves. They might get something against Newcastle, but then they play 4 of the current top 5. If they really do have too much quality, it's about time they started showing it because they haven't so far.

I am 99% confident that Burnley will finish above them and stay up. I'm just not sure about Leeds.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sheaf Saint said:

I can't agree with your assessment I'm afraid.

Everton have already lost more games than Burnley. In fact, only Norwich and Watford have lost more games than them.

Burnley's defensive record is much better than Everton's (and better than ours even).

Following their decent start, Everton's form since October is bottom of the league, worse even than Norwich or Watford. Burnley's points record over the same period is more than double Everton's.

Since the beginning of 2022, Burnley have made up 7 points on Everton and are now only a point behind them.

I really don't see them beating Wolves. They might get something against Newcastle, but then they play 4 of the current top 5. If they really do have too much quality, it's about time they started showing it because they haven't so far.

I am 99% confident that Burnley will finish above them and stay up. I'm just not sure about Leeds.

I'd love to see them go down don't get me wrong, I just can't see it yet. Next two games will clear it up in my opinion, if they get results in those two home games that should get them moving again. Those are the key though, if they lose those then yeah I'd come to your line of thinking and that they'll be staring down the barrel.

Not really unexpected, it's PSG's version of the Galacticos and they have appointed a manager known for pressing football and developing young players, then given him a forward line that don't press at all and half the team are over 30. 

I can see him leaving in the summer to even go back to Spurs to be honest.