Armando Broja

Matthew Le God

2 minutes ago, adriansfc said:

Why do people do this? Whether on here or social media, you'll find every opinion you can think of. It doesn't mean it's representative. 

I'm sure plenty in the summer knew more about Armstrong and were more hopeful. And after watching for 4 months I'm sure most think Broja is better. 

Irony lost on you then?

30 minutes ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

On that, how is Broja pronounced? Bro-jar? Broy-a? Bro-ya?

Apparently it's Broy-a in Albania but it's always been Bro-jar in this country and he is fine with either. That was according to a commentator on one of the games recently.

But yes he needs a song!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's an honour to be playing for this team'

FT: Southampton 4-1 Brentford

82411eb0-6b68-404d-b29a-405d2fc7f6be.jpg

Southampton

Southampton forward Armando Broja: "We started strong, it was a great goal by Jan [Bednarek] and delivery from Prowsey [James Ward-Prowse]. We started on the front foot pressing high and the boys were amazing.

"To play in your home stadium with the fans behind us, that gave us momentum and drive and we just kept going from there. Even after the equaliser we kept pushing."

On his goal: "It was a great ball from Oriol Romeu, I knew the defence were quite open there so I didn't think they would catch me from there. It was a good goal so I'm happy.

"When it's 2-1 they are driving forward and they could always get a lucky goal which changes the perspective of the game so when you get a third goal you can keep going.

"It's an honour to be playing in the Premier League for such a good club and be around a club like this and players like this so I'm thankful to be around the team. I am trying my best to help the team and score goals, that's all I can do."

On how the fans have taken to him: "It's amazing, there's no better feeling than having the fans behind you, it's amazing, touches the heart and to have that response I am really thankful for them."

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Get this guy permanently and that would be one hell of a statement. would probably take over £20million and a buyback clause of £40million though.

Zero chance. It's obvious that he'll be one hell of a player and has a huge contract. I doubt Chelsea will sell and if so, they'll want monster money. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, egg said:

Zero chance. It's obvious that he'll be one hell of a player and has a huge contract. I doubt Chelsea will sell and if so, they'll want monster money. 

They've also spent huge amounts on Werner and Lukaku recently and are one of the teams interested in signing Haaland. I think there's a chance we could convince them as long as a buy back was included. 

9 minutes ago, egg said:

It’s okay, we’ve got Armstrong and Adams who have a higher ceiling than Broja, anyway. 

After all, Armstrong scored more, in a harder league than Broja last season. Therefore he must be better, innit. 

• Haha 4

18 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Get this guy permanently and that would be one hell of a statement. would probably take over £20million and a buyback clause of £40million though.

To be honest, that wouldn’t be the worst deal for us.

Yeah 40m will look low in 2/3 years, however, He’s clearly destined to go right to the top and we’d sell him anyway.  

We may as well get a couple of good seasons out of him and get 20m profit for the pleasure. There aren’t going to be any striker better than him who are available to us. 

2 minutes ago, Dman said:

To be honest, that wouldn’t be the worst deal for us.

Yeah 40m will look low in 2/3 years, however, He’s clearly destined to go right to the top and we’d sell him anyway.  

We may as well get a couple of good seasons out of him and get 20m profit for the pleasure. There aren’t going to be any striker better than him who are available to us. 

The £20million profit would probably be eaten up in wages but the way to look at it is we'd be getting a top class striker for a few seasons for free. 

I'm optimistic we can get him, if not now then in the summer, on a permanent transfer. Chelsea have Lukaku and Werner who are both on long contracts, huge wages and massive price tags to live up to. Sure Broja's on a long contract too, but he's 20 without many (any?) appearances for Chelsea. He's not going to be on silly money just yet.

I think £20m and some favourable clauses for Chelsea will do it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Our best hope of keeping him is that they might be up for loaning him out for a 2nd season.

I agree, and I don't think that's unrealistic. Buying him is a different matter. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

The £20million profit would probably be eaten up in wages but the way to look at it is we'd be getting a top class striker for a few seasons for free. 

£20m feels low. If we were the only possible suitor, but every other Prem side will be looking at him too. Newcastle could do worse than offer £35m tomorrow. 

Are we another WBA/Lukaku, with an Everton/Newcastle/West Ham/Spurs blowing us out of the water?

Edited by Chez

I agree with the 2nd season loan approach, I think that's the most realistic option we have. He'd blow our budget on a perm, we'd be better off getting him on loan for a 2nd year and using the next 2 years to scout his replacement at a much lower fee.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

I agree with the 2nd season loan approach, I think that's the most realistic option we have. He'd blow our budget on a perm, we'd be better off getting him on loan for a 2nd year and using the next 2 years to scout his replacement before a big club snap him up.

not sure how much the loan costs us this year (in addition to paying his wages), but if he scores, say 10 goals this season, it will cost a damn sight more next season. Such is life.

• Like 1

Just now, Chez said:

not sure how much the loan costs us this year (in addition to paying his wages), but if he scores, say 10 goals this season, it will cost a damn sight more next season. Such is life.

I'd be tempted, if we can, to start negotiating that loan deal now. Clubs have extended loans in the January window before. I'm sure chats are happening, so we'll see what happens. 

We're happy he's here, he's happy he's here, Chelsea are going to be happy with how he's doing here.

• Like 2

Our best hope is a 2nd season on loan. He’s an absolute worldy of a player, by the end of next season he’ll be a 20+ A season striker. He’s just unplayable at times.

As an aside, Chelsea did let Salah and Kevin D B go, so they have history of letting good players go 🤞

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dman said:

It’s okay, we’ve got Armstrong and Adams who have a higher ceiling than Broja, anyway. 

After all, Armstrong scored more, in a harder league than Broja last season. Therefore he must be better, innit. 

Why not use Broja performing well as an excuse to sarcastically put down Adams and Armstrong, why be positive? Not like either of them scored an excellent goal today too...

Edited by TWar
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, TWar said:

Why not use Broja performing well as an excuse to sarcastically put down Adams and Armstrong, why be positive? Not like either of them scored an excellent goal today too...

I’m not putting them down bud, It’s you I’m putting down by calling out the utter nonsense you spout… like the above. 

Kinda goes to show that watching a player to base a judgement is far more important than their ‘stats’. It was obvious from minute one that Broja is, and will go on to be, a far better player than those 2, to everyone other than you. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I don’t think we’ll keep Broja, so for me our number one priority is to look for a new striker. Adam’s is okay, but he needs someone like Broja alongside him and unfortunately our other forward options aren’t up to scratch yet ( or may never be).

We look so weak and lightweight when he’s not up front.

Edited by Sarisbury Saint
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Dman said:

I’m not putting them down bud, It’s you I’m putting down by calling out the utter nonsense you spout… like the above. 

Kinda goes to show that watching a player to base a judgement is far more important than their ‘stats’. It was obvious from minute one that Broja is, and will go on to be, a far better player than those 2, to everyone other than you. 

Utter nonsense I spout? It's amazing you can say that given your views on Pompey and San Marino. Also, how was jwp who you don't rate? How was Ralphs set up? Notice we are ahead of Villa again. You are full of dreadful takes. You happen to get one right for once and can't stop banging on about it.

Right by pure luck as well, as there is no way you watched Vitesse, you just selected him to back as is not a permanent saints player so you can big him up, but only as a means to put down the rest of our team, as here.

Edited by TWar
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, Noodles34 said:

Anyone who thinks we are going to sign him must be seriously deluded, probably the same people who waving their phones around last night.

I suppose if we have any chance at all then the time to strike is now

He seems happy, we have the new takeover positivity in which we maybe able to convince him of the ‘project’, Chelsea already have players in his position

Do I think it’s realistic? Yeah

Cheap ? No

If I was Chelsea I think Id be looking at a structured deal in a similar mould to the one they agreed for Abraham, it suits both parties and protects their future profits

Lets see if the new owners want to make a statement here as we genuinely don’t know what our financing is like right now

• Like 2

https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1481197257949163528

@FabrizioRomano: Saints manager Hasenhuttl on Broja future: "We'd love to extend his stay here, he likes it. He wants to be with us, you can feel this in every moment". 🔴 #SaintsFC 

...but Chelsea are already planning with talented Armando Broja as part of their future project. #CFC https://t.co/Zeq4u4evRL

--------

Fabrizio is usually on the money. Would be personally very suprised if he doesn't start next season at Chelsea. The loan is working out perfectly for them, for Broja and for Saints.

But it also shows the problem with loans - you get attached to players that aren't yours!

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 1

I think Broja would benefit from another season of 40+ games under his belt before he hits the Chelsea squad.  The talent is obvious and that talent needs proper game time at the top level in the next couple of years to continue its development.  As good as Broja is, I can't see him getting that game time at Chelsea next season.  

What if Chelsea loaned him to us for another 2 seasons? Would suit them maybe to have a then pretty experienced striker aged 22-23 and would suit us to get 3 years out of him. 

Chelsea have always been quite clever with their buying power which means that they really do have to send out a ridiculous number on loan. Currently 22 according to https://www.chelseafc.com/en/teams/on-loan-players?pageTab=players but I think that they've been over 30 before. but having said that, this is one of those loans, also Gallagher at Palace, that seems to work for both parties. 

6 minutes ago, angelman said:

What if Chelsea loaned him to us for another 2 seasons? Would suit them maybe to have a then pretty experienced striker aged 22-23 and would suit us to get 3 years out of him. 

Chelsea have always been quite clever with their buying power which means that they really do have to send out a ridiculous number on loan. Currently 22 according to https://www.chelseafc.com/en/teams/on-loan-players?pageTab=players but I think that they've been over 30 before. but having said that, this is one of those loans, also Gallagher at Palace, that seems to work for both parties. 

It'll likely to come down to how things play out at Chelsea this season.  If Lukaku snaps in to gear or Werner improves they likely would be happy to keep Broja playing out on loan.  If not they'll need someone new to come in and bringing back Broja would make a lot of sense.

The league have changed the rules this year I believe, which is why a bunch of their kids got sold with buy backs, rather than being sent out on loan. (Inc Tino)

Broja is absolutely superb, and I'd be shocked if Chelsea let us buy him, but heres hoping. But, the odd cameo off the bench is completely different than starting most weeks and being the main man.  He's loving being part of this Saints team it seems, and why wouldn't he. I don't want to see him go back to Chelsea at the end of the season, and he's wasted sat on their bench next season.

It must be an incredibly hard decision for these kids. Less game time, which undoubtedly affects performance, and small fish in a hugely attractive big pond - or game time with little old us?

So many careers have fizzled out warming the bench as the big clubs buy ready made world beaters. But the allure of a big club.....

The fact that none of Chelsea's striking options have nailed down their number 9 spot makes it near certain he will go back there. Lukaku wants out already, Werner doesn't suit the Premier League and Havertz isn't conventional in that position. 

We could try and use Livramento as leverage in any deal, to 'sell' him back to them at cheaper than whatever buyback we have agreed with them or in part exchange, but their urgency for another right-back could be less severe than their need for a top striker, which Broja clearly is. 

As others have said, a second year on loan is the best we can really hope for. It would either maximise the potential fee Chelsea could then ask for from other clubs at the end of year two or the potential of the player they would then put back in the first team. 

I can see him ending up somewhere like West Ham. They need another striker to support Antonio, they could outbid us and it would keep him in London. 

Edited by Saint_lambden

23 hours ago, TWar said:

Utter nonsense I spout? It's amazing you can say that given your views on Pompey and San Marino. Also, how was jwp who you don't rate? How was Ralphs set up? Notice we are ahead of Villa again. You are full of dreadful takes. You happen to get one right for once and can't stop banging on about it.

Right by pure luck as well, as there is no way you watched Vitesse, you just selected him to back as is not a permanent saints player so you can big him up, but only as a means to put down the rest of our team, as here.

Hang on, you think it’s luck that I predicted a striker, who’s highly rated at Chelsea, tall, quick, strong and can finish, is and will be a very good player? 😂😂😂 and FWIW, I reserved judgement until I saw him in the flesh, I didn’t base anything of games at vitesse.

as for the others, JWP has improved in recent weeks (he was very much below par at the start of the season though). I still don’t rate him as highly as you and think he’s about our level in terms of being one of the better players at a club from 10th - 15th. But football is a game of opinions. 

Ralph - I’ve given him credit many times this season, in the main my gripe was his continued persistence with that shocking 4222 formation (see United now, it doesn’t work in this league. Teams too easily bypass the press once the intensity drops off and you’re left exposed at the back). Lone behold, we change style and formation and we errrr improve. 

If I remember rightly, you were wetting your pants over Perrud, his stats were amazing, I thought we were getting Roberto Carlos. The bloke can hardly get in the team. 

Fair you called Tino as being a good player, but if we’re gonna call luck….. unless you’re an avid Chelsea U23’s supporter. 

• Like 1