Saints 1-1 Man Utd - Match Thread

niceandfriendly

I am fully expecting us to get beaten by 5 or 6 goals today. We’ll start OK but as soon as Man Utd score the first goal our heads will go down and the players will give up. 

A lot will depend on the team Ralph picks and the way we play. If we play the 4-2-2 -2 high press with Djneppo, Redmond or Walcott on the pitch we are in trouble. 

We need to start with Salisu and Bednarek at centreback (I am hoping Bednarek only missed last week as his wife had just had a baby) and Perraud and KWP at full back and S Armstrong and Tino as the AMs if we are going to go for 4-2-2-2

Personally I’d play 3-4-1-2 against Man Utd today with S Armstrong as the 10 behind Adams and Adarma.

However shit we are still a great feeling waking up knowing will be off to pub and then game with full crowd and away fans. Fuck Covid 

not to mention my ‘transformational customer journey’

Edited by whelk
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, whelk said:

However shit we are still a great feeling waking up knowing will be off to pub and then game with full crowd and away fans. Fuck Covid 

It’ll be interesting to see what effect the crowd has, Ralph would probably have lost his job last season if the crowds were there to voice our frustration. Maybe Ralph would have changed his approach when he became aware of our dissatisfaction? Who knows, it’s been a messed up year and a half, and it’s given him a free pass, but things will surely change now one way or another.

26 minutes ago, suewhistle said:

I've just been given a lift to Southampton so a bit earlier than I would have liked but walking past Yates the bouncers are outside and they told me people are already in there drinking. Sheesh.. One way of not seeing a heavy defeat, I suppose..

There is nothing better than a breakfast beer on game day, other than the first beer on the train to a London away day! 

• Like 1

I think it'll be a loss, probably by 2 or 3, Man Utd are just too good sadly.  It's just like a different league really, what over £100 million spent on two players, on top of a squad that probably cost over £500 million. Did our likely first 11 even cost as much as Sancho? Can't be much more. 

41 minutes ago, whelk said:

I've been at a festival all week. It's unbelievably liberating to walk around in large crowds of smiling, happy people, cramming into tents to see bands and moshing without even thinking about covid. It's like a totally different world and I'm not looking forward to getting back to the old one tomorrow.

As for the game it will be 5-1 to someone. Probably Man Utd.

30 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

It’ll be interesting to see what effect the crowd has, Ralph would probably have lost his job last season if the crowds were there to voice our frustration. Maybe Ralph would have changed his approach when he became aware of our dissatisfaction? Who knows, it’s been a messed up year and a half, and it’s given him a free pass, but things will surely change now one way or another.

Ralph took us to the top of the premiership. with a pretty average side half way through last season, so calling for his head as soon as we have a bad run (with some injuries) is very short sighted imho.

The people on here claiming it has been such a hard time watching Saints since Ralph took over have very short memories

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Pierre said:

Ralph took us to the top of the premiership. with a pretty average side half way through last season, so calling for his head as soon as we have a bad run (with some injuries) is very short sighted imho.

The people on here claiming it has been such a hard time watching Saints since Ralph took over have very short memories

And thereafter we went into free fall, my point stands, one way or another the landscape would be different now had crowds been present last season. 

11 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

I think this match is coming too early in our development as a team. If we keep them to below five then we shall have done well. I’d like AA to score a hat trick though.

If AA and Che both score a hatrick, and we keep Man U below 5 it’s a win win! 

19 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

I think this match is coming too early in our development as a team. If we keep them to below five then we shall have done well. I’d like AA to score a hat trick though.

If any United jump up to celebrate in the new padded seats I'll be looking to the old guard to steam into them, flasks at the ready...charge 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Out of interest if we actually lose 4-0 and therefore hit your definition of doing well will you be coming on here and praising the team?

• Haha 2

58 minutes ago, JRM said:

If any United jump up to celebrate in the new padded seats I'll be looking to the old guard to steam into them, flasks at the ready...charge 

I shall be keeping a careful eye on that section and if there are any such unwelcome displays of affection I shall be making a formal complaint. That area is only for Saints supporters.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

The grey shirt halftime change was 21 years ago and ended 6-3. Yes, I was there :)

Hate to go MLG on you but the shirt swap was 3-1 under Dave Merrington with SFC 3 up at HT, late Man U consolation (Giggs?) and was there. 6-3 was following year with no shirt swap. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

The grey shirt halftime change was 21 years ago and ended 6-3. Yes, I was there :)

I was there for 6-3 win, Oct 96 but it was the previous April the grey shirt fiasco and that was a 3-1 win for us.   Won many a bet with people getting the 2 games mixed up.  Never thought a Saints supporter on our own forum would make that mistake though :)

Edited by 64saint
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, saint1977 said:

Hate to go MLG on you but the shirt swap was 3-1 under Dave Merrington with SFC 3 up at HT, late Man U consolation (Giggs?) and was there. 6-3 was following year with no shirt swap. 

Le Tiss claims he never noticed that Utd had swapped shirts.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, saint1977 said:

You sure? I remember it well as it was the same day Nirvana played at the Joiners. What a day that was!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Shroppie said:

The 6-3 and shirt change were different games

Just now, saint1977 said:

Thanks, gentlemen. I was not sure myself so I looked it up and still got it wrong.

Although we can hardly complain about commentators mentioning 9-0 when we go on about those results. What’s the betting that the 9-0 gets mentioned several times but the wins at The Dell are swept under the carpet.

• Like 1

I missed both those Man U games, first time I was drafted in by the Navy Seals for a special op, second unfortunately coincided with my alien abduction. Fortunately they let me watch the highlights between probing and taking dna samples. Actually, come to think of it I was at both. The bravo 2 zero escapade was just after.  I blame agent orange for the confusion. 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints vs. Man Utd - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 1-1 Man Utd - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic