Saints 1-1 Man Utd - Match Thread

niceandfriendly

1 minute ago, BallBoy said:

Genuinely worried about Stuart Armstrong. Didn't Ralph say no new injury worries. Too many of our senior players seem to be voting with their feet.

Me too. Sinking ship. Guess he’s off

Concerning.

Presumably he thinks this is his strongest starting line up, based on fitness and form in training.

No S Armstrong? I thought RH said we had no injuries in his conference? No news of a late injury to him (which we'd normally get). Wonder if Adam Blackmore will ask him about it in his pre-match interview.

3 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

And Stephens hasn't ?

Stephens has been shit his entire career, doesn’t change the fact that Bednarek was a big reason for us being terrible this year. He didn’t look much better at the Euros either. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RedArmy said:

Stephens has been shit his entire career, doesn’t change the fact that Bednarek was a big reason for us being terrible this year. He didn’t look much better at the Euros either. 

Yup, exactly. Bednarek was a disaster for much of last season. Stephens is dependable at this level. We need better but he does OK.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

What the fuck is that team?

OMG why do I bother hoping that my manager picks a decent team plus gets his subs right.

KWP right back, Tino right midfield, Tella left midfield and we might just do something as that will at least worry the opposition.

1-4 I’m afraid as Ralph has set out his stall for a small defeat.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, qwertyell said:

Whatever case you might make for some of the others retaining their place, it's indefensible that Walcott - who should've been hooked after about 20 minutes last week - is starting again.

Hope he has blinder, of course. But he won't. Of course.

Stuart and KWP got my 'Player of the Year' votes last season. Where are they?

3 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

OMG why do I bother hoping that my manager picks a decent team plus gets his subs right.

KWP right back, Tino right midfield, Tella left midfield and we might just do something as that will at least worry the opposition.

Can't even see us getting a goal here. Hope I'm wrong.

Has he lost the plot. That team that surrendered abjectly to Everton last week picked again in it's entirety. Flapper McCarthy in goal again, Ball watcher at Centre Back, Showboater at Left midfield, and how many tackles will he pull out of today at Right midfield. In my view they should have been left out today.

I hope you can see what I'm doing here, hoping beyond hope they will make me eat my words and all have a stormer. Somehow I can't see it but clutching at straws is the best I can see.

• Like 3

I thought that team selection was a brave decision last week. To stick with it is foolhardy.

I'm guessing that Ralph already has something new lined up. He'll no doubt just be waiting to be shown the door with a pocket full of loot I guess.

• Like 1

I don’t think anyone can really believe we will get anything out of this game. It surely has to be a case of damage limitation. I really don’t want another thrashing for people to bang on about for the next 20 years. 

Edited by Saint J 77
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, RedArmy said:

Don’t worry Walcott will have a good game eventually :?

I’m sure he’ll excel in the walking football league in a year or two, as long as he doesn’t pick up any serious injuries from swinging his pom-poms too fiercely 

• Haha 1

So Stephens now knows he can put in a performance like last week and not even get benched. He can slash an agricultural clearance into the crowd to give away a needless corner, he can let his man go on countless occasions and not make the slightest effort to mark or track him or even check where he is. Walcott can make zero contribution either offensively or defensively and he stays in the team. McCarthy can play the deaf mute and stay rooted to his line while a forward steals in without him clattering him and still he's our number one keeper. This could get messy and if it does Ralph is culpable. As others have said what is the story regarding Stuart Armstrong and why is it shrouded in mystery? Think Ralph has finally lost the plot. We'll probably go and play a blinder now and win 🙂

• Like 3

Jesus Christ. Everton put 3 past this team.

Man Utd put 4 past Everton. 5 past Leeds, sadly to say a better team than us right now.

Hold onto your hats for 9 with this awful selection.

Had high high hopes for Ralph. It’s diminishing by the game, it’s time for a change if he thinks this is our best side.

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints vs. Man Utd - Match Thread
4 minutes ago, Saint J 77 said:

I don’t think anyone can really believe we will get anything out of this game. It surely has to be a case of damage limitation. I really don’t want another thrashing for people to bang on about for the next 20 years. 

Don't worry, nobody will bang on about it for 20 years. It'll probably be less than 20 days till out next thrashing and people will forget all about this one.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

Minor calf injury for Stu according to Blackmore

Good news (kind of) - hopefully not one of those mysterious 'end of window' injuries.

I don't like the selection today, but that's irrelevant. It's Saints, at home, in front of fans.

Why not another 3-1 or 6-3?

COYRS!

13 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

Agreed with all this until you said "small"

• Like 1

This...just doesn’t make any sense.

There needs to be changes after that second half last week. 

Players need to know there is stiff competition for places.

instead we will now have mistake makers feeling comfortable and last season’s best players feeling pissed off and alienated.

He’s trying to get fired isn’t he?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

They trust him with a hammer ?

The nail will be there, just waiting to be hit and he’ll somehow hit it with the hand that’s not holding the hammer and then fall over. He’ll then turn to the crowd with that stupid smile on his face.

Edited by OttawaSaint

6 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

If this is a total thrashing then I'm finally joining the Ralph out camp. 

We did lose our first home game last season 5-2 against Spurs. Then Ralph changed things and we went on a good run. So maybe a thrashing today and Ralph will see he has to change things quickly!!

Edited by Pamplemousse

1 minute ago, Pamplemousse said:

We did lose our first home game last season 5-2 against Spurs. Then Ralph changed things and we went on a good run. So maybe a thrashing today and Ralph will see he has to change things quickly!!

If he hasn't figured that out after the same stuck record since January then he will not change now!

2 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

Wasn't it Stephens pushing up, caught ball watching by Kane, who played Son in for a sack full?

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 1-1 Man Utd - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic