Saints 1-1 Man Utd - Match Thread

niceandfriendly

Think I’d go with this

Forster

kwp.  Bednarek  Salisu. Perraud

livramento  jwp romeau  s armstrong

A. Armstrong Adams 

looks provably our strongest most obvious line up to me Livramento and kwp right side should give us strength in attack and defence down that side and Stuart Armstrong should be easily the first name on the sheet number ten wise,, although Ralph may see it different 

Edited by pimpin4rizeal
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, adriansfc said:

Any chance Forster plays? Everyone seems to put him in their line ups but it's not happening is it. 

When did mccarthy last win a league game or keep a clean sheet?

Well I agree with your sentiment but he was in goal for the 3 1 win over Fulham in May ..... the last PL win.

However Forster was in goal for the 4 wins before that.

The prosecution case rests M'Lord

McCarthy

Livramento, Bednarek, Salisu, Perraud, 

Stu, JWP, Romeu, Djenepo

Armstrong, Adams

Stephens for Djenepo if he'd switch to a 532 which is personally what I'd like to see for this game.

JWP and Romeu going to have to be a lot better this weekend. 

Hope SFC pull off a miracle on Sunday, but can’t see it with this manager and formation. The ST debacle is the latest issue stemming from a poorly run organisation. The fans have been incredibly patient with the Les/Pellegrino disasters, 9-0s, dire home record for years, etc and at most decent sized other clubs there would have been demos and a lot of unrest.

I wonder whether another really heavy defeat combined with the total indifference towards the supporters with £99 seats packed full of Man U whilst ours are outside queued for hours will finally cajole them into pushing back and insisting the board, owner and manager go now and are unwelcome? Stand up if you want Gao out, sack the board, sacked in the morning. 

The new CB signing looks another needless risk in the making as well. Thought some of the other summer transfer business was OK until that. Still, he will fit in well with Ralph’s philosophies around bottling leads https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/dec/07/torino-fluff-chance-derby-win-familiar-collapse-at-juventus-serie-a-italy

Edited by saint1977
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Think I’d go with this

Forster

kwp.  Bednarek  Salisu. Perraud

livramento  jwp romeau  s armstrong

A. Armstrong Adams 

looks provably our strongest most obvious line up to me Livramento and kwp right side should give us strength in attack and defence down that side and Stuart Armstrong should be easily the first name on the sheet number ten wise,, although Ralph may see it different 

I’d go for that too, but I don’t think there is a chance in hell Ralph will. He’ll have to squeeze in one of his pets at least, plus I think his philosophy will be not to lose by too many. Never know, he may surprise us?

• Like 1

That idiot Lawro has us to lose 0-2, we'll concede more than  that! 

"I would never normally be worried about Southampton facing a relegation fight, but things are not looking great for them right now after losing two such key players from their spine in striker Danny Ings and centre-half Jannik Vestergaard.

Saints have to spend some of the money they got for them on strengthening their team - otherwise, it looks like it is going to be a tough season for them."

10 hours ago, saint1977 said:

Hope SFC pull off a miracle on Sunday, but can’t see it with this manager and formation. The ST debacle is the latest issue stemming from a poorly run organisation. The fans have been incredibly patient with the Les/Pellegrino disasters, 9-0s, dire home record for years, etc and at most decent sized other clubs there would have been demos and a lot of unrest.

I wonder whether another really heavy defeat combined with the total indifference towards the supporters with £99 seats packed full of Man U whilst ours are outside queued for hours will finally cajole them into pushing back and insisting the board, owner and manager go now and are unwelcome? Stand up if you want Gao out, sack the board, sacked in the morning. 

The new CB signing looks another needless risk in the making as well. Thought some of the other summer transfer business was OK until that. Still, he will fit in well with Ralph’s philosophies around bottling leads https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/dec/07/torino-fluff-chance-derby-win-familiar-collapse-at-juventus-serie-a-italy

I agree but I think as a fanbase we've become very apathetic, rather than demonstrations I sense people are more likely to just stop going, especially after a break of 18 months many are out of the habit. 

This is a screenshot of one of the blocks in the Chapel,  one day to go and loads available, tickets have been on sale to anyone with a booking history last 7 years 

Screenshot_20210821-103003_Gallery.jpg

Edited by JRM
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

38 minutes ago, JRM said:

I agree but I think as a fanbase we've become very apathetic, rather than demonstrations I sense people are more likely to just stop going, especially after a break of 18 months many are out of the habit. 

This is a screenshot of one of the blocks in the Chapel,  one day to go and loads available, tickets have been on sale to anyone with a booking history last 7 years 

Screenshot_20210821-103003_Gallery.jpg

The tickets should have just gone on general sale to anyone a week ago, the club’s ticketing policy is just a joke. They seem to think buying a ticket to watch that load of shite as some sort of privilege.

If you want to go to the theatre, cinema or anything else you just turn up and buy a ticket yet to hand over £50 odd to watch a poor premier league side get dicked they make you jump though hoops - mental.

Edited by aintforever
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, aintforever said:

The tickets should have just gone on general sale to anyone a week ago, the club’s ticketing policy is just a joke. They seem to think buying a ticket to watch that load of shite as some sort of privilege.

If you want to go to the theatre, cinema or anything else you just turn up and buy a ticket yet to hand over £50 odd to watch a poor premier league side get dicked they make you jump though hoops - mental.

That's usually how you end up with plastic Mancs in the home end. I'd prefer the extra legroom.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, aintforever said:

It may not have even been a club decision but a PL decision - if it went on complete general sale then they'd have all been snapped up by Utd fans. 

That isn't to say there won't be a handful of Utd fans in the home end already, always been the case. 

I think personally what the club got wrong was the pricing. It's no surprise the Itchen South sold out immediately, it's a fair price to pay. The next jump up was £45 for one adult....going all the way up to £69 and then £89.

We aren't a London club who can attract tourists and outsiders. 

• Like 1

Opta stats

• In their last league meeting in February, Manchester United inflicted a 9-0 defeat on Southampton, the joint-biggest Premier League victory in history, with the other two games also involving Man Utd and the Saints: Man Utd 9-0 Ipswich in March 1995 and Southampton 0-9 Leicester City in October 2019.
  • Southampton won four of their last six Premier League matches against Man Utd at the Dell (L2) but have beaten them just once in 13 league meetings at St Mary's (D4 L8), a 1-0 win in August 2003 with James Beattie scoring the winner. They are winless in 10 home league games against the Red Devils (D4 L6), despite taking the lead in six of those games.
  • Manchester United have recovered 35 points from losing positions in Premier League games against Southampton, more than any side has against another in the competition's history. The Red Devils 10 comeback wins against Saints is also the joint most for one side against a specific opponent in the competition (Man Utd also 10 vs Newcastle).
  • Manchester United are unbeaten in their last 26 away Premier League matches (W17 D9) and a win or draw here would see the Red Devils equal the longest away unbeaten in English top-flight history, set by Arsenal in a 27-game run between April 2003 and September 2004.
  • Southampton have won their first home league match of the season in just three of the last 30 seasons (D12 L15), and haven't done so in any of their nine seasons since returning to the Premier League in 2012-13 (D5 L4).
  • Manchester United scored five goals in their season opener against Leeds United (5-1 win), while the most they have scored through their opening two games of a Premier League season is eight (in 2017-18 under José Mourinho and 2006-07 under Sir Alex Ferguson).
  • Bruno Fernandes is yet to end on the losing side in any of his 25 away Premier League matches for Manchester United (W16 D9) and avoiding defeat in this game would see him equal the longest away unbeaten run by a Premier League player from the start of their career in the competition, set by Gabriel Jesus for Manchester City (first 26 games between February 2017 and December 2018).
  • Like 1

Wouldn’t mind seeing something like this  in 4-2-3-1 personally, see if ward prowse could have more effect in a more forward role 

Forster

KWP   Bednarek  Salisu   Perraud

Romeu  Diallo

Livramento   Ward Prowse  S Armstrong 

A Armstrong 

• Like 1

Watching some of the Man C vs Norwich game. It’s basically a training match of attack vs defence. It’s like FIFA practice mode, Man C are just trying out stuff. It’s pretty boring to watch, Norwich are basically just kicking it away hoping not to get totally slaughtered.

It’s worrying, the gulf is getting bigger and it’s likely we’ll be doing the same tomorrow.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Wouldn’t mind seeing something like this  in 4-2-3-1 personally, see if ward prowse could have more effect in a more forward role 

Forster

KWP   Bednarek  Salisu   Perraud

Romeu  Diallo

Livramento   Ward Prowse  S Armstrong 

A Armstrong 

It's going to be really tough for perraud who's trying to find his feet & get used to the pace of this league playing next to Salisu who's still trying to find his!

not that we have much choice!

6 minutes ago, Mr X said:

It's going to be really tough for perraud who's trying to find his feet & get used to the pace of this league playing next to Salisu who's still trying to find his!

not that we have much choice!

Defo, that’s why I think he needs more support than say Walcott/Djenepo/Redmond in front of him.

At least we know S Armstrong will work hard in and out of possession 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Defo, that’s why I think he needs more support than say Walcott/Djenepo/Redmond in front of him.

At least we know S Armstrong will work hard in and out of possession 

Shame the master will go with a totally different lineup probably pick it out of a hat on the day 

• Like 1

Any sign of Stuart Armstrong in the latest training pics?

Wonder if he might have some kind of knock/injury as was strange he didnt get on the pitch vs Everton and I couldn't spot him in the latest pictures that covered everyone else.

9 hours ago, JRM said:

That idiot Lawro has us to lose 0-2, we'll concede more than  that! 

"I would never normally be worried about Southampton facing a relegation fight, but things are not looking great for them right now after losing two such key players from their spine in striker Danny Ings and centre-half Jannik Vestergaard.

Saints have to spend some of the money they got for them on strengthening their team - otherwise, it looks like it is going to be a tough season for them."

He's normally an idiot indeed. Didn't he finish bottom of the Euro 2020 prediction league against his colleagues? And against his clueless guests for the PL he struggles to beat them 50% of the time.

Having said that, it's hard to argue against anything he said above, other than 0-2 is being kind to us!

8 hours ago, Far que said:

Yeah lube up

They won’t be gracious enough for that, they’re going to absolutely fucking raw dog us.

Wonder how bad it would have to get for those in attendance to start turning their anger towards the dugout and executive box.

48 minutes ago, bpsaint said:

They won’t be gracious enough for that, they’re going to absolutely fucking raw dog us.

Wonder how bad it would have to get for those in attendance to start turning their anger towards the dugout and executive box.

Why would they do that? They’ll all be Man Utd supporters.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, cloggy saint said:

And? Brentford are currently in the top 3, do you think they'll be there next May?

More chance of them staying there then us not staying in the bottom 3 to be honest. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, OttawaSaint said:

Watching some of the Man C vs Norwich game. It’s basically a training match of attack vs defence. It’s like FIFA practice mode, Man C are just trying out stuff. It’s pretty boring to watch, Norwich are basically just kicking it away hoping not to get totally slaughtered.

It’s worrying, the gulf is getting bigger and it’s likely we’ll be doing the same tomorrow.

The last time Norwich came up City spanked them for 5 as well so the gulf is the same 😉

6 minutes ago, Dorchester Saint said:

I predict we will produce a ‘plucky’ first half display before being bummed without lube in the second half. Ralph will leave his substitutions late and when they come they will confuse us all. 

If that happens, yet again, then I could start to believe he's trying to get himself sacked.

Just now, Sunglasses Ron said:

I’m just going for being outclassed throughout. Would love to be proved wrong but going for 0-3.

I think similarly. No capitulation or really heavy scoreline, just beaten comfortably by the better team. 

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints vs. Man Utd - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 1-1 Man Utd - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic