Saints 1-1 Man Utd - Match Thread

niceandfriendly

Quite a big half here for Ralph. Need to show progress in defending a lead at half time. It's United, so if they win by a couple of pieces of magic, or are forced to work hard for it then fine. Some things are out of his control. But if we come out shit again and go down limply, then questions need to be asked about whether we can improve. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Pamplemousse said:

Attacking wise we're good. Defensively shambolic.

nothing changes....every game we are relying upon the quality of the opposition to score. rarely do we stop them scoring, or having loads of chances because we are defending well. 

We need at least one commanding CB. 

With the ball we are good, not brilliant but better than quite a few..

McCarthy - Strange, as when he does come out for crosses, he uses makes a good connection on the punch, or catches the ball. He's never a flapper. Needs to be more confident as that one that hit the crossbar early on was inexcusable again. However, Forster doesn't come out for crosses and I think that Matic header at the end goes in against Forster in the goalkeeper debate.

Livramento - Too good for us. Only thing he does wrong is the final ball, which can be forgiven.

Stephens - Very good, as we know he can be. Gets remembered too much for his mistakes, which hopefully won't come in this match.

Salisu - Solid, just can't make a forward pass. Keep it simple.

Perraud - Capable.

Romeu - Doing a job.

Ward-Prowse - Good early set-piece. Doing a job in the middle also.

Walcott - Waste of a shirt, which is a shame. Started last season well for us, but he's been on a decline ever since his first injury here. Think I prefer Redmond to him.

Djenepo - Defending well, made some dangerous runs, but as always, looks like he can't fully control himself.

Adams - Thought he looked a bit useless before the goal. Needs to hold the ball up more, so it doesn't come straight back, but we'll take the strike.

Armstrong - Those comparisons to Long were good. I thought he was just a poacher when he signed, but he's a real pest. Very lively. Can see him causing issues in the future.

Overall, come on Saints! Do not bottle this one, they don't have Cavani this year. Same again second half, they were rattled after our goal and we looked a lot more composed.

1 minute ago, LiberalCommunist said:

Its the hope that kills, and this is going to hurt........

was just thinking similar. Before the game I was fully expecting an absolute thrashing. Now we've gone and taken the lead, it gives you hope, so like you say, when the inevitable happens and they score a few, it will hurt more now.

9 minutes ago, obelisk said:

I suspect Utd will be comfortable given Saints reputation for giving up in the second half.

4 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Would like to think we replace Walcott with KWP and play him in front of Tino. But I suspect we will have ground hog day.

#bbcfootball

Mark Burt: Southampton punching well above their weight again. Minimal resources but so well organised and led. Definitely worth their lead.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Delighted to be one up at half time, even if I had to listen to it on 5live. However if this does finish as a United win, then already our "points lost from being ahead" record this season will already stand at 6 and we'll be well on course to beat last season's record.

That said it sounded like we were fairly well organised so hopefully we can get something from this game. A point would be superb. A win would be MASSIVE. I just think United will have too much for us in the second half but I hope I'm wrong.

Ralph needs to make the right changes...

Maybe Ralph deserves a little more respect after the first 45?  McCarthy: a great save down low which Forster may or may not have made + great 2-3 great punches out from dangerous corners.   Stephens and Salisu: both pretty strong this half. Stephens aggression made our goal.   Djenepo: really impressive half. Tino: incredible again.    Stu has injured calf so all the fury there was misplaced.  Only legitimate question is whether Walcott should be off in favor of Tella or Redmond (or possibly Tino, with KWP coming in.) I also like the fact that they seem to have done a slightly better than usual job of managing energy. It wasn't all-out blitzing all half. They were selective. Let's see if they can hold out against the onslaught.  I do think 1-2 is most likely result, but.....  it's been great so far.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bangkoksaint said:

Pictures on Sky of those unable to get in………what an absolute joke. SFC says they’ll be refunded…….they should be refunded and some 

Free admission for the rest of the season 🤣🤣

8 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Would like to think we replace Walcott with KWP and play him in front of Tino. But I suspect we will have ground hog day.

whether it works or not we have made a tactical change. 

2 minutes ago, NewYorkSaint said:

Maybe Ralph deserves a little more respect after the first 45?  McCarthy: a great save down low which Forster may or may not have made + great 2-3 great punches out from dangerous corners.   Stephens and Salisu: both pretty strong this half. Stephens aggression made our goal.   Djenepo: really impressive half. Tino: incredible again.    Stu has injured calf so all the fury there was misplaced.  Only legitimate question is whether Walcott should be off in favor of Tella or Redmond (or possibly Tino, with KWP coming in.) I also like the fact that they seem to have done a slightly better than usual job of managing energy. It wasn't all-out blitzing all half. They were selective. Let's see if they can hold out against the onslaught.  I do think 1-2 is most likely result, but.....  it's been great so far.

Yeah, a very good first half in fairness.

1 minute ago, skintsaint said:

Well....its a change for more stability at the back but hopes it means we just don't sit back and try to soak up pressure for 45mins.

Surely worth a go at this approach given the alternative (s) almost never works?

1 minute ago, Saint86 said:

Yeah, a very good first half in fairness.

really? We hung on for grim life for the most part. Got our goal, and for the five minutes before it we were very strong, but United were so sloppy throughout. If they had scored not us would you have said we played well in that first half? Not a chance.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, benjii said:

Don't think we have. He's just pushed Stephens to right back. Why you wouldn't bring KWP on, I have no idea.

Most of the Man Utd chances were from set pieces so guess the thinking is to give us another bit of height to defend those and Livramento to be able to track back and defend the right side in open play.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 1-1 Man Utd - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic