Saints 1-1 Man Utd - Match Thread

niceandfriendly

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 1-1 Man Utd - Match Thread
3 minutes ago, JRM said:

Ralph in again, fair play the players put a fantastic effort it, shame Armstrong couldn't finish those two golden chances 

So frustrating because I feel even though he didn’t place it well, AAs shot would have beaten McCarthy had it been at the other end. Boggles the mind we didn’t try and get in a GK. Sanchez is working wonders at BHA.

Really pleased Ralph made good, effective subs today at the right times. I’m Ralph in, always have been, but very happy to point out his substitutions are poor, so it was good that today he used them well. It was a great result, with some great individual performances. Livramento, wow, what a player. Stephens great, and for all the suggestions we lack leaders and aggression, he brings both - I get why he polarises the fanbase, but I do think I prefer him to Bednarek a lot of the time, I think he is capable of being good.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, OttawaSaint said:

Fair enough but I don’t have much faith in AM as a shot stopper.

Forster would have saved that one today, as he is great saving the stuff close to him, but in general, McCarthy makes more of the tougher saves. I have little faith in either, but there wont be a change so lets get behind them as best we can...and maybe appreciate when they do stuff well. We know there will be many more errors to moan about.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

what set up do you have?

It's just one of these

main product photo

1) it's something the whole household can use if they want to

2) I can keep my 3 road bikes for their natural environment. ( #4 is waiting on it's wheels before I finish building it ).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, saintwbu said:

Really pleased Ralph made good, effective subs today at the right times. I’m Ralph in, always have been, but very happy to point out his substitutions are poor, so it was good that today he used them well. It was a great result, with some great individual performances. Livramento, wow, what a player. Stephens great, and for all the suggestions we lack leaders and aggression, he brings both - I get why he polarises the fanbase, but I do think I prefer him to Bednarek a lot of the time, I think he is capable of being good.

I also prefer Stephens to Bednarek, but its like choosing between the two keepers. He won the ball well that helped us with the goal,but equally his marking of Pogba from one corner was absolutely dreadful. 

2 minutes ago, Chez said:

Forster would have saved that one today, as he is great saving the stuff close to him, but in general, McCarthy makes more of the tougher saves. I have little faith in either, but there wont be a change so lets get behind them as best we can...and maybe appreciate when they do stuff well. We know there will be many more errors to moan about.

Absolutely. 

Someone else mentioned it but in the end, the last 10 plus stoppages was actually quite comfortable.

Obviously we were joking about a late Utd winner but I didn’t feel that anxiety. Hopefully we kick on from here!

• Like 1

Just now, OttawaSaint said:

Absolutely. 

Someone else mentioned it but in the end, the last 10 plus stoppages was actually quite comfortable.

Obviously we were joking about a late Utd winner but I didn’t feel that anxiety. Hopefully we kick on from here!

agreed, equally they tore us to pieces in the first period and we could have been a couple behind. I wasn't that impressed by our performance to be honest, we have played a lot better and lost. I guess we dug in and looked solid, and that has been missing. As I said earlier in a post, happy with that, but there is huge room for improvement. Avoiding two straight defeats is massive.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Chez said:

you are right, we haven't conceded, but I disagree. It was pure luck United didn't score in the first half from the free kick. They nearly scored three times from the same free kick, hitting thr bar and having a ball cleared off the line. Massive amount of luck.

Clearing from the line is good defending, not luck.

• Like 3

Good result, I'd have happily taken a point before kick-off.

The goal keeper situation is ludicrous, McCarthy should he saving that. I'd like to see a new keeper this window if possible.

Armstrong will be disappointed, he really should have done better. He seemed to telegraph what he was doing, a little bit more experience and he'd be able to disguise it better. 

Still, can't be upset with a point. 

50 minutes ago, Saint Keef said:

Now listen all you perpetual fucking whingers. We've just drawn with a club whose bench is worth more than our whole squad. So.....for once.....

SHUT THE FUCK UP.

I was interested in team/squad values so looked it up.

United had a guy on the bench (Sancho) who cost more than our entire first team put together. They had another one in the starting XI (Pogba).

Aside from Greenwood, a youth product, they had ten players on the pitch at the start of the game who all cost more than Saints’ record ever fee paid for a player.

The gap between the haves and have nots in this division has never been greater.

Edited by The Kraken
  • Like 10

2 minutes ago, Papa_Waigo1 said:

Big positive is that we are scoring goals. Armstrong last week, Che this week (yes, it was given as an own goal due to deflection). 

yep. both goals coming from the press, to a degree. Would be nice to see us score from slow and fast attacks in the coming games.

2 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

I was interested in team/squad values so looked it up.

United had a guy on the bench (Sancho) who cost more than our entire first team put together. They had another one in the starting XI (Pogba).

Aside from Greenwood, a youth product, they had ten players on the pitch at the start of the game who all cost more than Saints’ record ever fee paid for a player.

The gap between the haves and have nots in this division has never been greater.

very good point. Individually they are simply better. To beat teams you need good tactics, a bit of luck and players to have good games. We don't look like a side that can take the tops team on, playing them at their own game, but with a £100m+ wage bill, we should always give teams a game.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Chez said:

no it wouldn't.

The shot was at a reasonable height so easier to save than the Greenwood shot which came through players legs

Both chances should have been taken but Armstrong is not as good as Greenwood at the moment

I think our miss was a bigger error tnan that of McArhty's as  most  would have expected Greenwood to score

I've learnt over the years to enjoy these type of results for what they are.

Easy to find fault, but I was expecting a 3+ defeat so...... result.

Crucially it will calm down the supporter base, we aren't quite as bad as we thought. Still right in the bottom half mix, but we can at least approach those games with a bit more confidence.

Tino, Stephens, and Adams were my stand outs today.

I thought Diallo and KWP really stiffened the side when they came on, Pogba was losing it towards the end, always a good sign.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, LeBizzier69 said:

Just seen Solskjaer’s post match interview…..moaning about how we’ve kicked them all over the park (essentially)….what a bell.

Rich coming from a team of divers.

So Maguire body checking Adams didn't happen. What did he expect us to do, lay down for another 0-9. Get used to it sunshine other managers are going to park the bus on your lawn.

Edited by derry
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, LeBizzier69 said:

Just seen Solskjaer’s post match interview…..moaning about how we’ve kicked them all over the park (essentially)….what a bell.

Obviously he’s been fooled by his own team’s diving antics.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LeBizzier69 said:

Clear big clubs(klopp/Solksjaer) want to get the refs interpretation changed, so they are going to lie about being kicked. Hope they don't get it but probably inevitable some big player will get an injury and they'll get their way.

Thought Pogba's pre-mediated foul on Adams at the end in response to adams daring to tackle Fernandes was probably the worst of the game.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, LeBizzier69 said:

He needed an excuse because his team were shite, and 3 yellows suggests they were hardly playing fair.

21 minutes ago, Sarisbury Saint said:

Jack Stephens was immense today.

He did play very well, I also like the way he's up for a bit of needle and moaning at the ref. However he continues to have a stupid mistake per game in him. Today's example - in the first half he waltzed out of defence Beckenbaur style (alright, Vestergaard) then stopped for no good reason and sold a poor 5 yard back pass to Romeu which he couldn't collect and which lead to foul and a dangerous freekick.

Edited by stknowle
needed to finesse post more
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, John B said:

The shot was at a reasonable height so easier to save than the Greenwood shot which came through players legs

Both chances should have been taken but Armstrong is not as good as Greenwood at the moment

I think our miss was a bigger error tnan that of McArhty's as  most  would have expected Greenwood to score

How much do you thing Greenwood would be worth in the transfer market as a matter of interest?

2 minutes ago, stknowle said:

He did play very well, I also like the way he's up for a bit of needle and moaning at the ref. However he continues to have a stupid mistake per game in him. Today's example in the first half he waltzed out of defence Beckenbaur style (alright, Vestargaard) then stopped and sold a poor 5 yarder to Romeu which he couldn't collect which lead to a dangerous freekick.

He did have a very good game, and really should be our Captain as he is excellent on the verbal. However he has to get rid of these brain fart moments.

I noticed that in the 4th quarter he was playing further forward, and was bullying any Utd player he could get near. That's what has been missing. 

26 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Clear big clubs(klopp/Solksjaer) want to get the refs interpretation changed, so they are going to lie about being kicked. Hope they don't get it but probably inevitable some big player will get an injury and they'll get their way.

Thought Pogba's pre-mediated foul on Adams at the end in response to adams daring to tackle Fernandes was probably the worst of the game.

No Fernandes early wild hack at Djnepo (eventually leading to his substitution) was the worst. It should have brought a yellow card and therefore later a red when Fernandes was booked for whining.

58 minutes ago, TWar said:

Just back from game, we looked very good at times. Shame Armstrong couldn't put away two golden chances and Macca did a dreadful dreadful job with the goal. Still, massively positive. Tino, what a signing 

Exactly as you say 👍

Obviously delighted the comeback and trouncing didn't materialise, but honestly I don't think we played that well. As someone else said, I've seen us play a lot better and lose many, many times. But there's no shame in grabbing points from a lacking performance, and hopefully it will spur the lads on and cheer up some of you lot! Tino is utterly fantastic, and I'm hopeful Adams/Armstrong can become a class partnership.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, John B said:

How much do you thing Greenwood would be worth in the transfer market as a matter of interest?

5 minutes ago, Ralph Fastenbüttl said:

Obviously delighted the comeback and trouncing didn't materialise, but honestly I don't think we played that well. As someone else said, I've seen us play a lot better and lose many, many times. But there's no shame in grabbing points from a lacking performance, and hopefully it will spur the lads on and cheer up some of you lot! Tino is utterly fantastic, and I'm hopeful Adams/Armstrong can become a class partnership.

That may be true but I think we can give the lads credit where its due considering how many times we have thrown away any points. It's fantastic to get a result early in the season and takes some of the pressure of subsequent games. Hopefully we can nab a few results with some easier games coming up. 

3 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

That may be true but I think we can give the lads credit where its due considering how many times we have thrown away any points. It's fantastic to get a result early in the season and takes some of the pressure of subsequent games. Hopefully we can nab a few results with some easier games coming up. 

Have we got any easy games coming up?

Plenty of positives after that performance not least the fact that we gained a point few of us expected. Tino continues to impress and when you think he has played twice ever in the Premire league how much more is there to come. Salisu was superb and Peraud looked much stronger for having last week's game under his belt. Romeu and JWP both not quite up to speed yet by their standards but much better today. Front two look to be developing a good understanding although AA will be disappointed to have missed that chance becaus it was the type he usually seems to bury. Stephens was much better this week and that is the level of commitment and concentration he needs to maintain. Theo was again a waste of space and, with KWP looking sharp when he came on, surely Raplph has to consider playing him right back with Tino ahead of him . McCarthy wasn't terrible but the goal was so soft and maybe cost us the win.

• Like 1

Mods, where is the MotM poll? Romeo for me by a country mile.

Gutsy performance from the lads, Djenepo looks fitter and better, Armstrong put Adams in the shade. Sorry Alex but you still give me the jitters. Good to see the LB cameo by KWP. Problem for Ralph looming. Tino needs to forget that he is cast as an eighteen year old youth player and relax a bit, nobody will mind if you smile occasionally. Peraud looks as if he will be a successful Premier League player. Nice one Salisu.

Smiles tonight, we didn't expect that result and although we are nowhere near the finished article, with some refinement and polish we should be able to beat a few teams. We must beat the Toon to consolidate this result and push on.

What is important is that we didn't really play very well but still got a result, exactly how the top clubs get by especially Man U over the past few seasons.

Is that a chink of sunlight flashing through the clouds?

Edited by Charlie Wayman
  • Like 2