Saints 1-1 Man Utd - Match Thread

niceandfriendly

A very unexpected result! I thought we were somewhat fortunate at the beginning of the game, that chance off the line was ridiculous - I thought that was in to be honest.

But we came into it, we composed ourselves as the half went along. Utd got a little frustrated and our press was causing them some problems, as illustrated by the goal. A shame that Adams can't claim it as his own, but I'm pretty sure that was wide had it not been for Freds intervention. 

The second half started with the Utd reaction, but we actually prepared for it in the sense of changing it up a little. I thought it took us a little while to get used to the formation though and we did sink too deep, invited pressure in the first period of the 2nd half - sadly that told, and they put on in the net. Should McCarthy have saved it? If i'm being really critical, yes. But it wasn't a glaring goalkeeping catastrophe.

We actually grew into the game after they equalised and we showed some courage and character which has been missing from this team. You'd have to say that an Ings would have made that 2-1, without a doubt, but we all knew Armstrong wasn't a like for like Ings replacement in goal scoring terms - I like him though, he's a real pest and he suits our style down to the ground - but he's not as ruthless a finisher as Ings.

Tino - looks like a superstar already to me, Chelsea will be buying him back next summer on the basis of these two games. You can see why he was so highly rated, he's just got that 'top level' swagger about him at such a young age. Defo. going to the top, so let's enjoy him whilst he's here.

Overall an unexpected and morale boosting result. Lots to build on from that.

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, East Kent Saint said:

I see OGS has been moaning like Klopp that the refs are letting too much go ! I think they are worried the advantage they have had on decisions going their way may diminish!

That’s exactly what they’re doing, it’s utterly pathetic. Keane even said at half time that Saints were punished for loads of silly fouls, the idea we got away with much is ridiculous.

• Like 1

I didn't notice Ole or the United players highlighting the half a dozen refereeing mistakes in one game that enabled them to score nine.

When they occasionally get an official who doesn't give them every single decision, it must come as a bit of a shock.

Bless.

Welcome to our fucking world.

• Like 10

Decent performance. Plenty of graft and some good technical ability from Saints too. Livramento looks a sensational talent and that was absurd for such a young player in only his 2nd match. Adams was excellent up top and I felt a partnership was starting to form with Adam Armstrong. Shame the latter missed that chance - it's probably a goal at Championship level - but this is the start of his career with us and I'm sure he'll acquire that Premier League finishing sharpness in due course. Perraud looked promising too and hopefully our transfer business will be having a positive impact on the first XI/squad. Good to see the tenacity coming from JWP and Romeu and Moussa seems to be benefitting from a regular start and I don't think Utd enjoyed how unpredictable he was. Sadly I don't think I enjoyed the similar levels of unpredictability from McCarthy! And special mention to Jack Stephens who could be seen talking to Tino and Salisu throughout the game. He might make the odd mistake but don't underestimate the value of someone doing that alongside a very young, new defence. 

Feeling a fair bit more confident about the season now if we have 90 minutes performances in our locker...

Edited by Ivan Katalinic's 'tache
  • Like 4

Stephens has encapsulated how we have got so much better at shithousery. We may not yet be at the same standard as the Italian national team but there is a definite improvement in this aspect of our game. 

For example there was a 2/3 minute spell around the 76th minute when we had won a free kick and in that time all we did was take the free kick and then a resulting throw in. After we took the lead many corners took 90 seconds to be taken. Throw ins often took 25 or 30 seconds.

Play a bit more like this and perhaps we will not drop so many points from leading positions.  We may still be a team of son in laws but I am beginning to hope that none of my daughters marries any of this team.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, The Kraken said:

The shot wasn’t deflected, was it?

No, it went through Salisu's legs, but no deflection. Now you could say he was unsighted a bit because of that but it was scuffed and he'll have received pass backs with more venom than that, it's a clear keeper error IMO. Its basically a scuffed shot down the middle of the goal from about 10 yards, straight at him, and it went through.

-------

OGS now moaning like Klopp, I am sure we will see some generous decisions now going the big clubs way because of it, I am sure Tuchel will probably join in next week.

Campbell and Keane didn't think it was a foul, I don't think most people playing Sunday league or similar would think that was a foul, he used his body but he won the ball fairly IMO. Souness said it was a foul but then went on a rant about big clubs needing to have to deal with different challenges and littler teams getting physical with them, otherwise the appeal of the whole league will go, which I kind of got the point, but then odd he thought it was a foul.

But as I said I bet some more decisions start going their way and bet some of the other big club managers pipe up. 

Edited by tajjuk
  • Like 2

Miles better today, some small improvements needed but overall that’s the type of 90 minute performance, focus and work rate we want to see. Tino excellent again, good cameo by KWP, please Ralph can they play together? 

Jack’s best game for a while, liked the look of Perraud. Salisu - that’s probably his best game for SFC so far. McCarthy still gives me jitters but at least was proactive in getting off his line today. Thought CMs were reasonable but more to come from them after injuries. Strikers busy, and combined well. Adams needs to hold it up slightly better as AA is more of a Long type (with better finishing) on the shoulder but Che has come on well overall. 

RH’s game management much improved, changed formation when needed, and hooked Theo early when not cutting it. He wanted more depth so important to use it. Today a step in the right direction, needs to be built on now. There is a point to prove at Newcastle after last year’s debacle. 

What wasn’t so encouraging was the ticket office saga. Well done to the club for subsequently putting it right but some uncomfortable Monday meetings with HR for some decision making staff in that area I sense. The gestures will have cost quite a bit of unbudgeted money.

All you can say to that is fair play Ralph, if McCarthy didn't have poppadom hands we might have nicked all 3. Only thing I thought he got wrong was starting Walcott - who looks completely finished as a player at this level, shame. He's gonna be another deadweight for the wage bill next season.

Finally the manager looked to have a bit of proactiveness and flexibility. 

Tino amazing, AA worked his socks off, Adams industrious as ever.

Midfield two were a little off in terms of passing accuracy, was like we had two Wanyama's in there. Good job Fred for them kept giving it back to us.

Isn't it great to have a bit of squad depth that we can call on - although I think Tella would have been a good addition for the last 15 in place of Armstrong, who had run his race.

Need a confidence building win against Newport now. Newcastle a big game next week.

1 hour ago, iansums said:

Love this.image.png.d448e7c0a7d4c845a320896d5eeaf1d6.png

When this happened Jack told him a few home truths - probably including I couldn’t give a toss who you are stop being a big girls blouse and suck it up buttercup. Jack walked away,  and Prowsey kept walking with Fernandes looked like he was running the Zaha repertoire - Fernades looked to still be in a daze from Jack verbal assault.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tamesaint said:

Stephens has encapsulated how we have got so much better at shithousery. We may not yet be at the same standard as the Italian national team but there is a definite improvement in this aspect of our game. 

For example there was a 2/3 minute spell around the 76th minute when we had won a free kick and in that time all we did was take the free kick and then a resulting throw in. After we took the lead many corners took 90 seconds to be taken. Throw ins often took 25 or 30 seconds.

Play a bit more like this and perhaps we will not drop so many points from leading positions.  We may still be a team of son in laws but I am beginning to hope that none of my daughters marries any of this team.

Or instead of time wasting we could try and score more goals?

3 hours ago, WokingSaint said:

FFS what is wrong with you people. You have to have one scapegoat each season to constantly criticise and insult. The shot was deflected. very difficult to get down to that at close range. He also made some good saves and dealt with some crosses. Do you really think FF is better ???!!!

The shot wasn’t deflected. 

Made saves and dealt with “some crosses”, so pretty much what any goalkeeper in the top four divisions should be doing? 

Yes I think FF is better, not by much but yes, he is better. 

• Like 5

Laughing my arse off at the sense of entitlement by Solskaer, Fernandes and others ! What with the Klopp rant yesterday you can easily see why they signed up for the aborted Super League so that the ‘little’ teams wouldn’t be able to rattle them….

Pathetic turds the lot of them 😇

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Mods, where is the MotM poll? Romeo for me by a country mile.

Gutsy performance from the lads, Djenepo looks fitter and better, Armstrong put Adams in the shade. Sorry Alex but you still give me the jitters. Good to see the LB cameo by KWP. Problem for Ralph looming. Tino needs to forget that he is cast as an eighteen year old youth player and relax a bit, nobody will mind if you smile occasionally. Peraud looks as if he will be a successful Premier League player. Nice one Salisu.

Smiles tonight, we didn't expect that result and although we are nowhere near the finished article, with some refinement and polish we should be able to beat a few teams. We must beat the Toon to consolidate this result and push on.

What is important is that we didn't really play very well but still got a result, exactly how the top clubs get by especially Man U over the past few seasons.

Is that a chink of sunlight flashing through the clouds?

Yes concerned about KWP he’s been awesome for us and can’t be happy on the bench. 

8 hours ago, WokingSaint said:

FFS what is wrong with you people. You have to have one scapegoat each season to constantly criticise and insult. The shot was deflected. very difficult to get down to that at close range. He also made some good saves and dealt with some crosses. Do you really think FF is better ???!!!

Not just by a little bit anymore. He's now moved streaks ahead of McCarthy who has regressed dramatically in the past 2 seasons, which really isn't saying much for Macca because Fraser isn't brilliant. That goal today, my oh my. Anyone trying to defend him for that needs to have a rethink. Stop allowing your biases to affect your view of what was an appallingly soft goal to concede.

Yes the powder puff shot took a slight deflection. Then it trickled through McCarthy's legs and into the net.

He's gone from being a half decent keeper to the worst in the league by a country mile.

Also regarding the scapegoat comment, let me try and help. The reason people criticise different players each week depends on which players played badly that day. So for example if one week Adams scores a hattrick of own goals people on here are going to criticise him. Doesn't mean he's a scapegoat or people want to insult him just for fun. It means he played badly. 

Alex McCarthy keeps making dreadful mistakes, so what people do on here is write comments about how dreadful those mistakes have been. If he plays superbly, I reckon people will write about how superbly he played. 

It's not as dramatic and sinister as you suspect. It's people talking about footballers playing badly, and in Macca's case playing badly consistently.

Edited by niceandfriendly

Very pleased to have my skepticism proved wrong with a well-deserved point. Still think we have defensive coaching issues....we can't defend free kicks sent behind our defensive line, or corners...which is going to be costly unless we sort it out fast. But think Adams and Armstrong are going to trouble defences. Livramento, Stephens. Armstrong, Romeo, Djenepo all played really well. Blamed McCarthy for the goal. but after watching the replay just think it was unfortunate combination of scuffed shot, blocked vision and through two sets of legs.

A result against Newcastle to follow this up please.

9 hours ago, John Boy Saint said:

When this happened Jack told him a few home truths - probably including I couldn’t give a toss who you are stop being a big girls blouse and suck it up buttercup. Jack walked away,  and Prowsey kept walking with Fernandes looked like he was running the Zaha repertoire - Fernades looked to still be in a daze from Jack verbal assault.

Good for Stephens. More players need to stand up to the Fernandes of this world. Refs have been told to let the game flow so that's what Pawson was doing. Fred gets on my nerves. Every single incident whether they involved him or not, here he comes with his moaning to the referee. Him and Fernandes were still grumbling at the half-time whistle. A right couple of pansies. 

I admit I was way off this result…really thought we would be spanked, but Ralph actually used his squad to maximum effect and that galvanised the team it seems. No powder puff performance this one…they battled for every ball and the press was near perfect. Great result and nice to kick off with points.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Singapore Saint said:

Hear hear, bring back the poll. Tino MOTM for me, astonishingly good.

After they scored, was thinking that that was it. But pleased with the outcome though thought we could have nicked it. Still concerned that we are so damned slow at starting 2nd halves. 

Salisu was my MOTM. He's taken charge of the back and bossed things. Had a fair few words with Perraud. Djenepo also had a fair few words with Perraud but think that they'll make a decent partnership on the left. One thing that was nice to see, Djenepo staying on his feet much more. Was slightly embarrassing the ease that he could go down. 

10 minutes ago, angelman said:

Not everyone. Just general tickets, and not season tickets - or have I misunderstood?

"Consequently, we will be giving all general admission ticket holders (both Season Ticket holders and individual match purchasers) a refund for today’s game (a credit will be given to Season Ticket holders’ accounts).

everyone according to this, although looks like a credit for STHs

The people running football seem detrimental make themselves look ever more silly. Che’s goal was credited to the player it struck on the way into the net. Under this new ‘rule’ it will be interesting to see how many goals this season are scored by goalkeepers. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Professor said:

The people running football seem detrimental make themselves look ever more silly. Che’s goal was credited to the player it struck on the way into the net. Under this new ‘rule’ it will be interesting to see how many goals this season are scored by goalkeepers. 

It is not a new rule. It has always been the case that if shot is going wide and it hits an opposing player and goes in then it is an own goal.

16 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

It is not a new rule. It has always been the case that if shot is going wide and it hits an opposing player and goes in then it is an own goal.

It was not (clearly) going wide. I've just rewatched it and am fairly sure it was on target (albeit probably heading to the opposite corner from where it ended up).

I don't see why they don't just give the benefit of the doubt to the striker on such instances. Is the dubious goals panel still a thing/ could it change?

I had Che in my fantasy football team this week...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Professor said:

Some day a goalkeeper will win the Golden Boot as well as the Golden Glove.

I've just completed the 'matchday experience survey' for yesterday !

I think they were very brave (or stupid) to ask but I do hope that they understand sarcasm !

I was waxing lyrical on all ticket related issues and used a lot of words when basically one would have sufficed :

CLUSTERFUCK

7 hours ago, whelk said:

What was the attendance.? Not showing on BBC 

I was one of many people that were just waved in through some exit gates that were opened up to clear the queues at around 2:15...

So I guess they don't really know...

3 hours ago, jawillwill said:

It was not (clearly) going wide. I've just rewatched it and am fairly sure it was on target (albeit probably heading to the opposite corner from where it ended up).

I don't see why they don't just give the benefit of the doubt to the striker on such instances. Is the dubious goals panel still a thing/ could it change?

I had Che in my fantasy football team this week...

I've only seen one angle and it looked like it was going wide. They only give it as an OG if it was going wide otherwise it would be given to Che.

1 hour ago, StDunko said:

I was one of many people that were just waved in through some exit gates that were opened up to clear the queues at around 2:15...

So I guess they don't really know...

There were a few empty seats around but not that many. Not quite a full house but not far off it.

Looked a bit empty at the start but we now know why! I used a friend's ticket: I still haven't received mine and didn't fancy a long queue based on how I've been feeling recently.

I'm now feeling a lot more positive about the season: Livramento a revelation, Armstrong looks like he'll be a real nuisance to opposition defences, Perraud will be fine once he adapts to the physical demands. I saw him looking to the bench before he went down with cramp, but he was doing some great covering and forward runs. The thought occurred to me that KWP was on the bench because he can play both sides and we demand a lot of our fullbacks: what a change to have a decent sub available.

Our aerial deficiencies apart I thought we had a lot more bite to our game. Having decent options off the bench also helped. Not sure what we do about Djenepo but it's always fun to guess what he's going to do!

With Salisu and the new arrivals we do seem to have a bit more pace in the side. I'd dearly like us to upset Mike Ashley next week: the Newcastle fans are fine, but sorry guys..

• Like 2