Saints 1-1 Man Utd - Match Thread

niceandfriendly

Just now, Dr Who? said:

Saints never fail to surprise me. We could have, should have won that in the end. 
On to Newcastle. 

Anyone know what is up with S Armstrong? 

Calf niggle according to Solent. 

Credit where it's due, thought we were good today. Sure, the odd lapse of concentration and sloppiness in possession but no more so than United in the second half who I thought were pretty awful. Soft goal to concede and looked all over the shop from defensive set-pieces in the first half but Bednarek helped us with that in the second 45. 

What I liked most was how forceful we were in the tackle and we made some tactical fouls when we needed to (Djenepo first half and Salisu second half, both v Pogba) to stop breakaways, which we've not been clever/cynical/nasty enough for in the past. 

Has anyone checked if Fernandes has stopped rolling around yet? The absolute fanny. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Saint_lambden said:

Calf niggle according to Solent. 

Credit where it's due, thought we were good today. Sure, the odd lapse of concentration and sloppiness in possession but no more so than United in the second half who I thought were pretty awful. Soft goal to concede and looked all over the shop from defensive set-pieces in the first half but Bednarek helped us with that in the second 45. 

What I liked most was how forceful we were in the tackle and we made some tactical fouls when we needed to (Djenepo first half and Salisu second half, both v Pogba) to stop breakaways, which we've not been clever/cynical/nasty enough for in the past. 

Has anyone checked if Fernandes has stopped rolling around yet? The absolute fanny. 

First half last week we were really good, but just had a feeling we were only around the corner from an error that would be costly. Just think we switch off and it is always going to be costly at this level. Quite promising result, but not seen any of today’s game. 

Very gutsy performance from the team today. 

After their equaliser I definitely thought we looked the more likely to win it. 

One point would’ve probably been three with a competent goalkeeper. 

We now have the foundations of a decent team. Play KWP at RB with Tino in front of him and look for a GK as our two continue to let us down. Park AA in the centre circle when we concede a corner which means two opposing  defenders have to stay put. AA has pace and given the service will raise his game. A vg result but oh so close to all three points. 

3 minutes ago, hasper57saint said:

We now have the foundations of a decent team. Play KWP at RB with Tino in front of him and look for a GK as our two continue to let us down. Park AA in the centre circle when we concede a corner which means two opposing  defenders have to stay put. AA has pace and given the service will raise his game. A vg result but oh so close to all three points. 

Forster hasn't let us down. He's not even played. Jeez some people.

• Like 3

Thoroughly enjoyed that after the white knuckle ride waiting for season tickets to arrive only yesterday!

Haven’t see goals back yet, looked like McCarthy error from afar.  Thought a point was fair, and should boost confidence.  In my opinion the two biggest pluses were both connected with “righting a wrong”, namely

- Finally Ralph shows tactical in-game management and astuteness, switches formation and avoids us caving in second half.  It won’t always be the right thing to switch, and certainly not always at half time, but this would in my opinion have gained us several more points last season and surely will this one too.

-Both centre backs who played 90 minuted were superb, with Stephens so pumped up he was immense.  And both adapted well when Bednarek joined them second half.

So I see glimpses in that we could get our goals conceded down from near,y two per game to nearer one which is the key stat for a club like us, per our four top eight finishes.

• Like 3

Certainly didn't expect that result.

McCarthy makes me nervous. With our current 2 CB's I'd still like to see us play with OR anchored in front of them for protection. I'd then play SA & JWP in front of him playing box-to-box. Stick Tella (Djenepo or Redmond) on one side and Adams on the other with Armstrong up front. Not so much a 4-3-3 but a 4-1-2-3 or 4-1-4-1. 

Edited by Sidney Fudpucker the 3rd

5 minutes ago, hasper57saint said:

Yep, agree with all said there. I thought Tino was bought to be the spare wheel, but he is getting in the team already. Yes, play both KWP at RB and Tino RW. I would also play FF on goal, but we do next week's team on another thread.

It was nice to be in the final quarter of a game against Man United with their fans fallling silent. Admittedly, they made some noise after their goal but apart from that, their silence spoke volumes about our team's performance. 

And didn't Ward-Prowse look happy when he was applauding the fans after the game? I know there is a lot of cynicism about players but he genuinely appears to love this club.

After that performance, our prospects this season look a whole lot better.

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, hasper57saint said:

Park AA in the centre circle when we concede a corner which means two opposing  defenders have to stay put. AA has pace and given the service will raise his game.

I agree - not doing so invites more pressure on our goal

Just now, Nordic Saint said:

It was nice to be in the final quarter of a game against Man United with their fans fallling silent. Admittedly, they made some noise after their goal but apart from that, their silence spoke volumes about our team's performance. 

And didn't Ward-Prowse look happy when he was applauding the fans after the game? I know there is a lot of cynicism about players but he genuinely appears to love this club.

After that performance, our prospects this season look a whole lot better.

Was stood in the corner of the Itchen next to the man u fans. Thought there were the quietest I can remember from them. We supported the team well today hope it continues.

42 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Mods, where is the MotM poll? Romeo for me by a country mile.

Gutsy performance from the lads, Djenepo looks fitter and better, Armstrong put Adams in the shade. Sorry Alex but you still give me the jitters. Good to see the LB cameo by KWP. Problem for Ralph looming. Tino needs to forget that he is cast as an eighteen year old youth player and relax a bit, nobody will mind if you smile occasionally. Peraud looks as if he will be a successful Premier League player. Nice one Salisu.

Smiles tonight, we didn't expect that result and although we are nowhere near the finished article, with some refinement and polish we should be able to beat a few teams. We must beat the Toon to consolidate this result and push on.

What is important is that we didn't really play very well but still got a result, exactly how the top clubs get by especially Man U over the past few seasons.

Is that a chink of sunlight flashing through the clouds?

Aaron Paul What GIF by Breaking Bad

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Isla Wight said:

Yep, agree with this too, always baffles me why we, and most other teams, pull everyone back.

Also, not a big McCarthy fan, but think he was a bit unlucky with the goal, clean strike and he probably saves it. Also thought the save he made early on from the Matic header was crucial. Ok, should save those, but they are easy to spill and I think if we conceded early could easily have folded.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

It's just one of these

main product photo

1) it's something the whole household can use if they want to

2) I can keep my 3 road bikes for their natural environment. ( #4 is waiting on it's wheels before I finish building it ).

I heard that those are wheelie good.

33 minutes ago, hasper57saint said:

15 minutes ago, Isla Wight said:

I thought it would have been worth lobbing a couple of balls forward for Armstrong to chase. After a couple of close opportunities or maybe even a goal for us the United defenders would have had to drop deeper which would have relieved the pressure on us somewhat.

Great result.  I thought we would blow it again but we didn't, at least not completely.  Feels like a win.  

We wanted Ralph to react to the game more and make changes when necessary.  He did it today.  

Salisu gave the ball away a couple of times but otherwise was impressive.  Looks like we might have got a gem there.  

Armstrong gets into all the right places and was unlucky not to score.  His finish when 1 on 1 with DeHea was disappointing but he generally looks sharp and fits right in.  

Big confidence boost by the attitude and the result.  Onwards and upwards.

• Like 1

Just now, egg said:

Yep, for all his faults, Stephens stands up to be counted and likes to have a word with anyone who needs to be spoken to. Good lad. 

Perhaps he's the captain we need....if he is going to be starting games this season. 

• Like 1

Maybe I didn't get the best of views but does anyone else think Che Adams was unlucky to have his goal called an own goal? Normally, if the intitial shot is on target, no matter how big a deflection it takes, the striker is credited with the goal, and I thought his shot was heading between the posts. Apologies if replays show it wasn't but if it was, that is the first on target deflected shot I can recall being called an own goal, and that includes a lot bigger deflections than that one. The stadium announcer called it an Adams goal so I was shocked to see later that he wasn't credited for it.

Edited by Nordic Saint
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Appy said:

Very gutsy performance from the team today. 

After their equaliser I definitely thought we looked the more likely to win it. 

One point would’ve probably been three with a competent goalkeeper. 

FFS what is wrong with you people. You have to have one scapegoat each season to constantly criticise and insult. The shot was deflected. very difficult to get down to that at close range. He also made some good saves and dealt with some crosses. Do you really think FF is better ???!!!

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Certainly got the right attitude. A bit limited, but certainly a proper bloke. 

I don’t think he’s limited as such. He reminds me of Fonte in the very early days, and when he played for palace before us. Very good for a lot of the game but capable of an absolute ricket in terrible areas that can get punished very easily.

7 minutes ago, WokingSaint said:

FFS what is wrong with you people. You have to have one scapegoat each season to constantly criticise and insult. The shot was deflected. very difficult to get down to that at close range. He also made some good saves and dealt with some crosses. Do you really think FF is better ???!!!

The shot wasn’t deflected, was it?

5 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

The shot wasn’t deflected, was it?

Not that I could see. 

Also, the routine save from Fernandes (?) header, he seemed to miss most of it with his hands and wear it in the face. Kicking crap as well.

Just looks all over the place, not confident at all.

3 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Not that I could see. 

Also, the routine save from Fernandes (?) header, he seemed to miss most of it with his hands and wear it in the face. Kicking crap as well.

Just looks all over the place, not confident at all.

I think he’s ok, he’s wobble coincided with the team generally being awful, then the alternating goalkeeper lunacy happened, that would shatter anyone’s confidence. I think he will be fine with a settled defence, I think the five at the back with the players we have available now will settle things, hopefully.

My ratings

Mc Carthy        6     Punched well from corners. I good save in the first half. Possibly could have done better with the goal
Livramento       8     Great debut from a young lad
Perraud            6     Decent debut.
JWP                  8     Apart from a couple of less than successful corners he played very well
Stephens          7.5  One of his best games for Saints. Gave away possession in the first half which led to a Fernandes free kick
                                 Otherwise he did really well and liked his attitude.
Romeu              7.5   Full commitment as ever. Occasional bad pass and lack of pace is a downside but great competitor
Salisu                7.5   Looks a good addition. Keep it up
Walcott             5.5   Disappointing. Can see him only being a squad player
Adams              6.5   Battled hard and really should have been given credit for his goal
Armstrong        6.5   Fought a largely lone battle up front. His pace caused problems at times. Would have been a hero if he had taken his chance.
Djenepo            6     Tried hard> Shows good ability at times but sometimes runs around like a headless chicken 

Manager            7.5  Made the right subs

Crowd               8   Good noise around the ground. Could do with more variation of songs     

Edited by spyinthesky