Chelsea 3-1 Saints - Match Thread

whelk

1 hour ago, Maya's Dad said:

can ralph just admit he has been getting it wrong, suck it up, and put tella in the starting 11

dont care if its for adams armstrong djenepo redmond or ely. on his appearances from end of last season he offers more than any of those

from those djenepo ely adams tella would be my pick. with armstrong to obviously come in when fit. yes djenepo is useless but redmond is equally appalling. at least with djenepo we can see some effort

While It does seem odd that Tella hasn't featured this season I don't think he should be replacing Armstrong or Adams as a frontline striker.  There is an argument for using his speed and run  instead of the others you mentioned.     I think the moment of truth is close for Elynoussi - yes, he probably deserved his second chance but he hasn't really made a strong case yet.

• Like 2

No matter how good a player is, when the wind and rain is as strong as forecast it is bound to have an impact,  everyone will get soaked on way into ground but lower tier doesn't get much protection from the elements, don't forget your waterproofs (good memories of the late 80s style fishing jackets on the open Milton Road terrace on a wet day) 

Probably playing Chelsea at a good time. Either we get a result (let's hope for a draw) and there's a proper story that Chelsea are in the first real slump of the Tuchel era. They're under a bit of pressure.

Or, we just lose and Chelsea are not in a slump, story over. Another normal day for all concerned.

• Haha 1

On my way up on the train. Hoping for the best today but prepared for the worst.

Looking back at the last time I saw us play at the Bridge. Feb 92, a very wet 1-1 draw in front of 7000 fans. How times have changed, except the weather.

Looking at the team sheet we played three left backs that night and had another come off the bench so four on the pitch at once. Surely a record? And we had a future left back playing for them. Could I be a lucky omen today?

Tuchel said apparently they are very much aware of our pressing and might have long balls in the armoury today... they must've seen how Bednarek dealt with the one last week.

I'm expecting a very good tactical battle today now, cannot wait for 3pm!

• Like 1

Today will show wether players are still playing for RH or wether they've had enough of his illogical decisions & favouritism.  It's hard to see where our first win is going to come from but on the basis of its usually when we least expect it we may get another point today to add to our other single points either that or a right hammering 😜

3 hours ago, Teddeer said:

Both Leeds and Burnley should win today so the expected loss at Chelsea will likely see us in the bottom three as we head into the international break.

Being the home teams they should be the favourites. Wouldn't surprise me to see Watford get something at Leeds though, and not beyond all realms of possibility for Norwich to get their first point of the season at Burnley. But yes, it is certainly likely that we will be bottom three during the upcoming international break. If that does happen, I really hope we are well clear of it by the one next month.

I wanted Djenepo to play but I don't think these conditions will suit him, boy will end up snapped.

Sadly, doesn't matter who we play in the wide positions they are all as bad as each other.

I think only change I would have done though is drop Redmond, start Adams and put Tella on wing, but we know the reason why Redmond starts is because he puts in a solid shift defensively and obeys Ralph's instructions pretty well.

This will be some back to the walls stuff today, let's hope it is enough.

Chelsea are playing Chalobah and have Hudson-Odoi at wing back some are saying, so we should definitely target him on that side.

I would also put Perraud on at some point ideally.

6 hours ago, Dorchester Saint said:

You Corbyn worshippers like to give it large about ‘kinder gentler politics’ etc but actually you’re all pretty nasty . 

Lol, only Corbyn ever said that, and he was talking about not killing disabled people through benefit sanctions, and not killing foreign civilians in pointless wars. You've seen too many right wing memes and trolls I reckon. 

Edited by Jonnyboy
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, sydney_saint said:

I think we should all aspire to be Redmond in our own lives. To be able to put in mediocre to poor performances in our job, and still be fine. Must be such a nice, stress free life for him. 

When you put it that way, he is a bit of a hero. Does what the boss asks, doesn't need to do anything exceptional or try to hard, massively overpaid, loving life...

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, nta786 said:

I wanted Djenepo to play but I don't think these conditions will suit him, boy will end up snapped.

Sadly, doesn't matter who we play in the wide positions they are all as bad as each other.

I think only change I would have done though is drop Redmond, start Adams and put Tella on wing, but we know the reason why Redmond starts is because he puts in a solid shift defensively and obeys Ralph's instructions pretty well.

Chelsea are playing Chalobah and have Hudson-Odoi at wing back some are saying, so we should definitely target him on that side.

looking like it will be chillwell and chalobah 

16 minutes ago, nta786 said:

To be honest, the best game Djenepo has probably had for us was when we last played Chelsea. Although he pretty much ended up snapped in that game.

3 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Chalobah, RLC, Hudson Odoi. Weak chelsea team that are there for the taking imo.

Not really there for the taking though are they? Still player for player are better than us in every position, plus a better manager, better subs etc.

Their team is a bit weaker than normal which gives us slightly more of a chance. That chance is still small though.

17 minutes ago, Gingeletiss said:

I see he learned nothing from last week. Once again, two right footed players, playing on the left, neither can cross with their left foot. Stupid, plain stupid.

Yep - shoehorning in KWP again in the wrong position. Was horrible watching him there last week.

Would also have liked to see Adams start, and Perraud at LB. Hope KWP is more like he was at City and less like last week.

Will be interesting to see which of Theo, Tella and Redmond plays further forward and which on the left. Have a feeling they will interchange throughout the match though.

1 minute ago, The Cat said:

Not really there for the taking though are they? Still player for player are better than us in every position, plus a better manager, better subs etc.

Their team is a bit weaker than normal which gives us slightly more of a chance. That chance is still small though.

They're rotating, thats there for the taking when you're playing the big teams! You'd rather play them full strength? And they aren't man for man better for us. Not every man anyway ^_^

3 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

They're rotating, thats there for the taking when you're playing the big teams! You'd rather play them full strength? And they aren't man for man better for us. Not every man anyway ^_^

Name a player we have that's better than their equivalent?

• Lighthouse changed the title to Chelsea 3-1 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic