Chelsea 3-1 Saints - Match Thread

whelk

Just now, Chapel End said:

At least it proves there is no big club bias and it was a foul

There is clear big club bias underlying refereeing decisions. Just take the man city penalty.

But in this instance, it makes no difference, saints deserve to be 3-0 down, so a bit of generosity to saints makes things look less biased and costs nothing.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

There is clear big club bias underlying refereeing decisions. Just take the man city penalty.

But in this instance, it makes no difference, saints deserve to be 3-0 down, so a bit of generosity to saints makes things look less biased and costs nothing.

We deserved a goal or 2 v Wolves but thats how it goes

1 minute ago, Saint86 said:

Yes, the sheer sophistication of the conspiracy against us is awesome to behold.

Just now, obelisk said:

Once again Chelsea just stroll through Saints midfield as though it's not there. Amazing that it's only 1-0.

I just can't see us scoring so not sure they will need more than the one 

Chelsea are playing some very good football. We were fortunate with the first var as we weren't playing for offside and were cut to threds. just fortunate lukaku was a couple of inches off. Thought second var could havce been disallowed for multiple reasons(ball looked out of play too), so not sure why Chelsea fans are booing.

Our threat has come from KWP/Tella on the left. Livramento looks off it today. Wonder if at some point we'll take him off for perraud and switch KWP. Wonder if Diallo might be the first sub for walcott, maybe changing to more of a 4-5-1.

Goal aside, we've been decent enough. Tella and Redmond have done well, Armstrong looks lively and KWP has been one of the best players on the pitch.

Unfortunately, our lack of physicality as an XI looks liable to cost us against a team with 3CBs, a CB at RWB, plus Lukaku and Loftus-Cheek, who are big buggers.

Our right side has been ineffective going forwards. Walcott very poor and missed a sitter. Tino running down blind alleys but defended pretty well.

Perraud on for Walcott please and move KWP over there.

P.s. right call to disallow Werner's header. Clear whack on KWP's ankle to turn over possession and create the attacking play.

Edited by benjii
  • Like 2

Livramento is ok going forward but is getting caught out in defence. Redmond is anonymous. I'd move Livramento forward and KWP across, bring on Perrauld and take off Redmond. Then Adams for Walcott and get SA on

Edited by Shroppie
  • Like 1

Yes I get that Chelsea are better, more expensive etc than us but what is bother me is 2 things

1) We have looked disjointed, flat, uninspired and clueless in pretty much every game this season. 

2) I’m assuming we have a game plan but what is it, with this formation and lineup we’re lambs to the slaughter at one end and blunt in attack. Are we hoping somehow to get through a game with pout a single cock up and then somehow get one to go in off Redmond’s arse to win? Cos that’s what it feels like. 

No ideas, no passion, no belief, no structure, no guts, no goals.

Edited by OttawaSaint

2 minutes ago, benjii said:

Goal aside, we've been decent enough. Tella and Redmond have done well, Armstrong looks lively and KWP has been one of the best players on the pitch.

Unfortunately, our lack of physicality as an XI looks liable to cost us against a team with 3CBs, a CB at RWB, plus Lukaku and Loftus-Cheek, who are big buggers.

Our right side has been ineffective going forwards. Walcott very poor and missed a sitter. Tino running down blind alleys but defended pretty well.

Perraud on for Walcott please and move KWP over there.

Yep, agree with all that

6 minutes ago, Saints foreva said:

Romeu and JWP losing another midfield battle. I think we need to chuck another body in there because this formation is doing us no favours. 

Absolute liabilities the two of them. Romeu cant pass and JWP is a plodder who looks like he is running through treacle

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Shroppie said:

Livramento is ok going forward but is getting caught out in defence. Redmond is anonymous. I'd move Livramento forward and KWP across, bring on Perrauld and take off Redmond. Then Adams for Walcott

But isn't this what everyone wants from the start

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nta786 said:

Danny Higginbotham and Mario Melchiot are the pundits on the stream I am watching.

Both agree that it was a foul on KWP so goal should have been ruled out. Both criticising speed of VAR to make the decision though.

It was foul and Atkinson should have given it when it happened, VAR should not have been needed

We need more composure when we have the ball rather than giving it straight back to them. Their movement is causing our 2 plodders in midfield a few problems when they attack with pace.

McCarthy has been good, so well done to him so far.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, obelisk said:

Once again Chelsea just stroll through Saints midfield as though it's not there. Amazing that it's only 1-0.

For all the flak the defence rightly get, they're exposed time and again by a weak midfield pairing that is overrun and outnumbered every week.

Looking like we're going to be 17th after 7 games, 0 wins. 

Or 18 points from 28 games, if you like.

It's not working.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Shroppie said:

Livramento is ok going forward but is getting caught out in defence. Redmond is anonymous. I'd move Livramento forward and KWP across, bring on Perrauld and take off Redmond. Then Adams for Walcott and get SA on

It’s just common sense isn’t it to do this. I’d imagine it’ll be one of the first changes the new manager - Eddie Howe or someone else - will make. They have done OK so far but you can’t see ways of improvement with this manager, stuck and run out of ideas. 

• Like 1

Just now, Matthew Le God said:

That is generous. He hasn't saved anything a keeper would struggle with and his distribution has been horrendous as usual.

He's did one bad pass that I can remember but otherwise has done everything that could be asked. Safe hands in terrible conditions and 2 saves with his foot, the one from Chillwell was excellent.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Chelsea 3-1 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic