Chelsea 3-1 Saints - Match Thread

whelk

2 minutes ago, Micky said:

Technology will prove it did. 

2 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

It did.

2 minutes ago, Chapel End said:

Didnt look it but it was shown by technology so fair enough

Technology that confirmed a win for the 'big' team ?

Just now, qwertyell said:

You don't think the last 28 games were a time to earn his wages (highest paid manager in our history)?

Why is that relevant? It would be extremely surprising if a PL Saints manager in 2021 wasn't earning more than a Saints manager in 2003, 1992, 1984, 1976, 1966, 1920 etc etc.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Chez said:

Perraud not excelling from the off ties his hands a little. That signing needed to be spot on and so far it hasn't. Give it time of course.

Its not like he's been given a run of games to settle in despite being the only senior left back...

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Chez said:

no doubt. I simply asked the question. Where were they? 

Ah I see.

In that case - not close enough to the scorer. In fairness Lukaku would have tapped it in if Werner hadn’t have got there first.

My point was more about recognising it was a well worked goals from Chelseas perspective.

An optimist's perspective: Did we see more evidence today that Southampton are competitive against the best in the premier league? My answer. A resounding yes. 

The next three games will be key. A chance for Diallo to really step up. And we will have Stuart Armstrong back. I think things will be looking a lot better by end of year.

• Like 6

Just now, hypochondriac said:

It wasn't an appaling decision get a grip. 

It was an unnecessary decision, but inevitable with Dean on VAR.

I thought the whole point of VAR was to correct 'clear and obvious' errors? There is an argument to be made that it could have been judged worthy of a red card, but it wasn't so clear cut that you could say Atkinson was completely in the wrong to give it only as a yellow.

It was a late and un-necessary tackle (as he wasn't going to win the ball), but IMO there wasn't a good enough reason to upgrade the yellow card to red on review.

Just Mike fucking Dean wanting to grab all the headlines again.

• Like 5

Just now, badgerx16 said:

Technology that confirmed a win for the 'big' team ?

It really didn't,  it ruled out two of their 'goals'. Get rid of the rose tints, we were beaten again fairly and squarely. 

• Like 1

First half were overrun too often but showed some bright moments.

Ralph made the right tactical move at HT and we played very well and got deserved equalizer

JWP challenge was never a red imo. Not off the ground, one footed, barely catches player. Yellow card was right call but once he was called to monitor you knew he'd change his mind.

2nd goal came from our inability to put pressure on the initial ball by (barkley?)

Felt we should have brought adams on for armstrong when down to 10, to give us a physical presence to aim for.

Shame Mccarth's save for 3rd didn't count. His save at 1-1 was top quality. No doubt his detractors will describe it as a routine save.

Good to see Tella finally get a game. Offered a lot with his pace. Hope he's a regular fixture in the team.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, RedArmy said:

Why? He’s been rubbish this season. 

I dont think he has been at his best, but saying he has been rubbish this season is a stretch.

I think he is currently our top scorer, whilst not saying much about our ability to score, he has had some value.

He is also coming back from injury over the summer, I think he is a little below fitness wise.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, DT said:

17th. One point above relegation spots. Think it may finally be the year we go

Our first 7 games have included four of last season's top 6...!

Man City

Man Utd

Chelsea

West Ham

The next 5 games will give a better indication of the season ahead.

Leeds H

Burnley H

Watford A 

Villa H 

Norwich A 

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

I thought the whole point of VAR was to correct 'clear and obvious' errors? There is an argument to be made that it could have been judged worthy of a red card, but it wasn't so clear cut that you could say Atkinson was completely in the wrong to give it only as a yellow.

It was a late and un-necessary tackle (as he wasn't going to win the ball), but IMO there wasn't a good enough reason to upgrade the yellow card to red on review.

I wouldn't have been surprised had it not been given but there's an entirely legitimate case there for a red. Its not an appaling decision its merely an arguable one. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, qwertyell said:

You don't think the last 28 games were a time to earn his wages (highest paid manager in our history)?

I think it depends on your perspective. Whilst we'd all like to do better, I suspect the Board are more than happy with Ralph and that he's meeting his objectives (survive)

The reason why I said it's time to earn his wages now is because really the next 3 to 5 games are critical, if we lose them God forbid then we'll really be in a hole.

We have had the hardest start by a country mile. So the fact we're not in the relegation zone, and three teams with far easier fixtures are worse than us, would suggest we'll be fine this season. Which we will be.

Not sure how we'll do against Leeds but we'll definitely beat Burnley, Watford and Norwich.

Saints play top sides. They don’t win. We say they played well it’s good we are playing lesser teams now and then we lose to them. We then get into dispute of whether mgr should be sacked. 

it doesn’t matter how good we play it does matter that we find a way to win. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1st half we played a flat 4-4-2 with our FBs sitting deep. Got overrun in midfield but had a few chances up top. Bad defending for their 1st, and don't understand why teams rarely put a player on the back post at corners anymore. Were (correctly) on the right side of a couple of close VAR calls to keep it at 1-1. Ralph mad exactly the right call at half-time and up until the red card we more than matched them, while deservedly equalising (great penalty). It was always going to end one way once JWP was sent off. I think the red was harsh, but probably would have been calling for it had that been Mount on Salisu. I actually thought Redders was our best player today, with Tino a close 2nd. 

The worse thing about today though is that we will now miss JWP for some winnable matches!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

I wouldn't have been surprised had it not been given but there's an entirely legitimate case there for a red. Its not an appaling decision its merely an arguable one

Which is precisely my point. Where is the 'clear and obvious' error?

There isn't one, ergo it shouldn't have been changed to red on review.

Just now, Pamplemousse said:

We have had the hardest start by a country mile. So the fact we're not in the relegation zone, and three teams with far easier fixtures are worse than us, would suggest we'll be fine this season. Which we will be.

Not sure how we'll do against Leeds but we'll definitely beat Burnley, Watford and Norwich.

Losing JWP for these fixtures is an issue. Luckily Stu is almost back.

Very silly tackle from our captain given the importance of the coming games.

2 minutes ago, NewYorkSaint said:

An optimist's perspective: Did we see more evidence today that Southampton are competitive against the best in the premier league? My answer. A resounding yes. 

nott really. We hung on for grim life in the first half. Could easily have been three down and we did nothing going forward at all. In the second we intercepted some balls and broke and scored. Chelsea looked like scoring at will. 

Competitive was when we had Morgan, Lallana et al going toe to toe with the big teams. We are a long way from that. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

Not a red card.

Played well really though.

Next five games critical now. Think we'll move up the table

I just can't see it myself, who are our match winners? Bielsa absolutely smashed us twice last year, can't see us beating Leeds. Burnley will be massive relegation six pointer 

5 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Red all day long

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Micky said:

It really didn't,  it ruled out two of their 'goals'. Get rid of the rose tints, we were beaten again fairly and squarely. 

Not wearing 'rose tints' at all. Sometimes irony and sarcasm are wasted on here. Go back up the thread, or any match thread, and count how many comments refer to 'big team bias'. Read the comments above about the upgrade of JWP's punishment, or the number of shirt pulls by Chelsea players that went 'unpunished'.

I actually believe that there is some level of psychological influence that refs experience, partly due to the media pressure that the more affluent and successful teams can bring to bear in trying to preserve their dominance. It is not necessarily demonstrated in concious decsions, as the conspiracy theorists would claim, but things that are marginal can be tilted.

• Like 2

My main worry is that we need to score to win and at the same time pray that there’s not a cock up from Bednarek and co at the back.

Our top scorer will be suspended.

I don’t really trust the attack or defence to get the job done. Hopefully RH spends a good two weeks figuring out a formation that allows us not to lose the midfield and also give us some creativity. A tall order with many of the players at his disposal.

9 minutes ago, Minsk said:

1st half we played a flat 4-4-2 with our FBs sitting deep. Got overrun in midfield but had a few chances up top. Bad defending for their 1st, and don't understand why teams rarely put a player on the back post at corners anymore. Were (correctly) on the right side of a couple of close VAR calls to keep it at 1-1. Ralph mad exactly the right call at half-time and up until the red card we more than matched them, while deservedly equalising (great penalty). It was always going to end one way once JWP was sent off. I think the red was harsh, but probably would have been calling for it had that been Mount on Salisu. I actually thought Redders was our best player today, with Tino a close 2nd. 

The worse thing about today though is that we will now miss JWP for some winnable matches!

Spot on.

Battling second half after Ralph rightly hooked Theo - his big mistake was picking him to start. Red card all day long and JWP should be told not to go near those sort of challenges because he is always well late getting there. Having said that Jorginho made a meal of it with his dying swan act. That swung the game in their favour and 3-1 was about the right scoreline in the end. Well played McCarthy. We always looked stretched to the full and liable to conceded but they are not European Champions for nothing. Games like this will not relegate us but we need to start winning soon and sort out a system that keeps us solid at the back and able to score goals. It's a shame we don't have enough tall, athletes in our squad because that is what you need these days in the Premier League.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Saint_Tony said:

have seen enough this season already. Will be surprised if we make it to 30 points. Norwich will be bottom for sure, then ourselves, Burnley and Newcastle for the other 2 spots

Hahahaha

4 down this year then?

Edited by Chapel End

Silly tackle by JWP but what I think is unfair is that the first thing the ref saw on the screen was JWP’s boot on the Chelsea players ankle. Them a reversed slow mo and then forward again. 

They've done that in other games too and it seems to bias the refs view before they’ve had a chance to look at it properly.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Losing JWP for these fixtures is an issue. Luckily Stu is almost back.

Very silly tackle from our captain given the importance of the coming games.

Nope I disagree there, Mendy plays a risky backpass to Jorginho, and as our pressing game rightly dictates we should be trying to pounce on it.

Unfortunately for JWP it was a foul, but not a red card, just one of those things. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, OttawaSaint said:

Silly tackle by JWP but what I think is unfair is that the first thing the ref saw on the screen was JWP’s boot on the Chelsea players ankle. Them a reversed slow mo and then forward again. 

They've done that in other games too and it seems to bias the refs view before they’ve had a chance to look at it properly.

This. I watched it in live TV where they showed dozens of replays in real time from different angles. Only the one Dean chose made it look dangerous, especially with a freeze frame and slow mo. Yellow at worst, but won't be overturned.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, nta786 said:

Nope I disagree there, Mendy plays a risky backpass to Jorginho, and as our pressing game rightly dictates we should be trying to pounce on it.

Unfortunately for JWP it was a foul, but not a red card, just one of those things. 

I'm not sure he needs to go for that challenge at 1-1. I still think its never a red card. Yellow card was completely the right call. Terrible decision by VAR to effectively overrule the ref imo.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Shroppie said:

This. I watched it in live TV where they showed dozens of replays in real time from different angles. Only the one Dean chose made it look dangerous, especially with a freeze frame and slow mo. Yellow at worst, but won't be overturned.

I actually thought it was a yellow until I saw it again at speed. He goes in with a fair bit of force from behind.

24 minutes ago, NewYorkSaint said:

The next three games will be key. A chance for Diallo to really step up. And we will have Stuart Armstrong back. I think things will be looking a lot better by end of year.

That’s not in doubt, the issue is we are crap against the dross around us, that’s where Ralph’s over complicated game plans are so infuriating.

1 minute ago, Baird of the land said:

I'm not sure he needs to go for that challenge at 1-1. I still think its never a red card. Yellow card was completely the right call. Terrible decision by VAR to effectively overrule the ref imo.

With hindsight, yep he shouldn't have gone for it, but equally if he had won the ball cleanly we could have scored who knows...

Sadly for us though we got the worst possible outcome and it completely changed the game 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Chelsea 3-1 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic