Best Saints 11 (players you saw play)

sifter

I made a list of my best saints 11, based on players I actually saw with my own eyes. Hopefully that explains why Allan Ball and Mick Channon aren't in my team and also maybe why Tino Livramento is there - my other choices were Jason Dodd or Nathan Clyne...)

Be interested to see your best 11 - it's a good way of telling how old you are ;)

1. Anti Niemi
    2. Tino Livramento
    3. Gareth Bale
    4. Jimmy Case
    5. Virgil Van Dijk
    6. Toby Alderweireld
    7. Matt Le Tissier
    8. Morgan Schneiderlin
    9. Allan Shearer
    10. Theo Walcott (2005/06)
    11. Rodney Wallace

Mmm Golac is a good shout but I never saw him. I did see Mark Wright maybe once but he broke his leg and transferred to Derby the season I started going to every match - otherwise I'm sure he would have been in my team as he looked good on the tele.

47 minutes ago, sifter said:

I made a list of my best saints 11, based on players I actually saw with my own eyes. Hopefully that explains why Allan Ball and Mick Channon aren't in my team and also maybe why Tino Livramento is there - my other choices were Jason Dodd or Nathan Clyne...)

Be interested to see your best 11 - it's a good way of telling how old you are ;)

1. Anti Niemi
    2. Tino Livramento
    3. Gareth Bale
    4. Jimmy Case
    5. Virgil Van Dijk
    6. Toby Alderweireld
    7. Matt Le Tissier
    8. Morgan Schneiderlin
    9. Allan Shearer
    11. Rodney Wallace

Is this based on only what they did at Saints or their whole careers? For example Bale and Shearer dont get in mine based on his time at Saints only, but certainly does if you're talking about their whole careers

I'm going with players based on their time at Saints.  I'm also going with a loose interpretation of 'best' to allow some personal favourites.

1. Flowers
2. Golac
3. Bridge
4. Williams
5. Wright
6. Svensson
7. Le Tiss
8. Moran
9. Lambert
10. Case
11. Rod Wallace

Could easily pick another team, or perhaps two, without any loss in quality/personal favourites.

• Like 1

A question that will get very fdifferent answers depending on age. And "Best 11" meaning line up and "Best 11" meaning best individuals are not nrecessarily the same thing
I've gone 4-4 2 based on their time at Saints (and yes, I can't fit MLT in ! )

Niemi

Golac

Van Dijk

Mark Wright

Steve Mills

Paine

Dave Armstrong

Keegan

Danny Wallace

Channon

Ron Davies

Edited by Wurzel

1 hour ago, VectisSaint said:

Peter Shilton

Ivan Golac

Gareth Bale

Mark Wright

Virgil van Dijk

Steve Williams

Alan Ball

Matt Le Tissier

Mick Channon

Ron Davies

Kevin Keegan

I think that is a great team but Terry Paine is the best player I ever saw playing for the Saints so I think I would replace Stevie Williams with him 

It was his crosses and Sydenham's too which made Ron Davies such a Potent Goal Scorer

But that of course would deplete the Mid Field 

It is so difficult as we have had so many wonderful players compared to the ones we have today

Peter Osgood Charlie George plus others were really good before they came to the Dell and Martin Chivers was really good at Spurs

Premier League Era for me:

Niemi

KWP        Svensson    VVD        Bridge

Wanyama    Davis

Le Tiss                                     Jay Rod (13/14)

Lambert    Ings

Shilton

Ivan Golac - Dave Watson - Michael Svennson - Mick Mills

Steve Williams - Matt Le Tissier - Jimmy Case - David Armstrong

Alan Shearer - Joe Jordan

Not saying they are all the best, or would make a best 11 if all playing at once,  but they were  my favourites, so apologies to the OP for stretching it a little. 

Edited by Toussaint
capitalisation

Based on how they played when actually wearing a Saints shirt:

Peter Shilton (Flowers close 2nd)

Ivan Golac

Mark Wright

Virgil van Dijk (just gets in ahead of Killer and Dave Watson)

Mark Dennis

Steve Williams

Jimmy Case

Dave Armstrong

Matt Le Tissier

Kevin Keegan

Steve Moran (almost went for Sir Ricky)

If we were talking about how good the players were throughout their careers, would have to fit in Shearer, Bale, Ball and probably Channon. Actually, should probably have put Micky in anyway but am judging him on his 2nd spell with us. I did see him first time around, but only went occasionally in those days (down the front peering over the wall, sometimes on tiptoes).

As I was an impressionable kid when I watched them through rose coloured specs, the Alehouse brawlers team are hard to discount for me. They werent technically gifted but they surely didnt take prisoners. As I say I was a starry eyed school kid and could never understand why the mighty Saints ever lost a game.

I hope youngsters of today have the same thrill as I had of the 'Old' Dell experience before the sanitised modern matchday experience.

3 hours ago, John B said:

I think that is a great team but Terry Paine is the best player I ever saw playing for the Saints so I think I would replace Stevie Williams with him 

It was his crosses and Sydenham's too which made Ron Davies such a Potent Goal Scorer

But that of course would deplete the Mid Field 

It is so difficult as we have had so many wonderful players compared to the ones we have today

Peter Osgood Charlie George plus others were really good before they came to the Dell and Martin Chivers was really good at Spurs

Fair comment, of course Painer should really be there, but I wouldn't swap Stevie Williams out, he could come instead of Keegan. Thing with Terry, although I saw him, he was very much in the twilight of his career. John Sydenham was probably as good, but again I really only caught the last couple of years. Williams and Ball were not the greatest individually but as a pairing I still believe they were as good as anyone (and I mean anyone). Would loved to have put Ossie in, but much as I admired his skills and what he did for us, he was really past his best when he joined and adapted his game accordingly. Not sure about Charlie, liked him but not sure I'd put him too near our best XI. 

I have been watching Saints for 60+ years and here is my suggestions based on players who wore a Saints shirt rather than how they went on to further their careers which means that the likes of Shearer and Bale miss out,and how they may fit into todays style of play with decent pitches etc .
Also have left out the likes of Osgood, George and Ball who were excellent players in their prime but may were just over the hill when they played for Saints.
Honorable mentions to those in brackets
Those in BOLD nailed on starters

Keeper                Shilton   (Niemi)
Right Back          Golac     (Dodd/Mills/Liveramento/KWP)
Left Back            Statham (Bridge/Dennis)   
Centre Half        Richards (Wright/Watson/Alderwiereld)
    "        "            VVD (Svensson)
Right Mid            Channon (Paine)
Centre Mid         Le Tizz (Ekelund)
    "        "             Steve Williams (JWP/Wanyama/Case)
Left Mid             Danny or Rodney Wallace/Armstrong/Mane)
Striker                Keegan (Ings)
    "                      Chivers (Davies/Beattie)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sifter said:

1. Anti Niemi
    2. Tino Livramento
    3. Gareth Bale
    4. Jimmy Case
    5. Virgil Van Dijk
    6. Toby Alderweireld
    7. Matt Le Tissier
    8. Morgan Schneiderlin
    9. Allan Shearer
    11. Rodney Wallace

Gareth Bale is the best left back you ever saw play for saints...? come on mate behave! He couldn't even get in Tottenham's team for the next couple of years at that age. Luke shaw mops the floor with him for saints with respect to ability whilst at saints, as does Bridge.

And livramento at right back... most of the forum want him put in the right CAM so KWP can play right back 🤣 In no way shape or form should anyone be considering him as saints best ever right back!

Also surprised there is no spot for Sadio Mane, especially given you've included a 16year old theo? Mane was absolutely unplayable at times and is hands down one of the most dangerous players i've ever seen at saints.

Edited by Saint86

1 hour ago, VectisSaint said:

Fair comment, of course Painer should really be there, but I wouldn't swap Stevie Williams out, he could come instead of Keegan. Thing with Terry, although I saw him, he was very much in the twilight of his career. John Sydenham was probably as good, but again I really only caught the last couple of years. Williams and Ball were not the greatest individually but as a pairing I still believe they were as good as anyone (and I mean anyone). Would loved to have put Ossie in, but much as I admired his skills and what he did for us, he was really past his best when he joined and adapted his game accordingly. Not sure about Charlie, liked him but not sure I'd put him too near our best XI. 

Paine was so much better than Sydenham him and Chivers got us to Div 1 Chivers went to Spurs Xmas 1967 probably the best Player who came from Southampton he was a Pup[l at Tauntons

I would not want George in our team just mentioned him

I think you are right about Williams and Ball so I would suggest there iare too many strikers so I would remove Keegan who was past his best from your 111 and replace him with Paine

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Likely not the best team, but my favourite team.

Tim Flowers

Jason Dodd  -  Mark Wright  -  Virgil Van Dijk  -  Mark Dennis

Steve Williams  -  Jimmy Case

Rod Wallace  -  Matt le Tissier  -  Danny Wallace

Alan Shearer

Probably not far off mine too, although i'd swap Rod Wallace for Steve Moran.

Shilton

Golac - Dave Watson/Mark Wright - Van Dijk - Bridge

David Armstrong - Alan Ball - Jimmy Case - Gareth Bale

Le Tissier   Alan Shearer 

subs: Niemi, Ekelund, Danny Wallace, Schneiderlin, Shaw, Keith Cassells!!!, Mane, Keegan, Channon

Bliimey we have had some good players

Bit of a contrast

• Like 1

In fairness you could just list the 1984 team. 

Those of us a bit ancient, will name players alien to youngsters on here, but here goes.

Shilton

Golac

Wright

Van Dyke

Bridge

Ball Williams Case LeTissier

Shearer Moran

If you didn't see Williams Golac Wright or Moran play you missed out on real legends.

What a team that would be.

Subs bench

Neimi Hollywood McGrath Bale Mane Keegan Wallace Chivers 

• Like 1

This is a really good topic. A very hard one to answer, I keep changing my mind, but here goes.

Shilts

Golac

Wright

Killer

Bridge

Williams

Ball

Holmes

Channon

Keegan

Lambert

Subs

Anti

MLT

Morgan

Mills

VvD

Shearer

Paine

In fact could easily pick 2 or 3 teams with real quality, Cant fit in Ron Davis, big Vic, Fonte, Dennis, Case, Boyer, Bale, and so many more other favourites over the years

Niemi

Clyne - Van Dijk - Fonte - Shaw

Schneiderlein - JWP

Tadic - Le Tissier - Mane

Pelle

Surprising lack of Shaw in these teams, especially as Bale only had one season for us and it was in the championship. Shaw had one of the best games i've ever seen any footballer have, let alone a Saints player, at Stamford Bridge when we drew 2-2 in 2013.

• Like 3

Peter Shilton

Stuart Williams

Virgil van Dijk

José Fonte

Luke Shaw

Terry Paine

Matt Le Tissier

Alan Ball

Mick Channon

Alan Shearer

Kevin Keegan

Ist sub Sadio Mane. But, then there's Ron Davies and one we only saw as a young left back, Bale, who went on to become one of the best forwards in the world (It's hard to fit all of the great forwards we've had into one team)

Edited by Nordic Saint

40 minutes ago, Dellman said:

I am amazed Terry Paine is left off so many lists. he was top creator and top scorer for 16 seasons and in all divisions. Was it so long ago some never saw him? 

At his peak, in 1963, he was one of the best players in the world: (155) 23/10/1963 ENGLAND v REST of the WORLD XI - YouTube

Another one who's largely forgotten now, our Welsh international captain, Stuart Williams, was singled out for praise by Pele after the 1958 World Cup Finals.

Edited by Nordic Saint
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, bangkoksaint said:

I appreciate its all about opinions but surely Shilton has to be no1 if you saw him play? Granted Niemi was class ………but Shilts was a different level again 

This was one of my hardest choices.  I went with Flowers because I just have fantastic memories of him in goal.  Shilton was clearly the better player, but I'm just not quite so fond of him. Perhaps because he refused to give me his gloves when we invaded the pitch at Notts County after the last game of the 83/84 season when we finished 2nd in the first division!

1 hour ago, Dellman said:

I am amazed Terry Paine is left off so many lists. he was top creator and top scorer for 16 seasons and in all divisions. Was it so long ago some never saw him? 

Just missed out on him.  Think I saw his twilight in the early 70s, when his status exceeded his contribution.  My Dad and his mates would have certainly had him in, he was Mr Southampton - the MLT of his era.

As to those getting depressed by comparing these players to the current squad I would encourage you not to do that.  We've had hundreds of players worse than the ones we have now.  If you choose to compare anything with the best on offer you are going to get miserable.  Better just to enjoy the memories and hope that some of the current squad end up having Saints careers worthy of being mentioned when we do another thread like this in 10-15 years time (sorry that's turned into a lecture!)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dellman said:

Yes, I only caught his last 2 seasons, and to be honest he was over the hill by then. You have to be mid/late 60s to have been there, unless uou were really a little nipper 

• Like 1

‐--------------Niemi--------------

Dodd---Svensson--van Dijk---Shaw

----------Oakley---Ekelund------

Bale----------Le Tiss-------Pahars

---------------Beattie-------------

Subs: Flowers, Clyne, Bridge, Alderweireld, Schneiderlin, Mane, Lallana, Lambert, Paul Moody.

1983/4 first season. Hence

Shilton

Clyne

Dennis (brilliant player but would be off by 30 minutes today)

Svensson M

Wright

Williams

Case

MLT

D Wallace

Moran

Lambert (would link brilliantly with Steve Moran)

Subs: Niemi, VVD, Mills, Mane, Bridge, R Wallace, Richards, Monkou, Statham, Pahars (fully fit), Tadic, Bertrand, Lallana, Morgan S, Beattie, Jordan (in his first season was superb), JWP 

Scary how poor the squad is now, weakest top flight Saints in my living memory. Livra will go on to have a good career and KWP was flying until Ralph starting messing him about. Aside from them and JWP it’s mid table Championship standard at best really, perhaps lower. To think with this heritage and standard of player - even across different eras - if some posters on here think the fanbase is happy with the status quo, Gao etc then they are deluded. 

As someone else said, it makes it all the more depressing seeing Redmond on the team sheet every week when you’ve had the Wallace brothers for years to watch, Mane, Pahars, Moran. 

Edited by saint1977