Saints 2-2 Burnley - Match Thread

Lighthouse

7 minutes ago, trousers said:

Back from the game... My first since Feb 2020

A win wouldn't have been undeserved, but relatively happy with 4 points from the last two games. 

Somewhat baffled by the Walcott selection, and him not being subbed sooner, but apart from that, a decent performance overall. 

I feel a safe-ish mid-table outcome for us this season. 

I said to a mate as Armstrong came on for Walcott that it was 73 minutes too late.

It was baffling how he stayed on so long.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, ButtikonSaint said:

Damn that was a frustrating last thirty mins... RH should have made changes earlier, Stu for Theo was so obvious (although Stu did look really rusty)

The boys did ok before then and that goal from Broja was really beautiful.

Hope we don't come to regret the two dropped points.

Tino is a baller ...wow.

Walcott was so bad it makes you wonder what he does in training to get a start, but agree S. Armstrong looks well off his old sharpness going to need some more minutes to get that back. Surprising Djenepo or Tella didn't play. 

Burnley played some decent stuff , other than last season when none of us could go we always struggle against them 

Dropping Djenepo for Walcott was moronic, just when the former and Perraud had started building a semi-decent understanding/partnership down that flank. 

Subs too late yet again. How many times over the years does the opposition manager, especially Dyche, make the first move before Ralph when a game is in the balance? 

4 points ahead of them but should have been six. Unfortunately though, we’re going to have to accept this lower-mid table medioricity whilst we have only 1 out of 5 good enough players in the 10 role who can’t finish/create enough, a CB (Bednarek) that continues to get bullied off the ball, a goalkeeper that concedes far too many soft goals/can’t kick a ball straight, a manager who’s game management is piss poor and an owner who won’t invest so that we don’t have to accept any of the above as the best we can get. 

On the plus side, if Livramento keeps up his current form to the end of the season we’ll be looking at £40m at least for him. What a player. 

• Like 3

Just watched the highlights. Being in the Northam End, I hadn't realised quite how woeful Bednarek's defending was for the Burnley equaliser. Baffling how an international player can't get the basics right in a scenario such as that. 

And, also, when I saw it in real time, I couldn't understand why McCarthy didn't go full stretch to try and make the save, and looking at the replay he indeed just seems to flop over half-heartedly to his left. 

Hey ho. 

Edited by trousers
  • Like 3

Fair result, we showed a little bit more quality but they had a couple of half decent chances at 2-2. Walcott & Mo fucking woeful. Typical Ralph performance, played half decent at times, but he didn’t effect the game at all. His in game management is decidedly average most weeks. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

Burnley haven't won any of their last 14 Premier League games. It's half a year since they last won a league game. They are in the bottom 3 and almost certain to be relegated. About the only team with a worse record than theirs in that period is...? Today, we made them look good. Drawing at home against them is as bad as drawing at home against Norwich. That has to be a massive wake up call. No more Walcott; no more McCarthy; KWP at right back, Livramento right midfield, Stuart Armstrong starting alongside him, Broja as our main striker with all of our other players instructed to get the ball to him at every opportunity - it's time to cut the cr@p.

Edited by Nordic Saint
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, trousers said:

Just watched the highlights. Being in the Northam End, I hadn't realised quite how woeful Bednarek's defending was for the Burnley equaliser. Baffling how an international player can't get the basics right in a scenario such as that. 

And, also, when I saw it in real time, I couldn't understand why McCarthy didn't go full stretch to try and make the save, and looking at the replay he indeed just seems to flop over half-heartedly to his left. 

Hey ho. 

McCarthy is a League One goalkeeper, at best. He is easily the worst goalkeeper in the Premier League and that alone is probably enough to see us relegated in spite of the fact we have great players like Livramento and Broja, who would grace any top six team.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Nordic Saint said:

McCarthy is a League One goalkeeper, at best. He is easily the worst goalkeeper in the Premier League and that alone is probably enough to see us relegated in spite of the fact we have great players like Livramento and Broja, who would grace any top six team.

Just back from the pub?

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, northam soul said:

I said to a mate as Armstrong came on for Walcott that it was 73 minutes too late.

It was baffling how he stayed on so long.

That was the most frustrating part of an otherwise absorbing game.   Why did Walcott start the game, and why was he not replaced earlier.  It's decisions like that by Ralph and the timing of his subs and tactics which call into question whether he's up to the task. 

That aside, hard not to enjoy the contest - just as you thought Walcott's miss was inexplicable, Redmond trumps it...how did that happen?   Redmond otherwise played quite well, but clearly there were outstanding performances from Livramento, Salisu, Broja, Diallo and Romeu.     Surprised more people haven't praised Romeu's game; his inclination to drive play forward and the quality of his passing today was exceptional - Diallo also good at speeding up movement of the ball and with an eye for progressive passing.

Question marks still in my mind about Elyounoussi; involved and pressed well but his touch and passing were at times substandard.   Perraud also yet to convince me he is nailing down the LB spot or that playing a naturally right footed player like KWP at LB isn't a better idea.  I don't understand the rejection of the idea that Ralph should try LIvramento further forward (where Walcott was masquerading today) and reinstate KWP to RB.    Just as Ralph was wrong to label Broja as an impact sub not a starter; he may well be wrong about Livramento's capacity to be equally as effective playing in front of KWP who was outstanding for Saints last season and is in the top bracket of RBs in the Country (in my view).     He was never 4th choice RB at Spurs as someone offered; it was yet another example of Mourhino's hasty and ill judged assessment of a young player with quality.....there's been many others.

• Like 3

I cant believe what i just read on another forum, apparently we are punching above our weight, and not other manager could do better than Ralph.

Now, I’m still giving him the next 3 games, and want 2 wins from them or I think he should be relieved of his job, but there are loads of managers who could, as a minimum, do the same results wise, and possible lots more that could get better results. Who they are I dont know, as I dont often gather knowledge on managers, I’d expect the club to sort that part.

Punching above our weight ffs.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Billy the Kidd said:

I cant believe what i just read on another forum, apparently we are punching above our weight, and not other manager could do better than Ralph.

Now, I’m still giving him the next 3 games, and want 2 wins from them or I think he should be relieved of his job, but there are loads of managers who could, as a minimum, do the same results wise, and possible lots more that could get better results. Who they are I dont know, as I dont often gather knowledge on managers, I’d expect the club to sort that part.

Punching above our weight ffs.

Go on explain to me how a new manager would stop players missing what you percieve to be easy goals.

Every team that has ever played has missed easy chances in all kinds of sports including myself and probably you that is why they are called chances

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, John B said:

Go on explain to me how a new manager would stop players missing what you percieve to be easy goals.

Every team that has ever played has missed easy chances in all kinds of sports including myself and probably you that is why they are called chances

Did you quote the right post? I didnt say anything about the manager stopping players missing easy goals.

Managers do however have total accountability for:

1. Formations

2. Players selected

3. Tactics

4. Substituions

Whilst Ralph has been far better than Jan - May 21, he couldn’t exactly be any worse, could he, so he is coming from an extremely low bar to improve upon.

His inclusion of Theo, and not hooking him until 70 mins was pure arrogance/stubbornness for me, as was putting AA on at 89 mins.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, austsaint said:

That was the most frustrating part of an otherwise absorbing game.   Why did Walcott start the game, and why was he not replaced earlier.  It's decisions like that by Ralph and the timing of his subs and tactics which call into question whether he's up to the task. 

That aside, hard not to enjoy the contest - just as you thought Walcott's miss was inexplicable, Redmond trumps it...how did that happen?   Redmond otherwise played quite well, but clearly there were outstanding performances from Livramento, Salisu, Broja, Diallo and Romeu.     Surprised more people haven't praised Romeu's game; his inclination to drive play forward and the quality of his passing today was exceptional - Diallo also good at speeding up movement of the ball and with an eye for progressive passing.

Question marks still in my mind about Elyounoussi; involved and pressed well but his touch and passing were at times substandard.   Perraud also yet to convince me he is nailing down the LB spot or that playing a naturally right footed player like KWP at LB isn't a better idea.  I don't understand the rejection of the idea that Ralph should try LIvramento further forward (where Walcott was masquerading today) and reinstate KWP to RB.    Just as Ralph was wrong to label Broja as an impact sub not a starter; he may well be wrong about Livramento's capacity to be equally as effective playing in front of KWP who was outstanding for Saints last season and is in the top bracket of RBs in the Country (in my view).     He was never 4th choice RB at Spurs as someone offered; it was yet another example of Mourhino's hasty and ill judged assessment of a young player with quality.....there's been many others.

Agree with that, our attacking play just hit the brakes as soon as Ely or Walcott got involved. Romeu superb. 

KWP will hopefully remind Ralph of  what a great player he is on Tuesday night. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Billy the Kidd said:

Did you quote the right post? I didnt say anything about the manager stopping players missing easy goals.

Managers do however have total accountability for:

1. Formations

2. Players selected

3. Tactics

4. Substituions

Whilst Ralph has been far better than Jan - May 21, he couldn’t exactly be any worse, could he, so he is coming from an extremely low bar to improve upon.

His inclusion of Theo, and not hooking him until 70 mins was pure arrogance/stubbornness for me, as was putting AA on at 89 mins.

You do not seem to have any understanding of football

Saints played quite well yesterday and would have won if Redmond and Walcott had scored with easyish chances

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, John B said:

Saints played quite well yesterday and would have won if Redmond and Walcott had scored with easyish chances

But, and this is on Ralph, you do expect Walcott to miss pretty much every chance, the players who could and should have been picked ahead of him less so.

• Like 2

Just now, John B said:

Why get personal about my knowledge of football - does it make you feel better if you have more knowledge than other people? That is a bit of a prickish thing to say, but says more about you than me.

I was at the game yesterday, and we played ok, and yes, could have won. But we didnt. yet again. If you are happy to keep drawing or losing, again, says more about you than me.

And again, Ralph was dodgy with his initial team selection, and subs. Ive said repeatedly I wouldn’t sack Ralph, yet. But fail to win 2 of the next 3 I will be hoping he does, as 1 win in 11 in inexcusable, regardless to our improvement on the lowest base in footballing form from Jan-May 21.

• Like 2

As always there’s a few panicking on the forum…

missed some key chances yesterday, but 4 points out of 6 is a decent return from the last two games. 

A couple of wins over the next few games (Watford, Villa, Norwich) and we can all relax a little. 

Tino and Broja…wow. A level above the rest! Still unsure on Perraud. Salisu still had a good game despite 2 conceded…

• Like 2

Their equaliser - no denying it was a superb finish, but by Christ that's poor from Bednarek to allow the shot. Really naïve defending.

Draw probably a fair result as both teams had chances to win. I'm happy enough with 4 points from Burnley and Leeds, as long as we don't mess it up in the next few games.

• Like 1

Away on holiday so watched on TV.  For all the great things he did, Tino clearly at fault for first goal.  Thought he played very well apart from that, as did Diallo who has looked full of energy these last two games.

Disappointed not to win it but a point note end of the world.  Watford game looks tougher after yesterday but if we win that then seven points from three games is what I was hoping for.  

15 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Because he keeps choosing the players that continue to make those mistakes. Players like Walcott chosen over Tella, Armstrong or even Djenepo and then leaving it far too late every game to make subs. What's the point in bringing A Armstrong on in the 89th minute?

Dropping leads is a common Ralph trait. This isn't based on today. It's based on the last two years and I'm finally sick of it. The buck stops with the manager.

Im still a Ralph fan......( just) and its almost impossible to argue with your points about team selection ie Walcott over Tella etc and his late subs. But we are playing  quite well and it also begs the more important question : replace him with who ?

And dont say Howe ! :)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, John B said:

Saints spent the first 60 mins playing with 9 men until he moved Mo inside, and another 10 with 10 until he replaced Theo. 
That was entirely on Ralph. Who’s doesn’t understand football?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sheaf Saint said:

That miss from Redmond was criminal. Imagine if that had happened with 10 mins to go at 2-2. Would he still have been laughing about it then I wonder?

I don`t think he was laughing as such - just incredulous at his own ineptitude.  Having said that I do not subscribe to the continual condemnation of Redmond - I still think that as `supporters` we should perhaps show  less criticism and more encouragement.   But maybe it`s just me. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Snopper said:

I don`t think he was laughing as such - just incredulous at his own ineptitude.  Having said that I do not subscribe to the continual condemnation of Redmond - I still think that as `supporters` we should perhaps show  less criticism and more encouragement.   But maybe it`s just me. 

Yeah we should show more support. Redmond has been awful last season, and one before that, but has played as one of our better players, and that shouldn’t go unnoticed, particularly if this latest miss make ships confidence disappear one more and he regresses, as we are the ones losing out.

• Like 2

That miss from Redmond was criminal. Imagine if that had happened with 10 mins to go at 2-2. Would he still have been laughing about it then I wonder?

Yeah probably, his natural reaction whenever he fucks up is that big stupid grin on his face, it winds me up no end. Ok he shouldnt be slitting his wrists at it but fuck me show some remorse for not tapping the ball into the net from a yard. Hide your head in your shirt, stand their with a look of disbelief,  but dont fuckin grin like an idiot !

• Like 1

Why is Adam Blackmore/Solent not allowed to speak to Ralph after matches now ? Is it a Covid safeguarding thing ?

Listening to Solent on the way home even they openly admitted the Walcott selection was baffling as was the fact he lasted over 70 minutes.

Edited by beatlesaint

23 minutes ago, Snopper said:

Fair points. Giving him his dues, his overall performances recently have been much improved. His assist last week, his early ball in for Theo's chance yesterday - these are the kind of things we have been crying out for from him for the last couple of seasons. Good on him.

However, I won't apologise for berating that miss. You can't be missing chances as good as that in the PL and still expect to win games. It probably didn't impact the result overall because it was still 0-1 at that point and we wouldn't have then gone on to score the two goals we did if that had gone in. But imagine him missing that in the dying minutes of a close game with the scores even. Would we still be calling for people to go easy on him?

Edited by Sheaf Saint

Yep. My nan could’ve put that in.  Worst miss I have seen for many a moon

1 hour ago, Toussaint said:

But, and this is on Ralph, you do expect Walcott to miss pretty much every chance, the players who could and should have been picked ahead of him less so.

Good point, the number of people around me vocally slagging off Walcott and to a lesser extent Redmond was ridiculous, one bloke behind me spent most or the game having a tantrum, can't fault the players effort you've got to blame the manager for picking them. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JRM said:

Good point, the number of people around me vocally slagging off Walcott and to a lesser extent Redmond was ridiculous, one bloke behind me spent most or the game having a tantrum, can't fault the players effort you've got to blame the manager for picking them. 

Saints fan so annoy me. So many moaners about Walcott. Yeah we know but get behind the players you twats. Contrast with away fans singing Long’s name as he warms up. And yes we know his massive limitations but it is called support.

9 hours ago, Nordic Saint said:

Burnley haven't won any of their last 14 Premier League games. It's half a year since they last won a league game. They are in the bottom 3 and almost certain to be relegated. About the only team with a worse record than theirs in that period is...? Today, we made them look good. Drawing at home against them is as bad as drawing at home against Norwich. That has to be a massive wake up call. No more Walcott; no more McCarthy; KWP at right back, Livramento right midfield, Stuart Armstrong starting alongside him, Broja as our main striker with all of our other players instructed to get the ball to him at every opportunity - it's time to cut the cr@p.

Burnley never get relegated. 
how do you square a point at Man City through your lens of comparing opposition’s previous games? 

1 hour ago, Rickman42 said:

As always there’s a few panicking on the forum…

missed some key chances yesterday, but 4 points out of 6 is a decent return from the last two games. 

A couple of wins over the next few games (Watford, Villa, Norwich) and we can all relax a little

Tino and Broja…wow. A level above the rest! Still unsure on Perraud. Salisu still had a good game despite 2 conceded…

I'm still hoping we'll get 10 points(6 more needed from next 3) from this run, which would be a very good return.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Fair points. Giving him his dues, his overall performances recently have been much improved. His assist last week, his early ball in for Theo's chance yesterday - these are the kind of things we have been crying out for from him for the last couple of seasons. Good on him.

However, I won't apologise for berating that miss. You can't be missing chances as good as that in the PL and still expect to win games. It probably didn't impact the result overall because it was still 0-1 at that point and we wouldn't have then gone on to score the two goals we did if that had gone in. But imagine him missing that in the dying minutes of a close game with the scores even. Would we still be calling for people to go easy on him?

I agree.  That miss was of itself incredulous and deserves criticism.  I think my main grumble on here is that it would be more acceptable to read constructive criticism than the personal abuse towards our players.  But maybe each `struggling` team needs a scapegoat or two.

50 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

I agree that it was a terrible miss, but he gets abuse much of the time. Personally i think he is mentally strong as he is subjected to so much bile by the uneducated at games. Anyway I still enjoy what he gives on the pitch

1 minute ago, OldNick said:

I agree that it was a terrible miss, but he gets abuse much of the time. Personally i think he is mentally strong as he is subjected to so much bile by the uneducated at games. Anyway I still enjoy what he gives on the pitch

Personally I dont think he's mentally strong, nowhere near. If he was there would be an "i'll show you" attitude about his play and when hes not playing well, which lets be totally honest is more often than not, he goes missing and contributes nothing. Even Ralph has subbed him early a couple of times, once at half time if memory serves. 

I bet Dave Merrington, the king of mental strength and toughness, wouldnt be telling you Redmoind is mentally strong.  

I'm surprised that while the same players as usual get pelters, Bednarek continues to almost escape any criticism.

Theo wasn't great but also wasn't as bad as people have made out and that chance he missed was far from easy. Redders missed a sitter but has been one of our better players recently.

Bednarek has been terrible for a long while now and his defending on the second goal was pathetic, frankly. The biggest mistake the club made in the summer was not signing a starting CB to partner Salisu.

Anyway my first game since March 2020 and on the whole enjoyed it, but frustrating not to win.

12 minutes ago, OldNick said:

I think he's one of the, if not the most, mentally fragile player we have. The one player you could guarantee will shrink when the going gets tough.

If you enjoy what Redmond brings on the pitch then you must have a very low bar!

• Like 1

Redmond has done ok this season. He’s still Redmond, but the fact he’s in the starting 11 is a damning indication of just how patchy/poor Djneppo, Walcott & Mo are. All of them have flattered to deceive  and none of them have nailed down a starting place in what is a pretty poor side.

We’re somehow ended up with arguably our best performer from last season (KWP) sat on the bench. Frankly we’re not good enough to have players of that standard on the bench. The manager needs a system where our best 11 are playing, and I don’t mean playing right backs at  left back or wide midfielders up front. Surely to god it’s worth trying Tino in front of KWP, he can’t do any worse than the blokes we do play there. And what’s wrong with A Armstrong playing off the big lad up front. When fit Stuart Armstrong can play left side, with 2 of JWP/OR/Diallo in the centre. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Forester said:

Away on holiday so watched on TV.  For all the great things he did, Tino clearly at fault for first goal.  Thought he played very well apart from that, as did Diallo who has looked full of energy these last two games.

Disappointed not to win it but a point note end of the world.  Watford game looks tougher after yesterday but if we win that then seven points from three games is what I was hoping for.  

For all his undoubted quality that was a shocking bit of defending by Tino for the first goal. It was pretty obvious that the ball in was going to sail over Bednarek.  I think it adds weight to KWP playing full back as I am sure he would have at least challenged Cornet for the ball. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Redmond has done ok this season. He’s still Redmond, but the fact he’s in the starting 11 is a damning indication of just how patchy/poor Djneppo, Walcott & Mo are. All of them have flattered to deceive  and none of them have nailed down a starting place in what is a pretty poor side.

We’re somehow ended up with arguably our best performer from last season (KWP) sat on the bench. Frankly we’re not good enough to have players of that standard on the bench. The manager needs a system where our best 11 are playing, and I don’t mean playing right backs at  left back or wide midfielders up front. Surely to god it’s worth trying Tino in front of KWP, he can’t do any worse than the blokes we do play there. And what’s wrong with A Armstrong playing off the big lad up front. When fit Stuart Armstrong can play left side, with 2 of JWP/OR/Diallo in the centre. 

Yeah, I cant understand why for years Ralph had to play 4222, and now he could have Broja and AA in these roles, doing really well, and we cant score enough goals, and have shite 10’s, he then plays with only 1 striker.

1 minute ago, Billy the Kidd said:

Yeah, I cant understand why for years Ralph had to play 4222, and now he could have Broja and AA in these roles, doing really well, and we cant score enough goals, and have shite 10’s, he then plays with only 1 striker.

I know playing full backs further up the park is sometimes just a lazy call from supporters & isn’t always a good move. But Tino is a young man and is he really a full back? I’ll be amazed if he plays out his career there, he’s got midfielder written all over him to me (maybe even central eventually). So why not try it, even if it’s a total fuck up, it can’t be any worse than Walcott. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Billy the Kidd said:

I was just disappointed Adam Armstrong got so little time on the pitch with us drawing.

• Like 1