Saints 2-2 Burnley - Match Thread

Lighthouse

Annoying result but (and I'm grasping here) it does at least keep Burnley below Saints. There can be no doubt we are in a relegation dog fight this year, results like this keep our head above water.

October and I'm already looking at results this way 😲

So Watford next ..... oh

Frustrating. Very much 2 points dropped.

Second goal felt like the centre backs weaknesses shown up, aerially Salisu was done and then pace wise Bednarek caught cold.

Didn't seem to have much clue later on in the game, summed up by three minutes of keep ball only for Armstrong to gift burnley the ball during injury time

Felt the subs could have come earlier, not sure why A.Armstrong has dropped so far down the pecking order to only get 5 minutes.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Minsk said:

He has been playing, and he will play more. Guarantee he will start against Chelsea in midweek. It's a loooong season.

Maybe you would be happier if we didn't play Tino and he wanted to leave instead?

I would be happier if we invested money in the weakest positions in the squad rather than a position we already have a quality player in. 

• Like 1

It’s not fashionable to say this but Burnley are a decent side with some solid players. Disappointed with a point but I’ll take it. With remotely decent finishing it would have been a comfortable three.

Theo is too soft for games like this and should never have started. But with S. Armstrong coming back to full fitness it’s unlikely to happen again.

Bednarek was my preferred option to partner Salisu, but not any more. Faultable on both goals. We need Stephens back.

• Confused 1

Missed all our chances when we were playing quite well in the first half, created next to nothing in the second, customary defensively lapses, lack of quality etc.

Just another weekend.

I don't know why any manager would start Theo Walcott these days. All he ever had to his game was pace, and that's long gone. There's not another person alive who expected anything from him today. What on earth is the point?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

I would be happier if we invested money in the weakest positions in the squad rather than a position we already have a quality player in. 

Ah, right. So you're unhappy that we signed Livramento......... 🙄

Damn that was a frustrating last thirty mins... RH should have made changes earlier, Stu for Theo was so obvious (although Stu did look really rusty)

The boys did ok before then and that goal from Broja was really beautiful.

Hope we don't come to regret the two dropped points.

Tino is a baller ...wow.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, verlaine1979 said:

Can't be happy drawing against a winless team in the bottom three. They had the better chances after the equalizer. We looked lost up front as soon as Broja went off.

And typically, the moment he was off Redmond put in a cross for Adams that he probably would have buried.

Livramento and Broja both looked excellent. 

Not convinced by Perraud - KWP deserves to be playing particularly after Chelsea.

I would be more effective than Walcott if I was blind folded and sent onto the pitch. Thank goodness Armstrong is back. 

• Sad 1

Disappointed not to get the win, but a draw better than a defeat. 2 missed sitters and the one off the post would say we edged the match/chances. Hey ho, it could be worse.... And at least this will give the whingers something to gripe about... 

• Like 1

random thoughts,

Mo El has been more and more influential these last few games i'd like to see him and armstrong start as inside forwards purely for their direct running.

Diallo early quick balls have made a big difference to us going forward.

Thanks chelsea - can we borrow some more

Redders maybe time to move to left full back - get far away from the goal

• Haha 1

3 wins from 54 games for the bottom 6, none of the bottom 3 have won a single game after 9 rounds of matches. These statistics must surely be unprecedented. We're basically in a little mini league of 6 shit teams (plus Watford who - incredibly - beat Everton 2-5). Still think we'll be alright so hey-ho.

I thought that was actually a decent game to watch, neither side had any control of it at any point though...that was the prob.

We had a very, very strong spell from around 30ish min onwards. Awful miss by both Theo and Redmond, you'd say he'd never miss it again 99 times out of 100...but he probably would to be fair.

Broja was a handful, very tidy finish for the goal - tight angle that, don't have anyone else who can finish that clinically. Midfield were ok, Diallo was decent and mobile but I felt we struggle to gain any real control.

Best player on the pitch was Livramento, no one close. Perruad, still growing into the league I guess...but nothing special to his game is showing to me thus far.

Theo...one fo the worst signings we've ever made in the PL. Pointless waste of time. Nothing more than a fanboy signing, he might as well just retire and become an ambassador for the club or something.

Frustrations from the window for me - needed a better number 10. Needed to use the Vestergaard sale to upgrade on Bednarek, as he's struggling to recover from that last 9-0 if I'm honest. Incapable of defending, always wrong side, always shrugged off the ball. Needs to sort himself out.

Frustrating overall, but I thought we played well at points and had the better chances in my eyes. This season is nothing more than a bottom half struggle, I'd be surprised to see anything else.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 4

17 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Tino only cost £5m though?

I'd understand your argument if we spent £30m on him or something but ultimately if we buy a £1m squad filler in CM who is better than Romeu/JWP then I don't think anyone would be complaining if he started every game.

21 minutes ago, cloggy saint said:

You say 'the likes of Burnley' as if we're a different class to them. I'd say we're about par, maybe slightly better but no divine right to beat them.

Which is precisely why we need to be beating them  - they are direct rivals for relegation. Never mentioned divine right. 

Edited by adrian lord

1 minute ago, Baird of the land said:

Don't think we are going down. Would have loved the extra 2 points but after a tough start we are still well outside the relegation zone.

Five points clear is hardly well outside the relegation zone we could easily get sucked into it 

3 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

We were the better team. Both of their goals were preventable, especially the second one.

Yes but the point was they weren't prevented, which is why we are where we are. How long do you excuse performance after performance? The worst achievers in any woke of life are the unluckiest - maybe at some point you need to change them to change your luck?

Was it luck that saw Theo start or stay on so long, or lack of subs for so long. It is clear as night and day that Livra is so so much better going forward than defending so why not KWP at RB and Livra at RM, where with Theo we have effectively no one. Oh forgot, cos our genius manager thinks Livra is not ready for RM. Playing well in spells is not winning us games - Burnley first half had one chance and scored - we had how many? And it's not unlucky when it happens game after game (Wolves and most of last season). We have a decent enough squad to be comfortably mid table but we just can't perform for the full game - so who is responsible for this? For me it's Ralph

• Like 3

Here we go again. Season after season we play well against the better teams and struggle against those  around and below us. It’s so bloody frustrating being a Saint. Why can we, the mere spectators, see the  weaknesses and yet our illustrious Manager continues with them. Play your bloody heart out for the first sixty and then bring on the fresh legs. Burnley were there for the taking and the same offenders let us down. Come on Ralph. Please show a bit of initiative and utilise our best players to start. I live in hope.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, nta786 said:

I'd understand your argument if we spent £30m on him or something but ultimately if we buy a £1m squad filler in CM who is better than Romeu/JWP then I don't think anyone would be complaining if he started every game.

I think we'll sell KWP in the January window. If it funds the creative 10 we need then so be it.

2 minutes ago, nta786 said:

Buying Tino for £5m and seeing his value soar after only a handful of games isn't the problem with our recruitment. Spending £30m on Adams and Armstrong and not having a decent creative AM is a far bigger failing.

We actually played some good football. Their second seemed to kill the game and the subs meant it lost fluidity.

It does feel like two points dropped but we were a post width's away on more than one occasion and we did well to turn the game around from their early goal which felt like a sucker punch.

If we miss other chances to pick up points in this favourable run this result will look worse but Burnley are no mugs and, if we can build on this, it may look better in context.

McCarthy - decent overall, distribution poor at times.

Livramento - he will be some player. Yes, partially at fault for the first goal but his runs from deep are special. I do hope we can eventually take a look at him and KWP in the same side but it may be too soon in terms of his development. Enjoy him while he's here.

Bednarek - poor. for a big lad he seems to get bullied by some much smaller forwards. positional awareness maybe rather than physicality? 

Salisu - could have done better for the second but plenty to love about this lad. We need to get him tied down so if he does keep on his current trajectory we can hold him for a while longer before commanding a sizeable fee.

Perraud - okay. just a bit 'meh'. Very early days for him and he gets up and down well but his crossing is poor and he doesn't really have much pace.

Romeu - does he what does. tidy, combative but has a limited passing range. did well dropping back to help the cb's.

Diallo - quieter than last week but some incisive passing and looks to move things forward.

Elyounoussi - okay but nothing special today. the movement and link up with him and Redmond is promising but end product lacking.

Redmond - so frustrating! Missed a sitter but had flashes of clever play and I think half the reason he get's so much stick is he can do better.

Walcott - the game passed him by. Some good movement here and there but didn't add much. His half decent chance should have really hit the target at least.

Broja - Good game. Tidy finish and was a handful. Decision making is still raw and he probably could have had 2 or 3 today. 

Ralph -  The game plan actually seemed sensible and Burnley couldn't live with our interplay at times. His subs needed to come earlier and Theo looks like a poor call in hindsight.  I did feel for him when Redmond missed the sitter and Tino smashed the post. We probably should have got the win today and, while he picks the players, its hard to legislate for us passing up several very good chances.

• Like 2

Definitely 2 points dropped, home game against a team in our league who haven't won yet.  Our defending is laughable at times, as was some of our finishing today as well.  I'm assuming that Bednarek doesn't do weights in the gym, so very easily shrugged off the ball.  We played well in parts, but we are just too easy to break down at the back.   Hopefully Norwich are already gone, we then need to be better than 2 other teams,  not sure that I see that right now though. Gonna be one of those long horrible seasons again. 

• Like 1

Well we tried. A decent game and Burnley aren't a terrible side. Would've won had it not been for Redmond being Redmond.

Think if Broja didn't get injured we probably would have had enough to win it. His going off killed it for us.

Stu Armstrong hasn't got back into the swing of things yet. He gave the ball away 2 or 3 times in dangerous positions.

Disappointed not to win but overall not bad.

Edited by niceandfriendly
  • Like 2

Not sure how I feel after that. Writing this without reading thread to not be influenced by it. Exciting game. Can't help but feel that was two points dropped rather than one gained. Their second goal came at the exact wrong time and in exact wrong manner - am I the only one that thinks McCarthy should've done better? Burnley better than their league position suggest but so are we...all these draws are going to kill us if we can't convert them into wins.

Redmond played well, but that mis...arrrgh!

Mistake to start Walcott instead of S. Armstrong. Adams miles off the pace.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, UpweySaint said:

We actually played some good football. Their second seemed to kill the game and the subs meant it lost fluidity.

It does feel like two points dropped but we were a post width's away on more than one occasion and we did well to turn the game around from their early goal which felt like a sucker punch.

If we miss other chances to pick up points in this favourable run this result will look worse but Burnley are no mugs and, if we can build on this, it may look better in context.

McCarthy - decent overall, distribution poor at times.

Livramento - he will be some player. Yes, partially at fault for the first goal but his runs from deep are special. I do hope we can eventually take a look at him and KWP in the same side but it may be too soon in terms of his development. Enjoy him while he's here.

Bednarek - poor. for a big lad he seems to get bullied by some much smaller forwards. positional awareness maybe rather than physicality? 

Salisu - could have done better for the second but plenty to love about this lad. We need to get him tied down so if he does keep on his current trajectory we can hold him for a while longer before commanding a sizeable fee.

Perraud - okay. just a bit 'meh'. Very early days for him and he gets up and down well but his crossing is poor and he doesn't really have much pace.

Romeu - does he what does. tidy, combative but has a limited passing range. did well dropping back to help the cb's.

Diallo - quieter than last week but some incisive passing and looks to move things forward.

Elyounoussi - okay but nothing special today. the movement and link up with him and Redmond is promising but end product lacking.

Redmond - so frustrating! Missed a sitter but had flashes of clever play and I think half the reason he get's so much stick is he can do better.

Walcott - the game passed him by. Some good movement here and there but didn't add much. His half decent chance should have really hit the target at least.

Broja - Good game. Tidy finish and was a handful. Decision making is still raw and he probably could have had 2 or 3 today. 

Ralph -  The game plan actually seemed sensible and Burnley couldn't live with our interplay at times. His subs needed to come earlier and Theo looks like a poor call in hindsight.  I did feel for him when Redmond missed the sitter and Tino smashed the post. We probably should have got the win today and, while he picks the players, its hard to legislate for us passing up several very good chances.

Exactly how I saw it. Definitely wasn't a 'bad' performance, just a wasted opportunity more than anything.

I thought we looked better than Burnley for most of the game.

• Like 5

Should have dropped Romeu back deeper as soon as we went 2 1 up, to try to deal with the knock ons from Wood. Great finish from Cornet though. 

Thought JayRod should have got a straight  red  for that tackle, late, six studs in the shin and both feet of the ground . 

We came back well considering Burnley's disruptive tactics,  not seen that much time wasting since Football Itallia  was on Channel 4

Not sure Redmond wasn't offside for that miss, If Wallcott  scuffed that chance with hos left it would have gone in on the other side of the goal.  When Tino hit the post soon after I thought it was going to be one of those days, so I will take the point and draw a blue line.